48 Hours and Paradise Lost; West Memphis Three

Damien has always said to test everything. I don't know of a thing that hasn't been tested that could be tested. Unfortunately, some things were destroyed by previous testing, like the blood on the pendant. Since the WMFree are innocent, I don't have a problem with any testing. Nothing will ever prove they're guilty because they're not!

I wish that the testing of the fibers would come back, because this new technology can easily prove that the fibers aren't from any of the WMFree. The animal hair testing should also be interesting. In short, I hope that all of the testing results will soon be revealed because I'm sure that nothing will point toward any of the WMFree. I just hope that the results are soon made public so all the speculation will stop.

Damien has always said to test everything. I don't know of a thing that hasn't been tested that could be tested. Unfortunately, some things were destroyed by previous testing, like the blood on the pendant. Since the WMFree are innocent, I don't have a problem with any testing. Nothing will ever prove they're guilty because they're not!

I wish that the testing of the fibers would come back, because this new technology can easily prove that the fibers aren't from any of the WMFree. The animal hair testing should also be interesting. In short, I hope that all of the testing results will soon be revealed because I'm sure that nothing will point toward any of the WMFree. I just hope that the results are soon made public so all the speculation will stop.
I agree, but I don't think all the speculation will ever stop. :(

And even if the best possible outcome happens (from the testing and subsequent judicial actions), it will never give 18 years back to any of the three, Damien's son, and all the family and friends that care about them. :( That 18 years for Damien's son is almost his whole life (so far)!

I agree, but I don't think all the speculation will ever stop. :(

And even if the best possible outcome happens (from the testing and subsequent judicial actions), it will never give 18 years back to any of the three, Damien's son, and all the family and friends that care about them. :( That 18 years for Damien's son is almost his whole life (so far)!

You're right! In fact, Damien's son was born after Damien was arrested. So, he has never had the opportunity (before now) to know his father. The State of Arkansas took that right away from him. Maybe he can sue since the Alford Plea precludes Damien, Jason and Jessie from suing. I'm just glad that they're free and able to work for exoneration as free men.

Ok, if you've watched Paradise Lost I have a question that is bothering me. Toward the beginning of the film after Pam Hobbs screams and falls after being told the boys are dead there is a man kneeled by a car smoking. Is this Terry Hobbs? This man's reaction really bothers me because he looks more worried about something rather than upset about the boys bodies found. Can anyone varify who that was?

Ok, if you've watched Paradise Lost I have a question that is bothering me. Toward the beginning of the film after Pam Hobbs screams and falls after being told the boys are dead there is a man kneeled by a car smoking. Is this Terry Hobbs? This man's reaction really bothers me because he looks more worried about something rather than upset about the boys bodies found. Can anyone varify who that was?

Thank you so much for posting this, as I noticed the same thing and meant to ask everyone. He was shaking so badly while trying to light his cigarette and I also thought he looked worried and scared.

Yep,that's Terry Hobbs and yes,isn't it telling that instead of consoling his grief stricken wife,he's trying to light a cigarette? He does look nervous.
Also memorable to me the look on his face at Jessie's trial when Jessie is found guilty,the way he swallows air in almost disbelief.Does not look like someone to me who thinks justice was served.
And his strange nervous laughter at inappropriate times.

I just loved the clip in Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory when he's talking about depositions and basically says, with that sickening nervous laugh, something along the lines of having had enough of depositions. I'll just bet he has! D'Leslie Davis especially, IMO, made mincemeat of him at the Pasdar deposition. The other attorneys got in some good shots, but I thought Ms. Davis was especially good. And it was all even more rewarding because Terry's misogynistic feelings were on display for everyone to see.

The amused giggle he gives when asked about shooting Jackie Hicks Jr. is another "great" Hobbs moment. Not to mention the complete non sequitur of a reply when asked why is that funny - "oh, you just get tired of being asked about it." When I'm tired of being asked about something I roll my eyes, I don't burst out laughing.

Thanks for answering that question. I'm local (not confirmed) but I was 12 when the murders happened. It was hard to recognize a younger Hobbs. That man creeps me out!

That footage was not shot by the PL team but by local news crews.

Furthermore, I seem to remember from watching archived news footage, that he ducked by the police car to light his cigarette before approaching the police line? I know he had a cigarette on the go as he helped Steve Branch when Pam Hicks (formerly Hobbs) collapsed.

It fascinates me how so many are now 'creeped out' by any footage of him when they never were before the release of the DNA findings on the ligature. Had we had a cut-away shot of any other famly member trying to compose themselves and lighting a cigarette in that horrible moment right before when they know they are about to get very bad news it would not be perceived as 'creepy' or as a 'tell'.

We need to be careful that we do not fall in to the same trap that engulfed the community of West Memphis after the arrests of the three. But it is hard, given all that we now know about the man!

Miranda

That footage was not shot by the PL team but by local news crews.

Furthermore, I seem to remember from watching archived news footage, that he ducked by the police car to light his cigarette before approaching the police line? I know he had a cigarette on the go as he helped Steve Branch when Pam Hicks (formerly Hobbs) collapsed.

