Casey's seizure? NEW INFORMATION 2011.09.08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't her friends from her earlier years say there was a big change in her personality about 2 years ago? I always did wonder about that seizure. Her mother is a nurse and you would think she would insist on a brain scan or eeg.

Didn't her friends from her earlier years say there was a big change in her personality about 2 years ago? I always did wonder about that seizure. Her mother is a nurse and you would think she would insist on a brain scan or eeg.
Typical protocol in ER when a person is brought in for a seizure is some testing, definitely an EEG. More exhaustive studies to rule out tumors and lesions would most likely be up to the patient after release.
But because of HIPAA we may never know what testing was done, unless it comes out in her defense.

Typical protocol in ER when a person is brought in for a seizure is some testing, definitely an EEG. More exhaustive studies to rule out tumors and lesions would most likely be up to the patient after release.
But because of HIPAA we may never know what testing was done, unless it comes out in her defense.

Thanks JBean. :)

Oh man, I hope I didn't give the defense an angle by mentioning lesions....

But, it isn't always typical protocol in an ER to have an EEG. Last time I went to the ER for a seizure, the doc tried to tell me they didn't have an EEG tech on-call...which is BS, because I call them all of the time for different docs, and we are the highest level trauma center in Florida besides Jackson Memorial in Miami....they life-flight everyone to us.

My instructions are : whomever is around me is to call my neurologist on his personal cell phone after a seizure. Those close to me have the number.

By the time a seizure patient gets there, they don't even bother, usually. Ambulances don't have EEGs, either. What they have done with me is sleep deprivation EEGs. Stay up for 24 hours...usually will trigger abnormal electrical activity.

A lot of seizure patients will NOT have abnormal readings...it's like a shot in the dark.

I could be wrong about other hospitals, but ours does not order EEGs automatically for seizures...and we're one of the best!

BTW - I take valium 5 mg 3x a day for my seizures...some people are ineligible for regular seizure meds. Xanax would never be Rx-ed for seizures...if her seizure was withdrawl induced, she was buying them illegally.

Doc drew me a chart explaining the difference between xanax, klonopin and valium. Zanax has the quickest peak, and sudden drop. Klonopin follows and then valium. I am not a canidate for traditional seizure meds because of my weight and appetite problems (whole other story!! lol). I also take Marinol (synthetic THC), which helps with seizure control, as well.

Anyway, like JBean said...every seizure patient is different, as is every doc and every ER/Hospital....but Casey most likely would have been taken to ORMC (Orlando Regional Medical Center, or Orange Park Medical Center) and those hospitals are smaller and less likely to have an EEG tech in-house 24/7

::blah::

HIPPA wouldn't protect her if the judge orders her records released....

But, even being an employee at one of the TOP hospitals in FL, they don't run EEGs unless they can catch a seizure...it is so unlikely, it's unbelievable.

Edit: Doc told my best friend...I don't remember any of what they said..I dont' even remember being there, really. Best friend is also my co-worker and called the Doc out on the EEG tech. Thank god for best friends who are also co-workers.

Did her family not know about this? I have lost track of who knew what and when they knew it.

I have been to the hospital five times for my seizures. Every time they have done a cat scan or MRI. I've had EKG's,chest x-rays and a full blood work up most times. However, they have never done an EEG at the time I was brought in. I have had them done, but I always had to make an appointment for one, and it was always a long wait.

Thanks for that information. My question is... is it common to "froth at the mouth" during one isolated seizure? I'm curious, because when JG further elaborated about KC's seizure, he said she was frothing at the mouth. This was after a night of heavy drinking, he said. I was a little skeptical about that.

It could be it appeared to be "frothing" as some do that in a grand mal seizure. Many just have a lot of saliva, but they tend to somewhat suck it back and forth with their breath in the mouth, thus giving off the "bubbles" appearance.

My guess is since he said they drank for many hours straight and she was a very heavy drinker, she was having a seizure coming off the alcohol. There could have been some drugs involved also. Seizures are very common if someone is coming off Valium or Xanex or Ambiem. They are actually more dangerous to come off of than alcohol after even short periods of use.

It also could have been X, cocaine, meth, etc. Any of the uppers will cause seizures if overdosed.

The trauma center in my area does not order EEGs for seizure patients. They usually treat the patient to stop the seizures if they are in Status epilepticus and if not just observe until the seizure stops.

HIPAA has no effect on court orders. I am sure they got a warrant for the medical information.

The trauma center in my area does not order EEGs for seizure patients. They usually treat the patient to stop the seizures if they are in Status epilepticus and if not just observe until the seizure stops.

HIPAA has no effect on court orders. I am sure they got a warrant for the medical information.
Oh that is interesting, I'll be more careful about talking in such absolutes.
SE is a whole new ballgame as that is life threatening.
When I was referring to HIPAA, I meant we wouldn't be reading it in the newspaper , unless the defense were to reveal it. I don't think the prosecution would get the records and then release them to the press, do you?

