IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

The thread will be closing for the night shortly.

Tricia

Correct but the original conversation started with people suggesting LE was so devastated because the girls might have been found alive.

That doesn't seem a possibility based on the timing as we now know it. I still think they were so upset because of what they saw when the bodies were discovered.

moo

I distinctly recall LE saying that At First They Didn't Know If They Were Looking At A Crime Scene when they found girls.
I've wondered-How could that BE ??

That is one aspect of the case I have never felt there has been a satisfactory explanation. IF the phone was pinging about, it would mean to me it was moving about. I hope there are some techies who know how cell phone pings work to clarify how the phone could be pinging around Delphi, yet still be located in the crime scene (if it was). This is so huge.

Hopefully I can add some clarity to this conversation about the phones. There is a phone thread in the Making a Murderer case here on WS, that has a lot of information on phone pings.

Towers use triangulation. That is if the phone is in the NE quadrant it will ping off the tower as 1 and if it is in the SE to SW quadrant, it will ping off the tower as 2, and likewise if in the NW to N, it will ping off the tower as 3. The phone companies can tell which phones are pinging off the tower and in which quadrant. That narrows down the location of the phone to some extent.

The trouble is most towers reach a distance of between 20 - 30 miles (30 miles or more in rural areas). So, if someone holding a cell phone moves from quadrant 1 to quadrant 3, the tower will record that. Likewise, another tower might pick up the cell phone signal stronger than the first. Thus, the pinging off a different tower. The phone can be in the same location, but the tree cover maybe different, thus the phone will use the signal from the strongest tower. If you have service on your phone, your phone is always searching for a tower. At least that is my understand of the older phones.

Now comes the newer phones (smartphones or LTE phones) and I don't know much about them other than the towers can give coordinates I believe down to a few blocks. They use a different technology. Again, the smartphones are always searching for the tower with the strongest signal. The only time the phone is not searching for a tower, is when it is turned off.

With that said, LE can get the information from the phone companies. I'm not sure how quickly and if they need a subpoena or not. So, IMHO I believe it was a service like find my IPhone or something of that nature. I'm not familiar with how that service works, so sorry can't help with that either.

See you in the morning.

G'night

Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics