2010.04.19 Capital Case Budget Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdavidson11

You are not alone in this journey
Reaction score
The defense has requested a hearing with Judge Stickland and invited the JAC to determine how much money will be available to the defense team. It was my understanding that since she is now indigent once the defense submits a predetermination of an expense the JAC will pay the bill. I have a feeling that they are going to try to get x amount of dollars approved and then have carte blanche on what they spend it on. Is that how it normally works? I am a Florida resident and I believe in the justice system and a right to a fair trial. But, with the history of $275,000 previously spent on what amounts to very little benefit to the defense how much will they now need to defend her case? My local rape crisis is running very low on state funding. The advocates rely on donations to help the victims. My tax dollars should be used to help the unseen victims rather than a high profile case that has already wasted many tax dollars on unnecessary motions. Is this another way to try to complicate the issues, trying to find a way for a technicality to cause an acquittal? Justice for Caylee!

The defense has requested a hearing with Judge Stickland and invited the JAC to determine how much money will be available to the defense team. It was my understanding that since she is now indigent once the defense submits a predetermination of an expense the JAC will pay the bill. I have a feeling that they are going to try to get x amount of dollars approved and then have carte blanche on what they spend it on. Is that how it normally works? I am a Florida resident and I believe in the justice system and a right to a fair trial. But, with the history of $275,000 previously spent on what amounts to very little benefit to the defense how much will they now need to defend her case? My local rape crisis is running very low on state funding. The advocates rely on donations to help the victims. My tax dollars should be used to help the unseen victims rather than a high profile case that has already wasted many tax dollars on unnecessary motions. Is this another way to try to complicate the issues, trying to find a way for a technicality to cause an acquittal? Justice for Caylee!

Thanks for starting this thread - it is going to be very interesting! Are you telling me the JAC is going to hand out dollars based on estimates from Baez? Holy s**t!

I thought he had to submit invoices for actual work completed, not a "lemmee see here - 2k+12K+60K....Baez writing down figures on the back of an envelope in pencil" kind of a deal!

I agree with your assessment of how tax money should be prioritized. I hope Strickland is as reasonable as he has been in the past. I cringed when Cheney Mason chuckled and said that 200k is 'nothing'. It's shameful to think that it is acceptable for that amount of money to be wasted on a trial this simple. But hey, he wants to help the 'downtrodden'...

I agree with your assessment of how tax money should be prioritized. I hope Strickland is as reasonable as he has been in the past. I cringed when Cheney Mason chuckled and said that 200k is 'nothing'. It's shameful to think that it is acceptable for that amount of money to be wasted on a trial this simple. But hey, he wants to help the 'downtrodden'...

With all due respect I believe Mr. Mason misspoke. He meant to say "200K spent ON 'nothing.'" Defense is basically starting a square one. Just motion, after motion, after motion.....and AL's students were doing that for free. JMO

Hearing Sought On Anthony Defense Costs
Anthony Seeks To Learn How Much Taxpayer Money Will Be Available
POSTED: 12:51 pm EDT April 16, 2010
UPDATED: 1:14 pm EDT April 16, 2010
Email Print
Comments (10)ORLANDO, Fla. --
Casey Anthony is seeking to learn how much taxpayer money her defense team will be allowed to spend.

In a new motion filed on Thursday, Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, asks Judge Stan Strickland to hold a capital defense budget hearing.

Strickland declared Anthony indigent for court costs in March, which cleared the way for state taxpayers to pick up certain costs necessary to mount a death-penalty defense.

Read Motion | Images | Timeline

The Justice Administrative Commission objected and said $275,000 previously spent by Anthony's defense team should have been enough to pay for the attorneys and pick up a major share of due-process costs.

Can someone tell me if my bold is true? I took it from our todays news thread from WESH.

With all due respect I believe Mr. Mason misspoke. He meant to say "200K spent ON 'nothing.'" Defense is basically starting a square one. Just motion, after motion, after motion.....and AL's students were doing that for free. JMO

Didn't the 70K her group "raised" and contributed to Casey's defense somehow wind it's way back to those students, her investigator and herself against her own expenses?

I see I need to go back and do some re-reading here re all this. I know I'm like some kind of hoarder thatI've got this info "parked" in one of my many memory banks, and didn't mark it as important. I've been digging through that area and can't seem to retrieve anything accurate.

I hope Cheney Mason's last client didn't spend $200K on his defense.
Isn't he on Death Row? :innocent:

Didn't the 70K her group "raised" and contributed to Casey's defense somehow wind it's way back to those students, her investigator and herself against her own expenses?

I see I need to go back and do some re-reading here re all this. I know I'm like some kind of hoarder thatI've got this info "parked" in one of my many memory banks, and didn't mark it as important. I've been digging through that area and can't seem to retrieve anything accurate.

I'm still waiting to hear if it's legal ( or ethical) for one of her Defense Team to donate $5000 to her fund...:innocent:

I'm still waiting to hear if it's legal ( or ethical) for one of her Defense Team to donate $5000 to her fund...:innocent:

$50,000? LOL! Well Todd did rush back to California and declare himself incompetent due to drug or alcohol addictions so perhaps it's all being excused as "while under the influence of".

Since Casey, George and Cindy are so willing to live off other people's money now, it further makes the fact that Caylee wasn't receiving child support from her father or government assistance all the more sad.

Of course we know Cindy wouldn't have any part of including Caylee's father in her life because she might not get to be in total control, but had there been, Caylee may still be alive today, who knows. Had there been government assistance for Caylee, Casey would have just taken that money and blown it it at Target anyway, or maybe she only goes on those spending sprees with stolen money.

Mason can proceed to stall with all the motions they want, but none of them will ever clear Casey Anthony of murdering her baby girl. As long as Casey stays in jail and wastes her life during this motion-fest, it's all good!

The JAC has costs that are deemed acceptable when they fall within an approved range. If a cost is expected to exceed that which has already been deemed allowable, then a request must be made prior to spending it if the Defense expects to be reimbursed.

I think that CM's bold statement about just wanting dollar for dollar (the same amount to work with as the State of Florida has at their disposal) was nothing more than grandstanding. I doubt that that would ever happen. There are often true costs that exceed what has been preset.......but in order to maintain control of the checkbook the State requires a protocol to be followed. I also suspect that becasue JB has his mental list of experts already he may want to bypass submitting proposals from FL. experts for those services, and go straight to approval of their costs. However, even those costs will be restricted.

http://justiceadmin.org/ind_for_cost/index.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member