Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeltaDawn, you are saying that to bash these women will not solve the problem. Maybe not, but pointing out how these two women failed their children will help. It will create awareness of how you have to protect your children and not let them be in the company of a convicted sex offender. There is a reason for anyone being labeled an RSO.

I personally thank God that Brooke's case has the national attention it has.

there is no way it has any effect on his case, he will either be sentenced to life in prison or death depending on the juries prior held opinion of the death penalty (which i have to assume they will charge, they damn well better).

Since I believe that this will be a Fed trial the jury will be picked on the fact that they would have no problem issuing a death penalty verdict.

Kidnapping that ends in death in a federal court carries the DP.

My point exactly..thses women are dumb, stupid, complacent..but they did not committ the crime. They are good as an educational point for parents as a wake up call..but to bash them does not cure the problem.

To my mind, the problem shouldn't exist..but therefore when it does..meaning SO's, then you delete the problem by locking them up or placing them on death row (due to the nature of this crime that is my choice here).

In the perfect world the problem doesn't exist..but it does here..so parents need more education..we need much better laws..if SO's knew 1 strike and you are out, they may not so happily indulge in there crimes.

And we need probation departments and states thate realize that the true SO can and will not be rehabiliated. In this case the state said he was a perfect example of rehab..so who is to blame?

He is to blame for Broole's death..he conned the state, he conned his wife, he conned his daughter.......lets not forget who the real criminal here is...

ITA - these freaks CANNOT be rehabilitated. HOWEVER, mothers with young children (particularly daughters) can do everything within their power to protect their babies. DO NOT marry registered SO's!!! What is so difficult about that rule of thumb when you have young girls??? There are good men out there. These women put these scumbags above their own children. How many times do we see these stories on these boards???

DeltaDawn, you are saying that to bash these women will not solve the problem. Maybe not, but pointing out how these two women failed their children will help. It will create awareness of how you have to protect your children and not let them be in the company of a convicted sex offender. There is a reason for anyone being labeled an RSO.

I absolutely agree..these women should be an educational point for every parent. If I didn't make that clear, then I will now. They are obviously not observant, stupid enough to have SO's in their lives and the lives of their children. Would I want to be their friend, probably not..but I do feel that they didn't perpetrate this crime, they were used as much as their children were. Yet, I do feel sorry for these ladies in what they have to endure for the rest of their lives..the knowledge they opened the door to these men. But, as in any crime, when an innocent person opens the door and a crime is committed..I don't feel it is their fault..the crime and criminal never should have been there in the first place. Bad judgment ...yes..but their fault ..no.. it is the perps fault, educate yourselves, but beware sometimes you can't stop what has already been placed in motion by someone else.

Sooooo true. However, what the hell kind of system allows a convicted SO to marry a women with minor children???? WTH? The system is tragically broken. We can fix it. MJ should have never been released. THESE FREAKS CANNOT BE REHABILITATED!!! What do we have to do to make the "authorities" understand that?????????????????

Well said!

I absolutely agree..these women should be an educational point for every parent. If I didn't make that clear, then I will now. They are obviously not observant, stupid enough to have SO's in their lives and the lives of their children. Would I want to be their friend, probably not..but I do feel that they didn't perpetrate this crime, they were used as much as their children were. Yet, I do feel sorry for these ladies in what they have to endure for the rest of their lives..the knowledge they opened the door to these men. But, as in any crime, when an innocent person opens the door and a crime is committed..I don't feel it is their fault..the crime and criminal never should have been there in the first place. Bad judgment ...yes..but their fault ..no.. it is the perps fault, educate yourselves, but beware sometimes you can't stop what has already been placed in motion by someone else.

ITA - these freaks CANNOT be rehabilitated. HOWEVER, mothers with young children (particularly daughters) can do everything within their power to protect their babies. DO NOT marry registered SO's!!! What is so difficult about that rule of thumb when you have young girls??? There are good men out there. These women put these scumbags above their own children. How many times do we see these stories on these boards???

Too, too many..I agree..and for many reasons..drugs, money, not caring, pimping their own children, and just having a man around the house..

None of them good excuses........none.

In my opinion EVERYONE failed A.R. and Brooke. It is easy to sit back and put the blame on Denise and Cassandra, but they did not do this horrible crime. Could they of stopped it from happening? Maybe, but so could Brookes father, Brookes stepmother, Brookes grandma, A.Rs bio dad, Jacques family members who had dealt with issues in the past, and the list goes on and on. The people in town who knew about Jacques history why where they not screaming from the roof tops, are they responsible also?

There are alot of kids who are molested by family members and these children keep the secret hidden for years and years. Does that make their mothers bad mothers?

There is no question that family members made bad choices in this situation, and they will have to live the rest of their lives with that knowledge. I just don't feel like putting Denise or Cassandra in jail or having their other children taken from their home is the answer.

I think you put it very well in your first statement, Busylady, by stating that everyone failed Brooke and AR. Yes, everyone did.

These two 'mothers' ending up having both married sex offenders? What are the chances of that? Granted, maybe Cassandra could not predict what Gagnon would do, but the marriage broke up for some reason. Then Gagnon re-entered their life. Brooke was even going to visit Gagnon in Texas. I just get this deep gut feeling about these two sisters. There is something very wrong here, and maybe we will hear about all of these associations at trial if not before.

Emotions are running high in this case. While I honestly respect the opinions of everyone, I still stand firm in my opinion of the 'mother's'. And as far as Jacques and Gagnon are concerned, I support the death penalty for the first time in my life.

The State of Vermont shoulders much of the blame. They are the ones who released him, tried to rehab him, and then never followed through when the home visits turned up he was living with children under the age of 16 years old against his probation/parole. They reinforced to the mothers in this particular case that everything was "fine" with this RSO to begin with! Yes, the mothers and the rest of the family did turn their backs to the signs, but the State kept telling them that MJ wasn't a problem anymore. I can't place the total blame on the mothers when the State is as much at fault!

Too, too many..I agree..and for many reasons..drugs, money, not caring, pimping their own children, and just having a man around the house..

None of them good excuses........none.

:).... DeltaDawn, I do agree with quite a lot of what you say. I just want you to know that.

I just have a different 'take' on these two particular women.

I know it has been stated many times that Brooke was going to visit Gagnon in Texas. I don't know that it is true. While it seems that Jim may have said it, where did he get that impression? From her myspace or from Brooke? Was she planning a trip with Cassandra or without? Was she planning any trip at all or was this another thing posted on her myspace by Gagnon and MJ? Too many questions surrounding this so-called trip and without those answers...I don't know what to think.

This may be way out there, but can Brookes family go after for the State for their neglect in letting this guy out and not doing the follow up etc like they should have. Maybe this will not only be a message to all parents out there, but also to the various authorities who basically control whether these guys go back into society and on what conditions they do?

The State of Vermont shoulders much of the blame. They are the ones who released him, tried to rehab him, and then never followed through when the home visits turned up he was living with children under the age of 16 years old against his probation/parole. They reinforced to the mothers in this particular case that everything was "fine" with this RSO to begin with! Yes, the mothers and the rest of the family did turn their backs to the signs, but the State kept telling them that MJ wasn't a problem anymore. I can't place the total blame on the mothers when the State is as much at fault!

Good questions!

I know it has been stated many times that Brooke was going to visit Gagnon in Texas. I don't know that it is true. While it seems that Jim may have said it, where did he get that impression? From her myspace or from Brooke? Was she planning a trip with Cassandra or without? Was she planning any trip at all or was this another thing posted on her myspace by Gagnon and MJ? Too many questions surrounding this so-called trip and without those answers...I don't know what to think.

I respectfully disagree. Parents have an obligation to remove or avoid dangers to their children. There is NO WAY these women did not know that thier children were at risk. I know they were not directly responsible for what happened to AR and Brooke. Still, seems to me there was a LOT of looking the other way. Parents MUST be engaged with their children and there is no way that was happening here. Reading on these boards - I am sick and tired of ****--y parents who don't care about their babies. It bothers me that there are so many tests for the less important parts of life, but any f-ing idiot can have a kid!!!

This may be way out there, but can Brookes family go after for the State for their neglect in letting this guy out and not doing the follow up etc like they should have. Maybe this will not only be a message to all parents out there, but also to the various authorities who basically control whether these guys go back into society and on what conditions they do?
In this case, I don't think it would get them anywhere. Too many people dropped the proverbial ball here. Jim and Janet would stand the better chance of filing such a suit, if it is even possible.

Hello, SS.
I agree with what you are saying and do not place total blame on the mother's, but I do place some.

Brooke's case has garnered national attention and public outcry against sex offenders. Attention has been brought to how lenient the laws are where these sex offenders are concerned. Hopefully, laws will change. Our Louisiana governor has the right idea.

Now maybe more parents will talk with their children about this issue.

I do not rely on my state to priotect my children. That's my job! And I happily and willingly accept the responsibilty.

The real problem are the sex offenders themselves. It begins with them.

I am wondering if the internet is a place for children at all. We don't take them to the neighborhood bar or to places where we know are dangerous...but we put a mouse in their hand and let them journey to much worse. Maybe we need to look at this on a different level and realize we are leaving predators an open door to our children every time they get online.

We are proud when our 5 year old can find his way around a computer. We say we pay attention to the places our 10 year old is visiting and know the people they are talking to. When they turn 13 years old, we give them accessibilities such as cell phones, text messaging, and more internet priviledges to further their abilities in this world. We might as well put up a sign that says, "Pedos Welcome!".

In this age of instant communication and the various ways around security of those devices...we can't protect them from the unseen dangers. We live with a false sense of security, imo. We need to open our own eyes and see the world we have helped to create.

Emails, cell phones, and the internet played a huge role here in the wrong hands.

Hello, SS.
I agree with what you are saying and do not place total blame on the mother's, but I do place some.

Brooke's case has garnered national attention and public outcry against sex offenders. Attention has been brought to how lenient the laws are where these sex offenders are concerned. Hopefully, laws will change. Our Louisiana governor has the right idea.

Now maybe more parents will talk with their children about this issue.[/quote]

I totally agree LA LAW,

Now the alligator needs another walk and I need some sleep.
See everyone in the morning.

DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members