Match! CA - Sierra Madre, AsianFem (231UFCA), 16+ *Doungboupa "Dawn" Sihakhom*

the fact thE the la sherrifs department didnt want anything to do with it, speaks volumes why to why these cases never get solved,you obviosly care more than the PAID sherrifs department.its a shame the family never reported her missing. the whole thing probably would have been resolved back then , and maybe somebody could have been arrested.I hope if its her, the police actually try to find out who killed her.AGIAN GOOD LUCK AND GREAT JOB.

I was just thinking, like alot of people on here, but i cant get past the point to why they waited so long to report her missing? did both her parents report her missing ?I know she was working as a stripper[ highrisk},but i would be looking at everything.boyfiends,and i hate to say it even her family.She was only 17 years, old why didnt they call the police to report the stripbar?unbelievable .

You would be amazed how many people go unreported. After about the age of 13, LE automatically assumes runaway, which can discourage some parents. Or they really think the kid is at a friend's place and don't realize for a week that they are missing, and at that point, they don't want to come under suspicion for not reporting a week ago, so they never do. Or the parents have a drug problem or past conviction for something, and protecting their own secrets becomes more important than protecting their child.
There are a lot of reasons why some people just don't get reported, or don't get reported for way too long. It's sad and it sucks, but it happens.

I wish that Dawn had been reported missing, sooner than she was. If this is a match (it looks like it to me), much valuable information could have been gotten from the "club" back then, now I can't imagine anyone could provide much information.

Snuf, you are quite good at making possible matches, do you do this full time? Bless your heart for all you put into finding names for the UIDs.

You would be amazed how many people go unreported. After about the age of 13, LE automatically assumes runaway, which can discourage some parents. Or they really think the kid is at a friend's place and don't realize for a week that they are missing, and at that point, they don't want to come under suspicion for not reporting a week ago, so they never do. Or the parents have a drug problem or past conviction for something, and protecting their own secrets becomes more important than protecting their child.
There are a lot of reasons why some people just don't get reported, or don't get reported for way too long. It's sad and it sucks, but it happens.

Excellent response...often kids with drug/alcohol problems don't call home for days on end and this becomes the norm for many family members. The same goes for parents who have the problems...don't care/pay attention to their kids etc.

I have a grown sibling who does disappearing acts. Knowing his addictions, past arrests and lifestyle my family simply cannot call LE each and every time he decides to disappear because after a while you become a nuisance to LE and they won't take the situation seriously. It's awful not knowing, waiting for the hospital or police to call and say they found him. For us at least, each call we have received so far has been that he was found alive.

Maz

:cow:

It looks like a great match to me.

As far as the date of disappearance vs. date found goes, from her Charley project report it sounds to me as though her family may not have reported her missing on the date she ran away from home, since someone knew that she was dancing in L.A. She may have been calling home or keeping in touch with someone (a cousin, etc.) that was letting her family know that she was OK. Then when they stopped hearing from her, they reported her missing.

Ontario, CA is only a little more than an hour away from L.A. with no traffic.

Here is a great special report by the Seattle PI. It highlights the problems with matching missing people to UID's and how it affects murder cases.

Because of ignorance, indifference or poor training, police here and around the nation fumble missing-person reports.
Bodies remain unidentified, families get no answers and killers get away.
Over two weeks, the P-I revealed the startling results of a year spent investigating the problem.

http://www.seattlepi.com/missing/

Key findings

Police routinely botch missing person investigations and, in more than 100 cases, lose reports. They often ignore cases with obvious signs of foul play.

Killers in Washington, including up to 30 serial murderers, have used flaws in the system to avoid detention.

Nearly 100 corpses are without names in Washington, in part because of flaws in the missing person system. Those charged with identifying them have lost records -- and remains.

Computer systems to track the missing and identify the dead have problems, often producing false matches -- or no leads at all.

Given the 16 years between the disappearance and the report, the date may not be that reliable. This is especially so as it is given as February 1 - i.e., it could be a generic date for some time in February '93. (Of course it could just as easily be the correct day).

She could have run away weeks or months earlier, not be a match and known to be alive when the Doe was located, or just assumed by her parents to have run away but in fact been murdered while going through a difficult, rebellious time at home.

This makes me think it's even more likely to be a match though.

Of course right now, no one knows 100% if this is Dawn, but I believe she is, and I feel an enormous amount of sorrow for her family and her. She was just a child, who wanted to grow up too fast- not unlike almost all teens- not unlike the teenager I was a long time ago.

As for her parents not reporting her missing, being they were from a different culture, they must have felt cultural stigma would happen if people knew.

What really gets me mad is the LA Cold Case Unit. I know they get a lot of calls, but to flat out refuse to review a Jane Doe identification, I still am shocked by that. I even offered to fax ALL the info to them. The NCMEC Jane Doe poster, LA coroner website photos and info, her Namus file and her Charley Project page. All they would have to do is pick up a piece of paper from a fax machine. What I really don't get is it's THEIR phone number on the NCMEC poster, if you're not going to even accept a fax, then perhaps you need to remove your phone number as a primary contact. I don't mean to disrespect anyone by saying that, but I would bet if it was one of their daughters, they would hope someone would take a look, and there are plenty of cases where if you don't get the info right away- they will never call back. That would be a travesty.

Anyhow, I'm done ranting, and back to Appreciating.
Snufamonbobball

I would be very very suprized and amazed if it not a match... Everything from her eyebrows to her lips seem to match perfectly! WTG SNUFA!!

Could be the the family didn't report it because of their culture and possible stigma.

Could be that someone (patron?) waited for her after her shift at the club and murdered her.

Or, maybe someone close to her was mortified that she was an exotic dancer and that someone took the law into their own hands. I've seen stranger reasons for murder and subsequent cover up of missing persons reports.

I spoke with the San Bernadino Coroner Division this morning. This is Dawn. Her family has identified her, but they are waiting on the family's dna until they pull down the unidentified listings.

FLY FREE DAWN, FLY FREE​

Attachments

• dawn.jpg
    dawn.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 413
Thank you Snufamonbobball for letting Dawn come home at last and her family have closure.

Rest in peace Dawn.

Thank you for your diligence and hard work Snufamonbobball.

It's a nice feeling knowing that one more family can now put their loved one to rest and no longer wonder what happened or where are they.

Maz :clap:

Bravo! Great job. Now maybe Dawn and her family can be at peace.

Great News Snuf!!

Knew you would get a match with someone sooner or later, with all your great sleuthing!

Now let's hope her family is at peace, finally knowing where Dawn is.. What a sad ending for the family, that all along, she has been deceased.

Dawn Rest In Peace!

Congratulations, wonderful work on this match :applause:

So sad for Dawn and her family and especially so since the current police wouldn't even take a report when it wasn't some time waster but a properly researched identification. :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back