TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me in reading this case, I have both inferred but also sort of made an assumption that when trying to think about why LEK made decisions, being logical may not be the correct way to find the answer, because her reasons for making her decisions may not have been logical. It's been awhile since I've read through the facts of the case, but I just remember it really striking me as though she was dealing with mental illness beyond just depression and anxiety. While I completely understand the possibility that she was hiding to escape a dark past (and furthermore protect her daughter from it), my gut feeling just happens to be that she was catastrophizing. I think that whatever she was running from felt genuinely insurmountable to her, but I also think that the threat was greatly exaggerated in her mind. This is part of what makes the story so particularly heartbreaking.

:yesss: You are invited !!

Join Tricia's chat tomorrow, Thursday night at 8:30 PM Eastern. Topics will include the unidentified in the Long Island Serial Killer case, and about Websleuths and the new docu-series coming soon. Guests include the Directors and Producers of Cropsey and Killer Legends Josh Zeman and Rachel Mills, our WS Admin Bessie, and WS members.

Just CLICK HERE www.truecrimeradio.com/chat to join the live chat 8:30 PM Eastern on True Crime Radio. Then at 9 PM click on the blue "Listen Now" tab at the top of the chatroom page to hear the live show with these amazing guests.

You won’t want to miss this great show. Hope to see you there :seeya:

It's possible nobody is looking for this woman. Perhaps she did not even attend school as a child. Perhaps one or both parents were also mentally ill and one committed suicide. There have been cases of extremely reclusive families who do not stay I contact with relatives to the point that they dont even know about a child.
I do wonder about her siblings, if any.
In any case, very sad story all around.

I've just stumbled across a Becky Sue Turner thread and seen the photo of BST's dad for the first time - wow he looks like Lori!

I need to go back and suss out why there is even a thread for Becky, is it just because of the ID change link to this case? Or is there a separate reason? She died in a fire, right?

I've just stumbled across a Becky Sue Turner thread and seen the photo of BST's dad for the first time - wow he looks like Lori!

I need to go back and suss out why there is even a thread for Becky, is it just because of the ID change link to this case? Or is there a separate reason? She died in a fire, right?

Yes a house fire at the age of two...

I sincerely apologize but I am having trouble posting, only part of them are gett8ng posted.
I think also it was extremely to steal someones SS. Was she running from a past that was so scary she felt a name change was not enough? Is that why she walked the perimeter of her property, and did not speak to neighbors? Was she raised in a very strict, reclusive, religious environment? Why did she dress so matronly, and when the future in laws wanted to make a marriage announcement state "we don't do that" Who is "we"? Or was she afraid s9meone would see her picture? Did she come to believe her in laws were trying to out her? She seemed to be very frightened and overly cautious, I don't know if that was due to mental illness or an extremely horrible past.
Again sorry for all the posts.

Also odd that she researched THEIR genealogy for hours...not strange that Blake brought his twin brother to counseling . Not strange to them, because his brother probably 'translated' for his twin his whole life. It seems like Blake may have had trouble expressing himself. Sometimes twins have that special connection. Not appropriate for couñseling but they may have been so used to it they never gave it a second thought? Just trying to figure this out..

I dont suppose they had any computer forensics done to see what all she had been researching? Maybe she found her real self on the internet and started freaking out. jmo

I dont suppose they had any computer forensics done to see what all she had been researching? Maybe she found her real self on the internet and started freaking out. jmo
(in
Velling stated in the article that the computers were searched and they did not find anything (in their opinion) that was a red flag.
However, I bet if some of the people here on WS got to search her computers they might have something or made some connections. It would be like having fresh eyes and someone with a different outlook looking into her stuff.

It's very strange that she was researching his family. They already knew their own family history. Someone had already written material about it.
Also odd that she researched THEIR genealogy for hours...not strange that Blake brought his twin brother to counseling . Not strange to them, because his brother probably 'translated' for his twin his whole life. It seems like Blake may have had trouble expressing himself. Sometimes twins have that special connection. Not appropriate for couñseling but they may have been so used to it they never gave it a second thought? Just trying to figure this out..

The news paper article states why the brother attended counselling with his brother. If his brother is not a communicator and neither is FLEK, their counselling sessions would not be productive. It's not a twin issue. FLEK had one-on-one sessions, but as noted by the counsellor, it got no where due to her possible mental health issues. How much can you talk about if you are trying so hard to keep a now deeply rooted secret. You can't attend counselling sessions and keep secrets. What could FLEK say, "I lied to my husband about my legal identity. His parents are right in their suspicions, there really is something strange going on. I'm afraid they'll uncover my lies. I'm afraid I could lose my child as a result. I'm afraid I could lose my husband. I'm afraid of being reunited with the people I'm avoiding. I'm afraid of the Turner family finding out I used their deceased child's identity as a starting point." Not the sort of thing one shares with a counsellor who values openness and honesty in a marriage.

If I'm not mistaken, look at BST birth certificate and you'll see she had no ss# listed on it, this would have been the perfect certificate to use, then note she got a ss# after the LEK name change, if I'm wrong on this I apologize, but that's the way I remember it, but there is sooooo much to try to remember, oh and at times I kinda want to think she really was BST

PLOWBOY

No. The article states the brother did the talking "as if translating for Blake". And that it was strange. I still think it may be due to the fact that they were twins but it is kind of a minor point in all this.

Sorry, its BST death certificate, where it says ss# it has no
I guess that means she didn't have one, so once the new name there would have been no whole lot of questions, just my thoughts on that part of it all

Sorry, its BST death certificate, where it says ss# it has no
I guess that means she didn't have one, so once the new name there would have been no whole lot of questions, just my thoughts on that part of it all
Glad we are back to actual sleuthing, this thread seemed to be taken over by Betazoid empaths for a while.

The number on FLEK's Idaho drivers license looks like an employee ID number or whatever it is called. It begins with a 9, so it's not a SSN. The SSA issues them to people who do not qualify for SS, so they can still file their taxes. It probably is something that Idaho generated and not from SSA or Agent Velling would have been all over it. Any thoughts on that?

Glad we are back to actual sleuthing, this thread seemed to be taken over by Betazoid empaths for a while.

The number on FLEK's Idaho drivers license looks like an employee ID number or whatever it is called. It begins with a 9, so it's not a SSN. The SSA issues them to people who do not qualify for SS, so they can still file their taxes. It probably is something that Idaho generated and not from SSA or Agent Velling would have been all over it. Any thoughts on that?
Well, I might have thoughts, but I can't share them with you because Betazoid empaths only communicate with other empaths.

If I'm not mistaken, look at BST birth certificate and you'll see she had no ss# listed on it, this would have been the perfect certificate to use, then note she got a ss# after the LEK name change, if I'm wrong on this I apologize, but that's the way I remember it, but there is sooooo much to try to remember, oh and at times I kinda want to think she really was BST

PLOWBOY

SS# being given at birth is fairly new. In the 80's we were given the form after having a baby but it was not mandatory to send it in. My daughter was born in 93, I don't recall if it was similar to my son in 85. Totally different story with my grandson being born in 2013.

I looked on wiki & the SSA am not seeing it

As far as sleuthing goes...

I'm a member of the school of thought that believes "the notes page" was written by someone other than LEK (except for "These Eyes"). I now believe those notes were written by someone who was trying to find someone else...perhaps someone seeking LEK's mother? Someone helping her track down her mother? (I believe the info spring/summer 1988 gave us was valid, for a lot of reasons). Consider that LEK and her mother may have been separated during LEK's childhood, for whatever reason. Also keep an open mind about who or what LEK's mother might have been fleeing. For example, if LEK's mother was running from a man, it doesn't necessarily mean that man was LEK's father. It could have been husband or boyfriend number 2..or 3...or 4... And she might not have been running from a person, but a lifestyle, a situation. I'm pretty sure that if you sleuth the mom, you'll find LEK's story.

As far as sleuthing goes...

I'm a member of the school of thought that believes "the notes page" was written by someone other than LEK (except for "These Eyes"). I now believe those notes were written by someone who was trying to find someone else...perhaps someone seeking LEK's mother? Someone helping her track down her mother? (I believe the info spring/summer 1988 gave us was valid, for a lot of reasons). Consider that LEK and her mother may have been separated during LEK's childhood, for whatever reason. Also keep an open mind about who or what LEK's mother might have been fleeing. For example, if LEK's mother was running from a man, it doesn't necessarily mean that man was LEK's father. It could have been husband or boyfriend number 2..or 3...or 4... And she might not have been running from a person, but a lifestyle, a situation. I'm pretty sure that if you sleuth the mom, you'll find LEK's story.
Two of my friends died in a tragic car accident when I was in high school, at ages 16 and 15 respectively. Teens morn in different ways, and many of us visited the crash site, as well as the totaled vehicle at the towing yard. When I visited with my friends, I found a piece of notebook paper on the back floorboard where my friend Jamie had doodled on the page of a half written homework assignment, dated at the top with the day he died. The boys families' had already taken all they wanted out of the wreckage, and encouraged us to take anything else. At the moment, just seeing his carefree handwriting, not knowing that at the end of that day he would be gone, made this sheet of paper special to me. I took it home, and I still have it in my high school scrapbook, 23 years later.

I don't remember telling my mom or my husband about this piece of paper, so if I was in FLEK's shoes and someone found this random sheet of paper in my belongings with seemingly incomplete thoughts, figures, and information on it, one might think that all the info pertains to me. However, it's simply the memory of visiting that car and reading Jamie's chicken scratch handwriting through blurred tears that day that the paper is symbolic.

I'm sure that Blake or others could identify FLEK's handwriting, but there's a possibility the info the paper contains is meaningless and it was a memory that she kept.

Two of my friends died in a tragic car accident when I was in high school, at ages 16 and 15 respectively. Teens morn in different ways, and many of us visited the crash site, as well as the totaled vehicle at the towing yard. When I visited with my friends, I found a piece of notebook paper on the back floorboard where my friend Jamie had doodled on the page of a half written homework assignment, dated at the top with the day he died. The boys families' had already taken all they wanted out of the wreckage, and encouraged us to take anything else. At the moment, just seeing his carefree handwriting, not knowing that at the end of that day he would be gone, made this sheet of paper special to me. I took it home, and I still have it in my high school scrapbook, 23 years later.

I don't remember telling my mom or my husband about this piece of paper, so if I was in FLEK's shoes and someone found this random sheet of paper in my belongings with seemingly incomplete thoughts, figures, and information on it, one might think that all the info pertains to me. However, it's simply the memory of visiting that car and reading Jamie's chicken scratch handwriting through blurred tears that day that the paper is symbolic.

So sorry for your loss. Glad you were able to get the paper. I also would have saved the paper like you.

I'm sure that Blake or others could identify FLEK's handwriting, but there's a possibility the info the paper contains is meaningless and it was a memory that she kept.

IIRC, the articles said it was her handwriting. Would have to go back and look. I'm sure Blake would have told them yes or no.

Want to link the articles. Anyone new to her case may want to back them up because the Seattle Times updated their web site, some links like the timeline are not working anymore. Gallery: Evidence Jane Doe left behind isn't working for me on the new link but works on the old

New York Daily News -
Texas woman’s true identity baffles ex-husband, authorities years after her suicide
‘Lori Erica Ruff’ managed to fool everyone about who she was, living under various names before taking her secrets to the grave. BY Nina Golgowski - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 11:32 AM

Fox News -
Three years after Texas woman’s suicide, a question lingers: Who was she? By Cristina Corbin - Published June 26, 2013

The Seattle Times -
She stole another’s identity, and took her secret to the grave. Who was she? Originally published June 22, 2013 at 10:00 pm Updated June 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Gallery: Evidence Jane Doe left behind - Originally published June 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm Updated January 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

Who is Jane Doe? We still don’t know By Maureen O'Hagan Originally published July 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM | Page modified July 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard