Pre-Trial Hearings & Discussion

I just a heard a report on the radio from a reporter who was at the arraignment today. He's from AM 640 KFI in So Cal. He said that MH's demeanor was markedly different from before. She looked dull, did not cry, engaged with her attorney (a new one), and even cracked a smile. She stared directly at the judge BUT whenever he mentioned the words sex or sexual or molestation, she looked down and would n ot meet his gaze. Seems like a clear sign of guilt to me!

I am so glad that CA treats cases this way. I have become even more appreciative after seeing all the information released during the CA trial. FL is just OTT imo.

Hi Bean, I so agree with you. What in the world were they thinking of to create a Sunshine Law? In essence making all the info public before trial, how do they ever find a qualified jury?

PLUS, now posters almost expect this in other cases like Sandra's, and it just ain't gonna happen!

Hi Bean, I so agree with you. What in the world were they thinking of to create a Sunshine Law? In essence making all the info public before trial, how do they ever find a qualified jury?

PLUS, now posters almost expect this in other cases like Sandra's, and it just ain't gonna happen!
It's a disaster and that is what acquittals are made of.

From what I read last night, no plea is expected to be entered today either. :confused:
I didn't know a person or their attorney could negate the right to a speedy trial by holding up judicial process.
Is it possible that no plea will be entered again?
Would the defense be asking for other types of psych. evals, if this is true?

Thanks,
Maria

Not sure if this has been posted, but here are the minutes from today's hearing. No plea entered.

http://www.stocktoncourt.org./courts/news/People_v_Melissa_Huckaby_-_Court_Minute_Order_042409.pdf

Best,

As soon as the term "foreign object" was mentioned, I thought it might be too horrific to have released to potential jurors. I just pray Sandra was completely unconscious. :furious: MOO

After hearing/reading what the judge said, I wouldn't be suprised if she pleads guilty. MH is toast if it goes before a jury. If it horrifies a judge - can you imagine what it would do to the jury? I can't!

Peace,

The is chilling.

"Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus ruled that the results of the autopsy and other medical tests in the case will remain under seal. She said there's a danger of public outrage if the scientific data were to be made public."

Bless Sandra, may she rest in peace.

I'm so glad that they are sealing these records. I don't think the public need to know what was done to this beautiful little girl. I'm glad that her parents can be assured that only the people who have to know what was done to little Sandra for the sake of this case have that info. I don't want to even imagine what Melissa did to Sandra much less know for sure. No little child should have to go through the torture this little one must have suffered. Bless her family.

As soon as the term "foreign object" was mentioned, I thought it might be too horrific to have released to potential jurors. I just pray Sandra was completely unconscious. :furious: MOO

Hi Sweetie, What was even more telling for me was in that link we got this morning it said the autopsy and tox reports {I think, but its what I came away with after reading it}, which alluded to me it was not only what was shown in the autopsy done by a foreign object, but the fact something major must have shown up in the tox results to tell that she was drugged as well. IMO only.

Tomoz when I am awake I will go grab the link I read that stated both of these things as the reason they wouldn't release the findings as they would certainly cause a public outrage! xox

See you in the morning!

I'm really wondering if those tox reports do show evidence that Sandra was drugged more than once over the last 8 months or so, since MH showed up at the mobile home park and Sandra began playing with her little daughter.

Sandra's hair was pretty long, so it may be possible for the forensics to get a pretty clear picture of the drugs that were introduced to her system for the past 8 months.

THIS IS ALL SPECULATION on my part, there has been nothing published that would support this idea.

Salem

I have always been strongly against the DP but this case is really exercising my mind. What that monster has done must be unthinkable,
Poor Sandra and her poor family, reading about all this makes me want to sob. I cannot imagine how her family feel:(

I am in shock and pain. I cannot stop thinking about what that poor little angel endured at such a tender age. I cannot safely post here what I think should happen next to MH It would be far outside of rules/parameters... even my husband warned me to exercise restraint in my postings. I am crestfallen. I am brokenhearted. But most of all, I am as angry as a team of hornets, and I want her to pay the APPROPRIATE price for her crime. I cannot even begin to imagine what horrors lie in the forensics reports that would cause a judge to act/remark the way she did. Poor, poor little angel. Rest in eternal peace... My God, it is so horrific... the poor Chavez/Cantu family.. my heart breaks for them...

I am in shock and pain. I cannot stop thinking about what that poor little angel endured at such a tender age. I cannot safely post here what I think should happen next to MH It would be far outside of rules/parameters... even my husband warned me to exercise restraint in my postings. I am crestfallen. I am brokenhearted. But most of all, I am as angry as a team of hornets, and I want her to pay the APPROPRIATE price for her crime. I cannot even begin to imagine what horrors lie in the forensics reports that would cause a judge to act/remark the way she did. Poor, poor little angel. Rest in eternal peace... My God, it is so horrific... the poor Chavez/Cantu family.. my heart breaks for them...

