VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #5 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some comment on NK's Facebook by a friend that sounded like there was always drama around her (and I don't mean theater drama). They didn't use that word but it came off that way. I tend to wonder if she learned of DE's situation and attached herself to the crazy drama of the problem.

I'm starting to lean towards DE as the mastermind. Based on the fact that he did not waive his Miranda rights and chose to remain silent. (as far as we know). The fact that NK waived her rights has me wondering why: did she think they would go easier on her if she cooperated? Don't most people know you should never talk to detectives without your lawyer present? Wouldn't her parents have instructed her to wait for her attorney ? Or is she a people pleaser who thought she could talk her way out of it?
On the other hand, DE seems to be stone cold sober, not giving anything up, remaining silent. They takes a very strong-willed individual to be able to do that, IMO.

I agree that DE has willpower and inner strength. I don't however yet believe he was the mastermind. I have a hunch he feels righteous indignation over the accusations, and I think he knows it's in his best interest to keep his rights and remain silent for now. As a long distance runner, the guy has stamina physically and emotionally. And as a young man accused of a heinous crime, he said he believed the truth would set him free, which shows an inner strength to me.

Please note: just because I notice his inner strength does not mean I think he is innocent or admirable. I think he's guilty of murder, though I do not yet buy that he is the mastermind.

NK on the other hand does not have inner strength, imo. She was very fragile emotionally to begin with and no way would I expect her to stand up to interrogations.

I don't think who is talking indicates who was in charge of the crime. For the moment, I still think NK was the mastermind manipulator....but time will tell.

JMOpinion at the moment.

There was some comment on NK's Facebook by a friend that sounded like there was always drama around her (and I don't mean theater drama). They didn't use that word but it came off that way. I tend to wonder if she learned of DE's situation and attached herself to the crazy drama of the problem.

This has always been my suspicion.

Look at the way she reacted when she got arrested and then at her bail hearing. Lots of drama. I also think she is a bit unstable and was also prey for DE.

Yeah, it was something like "you're crazy - you're always flipping out about something or other". But they said it jokingly and added that they loved her.

Yeah, it was something like "you're crazy - you're always flipping out about something or other". But they said it jokingly and added that they loved her.

Yes! Just kinda sounded like there was always a bit of drama.

I would put the talking to LE more to personality and to who was the mastermind. NK is weak, DE knew they had a plan and stuck to it. He probably didn't know at first she had told so much, even if it wasn't everything.

I also think a school having classes or special talks to students about online activities is a good idea, but I don't think it is the schools responsibility to monitor students online activity. If the parents are the ones that give the student the device or access to it, It is their responsibility. Some parents are lazy. If the tablet or phone is keeping the kid occupied, good. Same way people used to use the tv.

all MOO only

Does everybody think this was a first time offense for DE or have there been previous cases where he didn't move on to murder?

I understand that that both males and females want and need love, but at age l3, looking for that kind of male attention seems totally inappropriate to me. And, she was not just looking, she appeared to be desperate for this kind of attention. I am absolutely not blaming her; I just don't get it, this unusual level of searching for a boyfriend at the tender age of l3. And sneaking out her window, didn't it get very cold in that apartment that night with the window open. I remember being an older teenager, and opening the window a crack in my bedroom, so a girlfriend and I could smoke a cigarette, my father was on us instantly, feeling the cold air. I just wish someone had noticed something. I guess that is why they say hindsight is 20/20. Thanks. Katt

I truly think that she was merely looking for a way to get peer acceptance due to the bullying. Now it's clear by her statements to peers about having a date with an older fella; Tells us that she thought this was the way to get accepted and respected by her young peers.

Now once she took to the Internet for men. She clearly seen the competition level that was out there on the net. But she also seen the perverted guys that was accepting all invitations to reply or correspond with dirty talk. This in it's entirety was her sad way of thinking that she was being accepted by the older crowd and it obviously cost her, her life.

Very sad indeed.

Does everybody think this was a first time offense for DE or have there been previous cases where he didn't move on to murder?

IMOO I think he escalated to murder.......and that his evil counterpart isn't that innocent either
all under the radar so they could get into college

I once knew a girl in school that went wild with boys, older guys etc...........kids back then called her a tramp. In later years, she confided that she had been molested by a family member for years. She also drank heavy and died young. I am not accusing anyone in NL family or friends, but could this of been NL case also? She was young and cute and allot of time in the hospital............was she cared for by males that she thought of like heros?

Would they have known about Keepers the next day if she had not texted POLICE?

This is why all people need a lawyer before talking to the cops. Because you can lead the cops to everything and everyone with only having minimal involvement. But if the district attorney doesn't sign off on anything before hand then you are out of luck. Jmo.

That seems a bit confusing. In some stories, police were talking to him when the text came through. In others, they were talking to her when she sent it. I'm tending to guess he gave her as an alibi and she fell apart quickly when questioned.

IMO First time for murder. I think they both started with different motivation and fed off of each other.

DE needed a solution & NK started the script.

I was following you and understood until 'district attorney.' What does the DA have to do? So you can refuse to talk to the cops and how does the DA work into that? Thank you.

This is why all people need a lawyer before talking to the cops. Because you can lead the cops to everything and everyone with only having minimal involvement. But if the district attorney doesn't sign off on anything before hand then you are out of luck. Jmo.

I was just about to mention that---the reason he's choosing to make use of his right to remain silent, whereas NK chose not to, might just come down to their individual will-power. LE probably didn't have enough info at the time to convince DE he should talk, but by the time they talked to NK, they probably knew the two were together on the day NL went missing or knew she had some knowledge about her whereabouts based on the 'POLICE' text she sent him. They probably didn't have that kind of knowledge to use as leverage when they arrested DE. LE can, and will, lie to suspects to get them to talk. They might have said something like... "look, we've already spoken with DE and we know you two were together that night. If you scratch our backs, we'll scratch yours." Then, she probably said the bit about not wanting to go to jail and they probably told her if she helped them find NL, she might not go to jail but definitely would if she didn't. So, she started talking.

ETA: Although... I am surprised that she told them as much as she did and admitted her level of involvement... even if she's still not being completely truthful.

ETAA: Maybe that's why she looked so pissed in her mugshot photo? Because she thought LE would let her go if she gave them information but then got arrested anyway. She has little to no deductive reasoning skills if she actually believed she wouldn't go to jail but it's possible, I suppose.

If that was her first time in any serious trouble with the law then I could easily see her believing that if she told them the truth that they would let her go and maybe all that would happen is her having to come back to maybe get probation or something simple if she just cooperates.

She may have thought that since she was the one talking that she was getting a free ticket to testify against the other. Maybe from watching movies where that happened.

The thing she may have not realized is those types of arrangements are done in writing with lawyers present and unless it was all agreed to and signed beforehand then there is nothing binding on LE to do anything special favor for her.

She must have missed all the episodes that tell us to not say anything and get a lawyer when in serious trouble.

I was following you and understood until 'district attorney.' What does the DA have to do? So you can refuse to talk to the cops and how does the DA work into that? Thank you.

The DA files charges pertaining to the information at hand by the police. But they will negotiate before filing certain charges if you have key information, minimal involvement and a lawyer that can delegate a possible deal for certain charges if the client cooperates. But there is usually a clause that if the client is not totally forth coming; Then additional charges will be filled as well.

So some people with knowledge and minimal involvement that have key incriminating information on the main conspirator; Should not talk to the police without a lawyer present that is willing to negotiate with the DA beforehand to avoid certain charges or leniency of certain filing charges. Jmo for now.

I've never been a parent in this situation and hope to never be a grandparent in this situation, but I have to say that I'm sure that knowing what NL's parents know now they would probably do things differently. Unfortunately there are no do overs in life. You live, you learn, you make your mistakes and hopefully no one is harmed. These parents didn't set out to harm their child, or let harm come to her. I'm sure she was and is loved and treasured. NL went through a lot in her short life and I'm sure that decisions were made that were based on all things throughout her life, not just what we know after the fact. My heart goes out to NL's parents and family.

I had a sibling pass away from cancer and his kids were running wild. When we'd try to talk to him about the consequences and the what if's of not enforcing the rules strong and hard, he would break down and say that it wasn't what he wanted their last memory of him to be.
I'm sure that the parents, even though they weren't the ones sick, felt some of these same things with NL.

Shame on DE and NK for taking her from all those that loved her and would have loved her. Life is hard, and they just made it harder for NL's loved ones.
May justice be swift!

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members