Rudy Guede now eligible for day release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree with your post here and you've put it so well.

My only problem is IMO to be considered "rehabilitated" one needs to be able to accept what they've done and admit to it. Frankly RG still sticking to being in the bathroom while Meredith was killed is simply unacceptable! He should have to fully admit to his active role in her murder, to be considered for any kind of special release.

That is a serious flaw in this system IMO. I do understand the system as it stands he took advantage of the fast track option and like all others is eligible after half his sentence is served. I just disagree that he gets to enjoy any freedoms before he can even admit what he's done.

I have seen his denials of being a thief, drug dealer and drifter. I haven't read a translation of the complete letter. Does he describe the night of the murder in his letter?

Thanks. I don't see anything in his letter where he states what happened on the night of the murder, or that he denies the charges for which he was convicted.

Right I'm not completely talking about the letter. I'm referring mostly to his story he stuck with throughout his trial. As I believe he's a liar for sure and there was no date with Meredith or that he was in the bathroom during the murder. I understand his denial of certain things you mentioned, just simply he should have to admit to playing a part in Meredith's murder to be eligible for any kind so school/work release or parole. IMO

I guess it's asking too much to think a liar will somehow start telling the truth, much like a couple others we know.

Right I'm not completely talking about the letter. I'm referring mostly to his story he stuck with throughout his trial. As I believe he's a liar for sure and there was no date with Meredith or that he was in the bathroom during the murder. I understand his denial of certain things you mentioned, just simply he should have to admit to playing a part in Meredith's murder to be eligible for any kind so school/work release or parole. IMO

I guess it's asking too much to think a liar will somehow start telling the truth, much like a couple others we know.

I don't think he can talk about what really happened on the night of the murder. He has been convicted of some charges, but i suspect that if he started talking, and he said too much, additional charges could be brought against him. I don't know this for sure, but I think it's possible.

I suppose I see it from the perspective that he admitted participation, and some responsibility, for the murder. He had to do that before he could opt for the abbreviated trial. If I understand correctly, the abbreviated trial is a bit like a guilty plea where there is a reduced sentence for accepting responsibility and sparing the family/courts from 7-8 years of trials. I see accepting responsibility for participation in a murder is a huge step towards rehabilitation.

Guede is without doubt a liar. He accepted the evidence against him, including the DNA evidence, but he denies that he held the knives that were used in the murder. I doubt that he will ever admit that he held the knives or reveal more about the night of the murder.

Thanks. I don't see anything in his letter where he states what happened on the night of the murder, or that he denies the charges for which he was convicted.
Well, he has never said anything beyond the "fact" that he was in the bathroom, and "someone else" stabbed Meredith, and that he tried to help her, and fled. That story of his "involvement" has never been retracted and has never changed (to his huge advantage).

Well, he has never said anything beyond the "fact" that he was in the bathroom, and "someone else" stabbed Meredith, and that he tried to help her, and fled. That story of his "involvement" has never been retracted and has never changed (to his huge advantage).

Guede, Knox and Sollecito are convicted of the violent, brutal, prolonged murder of a young woman. They are all known liars. Every statement they make is self serving. We all know that by now.

He is a prisoner in the sex offender wing in prison. I don't understand why anyone would have any expectations of him, or of any other convicted murderer and sex offender, for that matter. These people are not like the rest of us, so the best thing to do is stay away from them and hope that they leave everyone alone for the remainder of their miserable lives. It's unfortunate that the US media has made two convicted murderers into pseudo celebrities, as is does seem to blur the lines in terms of how they should be treated.

I don't think he can talk about what really happened on the night of the murder. He has been convicted of some charges, but i suspect that if he started talking, and he said too much, additional charges could be brought against him. I don't know this for sure, but I think it's possible.

I suppose I see it from the perspective that he admitted participation, and some responsibility, for the murder. He had to do that before he could opt for the abbreviated trial. If I understand correctly, the abbreviated trial is a bit like a guilty plea where there is a reduced sentence for accepting responsibility and sparing the family/courts from 7-8 years of trials. I see accepting responsibility for participation in a murder is a huge step towards rehabilitation.

Guede is without doubt a liar. He accepted the evidence against him, including the DNA evidence, but he denies that he held the knives that were used in the murder. I doubt that he will ever admit that he held the knives or reveal more about the night of the murder.

I agree with you, I too believe he will remain silent for the most part.

Was that video posted up thread actually RG? Because I watched one second and turned it off. I think I'm gonna have nightmares. Wth is up with his eyes??

Was that video posted up thread actually RG? Because I watched one second and turned it off. I think I'm gonna have nightmares. Wth is up with his eyes??

I think he turned his eyelids inside out.

Was that video posted up thread actually RG? Because I watched one second and turned it off. I think I'm gonna have nightmares.

yep, that's him. looks [crazy, demented, irrational -- pick one!] enough to kill, eh?

My understanding is that Guede is studying history, and that he is eligible to attend the university to complete that degree (he hasn't yet made the request). Unless he has an opportunity for synchronous learning, the idea that he should study from prison would, in my opinion, result in a limited learning opportunity. That is, most university courses include group work, class discussion and student presentation. Excluding that component from the course would result in less than ideal course completion.

research disagrees:

http://pkirs.utep.edu/cis4398/Distance Learning v classroom RD.htm
http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/winter44/tucker44.html
http://ponce.inter.edu/cai/surisla/vol2/humani/comparis.htm
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...om/comment-page-4/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

plus, there are thousands of home schooling parents and K-12 students around the world that would disagree as well.

[modsnip]

I commented on the video of Guede as this thread seems to be about him. I think the video of him with the eye thing is gross, but yet he thinks it is funny. So would he join a rape prank presented by Knox as 'funny'? I think he would.

I do agree with your post here and you've put it so well.

My only problem is IMO to be considered "rehabilitated" one needs to be able to accept what they've done and admit to it. Frankly RG still sticking to being in the bathroom while Meredith was killed is simply unacceptable! He should have to fully admit to his active role in her murder, to be considered for any kind of special release.

That is a serious flaw in this system IMO. I do understand the system as it stands he took advantage of the fast track option and like all others is eligible after half his sentence is served. I just disagree that he gets to enjoy any freedoms before he can even admit what he's done.

Amber, you make very good points above. I, too, think that if someone tells the truth, the whole truth, they should get a reduction in their sentence. Now, I know I would probably not feel like that if I were a relative of the victim, but I feel like there should has to be some incentive to get these people to tell the truth. They won't do it for nothing, IYKWIM. So it's kind of confusing, b/c the trial is supposed to be about getting to the truth, but I don't see them giving any incentive for the suspected murderer to tell the truth. For example, if someone tells the entire truth of what happened (not just in this case, I"m talking in murder cases in general), then I don't really see them getting anything back for that. Or do they? I don't know, maybe someone else can answer this? I guess it could have an effect on how many years the judge sentences them for? Maybe someone else can expound on this.

So if they don't have any incentive, in other words "get something back" for telling the whole truth, then we can't expect them to. They actually have more incentive to shut up and say nothing. I guess that is the way the justice system works, but then I think they should change their stated purpose that the goal of a trial is to get to the truth.

Also, another thing to think about I guess is, how does anyone ever know if the "truth" they're supposedly telling is actually the truth? So that becomes a complication as well.

I do see your point and completely agree.

Grade school is quite different than post secondary studies. Post secondary uses synchronous learning ... or, I should say, that is the direction that some post-secondary institutions have taken. Guede could learn from prison, but he needs a laptop, the internet and some software for synchronous interaction with the class.

Grade school is quite different than post secondary studies. Post secondary uses synchronous learning ... or, I should say, that is the direction that some post-secondary institutions have taken. Guede could learn from prison, but he needs a laptop, the internet and some software for synchronous interaction with the class.

the first four links were post-sec. were they even read? (and yes, am well aware the difference b/w grade school and post-sec... but it seems my overall point was missed/ignored...)

that guede's "rights" are being advocated for, is confusing. no one here would do similar for JA or CA (hypothetically) imo. there'd be a loud uproar w/ day release for sure.

while incarcerated, karla homolka earned a psych degree from one of the more prestigious uni's in canada... if she could do that, so can other prisoners imo.

lets wait and see if he really takes advantage of this opportunity to turn his life around...

The letters from Guede posted on some Facebook page started in mid January are a hoax IMO. There's no confirmation from Biscotti that he wrote them or how they ended up on Facebook. One of the letters has him saying he was acquitted of simulating the crime scene yet he was never charged with that.

I think it's very telling excuses are being made for this violent predator being allowed back on the streets within months after only 6.5 years.

AK and RS would have had those same 'excuses' if they had chosen the fast track.

They would be in the exact same position = guilty, and their time would have already been done just as RG.

[modsnip]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member