Steven Avery & Brendan Dassey get new representation

Sure that's possible too. SA has the burden to prove innocence since the appellate court did not overturn on any legal errors. Beliefs are not considered evidence and they're not proof. It comes down to evidence and that's what SA needs. As for the rifle, I don't recall SA claiming anyone else shot it; he had control of that weapon.

We agree on the burden of proof and if Zellner has new exculpatory evidence, I'm anxious to see what it might be. I won't be happy if she gets SA off on a technicality instead of proving someone else did the deed.

I'm not sure why she bothers with statements like that. People get caught all the time because they messed up one or more things that had they not they might never have gotten caught. Does that make them innocent because logically they would have done such and such and then they wouldn't have been caught? When she tweets that kind of stuff it makes it look like she's grasping at straws. And, she knows nothing like that gets Avery a new trial.

The inevitable has already happened.
#HeIsGuilty #LetHerRestInPeace

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

This post is eerily representative about the way so many, particularly in Manitowoc, feel about Steven Avery, and have since the beginning. He was such a bad person, he would inevitably murder someone.

When I hear things like this (no offense, honestly) but it makes me feel that even if Zellner is capable of a complete exoneration of Steven Avery, there are still those who will still think of him as a rapist and a murderer, no matter what.

If by chance SA did not murder her. Is she resting in peace? I bet she is turning over in her death at the miscarriage of justice she has witnessed in her after life. Like the way they treated her bones and haven't let her be buried for peace, She is still in some evidence closet.

IMO she is not yet at a peaceful rest. And the doing of that is all fault on the LE up there. For not doing things by the book. and Deviating to make sense of the case, to make the crime fit the man. not the man fitting the crime. If that makes sense. JMO

And I think sadly, you may be right

IMO
This post is eerily representative about the way so many, particularly in Manitowoc, feel about Steven Avery, and have since the beginning. He was such a bad person, he would inevitably murder someone.

When I hear things like this (no offense, honestly) but it makes me feel that even if Zellner is capable of a complete exoneration of Steven Avery, there are still those who will still think of him as a rapist and a murderer, no matter what.

No offence taken at all. I feel the same but from the opposing side. Even if there was video footage of the whole crime, Avery supporters still wouldn't believe he is guilty. They would claim it is 2 cops dressed to look like Avery & Dassey.

This isn't a case where a changed witness statement or a comparison of DNA found at the scene not matching the accused is going to get him out.

Either physical proof of planting or pinning it on someone else will work. Either way it means jail time for someone else. I don't think Zellner (or any other lawyer) will do that.

Seriously, I've seen more moral outrage about Avery's dog and how her bones were put into a box than about what happened to Teresa that day. No malice intended, that is just how I feel.

#ThisIsTeresa'sCaseNotAvery's

Well, this is interesting...

3202d77f.gif

‘Making A Murderer’: Steven Avery’s Lawyer Thinks It’s Fairly Obvious Who Really Killed Teresa Halbach

“It’s the evidence. In having had a number of these cases, it has the signature of a wrongful conviction case. They only focused on him. They did not look at a lot of other suspects, certainly some very key people they should have been looking at. There was a very poor investigation done of the victim’s background, who she was involved with, the circumstances of her life. It had all of the hallmarks of a wrongful conviction case.” -- Kathleen Zellner

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Comment: if, the big if, this man is innocent, I have a fairly good hunch who she has in mind. In fact, I have had same said hunch since she took the case on. This latest comment firms said hunch up. Just sayin...

Despite believing that SA is most likely guilty, I'm glad that the evidence is being re-visited again.
There were just too many holes in the narrative the prosecution put forward and the version of events in BD's 'confession' makes no sense at all.
If new evidence comes to light to exonerate SA I'm not so entrenched in my opinion that I won't change my mind . . . and if everything still points towards his guilt then I hope that lessons can be learnt about the handling of the case and in particular the interviewing of minors.

There are so many things that make me uneasy with this whole situation though.

> Somewhere in all of this, BD seems to have become lost while the spotlight focuses on his uncle. While I think SA is probably guilty, so much of BD's confession was utter nonsense that I have doubts around him having any involvement at all - I'm starting to see him as a forgotten victim in all this . . .

> I'm unsettled by the power that a biased documentary (and yes, it was very biased IMO) has over us as a culture and by how many people take everything that they see on TV as gospel truth without thinking for themselves or looking any further - and I'm also seeing a blurring of the line between fictional entertainment and real events which impacted real people. Not aimed at anyone on this site BTW, but more a number of otherwise articulate, intelligent people that I know in real life.

> I'm troubled by the 'trial by social media' culture that's growing up, how quickly a few 'sound bites' on Twitter can inspire mass outrage and the emergence of "celebrity lawyers" playing to an audience. Somehow it feels like this is less about the truth and more some sort of popularity contest.

Well, this is interesting...

3202d77f.gif

‘Making A Murderer’: Steven Avery’s Lawyer Thinks It’s Fairly Obvious Who Really Killed Teresa Halbach

“It’s the evidence. In having had a number of these cases, it has the signature of a wrongful conviction case. They only focused on him. They did not look at a lot of other suspects, certainly some very key people they should have been looking at. There was a very poor investigation done of the victim’s background, who she was involved with, the circumstances of her life. It had all of the hallmarks of a wrongful conviction case.” -- Kathleen Zellner

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Comment: if, the big if, this man is innocent, I have a fairly good hunch who she has in mind. In fact, I have had same said hunch since she took the case on. This latest comment firms said hunch up. Just sayin...

This worries me too Shadowraiths.
I agree with everything she says about the lack of focus on other suspects (regardless of who did it, this should have been investigated more thoroughly) but those not so subtle hints without any corroborating evidence open up so much opportunity for innocent lives to be pulled apart.

No offence taken at all. I feel the same but from the opposing side. Even if there was video footage of the whole crime, Avery supporters still wouldn't believe he is guilty. They would claim it is 2 cops dressed to look like Avery & Dassey.

This isn't a case where a changed witness statement or a comparison of DNA found at the scene not matching the accused is going to get him out.

Either physical proof of planting or pinning it on someone else will work. Either way it means jail time for someone else. I don't think Zellner (or any other lawyer) will do that.

Seriously, I've seen more moral outrage about Avery's dog and how her bones were put into a box than about what happened to Teresa that day. No malice intended, that is just how I feel.

#ThisIsTeresa'sCaseNotAvery's

Sure, I would imagine there may be a few freak people who would claim conspiracy all the way down to the end. But from what I have seen on here, there aren't many of us pro-defense people here whatsoever. And I feel that many of us are far more troubled about the process here than anything else. If he they did it, great, but prove it the right way, because we feel they have not. We have grave concerns that the following happened:

1.) MCPD was allowed to be so involved in the investigation as to be responsible for finding all of the most compelling evidence in this case when they were supposed to be hands-off.
2.) We are concerned that these people responsible for this evidence were some of the very same people who were involved in keeping him in prison the first time and were being sued and/or deposed by Steven Avery in a $36 million civil suit
3.) We are deeply troubled at the fact that they pulled a learning impaired 16 year old boy out of school and interviewed him without a parent or lawyer present
4.) We are deeply troubled that the investigators seemed to spoon feed Branden the information and that BD appeared to be guessing most of the time and be clearly confused the entire time
5.) We are completely grossed out that the prosecutor in the case went on television with the narration of one of the most disgusting descriptions of a scene that played out in Avery's trailer that was only suitable to an audience over the age of 15.
6.) We are concerned that said prosecutor had been abusing drugs and sexually harassing the victims he was sworn to seek justice for - a clear indication that his integrity has absolutely no value
7.) We are concerned that the jury pool was able to see that report believing that Kratz was trustworthy man and that the information was true and was supported by evidence, which it was clearly not
8.) We are concerned that even though the trial was moved to a neutral county (actually the neighboring county where Teresa's family lived) yet the jury was pooled from Manitowoc County, and included 2-3 members with extremely close ties to the MCPD
9.) We are concerned with what the excused juror has to say about what was going on in the jury room and subsequent reports of what may very well have been vote trading within the deliberations
10.) We are concerned that no other individuals were investigated as possible suspects in any way, including her ex-boyfriend, her family, Zipperer, and an attempted axe-murderer who was on the property when the car was found
11.) We are concerned with the chain of custody of all of the evidence in the case is questionable - the key, the bullet, the RAV4, the blood, the bones
12.) We are concerned about the evidence that was clearly NOT there that really should have been there given the narrative portrayed by the prosecution
13.) We are concerned that BD was given a court-appointed lawyer who stated he felt his client did it to the press prior to ever meeting his client
14.) We are concerned that BDs attorney's investigator managed to get a confession from BD which included ridiculous drawings and a "check this box" format
15.) We are concerned that said prosecutor cried on the stand over the ribbon and that he wrote an e-mail stating that the entire Avery family tree needed to be cut down
16.) We are concerned about the way Teresa's cell phone records and password were obtained
17.) We are concerned about the fact that the judge in this case called Steven Avery the most dangerous man to ever step foot in his courtroom
18.) We are concerned that a man who had been previously wrongfully convicted and spent 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit (yes I know about the assault on the cousin and the cat) wasn't treated with the least amount of respect nor the concept of innocent until proven guilty
19.) We are concerned about the fact that the Chief from the original case owned the competitive salvage yard and hated the Averys and would have benefited greatly from their business being destroyed
20.) As far as Teresa "resting in peace" many of us feel that the way her remains were handled, the chain of custody of the scene, etc...was the very opposite of respecting her. Putting her remains in a cardboard box and leaving them at the coroner's office??? We shouldn't be the ones being lectured about respecting her dignity.
21.) Finally, we are troubled that our system and our default is to consistently accept the finding of the jury with little to no desire to review the evidence, testimony and rationale of the case, even though we are well aware of just how often juries and courts can get it wrong - with the most glaring example being the very same man in this very case

So I disagree with you that the pro-defense people would believe him to be innocent even if it is proved that he and BD are guilty. But I don't think many of us would abandon any of these concerns either way. Guilty or not, each and every one of these concerns are still 100% relevant. And you may not think so because you feel as though this could never happen to you or any of your loved ones. And while I believe we do have the fairest system in the world, it doesn't mean it is perfect, because if it was, we wouldn't have so many innocent people sitting in prison, or God forbid, being executed. So I contend that the vast majority of us "pro-defense" people would definitely be willing to accept that they are both guilty of the crime, but that doesn't mean that this case doesn't contain a plethora of troubling and downright outrageous behavior by many of those involved in supposedly finding justice for Teresa Halbach.

So I disagree with you that the pro-defense people would believe him to be innocent even if it is proved that he and BD are guilty. But I don't think many of us would abandon any of these concerns either way. Guilty or not, each and every one of these concerns are still 100% relevant. And you may not think so because you feel as though this could never happen to you or any of your loved ones. And while I believe we do have the fairest system in the world, it doesn't mean it is perfect, because if it was, we wouldn't have so many innocent people sitting in prison, or God forbid, being executed. So I contend that the vast majority of us "pro-defense" people would definitely be willing to accept that they are both guilty of the crime, but that doesn't mean that this case doesn't contain a plethora of troubling and downright outrageous behavior by many of those involved in supposedly finding justice for Teresa Halbach.

Very good post.... and I totally agree!!

Sure, I would imagine there may be a few freak people who would claim conspiracy all the way down to the end. But from what I have seen on here, there aren't many of us pro-defense people here whatsoever. And I feel that many of us are far more troubled about the process here than anything else. If he they did it, great, but prove it the right way, because we feel they have not. We have grave concerns that the following happened:

1.) MCPD was allowed to be so involved in the investigation as to be responsible for finding all of the most compelling evidence in this case when they were supposed to be hands-off.
2.) We are concerned that these people responsible for this evidence were some of the very same people who were involved in keeping him in prison the first time and were being sued and/or deposed by Steven Avery in a $36 million civil suit
3.) We are deeply troubled at the fact that they pulled a learning impaired 16 year old boy out of school and interviewed him without a parent or lawyer present
4.) We are deeply troubled that the investigators seemed to spoon feed Branden the information and that BD appeared to be guessing most of the time and be clearly confused the entire time
5.) We are completely grossed out that the prosecutor in the case went on television with the narration of one of the most disgusting descriptions of a scene that played out in Avery's trailer that was only suitable to an audience over the age of 15.
6.) We are concerned that said prosecutor had been abusing drugs and sexually harassing the victims he was sworn to seek justice for - a clear indication that his integrity has absolutely no value
7.) We are concerned that the jury pool was able to see that report believing that Kratz was trustworthy man and that the information was true and was supported by evidence, which it was clearly not
8.) We are concerned that even though the trial was moved to a neutral county (actually the neighboring county where Teresa's family lived) yet the jury was pooled from Manitowoc County, and included 2-3 members with extremely close ties to the MCPD
9.) We are concerned with what the excused juror has to say about what was going on in the jury room and subsequent reports of what may very well have been vote trading within the deliberations
10.) We are concerned that no other individuals were investigated as possible suspects in any way, including her ex-boyfriend, her family, Zipperer, and an attempted axe-murderer who was on the property when the car was found
11.) We are concerned with the chain of custody of all of the evidence in the case is questionable - the key, the bullet, the RAV4, the blood, the bones
12.) We are concerned about the evidence that was clearly NOT there that really should have been there given the narrative portrayed by the prosecution
13.) We are concerned that BD was given a court-appointed lawyer who stated he felt his client did it to the press prior to ever meeting his client
14.) We are concerned that BDs attorney's investigator managed to get a confession from BD which included ridiculous drawings and a "check this box" format
15.) We are concerned that said prosecutor cried on the stand over the ribbon and that he wrote an e-mail stating that the entire Avery family tree needed to be cut down
16.) We are concerned about the way Teresa's cell phone records and password were obtained
17.) We are concerned about the fact that the judge in this case called Steven Avery the most dangerous man to ever step foot in his courtroom
18.) We are concerned that a man who had been previously wrongfully convicted and spent 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit (yes I know about the assault on the cousin and the cat) wasn't treated with the least amount of respect nor the concept of innocent until proven guilty
19.) We are concerned about the fact that the Chief from the original case owned the competitive salvage yard and hated the Averys and would have benefited greatly from their business being destroyed
20.) As far as Teresa "resting in peace" many of us feel that the way her remains were handled, the chain of custody of the scene, etc...was the very opposite of respecting her. Putting her remains in a cardboard box and leaving them at the coroner's office??? We shouldn't be the ones being lectured about respecting her dignity.
21.) Finally, we are troubled that our system and our default is to consistently accept the finding of the jury with little to no desire to review the evidence, testimony and rationale of the case, even though we are well aware of just how often juries and courts can get it wrong - with the most glaring example being the very same man in this very case

I wish I could up vote this 1000 times :)

YES!

And it's all so clear.
Without the tin hats or " conspiracies "

It's about how this case, beginning to end, was handled.
It's about the right thing to do, isn't it?
Justice?
I wish I could up vote this 1000 times :)

YES!

And it's all so clear.
Without the tin hats or " conspiracies "

It's about how this case, beginning to end, was handled.
It's about the right thing to do, isn't it?
Justice?

Absolutely! I understand standing up for the victims. But do we want a society where as far as the victim goes as long as someone is convicted that will do? If the wrong one is in prison and a killer goes free ...what about future victims?

Zellner can post anything she wants on Twitter. It's only libel if it's an untrue statement being posted and damages a person's reputation.

As far as I'm aware, it is considered libel because it's all speculation at this stage and could damage this person's reputation. I think she recognised it too as that's why it was deleted, or she felt it gave away too much. Unless I have something wrong here and it's not considered libel? And I only thought it would jeopardise the case is because it is unheard of here for lawyers to tweet like Zellner is but maybe it's different in the US.

I've just looked it up and she sent the tweet before she announced she was SA's lawyer so I think she withdrew it because of taking on that role or she changed her mind after delving further into the case.

http://www.people.com/article/making-a-murderer-steven-avery-gets-new-lawyers-kathleen-zellner

Days before announcing she would take the case, Zellner tweeted about Halbach's death: "whoever deleted Teresa Halbach cellphone calls is either the murderer or part of coverup. Either way the killer is free."

I'm however confident that she has a good case against the prosecution that will result in at least a retrial for SA.

(Also the only reason I didn't post the entire tweet was because I didn't know if it was allowed or not. I guess it is)

Absolutely! I understand standing up for the victims. But do we want a society where as far as the victim goes as long as someone is convicted that will do? If the wrong one is in prison and a killer goes free ...what about future victims?

Yes. This is what bothered me about the PB attack. An innocent man in jail is just a part of it. Having a rapist in the local area where they continued to target people is very scary.

Sometimes I think police just want someone, even if it isn't the right person. Society can feel safe knowing that someone has been locked up for the crime. Obviously it's not all police and I know some are very dedicated, but it happened in the PB case and I believe it's happening right now in the TH case.

Sometimes I think police just want someone, even if it isn't the right person. Society can feel safe knowing that someone has been locked up for the crime. Obviously it's not all police and I know some are very dedicated, but it happened in the PB case and I believe it's happening right now in the TH case.
Unfortunately, and imho, this is partially due to the fact that solve rates are so low. And that's nation wide. IIrc, they hover in the 60% range, though, it obviously varies from state to state. For example, when I first began to follow the West Mesa killer, i recall being quite surprised that Albuquerque had a solve rate that hovered somewhere between 70-80%, and a friend pointing out that's actually higher than most.

In the end, and sadly, what that means, is there are families who not only lose loved ones to horrific crimes, but now have to live without knowing who actually murdered their loved one(s). I wrote about one such example back in 2006. That I'm aware, Philip Edward Wilkinson remains on death row, and Ms. Rundle's father has yet to learn of who murdered his daughter and grand children. Sadly, both families end up living in a perpetual nightmare. One without answers, and the other fighting the appeals of their loved one's killer. And, they're not alone.

It also means that homicide LEOs are haunted by the cases they could not solve. That is, in addition to the social pressure, there is huge huge incentive to solve cases. Esp if they really do feel they have the guy (or gal, as the case may be). In other words, the motivation goes beyond the social and pierces the heart/soul, so to speak.

3202d77f.gif

Making a Murderer's Steven Avery given 'freedom' court date as judge cracks down on prosecutor
09:19, 24 FEB 2016 UPDATED 09:45, 24 FEB 2016

BY SIOBHAN MCFADYEN

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has given the prosecution a deadline to file their arguments in Steven Avery's appeal and bail application

Steven Avery's battle to become a free man is hotting up after the Wisconsin courts ruled that prosecutors have to submit their case to keep him in jail in one week.

Prosecutors tried to delay his bail application applying for a motion to extend the case giving them more time to respond to corruption allegations.

But the state has been told to file their paperwork by March 2 so the case can go forward meaning Avery will learn what prosecutors have up their sleeve next Wednesday.

Steve-Avery-appeal-for-bail-front-page.jpg

Steve-Avery-appeal-for-bail--crop-of-page-6.jpg

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

The idea that LE is happy to have anyone charged for a murder, purposely leaving 'the real killer' out there doesn't make sense to me. How is that a desired outcome? It happens that the wrong person has been accused (often through bad eye witness identification), but not so much now if there's DNA testing in a case that does match someone. Then they still have a murderer running loose hurting/murdering their citizens and that's supposed to be a good thing? Nawwwww. I've never seen or heard of a cop say "we just want someone/anyone in jail, doesn't matter who it is or even if they committed the crime..." They usually think they do have the right person and that's why they move forward on it. And sometimes they are wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back