It fascinates me how so many are now 'creeped out' by any footage of him when they never were before the release of the DNA findings on the ligature. Had we had a cut-away shot of any other famly member trying to compose themselves and lighting a cigarette in that horrible moment right before when they know they are about to get very bad news it would not be perceived as 'creepy' or as a 'tell'.

We need to be careful that we do not fall in to the same trap that engulfed the community of West Memphis after the arrests of the three. But it is hard, given all that we now know about the man!

Miranda

sometimes hindsight is 20/20. i don't recall ever seeing the footage of him trying to light the cigarette behind the squad car before PL3. i remember seeing Pam's collapse in an earlier PL, but it seemed like it was from a different angle. i did find it strange upon seeing it the first time, that TH had such a loose hold around his wife that he let her fall through his arms to the ground. he looked shocked by her collapse to me, he seemed to have quite the casual reaction for a parent or even a step-parent.
also, can i say that TH was so quiet during the trial and the filming of PL 1 & 2 that he really was under the radar. the focus was trained on the stories making all the noise and that was JMB, and the trials themselves.
yes, JMBs behavior was suspect because it was so downright melodramatic and bombastic with a heavy dose of instability. he demanded attention. the trials demanded attention. what that did mean was, not necessarily that JMB was guilty of the boy's murders, but certainly that there was definitely something else going on there and perhaps, just perhaps, there should have be a closer look at the parents. which, of course, was grounds for doubting everything about this case.

Just saw "West of Memphis." I felt severely manipulated by the director and after seeing the film, was angry to see how much she left out about Damien Echols' prior criminal record and psychiatric hospitalizations.

Echols comes across as a cold, narcissistic psychopath who first drew the two other men into his orbit and then his eventual wife, Ms. Davis. He sure lucked out when she came on the scene, as she gave up her life to set him free.

I have a very bad feeling about Echols, his future, and about what he will do to his wife.

Just saw "West of Memphis." I felt severely manipulated by the director and after seeing the film, was angry to see how much she left out about Damien Echols' prior criminal record and psychiatric hospitalizations.

Echols comes across as a cold, narcissistic psychopath who first drew the two other men into his orbit and then his eventual wife, Ms. Davis. He sure lucked out when she came on the scene, as she gave up her life to set him free.

I have a very bad feeling about Echols, his future, and about what he will do to his wife.

Supporters just chalk it up to being a teenager.

I hope DE reaps what he sows in the VERY near future. And he reaps it times ten .

Makes me SICK that people support three child killers.

I would LOVE for Todd Moore to come on here and give his side of what happened.

Supporters just chalk it up to being a teenager.

I hope DE reaps what he sows in the VERY near future. And he reaps it times ten .

Makes me SICK that people support three child killers.

I would LOVE for Todd Moore to come on here and give his side of what happened.

:waitasec:his side would be, he was out of town.

....and I totally understand TM's outrage.Imagine having some sort of closure but the people that you feel are responsible for your son's horrific death are free now? I understand his point of view but I don't think he can be objective.Pam Hobbs lived with TH.,that speaks volumes to me.IMO there is nooooo way you could be able to accuse your ex of the muder of your child just because you had a bad marriage and you're trying to get back at him.There's so much more to it for her to switch sides IMO

And, I'm still convinced that there is more to come in this case. I know that there is still "stuff" going on behind the scene. I don't know what, but I know that the work for true justice (which includes exoneration of the wrongfully-convicted) is still going forward. Hopefully, the results of all that work will soon be made public knowledge.

Bellinger in hot water over the accuracy of one of his other 'documentaries' .. Well you know what they say, 'The truth is in the outtakes' .. Wouldn't y'all just love to see the outtakes from PL1? I know I would, I wonder what story they would tell?

Judge Kaplan’s 28-page ruling is here. He makes three points:

First, the outtakes contain substantial evidence of misconduct in and relating to the Ecuadorian litigation.

Second, as this Court previously has noted, Berlinger was invited by the Lago Agrio plaintiffs to make of the film and the outtakes.

Third, Berlinger and his counsel, in the proceedings that led to production of the outtakes, made representations about the contents of the outtakes that proved inaccurate.

and ..

Berlinger’s suppression of the “Crude” outtakes tells you that despite all his claims about trying to make a fair movie, he was perfectly happy with being manipulated by Donziger and in turn with manipulating the audience, just as long as he had a compelling storyline. Didn’t matter if it was true or not.

- See more at: http://www.shopfloor.org/2010/09/ju...is-in-the-outtakes/14167#sthash.KPRdkbLi.dpuf

Yeah, that was after Berlinger blew $1.3 million on legal fees in a failed attempt to hide his shame, according to the NYT, which also includes a quote from him say felt “whacked over the head with a two-by-four, financially, emotionally, philosophically, questioning whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that I made ‘Crude.’ ” I wounder if a wrongful death suit like was done with O.J. could pry the PL outtakes from his hands.

So I wonder, with this ruling could there be another attempt to get the outtakes from the first Paradise Lost 'documentaries' .. I think many people would be interested to see what didn't make the final cut in that movie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back