Georgia jogger killed by plane

Link

Ga. man running on beach was killed by plane on Hilton Head; pilot is from Chesapeake, Va.

A Georgia man was running and listening to his iPod on the beach on Hilton Head Island when he was struck and killed by an airplane that made an emergency landing Monday near Palmetto Dunes, the Beaufort County Coroner’s Office said today.

The victim was identified as Robert Gary Jones, 38, of Woodstock, Ga. Authorities say he probably did not see or hear the plane coming down because it had no power.

Geez, God must have really wanted this guy to go. Take any of the numerous pieces that caused this to happen away and it doesn't happen.

1. The guy doesn't fly that exact way and at that exact speed and or takes off later or earlier by a few seconds.
2. The engine malfunction occurs one or two seconds before or after it did.
3. The oil leaves room enough for the pilot to see and land better.
4. The jogger starts his run or adjusts his speed by a difference of two or three seconds.
5. His iPod is between songs.
6. The plane makes enough noise to be heard.
7-infinity He doesn't take the vacation in Hilton Head or makes it a few days earlier or later, he doesn't get up at the exact time he did, he takes less or more time getting ready, he chooses a different route, he forgets his iPod and on and on.

This is a needle in a haystack death. It makes you realize that anything can happen at any time.

At least the guy probably never knew what hit him.

Indeed, a rare set of circumstances all coming together to a terribly tragic end.

(Brings to mind a freak lightning strike on a beach which killed a familiar reporter back in the JBR case days.)

I do have to wonder about tethering ourselves to earphones, no matter whether we are traveling in auto or on foot. Speaking as one who is hearing-impaired, I wish my tuner had a Volume Up knob to keep me aware.

My condolences to the young family who lost a husband and father...and also to the pilot who followed instructions and ended-up inadvertantly killing someone on the ground.

Indeed, a rare set of circumstances all coming together to a terribly tragic end.

(Brings to mind a freak lightning strike on a beach which killed a familiar reporter back in the JBR case days.)

I do have to wonder about tethering ourselves to earphones, no matter whether we are traveling in auto or on foot. Speaking as one who is hearing-impaired, I wish my tuner had a Volume Up knob to keep me aware.

My condolences to the young family who lost a husband and father...and also to the pilot who followed instructions and ended-up inadvertantly killing someone on the ground.

That pilot has got to be feeling a lot of weird things now. He knows he did the best he could under a bad situation and yet the one in a billion problem occurs. Before he knew he had hit anyone he was probably relieved he had managed to land without killing himself or his passenger.

When I picture the scene, I think: Six Feet Under.

It's a terrible tragedy.

That said, picture that opening sequence: jogger, silent glider, WHOMP!, sound of seagulls.

Link

Ga. man running on beach was killed by plane on Hilton Head; pilot is from Chesapeake, Va.

A Georgia man was running and listening to his iPod on the beach on Hilton Head Island when he was struck and killed by an airplane that made an emergency landing Monday near Palmetto Dunes, the Beaufort County Coroner’s Office said today.

The victim was identified as Robert Gary Jones, 38, of Woodstock, Ga. Authorities say he probably did not see or hear the plane coming down because it had no power.

Geez, God must have really wanted this guy to go. Take any of the numerous pieces that caused this to happen away and it doesn't happen.

1. The guy doesn't fly that exact way and at that exact speed and or takes off later or earlier by a few seconds.
2. The engine malfunction occurs one or two seconds before or after it did.
3. The oil leaves room enough for the pilot to see and land better.
4. The jogger starts his run or adjusts his speed by a difference of two or three seconds.
5. His iPod is between songs.
6. The plane makes enough noise to be heard.
7-infinity He doesn't take the vacation in Hilton Head or makes it a few days earlier or later, he doesn't get up at the exact time he did, he takes less or more time getting ready, he chooses a different route, he forgets his iPod and on and on.

This is a needle in a haystack death. It makes you realize that anything can happen at any time.
At least the guy probably never knew what hit him.

Isn't that the truth.

That's actually an excellent point (tragic circumstances aside.) People, be aware of the world around you at all times... it might be something that saves your life or the life of a loved one.
iPods are wonderful...as are cell phones. But there's a reason why you shouldn't drive or text while using one at the same time.
The same goes for any other device that might interfere with your awareness of the world around you.

We have a lot to learn about personal safety from the hearing and vision impaired people of this world.

Oriah

The one contributing factor that Steely Dan left out of the many pieces was the fact that the jogger had his iPod on earphones on. I agree with Shana that there is a certain risk that people take when they go out into the world without the ability to hear what is going on around them. Had he had that important sense tuned in it could have saved his life.

That being said, I feel terribly for the victim, his family and the pilot. This is one of those tragic accidents that makes you aware of the need to appreciate every minute of life.

How horrible for the runner and his family. I know when I run I never use an ipod just for the fact that you can’t stay tuned to your surroundings. I used to fear cars, never thinking I’d have to be fearful of a plane. It’s so tragic for someone to lose their life this way.

What an awful freaky accident. I feel terrible for both parties.

I understand and agree that in most instances you should not have ear plugs on while traveling (walking, driving, etc.)

But there's that little part of me that thinks...well if you can't even take a walk on the beach to get some serene alone time....
where the heck can you go.

Sometimes,there's too much going on in the world.:(

What an awful freaky accident. I feel terrible for both parties.

I understand and agree that in most instances you should not have ear plugs on while traveling (walking, driving, etc.)

But there's that little part of me that thinks...well if you can't even take a walk on the beach to get some serene alone time....
where the heck can you go.

Sometimes,there's too much going on in the world.:(

Yes, there truly is!

But a walk on the beach, you can listen to the waves breaking, or seagulls yakking, or children laughing...why does one need an iPod?

(my keyboard is out of battery power, may bbl with an edit)

ETA: This was a freak accident. If ppl prefer to listen to music while on a beach, they surely have and should have that option. ITA with what you say! :)

I never run without my ipod so I hope you don't read about me on here some day!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back