CANADA Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 Apr 1973

I don't think it is relevant but just to state it just in case 1. Donna was originally from Owen Sound I think (where Susan Tice had returned from a family place for her). 2. Miriam Peters once lived behind the SitnEat though they had long moved on north. But did she still have friends from then and would they meet uP at the Sit n Eat.?

Far fetched but after all LE is using the word serial killer.

Funny, i was thinking about Donna and Wendy shopping for a gift of clothing midtown and Erin Gilmour working in a clothing shop, midtown.fwiw.

Only read the first few posts and this last page.
My immediate reaction is wondering if either of these girls was pregnant? Did the autopsy provide this info?
Perhaps a married lover who silenced them, as best friends know all secrets.

They didn't stop at the restaurant for a coke. They stopped to meet or see someone. Maybe one of the girls was putting pressure on someone to "step up".

Only read the first few posts and this last page.
My immediate reaction is wondering if either of these girls was pregnant? Did the autopsy provide this info?
Perhaps a married lover who silenced them, as best friends know all secrets.

They didn't stop at the restaurant for a coke. They stopped to meet or see someone. Maybe one of the girls was putting pressure on someone to "step up".

Interesting scenario, even without a pregnancy in the mix!
This is the female Chorley8 referenced as having lived near the restaurant.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...November-1975-Toronto&p=12735114#post12735114
Mariam Debra PETERS, 16, Murdered 7 November 1975, Toronto

Bump

Anything new? Who's still around? Came across an article regarding Ernest William Westergard , reminded me of this.

Anyone find any information whatsoever on the possibly connected Tilbury, ON murders from '72?

Anyone find any information whatsoever on the possibly connected Tilbury, ON murders from '72?

Offhand cannot think of the names, but those murders were referenced as possibly having a connection to this one.
Wondering if the Windsor murder of YL might even be connected too?
imo, speculation.
rbbm.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/09/01/a_relentless_hunt_for_elusive_clues_in_1973_slaying.html
As years went by the investigation went cold. Every now and then, a promising lead would emerge, only to result in another dead end. Several months later, a revolver was found on the side of the highway in southwestern Ontario. Police eventually linked the weapon to the Tedford and Stearne murders by analyzing the bullet riflings. It had been used in a Windsor robbery.

Still, despite the dead ends, Toronto detectives haven't given up hope. In the last few months, Toronto's cold case squad has teamed up with their counterparts in the Ontario Provincial Police.

In 1972, two girls, 15 and 17, were shot and killed west of Tilbury, Ont., which is about a 45-minute drive east of Windsor. Each sustained a bullet wound to the head. "There are other connections, but it's still early. I can't give you any more details than that at this stage," said Det. Insp. Ian Maule, who heads the province's cold case unit.

http://windsorstar.com/news/cold-case
It’s been a 41-year wait for Diana Leroux, but she’s hoping there will finally be justice for the murder of her daughter.

The Regional Municipality of York Police Services Board is offering a $50,000 reward in an effort to solve the 1972 murder of 16-year-old Windsor native Yvonne Leroux.

“More than half of my life I’ve been waiting for something to be done,” Diana, 80, said. “Finally they released a reward.”

On Nov. 30, 1972, Yvonne’s body was located on 16th Sideroad between Jane and Keele streets in King Township. Blunt force trauma was determined to be the cause of death.

According to police, the investigation revealed that Yvonne was last seen the evening before near the York Finch General Hospital – known today as the Humber River Hospital – located at Finch Avenue and Norfinch Drive in North York.

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto...rders-of-wendy-tedford-and-donna-stearne.html
Aug 10 2017
attachment.php

[h=1]Cold-case murders of Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne[/h]Tedford and Stearne were 17 when they were found shot to death in 1973, and police haven't yet identified their killer.
Janice BradbeerSpecial to the Star
There are more than 600 unsolved murders going back to the late 1950s on file with the Toronto Police Service Homicide Squad — the cold-blooded killing of teenage best friends Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne among them. The file remains open and police are still seeking clues that could solve these murders that took place nearly 45 years ago.

On Thursday, April 26, 1973, Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne, both 17, went for a late night Coca-Cola at the 1950s-style diner Sit ’n Eat just north of Wilson Ave. at Keelegate Dr.

The inseparable friends had planned an evening of shopping and a sleepover at Wendy’s house.

But something went terribly wrong.

The lifeless bodies of the two young women were discovered the next morning, in a rubble-strewn field about two kilometres from the diner, by a Grade 10 student on his way to Downsview Secondary School. Tony Iscaro was taking a shortcut through Downsview field when he stumbled across the bodies lying side by side.

“I didn’t even take a good look,” Iscaro told the Star a few days later at his school. “I took off — I was scared stiff.”
Wendy had been shot twice in the neck and was found face-down with her arms at her sides. Donna had a bullet wound in the back of her head and was on her back. Police found empty shells from a .38-calibre revolver nearby but no signs of sexual assault or robbery. Both young women were fully clothed, and two purses containing small amounts of cash were found at the scene. Police also found semen at the scene. In a recent interview, Toronto Police Service Homicide Squad Det. Sgt. Stacy Gallant would not say where this DNA was found as the case is still under investigation

Det. Gallant occasionally gets tips from the public regarding the double murder and he has kept in contact with the victims’ families.

Gallant urges anyone with information on the 1973 murders of Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne to call Homicide at 416-808-7400.

The police “may be only one name away,” from solving the case, he said.

Attachments

• ouac-wendy-tedford-donna-stearne.jpg
    ouac-wendy-tedford-donna-stearne.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto...rders-of-wendy-tedford-and-donna-stearne.html
Donna was the second of four children and a Grade 12 student at Downsview Secondary School. She and Wendy had been tight since attending C.W. Jeffreys Secondary School four years before.

Wendy had dropped out of school in 1971, following her father’s death from cancer. Wendy was the third of four sisters and had moved out of her mother’s apartment on Sheppard Ave. W. and in with her older sister Shirley and her 4-year-old son on Falstaff Ave. in the Downsview area. Wendy had been working at the Towers department store business office on Orfus Rd. for the three months before she was murdered.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tearsheet-wendy-and-donna-1.jpg
    tearsheet-wendy-and-donna-1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 35
What I can get from Gallant in these posts is that he still works on it (excellent that is real dedication for a case this old) and also if I am not wrong he seems to be suggesting that the semen is important. Whereas before a previous cold case det. seemed to be downplaying it. Which would SEEM to suggest that it was in the usual place BUT previously they were stymied because they had their clothes still on. If it was outside the bodies then that should have always been significant and strange. A general question: why have LE focused on this case so much? Years ago it was one of two cases only I think up on their cold case page such as it was then. Is there anything in their history (I am thinking e.g. of the father working at the base) that makes it personal to LE to someone important in law enforcement through a friendship or whatever. Of course I realize it is terrible and should be kept relevant... which fortunately it is apparently with Gallant etc.

What I can get from Gallant in these posts is that he still works on it (excellent that is real dedication for a case this old) and also if I am not wrong he seems to be suggesting that the semen is important. Whereas before a previous cold case det. seemed to be downplaying it. Which would SEEM to suggest that it was in the usual place BUT previously they were stymied because they had their clothes still on. If it was outside the bodies then that should have always been significant and strange. A general question: why have LE focused on this case so much? Years ago it was one of two cases only I think up on their cold case page such as it was then. Is there anything in their history (I am thinking e.g. of the father working at the base) that makes it personal to LE to someone important in law enforcement through a friendship or whatever. Of course I realize it is terrible and should be kept relevant... which fortunately it is apparently with Gallant etc.

Rbbm.
Wondering if it was possibly left as some kind of message, in a purse or on the newly purchased clothing item?
Maybe if this case if solved, it would also crack open some other cases?
speculation, imo.

Wendy's sister talks about the crime.. (Warning, this will break your heart.)
Mar 24, 2018
"A steady drizzle obscured the crime scene to passersby as detectives went about the gruesome task of securing the sight for later forensic tests. April was usually rainy but that April seemed just that much wetter than most. The stadium sized vacant field bordered on the west side by factories and to the east by working class homes had ironically been the perfect choice for shielding the two schoolgirls bodies from curious onlookers, as no doubt the killer(s) had considered the night before with sinister reasoning. Not until Friday morning at about 8:20a.m. on the 27th were the girls bodies discovered by a schoolboy short cutting his way to school. Their bodies were found laying fully clothed side by side and head to foot. Both had been shot to death at close range with a handgun. No sign of a struggle was apparent. Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne had been reportedly last seen alive at the Sit n' Eat Burger on Keele St. North near Wilson Ave. by a boy who knew them casually and had seen them enter the restaurant at around 11p.m. the evening of the 25th.The two had been to Yorkdale Shopping centre earlier in the evening to do a bit of shopping. No one saw them leave the burger place which was roughly 3/4 of a mile (1.5km.) from the crime scene. No motive has ever been established and no suspect(s) have ever been apprehended in these murders. If you know anything regarding the murder of Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne we want to hear from you. Anything you know, no matter how insignificant you might consider it to be, might trigger a memory or a word spoken at that time which might in turn lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of this horrific crime. Enough time has passed already. Contact us by e-mail or phone Metro Toronto Homicide, at: (416) 808-7400 We need your help into this horrific murder of my younger sister Wendy Tedford and her best friend Donna Stearn in North Toronto (Downsview) in April 1973. Anyone with information in this 45 Y.O. case is urged to contact artsmartniagara@gmail.com.Your anonymity will be respected. Thank-you for watching."

Last edited:

Donna Lee Stearne
BIRTH
DEATH 26 Apr 1973 (aged 16–17)
Ontario, Canada
BURIAL
Beechwood Cemetery
Vaughan, York Regional Municipality, Ontario, Canada
PLOT Section 4, Lot 268 (just right of Wendy Tedford)

LINK:
Donna Lee Stearne (1956-1973) - Find A Grave...

Wendy Ann Tedford
BIRTH 12 May 1955
DEATH 26 Apr 1973 (aged 17)
Ontario, Canada
BURIAL
Beechwood Cemetery
Vaughan, York Regional Municipality, Ontario, Canada
PLOT Section 4, Lot 269 (just left of Donna Stearne)

LINK:
Wendy Ann Tedford (1955-1973) - Find A Grave...

Tony Iscario when he finds the bodies does not run back home. He runs across the very large field to the business there where he informs an Italian man George X I forget his last name long time since I looked at this case. Did the trucks associate with that business travel to Windsor? George says it is too bad the girls had to die if correct wording a bit odd. Had to die. He later starts a sanitation business Apex named presumably after a street near the crime scene.

Homicide #19/1973
Homicide #19/1973

Victim:

Wendy
TEDFORD
''Age: 17

Murdered on: April 27, 1973

Details of Investigation:
On Friday, April 27, 1973, at about 7:30 a.m., police responded to a 911 call to the area of Wilson Avenue and Keele Street.

The victim was discovered in an empty industrial lot, suffering from gunshot wounds, and obviously deceased.

The victim of Homicide #20/1973 (Donna STEARNE) was also discovered at the same location, suffering from gunshot wounds, and obviously deceased.

Investigators believe that both victims were at the Sit n' Eat restaurant - near the location they were eventually discovered - the night before, at about 11:00 p.m.''

Homicide #19/1973
Homicide #19/1973

Victim:

Wendy
TEDFORD
''Age: 17

Murdered on: April 27, 1973

Details of Investigation:
On Friday, April 27, 1973, at about 7:30 a.m., police responded to a 911 call to the area of Wilson Avenue and Keele Street.

The victim was discovered in an empty industrial lot, suffering from gunshot wounds, and obviously deceased.

The victim of Homicide #20/1973 (Donna STEARNE) was also discovered at the same location, suffering from gunshot wounds, and obviously deceased.

Investigators believe that both victims were at the Sit n' Eat restaurant - near the location they were eventually discovered - the night before, at about 11:00 p.m.''

Who controlled the street drug trade in Toronto in 1973? MUCH less Jamaican than now correct and there was barely a Somali person in Canada at that time. Bikers? Italians? Irish? Most of the marijuana and hash you would buy would be from very small type dealers kids in school that kind of thing. In my small town in Ontario some school kid/entrepeneuers went to Rochdale College free university to score it interestingly this utopian school ended up being comandeered by bikers who patrolled the halls and monopolized the trade. I wonder if they tried any harder drugs. LSD was very big in my school. What was then called speed that was though of as being dangerous. As someone has said it was typically gentle easy vibe transactions though always with a potential harder edge c.f. Steppenwolfe's song The Pusher. So let me narrow it down Italians? I am not speaking of big importers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back