MA MA - Alfred J. Gaynor

Thank you for editing, it was late last night I forgot that I shouldn't post an entire story.

Here's a video with some background on this case.

This case killed me-and changed me forever...I am HYPER vigilant since having children simply because the extreme cruelty shown by the perp in this case...I don't know why it never occurred to me that Gaynor was a candidate for this, but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the update hmg...

This is a crazy turn of events. I wonder when the DNA results will be back?

NORTHAMPTON - The lawyer for Paul L. Fickling said he wants evidence in his client's 10-year-old murder case sent directly to the expert hired by the defense.

Attorney Greg T. Schubert told a Superior Court judge Wednesday that sending the prosecution's evidence to a state police laboratory would be like "the fox watching the hen house."

Schubert is seeking a new trial for the 32-year-old Fickling on the basis of a confession by convicted serial killer Alfred L. Gaynor. In a September confession Gaynor said he killed 20-year-old Amy L. Smith and left her 22-month-old daughter Destiny to die in a Springfield apartment in 1996.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/lawyer_wants_evidence_control.html?category=Crime+category=Northampton+category=Springfield

Good to know our state lab is so reliable...

If the DNA points to Gaynor instead of the man that was convicted for the murder why would the man in prison...the cousin...have to have a new trail. If it isn't his DNA won't they just release him from prison?

What a terrible thing for one cousin to do to another...if it is true...but I would bet that the cousin was no upstanding citizen to begin with. Not that it is a reason for him to sit in prison if he isn't guilty.

SPRINGFIELD - "I'm innocent!" Alfred J. Gaynor yelled as he was hauled away in handcuffs from a Pittsfield courtroom nine years ago.

Convicted of murdering four women in what prosecutors portrayed as a string of serial killings, Gaynor maintained his innocence as he was sent off to spend the rest of his life behind bars.....

From 1990 until the time of Gaynor's arrest in April 1998, there were more than a dozen unsolved killings of women in Springfield; ten remain unsolved to this day.

Police are looking at Gaynor as a possible suspect in four more homicides from between April 1995 and November 1997, according to Capt. Robert T. McFarlin, head of the Criminal Investigations Bureau.

Specifically, he said, police are investigating whether he is involved in the following homicides:

--Vera E. Hallums, 34, who was found tied up, beaten and strangled in her Leland Drive apartment April 20, 1995;

--Jill Ann Ermellini, 34, found naked June 16, 1997, in the cab of a truck in an Indian Orchard junkyard;

--Robin M. Atkins, 29, found strangled, bound and gagged in a downtown alley on Oct. 25, 1997; and

--Yvette Torres, 33, whose partially clothed body was found in her Healy Street apartment on Nov. 15, 1997.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/convicted_killer_alfred_gaynor.html?category=Crime&category=Springfield

Hmmm, the fact that they are both in the same prison sets off my hinky meter. Perhaps it's a plan they have cooked up to get the cousin out and let Gaynor take the wrap seeing as he is in on LWOP anyway. MOO

Convicted killer Alfred Gaynor, in admitting Springfield murder of Amy Smith and daughter, says he is a monster
By Buffy Spencer
September 23, 2009, 1:54PM

SPRINGFIELD – Convicted serial killer Alfred J. Gaynor took the witness stand Wednesday in an effort to convince a judge that he murdered Amy Smith in 1996 and left her 22-month-old daughter to die.

...Bennett quizzed Gaynor repeatedly about why his semen was not at the scene of Amy Smith’s killing while it was at the scene of the deaths of the four women whom he was convicted of killing.

Gaynor said he did not want to leave evidence when he raped and killed Smith, which was before he killed the first of the four women he is convicted of murdering.

He said when it came to his next killings after Smith, he left semen because part of him wanted to get caught.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/convicted_killer_alfred_gaynor_1.html

Looks like Gaynor's DNA wasn't there... seems very suspect to me. I think he's taking the wrap for his cousin because he's already sentenced to life in prison.

DA is skeptical of Confession

This is the talk of the town right now in Western Mass so I'm trying to stay as updated as possible.
thanks for posting this hmg.

I wonder if there was any evidence of the sweeper handle being broken? In Gaynor's statement he claimed to break the sweeper handle and "use it" on her. (absolutely sickens me to even type that)

Hmmm, the fact that they are both in the same prison sets off my hinky meter. Perhaps it's a plan they have cooked up to get the cousin out and let Gaynor take the wrap seeing as he is in on LWOP anyway. MOO

That was my thought too. He could just be helping his cousin out.

But I would not put it past him either.

This was such a sad sad crime! In reading the comments of the first link posted, a poster stated the man found guilty of the murder was the babies father and the woman had a restaining order against him, he showed up at the apartment and the police told him to leave but did not arrest him. They also said neighbors saw the toddler banging on the window and just yelled up to get away from the window and go find your mommy. :(

VB

Hampden County DA officially announced today that Alfred Gaynor killed Amy Smith. Gaynor's nephew, Paul Fickling was present at the murder scene but did not kill Smith.

Gaynor also admitted to killing a total of 9 women, up from his original confession of 4. That does not include the toddler who died of starvation due to the death of her mother.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/springfield_serial_killer_alfr.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101212/ap_on_re_us/us_serial_killings_2

Handyman admits to killing at least 8 Mass. women

The one-time handyman did not even pick up a macabre nickname as he attacked and strangled at least eight women in his hometown of Springfield in the 1990s, becoming one of his state's most prolific serial killers.

The scale of his killing spree only recently became clear when Gaynor, imprisoned on four murder convictions, confessed this fall to four other unsolved slayings in which he'd been a longtime suspect. Charges are possible in two more deaths for which he's confessed: a 20-year-old mother and her toddler daughter in 1996.

The deaths terrorized this western Massachusetts city, where Mace permit requests soared as the women's bodies were discovered in alleys, vehicles and their own homes between 1995 and 1998.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This was such a sad sad crime! In reading the comments of the first link posted, a poster stated the man found guilty of the murder was the babies father and the woman had a restaining order against him, he showed up at the apartment and the police told him to leave but did not arrest him. They also said neighbors saw the toddler banging on the window and just yelled up to get away from the window and go find your mommy. :(

VB

So incredibly sad...reminds me of the little girl in England, Tiffany Wright, who was locked up and starved to death by her parents. The poor girl was sometimes seen sitting by the upstairs window, looking out, and nobody checked on her.
She literally starved to death. What kind of monsters are walking this earth??!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back