I totally agree that the EEG's are a waste of time because unless they are sleep deprived EEG's it is rare to catch.
We don't take my son to the hospital for his seizures we just wait it out.

Oh that is interesting, I'll be more careful about talking in such absolutes.
SE is a whole new ballgame as that is life threatening.
When I was referring to HIPAA, I meant we wouldn't be reading it in the newspaper , unless the defense were to reveal it. I don't think the prosecution would get the records and then release them to the press, do you?

I totally agree that the EEG's are a waste of time because unless they are sleep deprived EEG's it is rare to catch.
We don't take my son to the hospital for his seizures we just wait it out.

Status epilepticus is life threatening, but a regular seizure isn't as you well know. Sometimes they do some IV Valium and maybe some pheno barb, but most times they just wait for them to end unless there are other symptoms or this is a new occurrence. They always run a blood alcohol and a drug screen though, because many times they are drug related in young people.

I don't think medical records will be released until trial. I don't know if they are covered under FOIA or not. If they are they would have to be asked for specifically.

Status epilepticus is life threatening, but a regular seizure isn't as you well know. Sometimes they do some IV Valium and maybe some pheno barb, but most times they just wait for them to end unless there are other symptoms or this is a new occurrence. They always run a blood alcohol and a drug screen though, because many times they are drug related in young people.

I don't think medical records will be released until trial. I don't know if they are covered under FOIA or not. If they are they would have to be asked for specifically.
Regular seizures only bother me regarding my son, because he has a terrible habit of having them in the shower.The shower surfaces are not forgiving and he always blocks the floor drain with his body.

Regular seizures only bother me regarding my son, because he has a terrible habit of having them in the shower.The shower surfaces are not forgiving and he always blocks the floor drain with his body.

Maybe he could get one of those dome shaped drain covers to prevent that?
I thinking of the type that are required in hot tubs and jacuzzi's to prevent children from becoming trapped. Plus the hard surfaces. :(

It must be so worrisome, I'm so sorry to hear that about your son. I hope that in the future we can find a cure. I know what it is like to worry about a child's medical problems. :blowkiss:

Maybe he could get one of those dome shaped drain covers to prevent that?
I thinking of the type that are required in hot tubs and jacuzzi's to prevent children from becoming trapped. Plus the hard surfaces. :(

It must be so worrisome, I'm so sorry to hear that about your son. I hope that in the future we can find a cure. I know what it is like to worry about a child's medical problems. :blowkiss:
You are so sweet Elfie. That is a good idea about the drain cover. More than once I have had to jump in the shower and lift his head.

Well I am offtopic as usual.:bang:

You are so sweet Elfie. That is a good idea about the drain cover. More than once I have had to jump in the shower and lift his head.

Well I am offtopic as usual.:bang:

I think it's perfectly on topic. Anything that sheds light on seizures. You are the sweetie to be here for us, especially with everything going on. Much appreciated. :blowkiss:

This is the first I've heard of this. Yet another example of Casey's parents allowing Casey to not follow rules. After all, they gave her that car.

She has a license, she used it while cashing Amy's checks. There are photocopies of it from police files somewhere in the document threads.

There is a world renown treatment center in Memphis for seizure disorders.

http://www.lebonheur.org/lebonheur/...ience+Institute/Comprehensive+Epilepsy+Center

Thanks for that info. I was born in Memphis and live just on the outskirts of Memphis now and NEVER knew leBonhuer had this dept. Luckily I have never had reason to use it either and PRAY I never do. Though we did have totake our adopted daughter there when she was less than a year old to have tests run as her biomom has a history of them. Our daughter was having episodes where she would stiffen up and not be able to move for a few seconds at a time, and then her hand would tremble uncontrollably. She was given a clean bill of health though after lots of testing. SHe seems to have outgrown it.

I truly beleive IF Casey actually did go to hospital for a seizure , it would have been due to drug use (in my opionion only). Wonder if it was indeed a seizure and not possibly a drug overdose ? Hope LE get this info.

I truly beleive IF Casey actually did go to hospital for a seizure , it would have been due to drug use (in my opionion only). Wonder if it was indeed a seizure and not possibly a drug overdose ? Hope LE get this info.

that, or she faked it for attention. i knew someone who did that, sadly enough. what an actor. and our casey does love attention from her boys...

guess we'll find out...

Jesse states in the 911 call that casey had been drinking heavily the night before, funny how CA never mentioned that fact about her hospital stay,

911 call page 9 of pdf
document page=2559

Remember per CA version of story:
Jesse had Caylee when CA got to hospital. The question is, "Was Casey drinking heavily on nights when she had Caylee with her?"

Jesse states in the 911 call that casey had been drinking heavily the night before, funny how CA never mentioned that fact about her hospital stay,

911 call page 9 of pdf
document page=2559

Remember per CA version of story:
Jesse had Caylee when CA got to hospital. The question is, "Was Casey drinking heavily on nights when she had Caylee with her?"
Did CA know that KC had been drinking heavily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie