Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 2880DFCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2880dfca.html

Lynn Bernadette Luray
Missing since August 17, 1964 from Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: October 5, 1948
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0" (152 cm); 100 lbs (45 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Lynn's eyes may appear to be hazel or green. Her height and weight are approximations.
•Dentals: Not available.
•DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Luray was last seen in Long Beach, California on August 17, 1964.
She may have traveled out of the area in the company of an adult male.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office
323-267-4800

Agency Case Number: 009-00125-3199-400

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
California DOJ

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/luray_lynn.html

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/5669
NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: Samples submitted-testing complete
Fingerprints: NA

Lyn has been missing 46 years today. Come home soon.

Attachments

• LBLuray.jpg
    LBLuray.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 305
  • LBLuray1.jpg
    LBLuray1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 296
I wonder where Rodney Alcala was at this time? Is there any possiblity he was involved?

Rodney Alcala was discharged from the Army on "medical" grounds in 1964. I was not really able to find out when in 1964, though.

I found this while searching the Alcala timeline thread:

2ms386r.gif

Source:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/alcala-243387-photos-detectives.html?graphics=1#graphics1

I'm not clicking on that link until I get more information about what it contains.

I'm pretty sure from a few seconds of watching the video it's Alcala's appearance on The Dating Game.

In the last few years, since about 2012/13, various posts have been popping up on the wilder fringes of the net suggesting Lynn Luray was with a Joseph Rea Cary, who was wanted on gun charges, that they were associated with Dennis Patrick Mower ( a senior member of the Minutemen in California) and that he killed both of them. I have no idea what to make of these allegations but it is possible to confirm that Mower was a minuteman and that he was convicted of gun offences since he made an application for presidential pardon. It seems a credible avenue of investigation and the poster seems to have a lot of detailed knowledge of the time but his credibility is reduced by some of his other stories. Still......why bother to introduce Cary and Luray into a blog about bigger (and wilder) conspiracy theories when they have no other connections?

I am pretty sure the source of these comments is a gentleman called Keith D Gilbert, who has been associated with various extremist groups since the 1960s and has a very long criminal record. However, he is hardly hiding (he lives in Seattle), does have the background to suggest he knew the people he names, and is not making a secret of his allegations. Have the police asked him about his stories and, if not, why not?

In the last few years, since about 2012/13, various posts have been popping up on the wilder fringes of the net suggesting Lynn Luray was with a Joseph Rea Cary, who was wanted on gun charges, that they were associated with Dennis Patrick Mower ( a senior member of the Minutemen in California) and that he killed both of them. I have no idea what to make of these allegations but it is possible to confirm that Mower was a minuteman and that he was convicted of gun offences since he made an application for presidential pardon. It seems a credible avenue of investigation and the poster seems to have a lot of detailed knowledge of the time but his credibility is reduced by some of his other stories. Still......why bother to introduce Cary and Luray into a blog about bigger (and wilder) conspiracy theories when they have no other connections?

I am pretty sure the source of these comments is a gentleman called Keith D Gilbert, who has been associated with various extremist groups since the 1960s and has a very long criminal record. However, he is hardly hiding (he lives in Seattle), does have the background to suggest he knew the people he names, and is not making a secret of his allegations. Have the police asked him about his stories and, if not, why not?

Info on Dennis Patrick Mower... http://zodiackiller.forumotion.com/t445-pastor-dennis-p-mower#2450
Keith Gilbert has seen and done some pretty crazy stuff in his day. As far as Lynn's disappearance, I don't have much to contribute. But if she did get mixed up with Carey and Mower (both Minutemen), then odds are that she was killed for "knowing too much." Mower had a big mouth and may have said some things in front of Lynn that he shouldn't have. But, again, I am not sure that is what happened.

Info on Dennis Patrick Mower... http://zodiackiller.forumotion.com/t445-pastor-dennis-p-mower#2450
Keith Gilbert has seen and done some pretty crazy stuff in his day. As far as Lynn's disappearance, I don't have much to contribute. But if she did get mixed up with Carey and Mower (both Minutemen), then odds are that she was killed for "knowing too much." Mower had a big mouth and may have said some things in front of Lynn that he shouldn't have. But, again, I am not sure that is what happened.
Lynn Luray and Joseph Carey were being harbored by Mower, Carey was a fugitive on a machine-gun charge, Lynn was his underage girl friend, Mower killed both of them after I offered to let them come to Canada and stay with me, I was living then in BC as an international fugitive…at first Mower agreed, later he panicked and ask that I never mention either of them again…he knew that I had seen Lynn at his house after they disappeared. Mower is also the likely actual killer of Dr. Martin Luther King…and Mower was the one that ask me to contact Clinton Wheat, a John Birch Society activist, about selling some machine guns…the buyers turned out to be Lee Harvey Oswald and Gary Hamming…but I declined the sale after meeting with them twice…they did get a Jap Model 99 machine-gun from Wheat though, it had been customized by a shooter/collector and fired the Italian Tierney round…same round the Carcano that Oswald bought.

Dennis Patrick Mower studied with and under Dr. Wesley Swift, Church of Jesus Christ; Christian, out of Lancaster/Palmdale, CA, while all of this was going on. Lynn B. Luray's family were members of Swift's congregation, this is where she met Joseph R. Carey, also a member. When Swift died Richard Gint Butler tried to take over his church and eventually moved to Hayden Lake, ID, where he bought property, built a church building and started what he called "The Church of Jesus Christ; Christian of Aryan Nations" Butler caused a lot of people to go to prison before he died and more than a few killings…he was also an informant with a son in law that was a cop/deputy, I forget what. Butler was a member of the 'silver shirts' of WW-II fame and involved with the John Birch Society with Clinton Wheat and others who became infamous through their mutual association with "The Minutemen" out of Norborne, MO…Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of "The Minutemen" at the time of the JFK assassination but it was most likely Gary Henning/Hemming (sp) that actually killed JFK…giving the "truth" to LHO's claim on film that he hadn't killed anyone…that he was a patsy. A lot of people mysteriously died or disappeared during this period of US history…it was also during this era that Carey & Luray became fugitives and disappeared to become fugitives living with Mower.

Lynn Bernadette Luray
  • lynn_bernadette_luray_1.jpg
  • lynn_bernadette_luray_2.jpg
Lynn, circa 1964; Age-progression to age 66 (circa 2014)

• Missing Since 08/17/1964
  • Missing From Long Beach, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/05/1948 (71)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'9 - 5'0, 85 - 100 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green/hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Lynn was last seen in Long Beach, California at 2:21 p.m. on August 17, 1964. She has never been heard from again. She may have traveled out of the area with an adult male.

Lynn is missing under suspicious circumstances. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
  • Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office 323-267-4800
Source Information

Lynn Bernadette Luray
  • lynn_bernadette_luray_1.jpg
  • lynn_bernadette_luray_2.jpg
Lynn, circa 1964; Age-progression to age 66 (circa 2014)

• Missing Since 08/17/1964
  • Missing From Long Beach, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/05/1948 (71)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'9 - 5'0, 85 - 100 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green/hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Lynn was last seen in Long Beach, California at 2:21 p.m. on August 17, 1964. She has never been heard from again. She may have traveled out of the area with an adult male.

Lynn is missing under suspicious circumstances. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
  • Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office 323-267-4800
Source Information
Of all the suspicious SoCal or NoCal MPs in the 60s, this one has a real dead-end feel to it, but weird that there are folks popping up in this thread claiming she was in league with 60s extremists/fugitives. Not your common occurrence in other threads.

Rodney Alcala was discharged from the Army on "medical" grounds in 1964. I was not really able to find out when in 1964, though.

I was able to find this timeline which was somehow deleted from another post I made here.
According to this (from the Orange County Register article) he was discharged from the Army on February 7, 1964. Lynn was reported missing later in August of that year.

Attachments

• AlcalaTimeline.jpg
    AlcalaTimeline.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
Returning to the strange stories of Keith Gilbert and Dennis Mower; I have found confirmation that Gilbert knew Joseph Ray Carey (spellings seem to vary). Congressional Record contains a copy of the FBI wanted notice for Carey, who was thought to have jumped bail on the firearms charge when Gilbert alleges Mower killed both Carey and Luray. This notice says that Carey 'may be accompanied by Keith Gilbert'.

Of course, this says nothing about whether Luray was with Carey, but it does confirm one link in the Gilbert story.

One question mark I have over Gilbert's story is his claim that the Luray family were members of Wesley Smith's (white extremist) church in Palmdale and that is where she would have met Carey. The Luray's lived in Long Beach (this is confirmed by Lynn attending Long Beach Polytechnic High School) which is over 80 miles. Is this likely?

Last edited:
Thought I would summarise possibilities on the Keith Gilbert allegations that Luray was with Joseph Carey and that they were killed by Dennis Mower, a well known extremist.
  • Gilberts story is fantasy. The only problems with this is that Gilbert can be shown to have had close links to both Carey and Mower, and there seems little if any reason to introduce Luray into a concocted story (unless there is another motive).
  • Gilberts story is true. There is no corroborating evidence other than the circumstantial support of Gilberts proven knowledge of the individuals. Evidence (other than Gilberts word) to show he had met Luray's family and that he was where he said he was at various times would be useful.
  • Gilberts story is partially true, but a cover for Gilbert having committed the murders. I can see no reason for doing this as, before Gilbert went public, no one had linked Carey and Luray and no one had suggested they were murdered by anyone connected to the far right. If Gilbert did it he would have to be very stupid not to have just kept quiet.
  • Gilberts story is a deliberate red herring, designed to provide a cover story if Carey and/or Luray went into hiding. But again, why bring it up, especially at a later date when no one was seriously looking at either disappearance, and particularly if they did make it to Canada where they would be safe
I have no idea what the truth is, but there must be a wealth of information out there which could confirm or refute small details in the story given the close FBI scrutiny of the players at the time and the knowledge of others involved in the far right in the 1960s.

MISSING PERSON
Lynn Bernadette Luray
Lynn%20Luray%20%2866%29_0.jpg

Lynn-Luray-82790_3.jpg

MISSING SINCE: 08/06/1964
SEX: Female
DOB: 10/05/1948
RACE: White
HEIGHT: 4' 9"
EYES: Green
WEIGHT: 95 lbs.
HAIR: Brown
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: No

Lynn was last seen on August 6, 1964 in Long Beach. Photo on the left is age-progressed to 66 years of age. Age progression is provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

Contact AGENCY:

Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
PHONE NUMBER: (323) 890-5500

CASE NUMBER: 009-00133-3199-400

Source:

STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

LINK:
Lynn Bernadette Luray

It seems there may be something to Gilbert's story (although without any indication as to what subsequently happened to Luray and Carey) - at least the FBI seem to have thought so. A clipping from the Daily Independent from Kannapolis NC can be found at The Daily Independent from Kannapolis, North Carolina on January 5, 1966 · Page 18 and can be read by clicking on OCR text. It can more easily be read in the attached picture (which comes from an unapproved site hence me not linking to it but it is a pic of the original clipping). It is a report of an FBI notice seeking Carey as a bail jumper and noting that,
"Carey may be accompanied by .......a 16 year old runaway girl."

Attachments

• carey.jpg
    carey.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads