Book released by Defense Atty Nov 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nurmi is going on interviews about the book - BethK is having him on, some other guy is doing a podcast with him, and now William Pitts has posted these pics. The pics are generating some (cough) comments on twitter...

View attachment 84682View attachment 84683

Oh my....just what in the hell is going here. I am speechless about this current turn of events, rarely am I at a loss as to why someone is doing something senseless but --

I got nothing....Nurmi's apparent need to do this :bang: has me baffled :confused:

To each and every one of you have been sharing information otherwise unavailable to us, I want to also thank you very, very much for your generosity and your time.

Including posting updates since the trial that announced Juan's upcoming book, without you guys I would not have had any idea he was even writing a book.

:tyou: :blowkiss: :takeabow:

"You may ask yourself what do I mean by funny hats. Before I can answer that let me back up a minute."

"I was three years old when I got my first funny hat, as a gift from an uncle. That same uncle took it away from me when I wore it to a family reunion when I was 16, saying he was worried about me and that it was for my own good. I haven't spoken to him since."

Nurmi: "I received an email from a person named "Bob White". The subject of the email was *you might be interested in these.* Mr. White's email stated that he didn't want to get in involved with the case but thought I might be interested in the documents. The attachment contained 10 letters.

When more information became available, I became much more suspect of who wrote these letters. Why? Ms. Arias' cell was searched by deputies and pens were found. A 3x5 note card was found in the cell with handwriting on it. The States expert concluded that it was handwriting that was an attempt to simulate the handwriting of Travis Alexander. If Ms. Arias wrote these letters, how did she get them out of the jail and have them emailed to me? Once the 3x5 card was found, it was my belief that she wrote those letters.

Nurmi: "With out going into detail, I had every reason to believe that my client was trying to do self-destructive things behind my back. From listening to her jail calls, I became very suspicious that she, with the help of another individual (a person who lived in Las Vegas) was hiding evidence from me. I didn't know for sure if this was evidence that would help her or hurt her.

It was a situation that forced myself and a few other members of the defense team to travel to Las Vegas. If there was evidence out there that would have helped her case, but at the same time would be extremely humiliating to her personally, she would hide it from me because she valued her image more than her freedom or her life. As crazy as it sounds, image was everything to her.

<respectfully snipped>

BBM ~ This was very evident once she got booked in Yreka with the Flores interviews. She was worried about getting wedding pictures to someone, and other pictures of her sister. Really? You just got charged on murder charges, and you are worried about pictures? That's the only time she started to cry.

A person with PTSD can get obsessed with recounting the traumatic scenario. There are different schools of thought about whether this is a good idea. One is to talk about it alot. The other is not to talk about it hardly at all, because every time you talk about it it reinforces the memory tracks in the brain. In the latter case, treatment might involve the body (where trauma lodges) rather than the brain. This is very cutting-edge therapy, but becoming more common, e.g. with Vets.
KN looked dissociated during the trial, like he'd "checked out". This is almost pathognomic for trauma (you can't cope, so you "disappear"). I'm not excusing him, I'm just saying he's probably not lying when he keeps mentioning that there has been substantial fallout for him and he may not be able to practice law.

Jodi wasn't traumatized: she decided not to remember. She doesn't dissociate at all:you can tell, because her head is always busy fashioning the next lie to address her current situation. For instance, if she had a pattern of dissociation, she would have dissociated in JM's cross; instead, she's hyper alert and on top of things. If you think about it, she was doing "fight" not "flight". Fight and flight are actually normal instinctual human responses. "Freeze" is not and can be a trauma symptom. Jodi is never in freeze mode. She also doesn't do "flight" much except when she wants to get out of a responsibility, like going to work, of fleeing from a slaughter scene.
I doubt Samuels or ALV had ever actually seen dissociation, by the way, or they'd have know it was BS.

I believe "dissociation" occurs if you were knocked out cold or badly hurt during a traumatic event. Jodi was not hurt except for a few cuts on her fingers.

Chapter 67: My funny hat collection

"Often during trial, after a stressful day of being berated by Ms. Arias for trying to save her life, I would don one of my funny hats and retire to my hall of mirrors room. I always emerged refreshed with a new perspective, ready to meet the challenges of another day, as bad as I knew they would be."

You're too funny, Steve.. I call Spoof!

I got in late on the Amazon glitch and wasn't able to read all of the book. Curiousity got the best of me and I ordered the book Wednesday. It arrived this afternoon and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.
Once I'm done I'll post some thoughts and share my book with anyone who's interested.
In the mean time I'd like to share this:
"Additionally, because she has this indisputable right, I was ethically bound to help Ms. Arias tell her story. Did I want to aid her in this quest? No. Did I think making these claims was a wise decision from a strategic standpoint? No. Could I stop her from taking the stand and saying these things? No. Was I forced to build a trial strategy around these clams? THE SHORT ANSWER IS YES.
Sound familiar?
I'm going to have to take a shower!

I got in late on the Amazon glitch and wasn't able to read all of the book. Curiousity got the best of me and I ordered the book Wednesday. It arrived this afternoon and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.
Once I'm done I'll post some thoughts and share my book with anyone who's interested.
In the mean time I'd like to share this:
"Additionally, because she has this indisputable right, I was ethically bound to help Ms. Arias tell her story. Did I want to aid her in this quest? No. Did I think making these claims was a wise decision from a strategic standpoint? No. Could I stop her from taking the stand and saying these things? No. Was I forced to build a trial strategy around these clams? THE SHORT ANSWER IS YES.
Sound familiar?
I'm going to have to take a shower!

That's fine, but doesn't his own perspective on Travis described elsewhere in the book show that his impression of him closely parallels the story she told?

I believe "dissociation" occurs if you were knocked out cold or badly hurt during a traumatic event. Jodi was not hurt except for a few cuts on her fingers.

There are many kinds of trauma other than being assaulted. Seeing terrible things can be traumatic, as can horrendous events like tsunamis, being colossally afraid, having a near death experience. E.g. the Paris terrorist events. (These witnesses are going to have terrible PTSD; some of them saw slaughter and were under threat themselves for hours, but they did not have a physical injury). Almost any trauma AFAIK can cause dissociation.

Dissociation is a coping strategy for dealing with trauma, but AFAIK is not learned consciously. Once a person can dissociate, it can be very hard not to under certain conditions. But a person with dissociation as a coping strategy can sometimes turn it on deliberately as well. I believe this is what Nurmi was doing during the trial.

Someone who dissociates has a certain look. They seem "absent."

Jodi never dissociates (well, except when she's smoking dope maybe) as I pointed out above. And the degree to which she was injured while murdering Travis has no relevance IMO.

The best book I know about on the topic of trauma is Peter Levine Waking the Tiger. He has a brand new one about trauma and memory as well. He is very readable. This is cutting edge stuff.

That's fine, but doesn't his own perspective on Travis described elsewhere in the book show that his impression of him closely parallels the story she told?

Haven't gotten to his first thoughts about what happened yet. Please don't misunderstand me. My point was when asked if she killed TA in the guilt phase, I believe her answer was, "the short answer is yes."

And yes Steve, my impression is that he does believe that Travis "used" her for sex. What he doesn't say is that the killer was more than happy to be "used" for sex. Believe me I am not a Nurmi fan. And I'm still trying to understand his motivations for this series of books. His chapter on Dr. Demarte and his accusations of her "*advertiser censored* shaming" the killer were so totally out there I was literally scratching my head. In fact I planned to share that entire chapter, which I believe may be the longest in the book tomorrow when I have access to my laptop. (My husband has control at night for fantasy football purposes.)

Haven't gotten to his first thoughts about what happened yet. Please don't misunderstand me. My point was when asked if she killed TA in the guilt phase, I believe her answer was, "the short answer is yes."

And yes Steve, my impression is that he does believe that Travis "used" her for sex. What he doesn't say is that the killer was more than happy to be "used" for sex. Believe me I am not a Nurmi fan. And I'm still trying to understand his motivations for this series of books. His chapter on Dr. Demarte and his accusations of her "*advertiser censored* shaming" the killer were so totally out there I was literally scratching my head. In fact I planned to share that entire chapter, which I believe may be the longest in the book tomorrow when I have access to my laptop. (My husband has control at night for fantasy football purposes.)
Well, they used each other for sex, however else their motivations regarding it differed from there.

Don't worry, I realize that nothing of what you post from Nurmi's book is necessarily by way of endorsement. All of us will have our own thoughts and points of agreement and disagreement, and I appreciate you doing it.

12/07/2007 - Jodi writes that she called Travis about art supplies and he took her to Micheal's and Petsmart and dropped her off and she was "fell" low again and she called MM ,and he still thinks Jodi needs to be on medication.

Hmm she had Tuesday December 4 she should be nicer to her Mother was picking up Travis and taking him to his grandmothers? and she sneaked in later and she left early in the morning.

Wednesday December 4, 2007, and then Friday December 7 she wants to give Sky a big hug, and is at Travis's painting before someone comes over. Then Saturday December 8, 2007 she writes that she was having severe depression and that Travis's tires had been slashed twice.

She's lost a day somewhere.

That Lawrence Kirk Nurmi! I don't know weather I should laugh, cry, seek revenge or applaud him.

Thanks to everyone for posting on his book and commenting. It feels like old times only better- the killer is in prison for life this time!

BBM ~ This was very evident once she got booked in Yreka with the Flores interviews. She was worried about getting wedding pictures to someone, and other pictures of her sister. Really? You just got charged on murder charges, and you are worried about pictures? That's the only time she started to cry.

She wanted to look unselfish and not self-centered. Like she'll handle what's on her plate just fine, but she's super concerned about others being impacted. Blech.

Did she even know at this point she was under arrest for murder? She had been in handcuffs before the interrogation, but do you have to be arrested to end up in handcuffs? I mean, she just acts as though she and EF are there to have a mutually enlightening conversation and she has a lot to offer in terms of helping him arrive at the real story. She does everything but act like an interrogatee. She doesn't even seem to notice that EF is interrogating her.

Does anyone know the details and the chronology of what Nurmi told Sky Hughes about the (totally fake) letters in which "Travis" (in fact Jodi) "confesses" to having a sexual attraction to children, and in particular to one of the Hughes's sons? If I recall correctly (and I probably don't):

&#8226; Long before trial, Nurmi told Sky what the letters said and told her that they had been authenticated. I assume this was more of him attempting to be clever by equating the State's "inability to disprove" (since the handwriting in the scanned then e-mailed copies, or whatever they were, could not be officially tested) with "proof of authenticity."

&#8226; Sky took it for granted that Nurmi was being straight with her, because surely an officer of the court wouldn't lie to a potential (and important) witness. Nurmi has a record of her saying or writing something to him along the lines of "I knew Travis had some psychological problems but I never realized they were so severe."

&#8226; At some point after Sky made that comment to Nurmi, she and Chris were told (probably by Juan?) that the letters were forgeries, that Nurmi knew they were forgeries, and that Nurmi planned to use Sky's comment as part of Jodi's defense. Chris, then, refers to Nurmi as a "snake," but I don't know where or to whom. (ETA: Do we know when Sky found out that Nurmi was planning to use her "abuse" allegations &#8211; referring solely and specifically to Travis being a flirt, a Mormon Lothario, heartbreaker, time-waster, etc &#8211; as corroborating evidence that Travis was physically abusive? And why was that never explicitly dealt with in trial? It seems like it should only have taken a couple of minutes. "Ma'am, when you referred to Mr. Alexander as being abusive to women, did you mean physically, emotionally, psychologically, or sexually abusive? No. Then please tell the Court what you did mean. I meant that he was a flirt, that he was not ready to make a commitment despite perhaps allowing women to believe that he was, and that young Mormon women who were looking for a man they could marry in a Temple and start building a family with &#8211; marriage and family being central tenets of our faith &#8211; should not get involved with him. That is ALL I meant. So Ma'am, you're saying Mr. Alexander could be inconsiderate and deceptive, but that you never saw any evidence that he was physically, emotionally, psychologically, or sexually abusive? That is correct.")

&#8226; All this comes up early on in a hearing to determine, possibly, the extent to which Chris and Sky were in some way, shape, or form in cahoots with the prosecution, and to what extent they could be treated as hostile witnesses for the defense. Of course I may be completely wrong.

&#8226; Has anyone read Chris and Sky's book? Does it talk about this? Do we know why neither of them testified for either side in any part of the main trial?

I have another question about the forged letters. I can understand why it's problematic to attempt to do handwriting analysis on electronic copies, but what about a forensic linguistic analysis? Both Travis and Jodi wrote badly, but they wrote badly in very, very different ways. Jodi is nowhere near as smart as she thinks she is, of course, she certainly lacks the linguistic sophistication to know what the myriad "tells" a forensic linguist looks for are, and both she and Travis left copious writings that the forged letters could be compared to. Does anyone know if this was done?

Thanks for any input.

Does anyone know the details and the chronology of what Nurmi told Sky Hughes about the (totally fake) letters in which "Travis" (in fact Jodi) "confesses" to having a sexual attraction to children, and in particular to one of the Hughes's sons? If I recall correctly (and I probably don't):

• Long before trial, Nurmi told Sky what the letters said and told her that they had been authenticated. I assume this was more of him attempting to be clever by equating the State's "inability to disprove" (since the handwriting in the scanned then e-mailed copies, or whatever they were, could not be officially tested) with "proof of authenticity."

• Sky took it for granted that Nurmi was being straight with her, because surely an officer of the court wouldn't lie to a potential (and important) witness. Nurmi has a record of her saying or writing something to him along the lines of "I knew Travis had some psychological problems but I never realized they were so severe."

• At some point after Sky made that comment to Nurmi, she and Chris were told (probably by Juan?) that the letters were forgeries, that Nurmi knew they were forgeries, and that Nurmi planned to use Sky's comment as part of Jodi's defense. Chris, then, refers to Nurmi as a "snake," but I don't know where or to whom.

• All this comes up early on in a hearing to determine, possibly, the extent to which Chris and Sky were in some way, shape, or form in cahoots with the prosecution, and to what extent they could be treated as hostile witnesses for the defense. Of course I may be completely wrong.

• Has anyone read Chris and Sky's book? Does it talk about this? Do we know why neither of them testified for either side in any part of the main trial?

I have another question about the forged letters. I can understand why it's problematic to attempt to do handwriting analysis on electronic copies, but what about a forensic linguistic analysis? Both Travis and Jodi wrote badly, but they wrote badly in very, very different ways. Jodi is nowhere near as smart as she thinks she is, of course, she certainly lacks the linguistic sophistication to know what the myriad "tells" a forensic linguist looks for are, and both she and Travis left copious writings that the forged letters could be compared to. Does anyone know if this was done?

Thanks for any input.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that Shanna Hogan said in her book that Jodi cut words and phrases from Travis's journal, created the pedophiles letters and then Xeroxed them. That's why there were no originals. I'll try and dig through her book and find exactly what she said.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

&#8226; Long before trial, Nurmi told Sky what the letters said and told her that they had been authenticated. I assume this was more of him attempting to be clever by equating the State's "inability to disprove" (since the handwriting in the scanned then e-mailed copies, or whatever they were, could not be officially tested) with "proof of authenticity."

&#8226; Sky took it for granted that Nurmi was being straight with her, because surely an officer of the court wouldn't lie to a potential (and important) witness. Nurmi has a record of her saying or writing something to him along the lines of "I knew Travis had some psychological problems but I never realized they were so severe."

&#8226; At some point after Sky made that comment to Nurmi, she and Chris were told (probably by Juan?) that the letters were forgeries, that Nurmi knew they were forgeries, and that Nurmi planned to use Sky's comment as part of Jodi's defense. Chris, then, refers to Nurmi as a "snake," but I don't know where or to whom.

&#8226; All this comes up early on in a hearing to determine, possibly, the extent to which Chris and Sky were in some way, shape, or form in cahoots with the prosecution, and to what extent they could be treated as hostile witnesses for the defense. Of course I may be completely wrong.

&#8226; Has anyone read Chris and Sky's book? Does it talk about this? Do we know why neither of them testified for either side in any part of the main trial?

Thanks for any input.

Unfortunately my first link isn't allowed here... it's from "just da truth" so do a google search for that and forged letters, her article should come up and in it she links to this one:

http://www.courtchatter.com/#!What-...-forged-letter/c1oiw/55162b0c0cf21e26bab6a136

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that Shanna Hogan said in her book that Jodi cut words and phrases from Travis's journal, created the pedophiles letters and then Xeroxed them. That's why there were no originals. I'll try and dig through her book and find exactly what she said.

I thought I'd heard something like that as well... but then the news (to me at least) about Jodi's practice 3x5 cards makes it sound like she actually wrote the pedo letters as opposed to them being cut-and-paste. Maybe a bit of both? Using some words cut from his journals and writing in the necessary filler herself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member