"Perfect storm" of cliches make bad English list

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A "surge" of overused words and phrases formed a "perfect storm" of "post-9/11" cliches in 2007, according to a U.S. university's annual list of words and phrases that deserve to be banned.

Choosing from among 2,000 submissions, the public relations department at Michigan's Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie targeted 19 affronts to the English language in its well-known jab at the worlds of media, sports, advertising and politics.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071231/ts_nm/words_list_dc&printer=1

Great article, DK. I am ashamed to say that the number one offender (perfect storm) has wiggled its way into my conversations! But I'm pretty clean on all the others!

Happy New Year!:)

Great article, DK. I am ashamed to say that the number one offender (perfect storm) has wiggled its way into my conversations! But I'm pretty clean on all the others!

Wow. We really do have some weird things in common. I was thinking the same thing looking at that list! I am so guilty of using "perfect storm."

I hereby vow to remove it from my vocabulary!

Happy New Year SCM! :blowkiss:

Wow. We really do have some weird things in common. I was thinking the same thing looking at that list! I am so guilty of using "perfect storm."

I hereby vow to remove it from my vocabulary!

Happy New Year SCM! :blowkiss:

Me too, angel! And Happy New Year to you! :blowkiss:

I use "it is what it is" alot, but that was about it from that list.

Happy New Year!!!

I wish the phrase, "Time will tell," could be stricken from the English language. :truce:

If they ever add...LMAO...I will be in trouble!:doh: ;)

they really need to add 'nestled' to that list... it bugs the bejeezus out of me!! it's the most overused word ever, by realtors, restaurant owners, and anyone describing a business, piece of real estate, or even a whole town. as in, "this unique little bed & breakfast (house/town/etc) is NESTLED within the rolling hills of blah-de-blah'.... AaaaauuGHHAaaggh! STOP IT!!!!!

A "surge" of overused words and phrases formed a "perfect storm" of "post-9/11" cliches in 2007, according to a U.S. university's annual list of words and phrases that deserve to be banned.

Choosing from among 2,000 submissions, the public relations department at Michigan's Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie targeted 19 affronts to the English language in its well-known jab at the worlds of media, sports, advertising and politics.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071231/ts_nm/words_list_dc&printer=1

http://perfectstorm.warnerbros.com/

:eek:

Doggone, I just learned the "it is what it is" last month.

I am not ready to let go of that yet. Or "the perfect storm."

Hey, they both work.

:slap:

I vote for "post 9-11" being thrown out of the media's vocabulary. That is so overused IMO.

That movie is really scary. It was around WAY before that saying became popular. By the way...that storm REALLY happened.

Never went to the movies to see it, bought the dvd when it was released.
Yep, I remember.

That movie is really scary. It was around WAY before that saying became popular. By the way...that storm REALLY happened.

That's one of my favorite movies - and the book is cool too because it describes a lot more of the storm system. Also, the book has the best description of what it feels like to drown that I have ever read. Awesome book!

A Perfect Storm was a great movie, but it was made over 10 years ago, and I agree that the term has been way overused for years

I'm adding "I'ma" [I'm going to] and "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit." Time for some new material! [Not on this board--in general!]
--T

I'm adding "I'ma" [I'm going to] and "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit." Time for some new material! [Not on this board--in general!]
--T

You think? I still like (and use) that one. But I don't ever hear anyone else in my neck of the woods overusing it. Including myself, I only save it for big-time grossness. Like when my parents allude to having sex or something.:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back