Personal Memorial for Zahra (Please share your ideas)

kcsmom76

Verified Insider
Reaction score
I started to go to her "living Hell", I mean house, last night but there were so many reporters and others there that I decided against it.

I heard there is going to be a public memorial for her on Tuesday, her birthday, but I know there will be hundreds of people there not to mention I have school all day that day. I am also a little bit socially backwards so I would of been uncomfortable. But I really feel the need to do something for her instead of just praying.

I keep having this thought of releasing a bunch of purple balloons as if personally releasing Zahra and all the emotions this case has brought me to the heavens. I have thought of going to the place on Christie Road to do it, but I just can't bring myself to go to those places where her bones were found. I think it would too hard to try and "let go" in such a place as that.

I wish I knew of park or place that Zahra loved to go and run so I could go there and do this personal memorial for her. Does anyone have any ideas?

You know what, I would do something for LE, and drop it off to the desk clerk and ask him/her to pass it on to the detectives. Maybe a fresh homemade pie or something. *shrug* Even if they don't eat the pie the gesture is great and I think Zahra would love that for they found her.

Lera that sounds great. I had actually be thinking of doing that, but with me shy and all, and thinking that maybe they were being inundated with things like that, that maybe I should do something else.

I have had so many thoughts as to what to do. I wish I could narrow it down. I would love the chance to meet other "verified locals" but am terribly shy.

I was just getting ready and kept coming back to going to Waterworks here in Sawmills and releasing the balloons. This is the area I am talking about. http://s1189.photobucket.com/home/amylynn34 I get such a calming vibe when I am there.

I have also thought of trying to find Zahra's Mum Emilie Dietrich and just giving her a hug and maybe a stuffed animal to take back home with her. I hope she gets to take Zahra's remains back to Australia. It seems she was much happier there than she was here.

KCsmom--

I, too, have some social anxiety, but I was just thinking what about something at the racetrack where Zahra got her hearing aids? I'll bet there are LOTS of people who would like a more formal goodbye, and I'll bet that if someone asked Jennifer Moxley, the reporter who covered the hearing aid event and has been following Zahra's case, she would be willing to do the 'putting together' of an event like that! She'd have the contacts to do so. That way, you could be doing something for a lot of others to participate, but could do it more from behind the scenes...

I have a small circular flower bed in my side yard that I haven't had time to do anything with. All I have there now is a bird bath. I thought I might move the birdbath, and in it's place plant a bush that blooms Oct.-Nov. I'm heading to the nursery today to see what's available, and I'll plant it on Zahra's birthday. Something I can watch grow, you know?

I have been thinking about just what I could do. I've been doing a lot of yardwork lately - clearing beds, seeding grass, etc. I have one area near my front door - nothing there - would love to plant many different colored impatiens (sp?), I will now do that for Zahra. I have a small paito out front with two square concrete corners. I plan on putting two poinsettias in pots (one on each) for Xmas. Those I will do those for Haleigh and Kyron. I'm also going to put in a gardenia bush in the back - for Caylee. Just my way of showing my love for these children that were taken to soon and wish them a very Merry Christmas in heaven with the angels.

I've got a really pretty scroll-work planter on my deck I've been trying to decide how to use. I think I'll plant some purple pansies in it this fall, replace with my favorite, purple lisianthus, in the spring, and continue to do this each year in remembrance of Zahra.

If those who have moved on can feel what we left behind try to express for them, then Zahra surely knows how truly and dearly loved she is. :)

Lera that sounds great. I had actually be thinking of doing that, but with me shy and all, and thinking that maybe they were being inundated with things like that, that maybe I should do something else.

I have had so many thoughts as to what to do. I wish I could narrow it down. I would love the chance to meet other "verified locals" but am terribly shy.

I was just getting ready and kept coming back to going to Waterworks here in Sawmills and releasing the balloons. This is the area I am talking about. http://s1189.photobucket.com/home/amylynn34 I get such a calming vibe when I am there.

I have also thought of trying to find Zahra's Mum Emilie Dietrich and just giving her a hug and maybe a stuffed animal to take back home with her. I hope she gets to take Zahra's remains back to Australia. It seems she was much happier there than she was here.

I can tell you that Police officers work long and hard. Most people only hear about the bad stuff, and get upset when they get a speeding ticket and such. Police never get that pat on the back and they should. They have handled this so far with grace and determination, not only because that was their job but because NOT ONE person cared for this Child, and they took it upon themselves to CARE, which in turn made all of us take notice. If I had money maybe mouse pads with Zahra's picture on it saying Thank you for finding me. Would be a nice thing too.

We've heard many investigators working on cases involving children keep a picture of that child in their office years and years after the case was solved. Zahra's death brought so many together, and gave the police department much deserved respect. It is a shame that it had to be her death to do that.

The locals of the area should thank their lucky stars for having an outstanding police department. Knowing they are out there watching over you, seeing the down trodden day after day, without a Thank you but instead an angry face when someone gets a speeding ticket. Can you imagine? Yes, be very lucky locals to have such a great police dept.

Sorry for the rant, and it wasn't directed at anyone. Partly my frustration, my profound gratitude knowing that in this UGLY world that there are decent people that care is what Zahra gave me.

I have been thinking about just what I could do. I've been doing a lot of yardwork lately - clearing beds, seeding grass, etc. I have one area near my front door - nothing there - would love to plant many different colored impatiens (sp?), I will now do that for Zahra. I have a small paito out front with two square concrete corners. I plan on putting two poinsettias in pots (one on each) for Xmas. Those I will do those for Haleigh and Kyron. I'm also going to put in a gardenia bush in the back - for Caylee. Just my way of showing my love for these children that were taken to soon and wish them a very Merry Christmas in heaven with the angels.

My deck is surrounded by gardenias, and the scent is so beautifully fragrant. I'd highly recommend planting where a breeze will carry it in an open window or near a deck, patio, or somewhere you'll often sit or pass by. The blooms are so prolific that I can cut fresh bouquets for every room in the house, every other day, from June through October.

Tip -- if you want more than one, you can easily root gardenias in rooting medium or just by sticking a de-leafed sprig in a jar of water til it roots, then planting.

I love your ideas for remembering these children this way! :hug:

My deck is surrounded by gardenias, and the scent is so beautifully fragrant. I'd highly recommend planting where a breeze will carry it in an open window or near a deck, patio, or somewhere you'll often sit or pass by. The blooms are so prolific that I can cut fresh bouquets for every room in the house, every other day, from June through October.

Tip -- if you want more than one, you can easily root gardenias in rooting medium or just by sticking a de-leafed sprig in a jar of water til it roots, then planting.

I love your ideas for remembering these children this way! :hug:
TY - living in South Florida all my life I come to equate gardenias with spring. We don't really get a change of seasons here - so I know its spring when the gardenias bloom. And yes, they are absolutely beautiful and their fragrance is wonderful.

Also, I have night blooming jasmine - and it just bloomed a few weeks ago. I just love it. Those bushes will "smell up" an entire neighborhood. I've had people over the years tell me the scent is so strong that they can't stand it - well I say tough - lol. Just shut your windows, teehee.

Everyone has some good ideas.I have been following far too many murdered and missing children, it is heartbreaking.I am going to try to honor all the little ones who are taken to soon,by starting a group to try to change the child protection agencies that are not working in each and every state.If we joined together maybe we could make a difference for children to be safe instead of such easy prey in their own homes.If we all stand together as one voice for our children maybe we can make a difference.

DH suggested to me today that he plans to revamp an area in my front yard in front of my big picture window. He envisions building a retaining wall and making daughter and I a raised flowerbed there.

I am by no means a green thumb, I can kill a plant faster than anything. But him suggesting that, out of the blue, right after I read so many considering a sort of living personal memorial to our special victims, seems like the universe suggesting I give this a try.

Any suggestions of hearty, flowering plants that might attract butterflies would sure be appreciated. I intend to make this a special project for DD and I come spring. (BTW DD is not the brown thumb that I am, she actually can grow stuff, lol)

DH suggested to me today that he plans to revamp an area in my front yard in front of my big picture window. He envisions building a retaining wall and making daughter and I a raised flowerbed there.

I am by no means a green thumb, I can kill a plant faster than anything. But him suggesting that, out of the blue, right after I read so many considering a sort of living personal memorial to our special victims, seems like the universe suggesting I give this a try.

Any suggestions of hearty, flowering plants that might attract butterflies would sure be appreciated. I intend to make this a special project for DD and I come spring. (BTW DD is not the brown thumb that I am, she actually can grow stuff, lol)
check out some of the online gardening sites - one good one I've found is "Michigan Bulb" - they have butterfly gardens that you can purchase with all the plants and a layout - or you can get an idea of what plants you want and then go to Home Depot to look for them.

HTH

I mailed a check yesterday in Zahra's name to the Hickory PD's Cops for Tots Christmas Program. I dropped a thank you note to them with the check.

I thought it was a nice way to honor both Zahra and the Hickory PD for all that they did to bring her home and also help other children that are less fortunate. I think Zahra would love that idea.
For more than 20 years, the Hickory Police Department has held a "Cops for Tots" toy drive for its annual Christmas Wish House. In mid-December each year, the Christmas Wish House is open to parents or guardians of children in need to select holiday gifts for their children.

Donation boxes will be located in numerous businesses by early November for the collection of new or slightly used toys. The main donation box is located in the lobby of the Floyd W. Lucas, Jr. Police Headquarters. Monetary donations can be made out to "Cops for Tots" and mailed to Cops for Tots, Hickory Police Department, 347 2nd Avenue, SW, Hickory, NC 28602. Monetary donations are used strictly for the purchase of toys to put in the Wish House.

"Although a lot of toys are collected, there never seems to be enough and we are thankful to receive funds to purchase additional items," said Libby Grigg who started the program at the Hickory Police Department.

For more information, call (828) 324-2060.
http://www.hickorygov.com/egov/docs/1288206664209.htm

I'm hosting a birthday vigil for Zahra in Greensboro, NC. We are trying to coordinate them everywhere. The Hickory one is at Union Square 6-7pm Tuesday. I know there's one going on in Goergia, Ohio and California as well as two in Australia. Several people doing this are going to upload the photos to the Zahra Project facebook page and I am going to put them all in one folder.
As far as what I am going to do for Zahra in my heart... I am going to make a difference. I signed up to be a Guardian ad Litem (if I'm accepted), I wrote a letter to the Hickory PD stating how important I thought it was that the people who knew about Zahra's abuse and didn't report it be made examples of. I made two shirts at cafepress with child abuse statistics on the back and phrasing to really get people thinking. I am going to try to do everything in my power to try to prevent this stuff from happening because it happens way too much.

Everyone has so many great ideas.
I wish I was in a warm location, I would plant a rose bush.........
white......I read that the name ZAHRA means white, flower.
I must wait til spring here.
All I can do is on her birthday I will light a pink candle in her memory.
Thoughts and prayers for her memorial birthday vigil.
No one can hurt you anymore Zahra!
Dance with the angels ..........

I started to go to her "living Hell", I mean house, last night but there were so many reporters and others there that I decided against it.

I heard there is going to be a public memorial for her on Tuesday, her birthday, but I know there will be hundreds of people there not to mention I have school all day that day. I am also a little bit socially backwards so I would of been uncomfortable. But I really feel the need to do something for her instead of just praying.

I keep having this thought of releasing a bunch of purple balloons as if personally releasing Zahra and all the emotions this case has brought me to the heavens. I have thought of going to the place on Christie Road to do it, but I just can't bring myself to go to those places where her bones were found. I think it would too hard to try and "let go" in such a place as that.

I wish I knew of park or place that Zahra loved to go and run so I could go there and do this personal memorial for her. Does anyone have any ideas?

I personally like the idea of planting a tree or plant to represent eternity, peace and tranquility.

While I think balloon releases are thoughtful and look beautiful, environmentally they can be quite destructive.

Or, a donation to a kids cancer organisation in the US. In Australia, we have organisations like Camp Quality.

Another suggestion:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff