TX - Child charged in case of 10-year-old special needs boy set on fire

That is really terrible! This is way worse than bullying. That is how the likes of Eric Harris, David Berkowitz, or Omar Mateen start.

The investigation isn't finished yet but it's possible that Kayden's burns are the result of an accident while he and the boys were burning down a shed and not an intentional act by bullies as his parents said. Both the police chief and the fire marshal haven't found any evidence that the boys did it on purpose.

I hope the investigation reveals the truth, whatever it may be. Two accounts are at a little over 240k at last count so regardless Kayden's medical bills will get covered. I just hate to see the other boy's life ruined if it was an accident. What a nightmare. Poor Kayden. :(

A fire that severely burned a special needs child in Kerrville was apparently not intentionally set by another boy, as authorities initially believed, the Kerrville police chief said Thursday.

Kayden Culp, 10, has been in a drug-induced coma at University Hospital in Kerrville with second- and third-degree burns since the incident Sunday. On Wednesday, authorities arrested another boy and charged him with arson.

Kayden’s family has maintained that Kayden was the victim of bullying. He has a hearing impairment and speaks with a lisp, and his parents told the San Antonio Express-News and other news outlets that he has borne the brunt of jokes in the past.
But at a news conference on Thursday police and fire officials said that bullying might not be to blame here. Police Chief David Knight said results of an investigation suggest that Kayden was in a shed on a vacant lot with three other boys and they started a fire. One of the boys poured gas on the flames to make them grow, causing a cascading flash fire that burned Kayden, he said.

Fire Chief Dannie Smith said: “It does not appear that this event was premeditated or that there was any intent to harm any of the juveniles present.”

http://www.bnd.com/news/nation-world/national/article106478247.html

“There was no indication that this was premeditated,” Kerrville Fire Marshal Chris Lee said. “At this point, we’re still actively investigating the situation surrounding the incident. I can’t really release any more information than that.”

Kerrville Police Officer Juan Trevizo said Kayden and three other boys — ages 9, 10 and 11 — started a small fire inside a shed and wanted to make it larger. Another boy grabbed a canister of gasoline and poured it onto the fire. Investigators believe that boy then threw the canister away from him, striking Kayden in the process, Trevizo said, emphasizing that the act did not appear to be intentional.

“None of the evidence points to that,” Trevizo told The Post.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/07/kid-didnt-mean-to-set-fire-to-special-needs-boy-officials-say/

I forgot to add that in the msm articles saying bullies set Kayden on fire the comments are horrific. Here's just one example:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/0...oused-with-gas-set-on-fire-in-texas-town.html

Posters are saying things like burn the right arms of the "bullies," hang them by their necks until they're dead, their parents should be put in a cage and doused in gas, they need to be exterminated and so on. The boys are 9, 10 and 11.

Oh, and a correction: the total about 46k and a YC fund is at 237k. Sorry.

Regardless of intent, what on earth were a group of young children doing out unsupervised?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Any updates? This is so sad!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So scary. If it was intentional...it's totally disgusting.

If it was an accident....why the heck were these kids playing with fire?!

Doing better, has an infection in his lungs but he was stable enough for skin graft surgery which is a good sign.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back