Eli Wallach, star of The Magnificent Seven, dies at 98

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28012230

Eli Wallach, whose films included The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, has died aged 98.

Character actor Wallach - who began his film career in 1956 after 10 years on stage - was admired for his wide range in a career spanning six decades.

His portrayal of bandit chief Calvera in The Magnificent Seven was regarded by many as his definitive role.

When he received an honorary Oscar in 2011, he was described as a "quintessential chameleon".

He certainly had a good innings and what a brilliant actor. R.I.P.

R.I.P. Eli.

I believe his niece is married to crime novelist and true-crime writer James Ellroy, the son of Geneva Ellroy, the victim in an unsolved 1958 murder. See my later correction regarding this statement-they did not marry

R.I.P. Eli.

I believe his niece is married to crime novelist and true-crime writer James Ellroy, the son of Geneva Ellroy, the victim in an unsolved 1958 murder.
That would be great if it were true. James Ellroy has been divorced from Helen Knode since 2006, and is now in a relationship with Erika Schickel. Neither woman is Wallach's niece.

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighborhood James Ellroy Geek :cool:

That would be great if it were true. James Ellroy has been divorced from Helen Knode since 2006, and is now in a relationship with Erika Schickel. Neither woman is Wallach's niece.

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighborhood James Ellroy Geek :cool:

Well, that's what I understood Ellroy to say in his audio commentary for The Lineup, a Wallach film. I'll watch it again sometime. It's the only film I prefer to watch with the audio commentary.

Edit: OK, I see now that a woman named Joan was a woman that Ellroy was apparently in love with and was Wallach's niece by marriage. Apparently he never married her. I was confused when Ellroy referred to him as uncle Eli.

Thanks for calling that to my attention. I also corrected this on another site where I made the same statement.

Well, that's what I understood Ellroy to say in his audio commentary for The Lineup, a Wallach film. I'll watch it again sometime.
I'll happily admit to being wrong if you can post a verifying link. Not saying that to be snarky. I've Googled everything I can think of to find it mentioned somewhere, but keep coming up empty. Will keep looking.

I'll happily admit to being wrong if you can post a verifying link. Not saying that to be snarky. I've Googled everything I can think of to find it mentioned somewhere, but keep coming up empty. Will keep looking.

See my correction. You were right but there is some connection as I indicated in my redo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back