UT - Salt Lake City Nurse Arrested for Refusing to Draw Blood Sample

From the link:

Wubbels and her attorneys on Thursday released the video they obtained through a public records request to call for change. She has not sued, but that could change, said attorney Jake Macfarlane.

I hope she does sue. Because money is how agencies learn. The out of control cop is blaming his supervisor who he claims told him to arrest the nurse if she got in the way. So he could use the union to contest any firing. This is an agency problem. And he wasn't the only one involved. Te other cop blatantly lying to the nurse is also an issue.

Me too. Based on what we know so far, I'm assuming they were chasing the other guy when they shouldn't have been, so they were hoping the semi driver's blood would show a prohibited substance so they could pin the deadly accident on him. It would explain why this cop was so aggressive/desperate. Shameful.

I hope the media picks up on that a bit more and highlights it as a reason for this outrage.

I have a few questions

1. Did the police officers who gave chase have to give blood?
2. To the arresting officer - if the truck driver was a member of your family, your brother/son or even a member of extended family how would you feel?

I have a few questions

1. Did the police officers who gave chase have to give blood?
2. To the arresting officer - if the truck driver was a member of your family, your brother/son or even a member of extended family how would you feel?

Why would the cops have to give blood? He was an a s s h o l e but he didn't kill anyone.

The cop was wrong. Period. He should be fired but this shouldn't be a witch hunt. He was wrong. He was called out. He should be fired. End of discussion.

Why would the cops have to give blood? He was an a s s h o l e but he didn't kill anyone.

The cop was wrong. Period. He should be fired but this shouldn't be a witch hunt. He was wrong. He was called out. He should be fired. End of discussion.

You missed the point. There were other cops. Why the blood test. Who else. Question mark. Continue discussion.

You missed the point. There were other cops. Why the blood test. Who else. Question mark. Continue discussion.

I get it. The cops wanted her to illegally take blood from an unconscious individual. I'm asking why would the cops need their blood drawn? There's no excusing him period but I just do t get why cop needs his blood drawn. He's already sacked iirc.

The mayor and the chief of police giving a statement:

[video=youtube;cITA9HcX77I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITA9HcX77I[/video]

I get it. The cops wanted her to illegally take blood from an unconscious individual. I'm asking why would the cops need their blood drawn? There's no excusing him period but I just do t get why cop needs his blood drawn. He's already sacked iirc.

No. he has not been sacked.

In the body cam video they stated that they wanted a blood sample to "protect" the truck driver. The fact is that this was a police chase that ended in a fatality, should the police that gave chase not have to give a blood sample too to "protect" them. Their actions do not suggest that they were trying to "protect" the truck driver IMO.

I find it strange that the arresting officer went into a hospital insisting on taking a blood sample after treatment had commenced on the patient, could the arresting officer not have asked if a blood sample was taken before treatment had commenced.

Payne also works as a paramedic; wouldn’t he know that there had already been blood drawn? AND his statement about taking the homeless to University Hospital and taking the “good” patients somewhere else shows he has some serious issues.This guy needs to be investigated. So he’s on paid leave from his jobs. What a deal for him. He also needs a haircut.

In the body cam video they stated that they wanted a blood sample to "protect" the truck driver. The fact is that this was a police chase that ended in a fatality, should the police that gave chase not have to give a blood sample too to "protect" them. Their actions do not suggest that they were trying to "protect" the truck driver IMO.

I find it strange that the arresting officer went into a hospital insisting on taking a blood sample after treatment had commenced on the patient, could the arresting officer not have asked if a blood sample was taken before treatment had commenced.

Any old blood sample will not do forensically. For example- if you are testing for alcohol- the skin prep is different - usually betadine instead of alcohol prep. The type of tube is important, and frankly, trauma patients who have been burned don't always give up the volume of sample needed for cross-matching blood for transfusion and all the other things needed for medical care to proceed. Besides the fact that there was ZERO reason to drug test this victim in the first place....

The officer at the hospital was from the blood draw unit. I'm
Not certain he was part of chase

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A very misguided protest. They are protesting for the firing of one cop. He is probably finished as a cop anyway. Not necessarily, but probably. Meanwhile the other cops who could be heard saying in the video, that they would have done the exact same thing, will still be on the police force. The cop's supervisor who ordered him to do it will still be on the police force. The Police Chief who didn't take any real actions until the case blew up, will still be in charge. The situation is hopeless. Even if the protesters get what they are demanding, nothing will be changed.

[video=cnn;us/2017/09/04/utah-nurse-scared-to-death-sot-newday.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/health/utah-nurse-police-encounter/index.html[/video]

Wubbels said she was "scared to death" during the incident.

"Obviously, I was very frightened, and I think that since this has happened, I've been able to sort of surmise that I feel betrayed. I feel betrayed by the police officers. I feel betrayed by my university police and security."

She said she asked hospital security for help "to have someone protect me because I felt unsafe from Officer Payne from the beginning," she said. How did the university police and security respond?

"By just standing there, looking at their phones, telling me that they couldn't protect me."

I hope she decides to sue.

More than just following the policy of the hospital, she was following the law. Police need a warrant for blood draws. Why didn't they just get one?

I'm also disappointed that the University police did nothing to stop the police from manhandling and arresting her. They just stood by and let the detective go after her. And where was the hospital attorney? They should have sent their attorney down to explain the policy to LE and defend the nurse. No one was protecting her rights or safety as they should have.
Because the patient did nothing wrong..the other driver was being chased by police and crossed over line hitting patient head on..they had no reason for warrant and they knew it..why they tried to bully her into doing it and she would pay with her job and probably never get another job aftet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back