:cry: :hug:

:cry: :hug:

I think that WS is therapudic for me. I helps to get all the stuff that is going on in my head and heart "out there" with people who are as affected as I am. Sometimes I feel like we go into analytic mode to keep it from hurting our souls and hearts so much. It is impossible to prevent that from happening all the time and forever so it really is helpful to me to be around people who understand. I admire the minds of you all so much I don't express how everyones hearts are so valuable as well. Thanks everybody! :blowkiss:

I'm hoping that there is nothing in the autopsy that we don't already know about, that she is protecting Sandra's family, and her wording is more to prevent pursuing the matter further. The outrage she is afraid of could be be our reaction to seeing it all in black and white and Sandra being discussed in the cold terms of science. :cry:

I don't think that keeping it sealed has anything to do with any evidence pointing to Sandra's family as abusers. If that were the case we would know because the state would have to respond to keep Sandra's sister safe. :cow:

I have VERY conflicted feelings about this ruling. First, I don't know if judges can seal parts of the actual trial. If so, then it appears to me that Melissa Huckaby is being protected. Sandra is in heaven. Words about what was done to her cannot hurt her any longer.

We KNOW what people like Jeffrey Dahmer did to their victims, we know about Adam Walsh being beheaded.. We know about many aspects of the JonBenet Ramsey case where the autopsy showed that the 6 yr. old's hymen was missing except for one fragment, that there were chronic signs of vaginal tissue erosion, and that her vaginal opening was larger than that of most known chronically sexually abused girls. And there was no trial for Adam Walsh or JonBenet Ramsey in this world and most likely never will be. The most likely perps are deceased.
Nothing was spared us, but it helped us understand what the beautiful children suffered at the hands of monsters. In JonBenet's case, most people believe she suffered greatly and chronically at the hands of someone she probably trusted and loved with all her heart.

The withholding of details in this case causes me to wonder:

Will the information be released at trial? How can a trial be complete if all the evidence against the accused is not released? If the sealing of the autopsy and other supporting documentation means " sealed for 50 years" or whenever the FOIA kicks in for sensitive documents, then:
1) Will the Cantu/ Chavez family not have access to their daughter's autopsy either, even though they have a right to know if they want to know?

2) If the family has the documentation available to them, then are the records sealed to protect Sandra, who was pure, innocent, and is now deceased and cannot be harmed by the entire results being made public---
OR is this a backhanded attempt to shelter Melissa Huckaby and HER family?
This is what it appears to be to me.

3) When did the judiciary start deciding to censor the results of a crimescene investigation, including an autopsy report? Who does the judge think paid for the investigation and autopsy? Taxpayers did, and she is accountable to the public.

4) I don't know what could be in the sealed report that we haven't ever heard of or read about here on WS. I don't think there's one single thing that could be shocking at this point. Although the facts may hurt, it gives us more of an insight into the criminality of Melissa Huckaby.

Regrettably going against popular opinion here, I think the public does have the right to know, if they want to know. I do not see this decision as protecting either Sandra or her family as much as I view it as protection for the sick perp., Melissa Lawless Huckaby.

Adults have the ability and the right to either read or not read an autopsy report;to discuss or not discuss the clinical findings, which in murder cases are more likely to be shocking and gruesome than not.

JMO,
Maria
I don't give that Monster Melissa one ounce of wiggle room, nor one second of comfort to hide behind.

Disclaimer-Again, I don't know if this ruling means it will not be part of her trial because IMO, if it will be part of the trial, then this is one heck of a short delay for ? reasons.

During the short proceedings on Friday it has been reported that Huckaby seemed more relaxed and at ease than her previous appearance. And although she showed no emotion for most of her appearance she did smile at her attorney at one point.

This to me would indicate a level of comfort and assurance. Could the defense be building a strong case for her, one that she is content with?

I have VERY conflicted feelings about this ruling. First, I don't know if judges can seal parts of the actual trial. If so, then it appears to me that Melissa Huckaby is being protected. Sandra is in heaven. Words about what was done to her cannot hurt her any longer.

We KNOW what people like Jeffrey Dahmer did to their victims, we know about Adam Walsh being beheaded.. We know about many aspects of the JonBenet Ramsey case where the autopsy showed that the 6 yr. old's hymen was missing except for one fragment, that there were chronic signs of vaginal tissue erosion, and that her vaginal opening was larger than that of most known chronically sexually abused girls. And there was no trial for Adam Walsh or JonBenet Ramsey in this world and most likely never will be. The most likely perps are deceased.
Nothing was spared us, but it helped us understand what the beautiful children suffered at the hands of monsters. In JonBenet's case, most people believe she suffered greatly and chronically at the hands of someone she probably trusted and loved with all her heart.

The withholding of details in this case causes me to wonder:

Will the information be released at trial? How can a trial be complete if all the evidence against the accused is not released? If the sealing of the autopsy and other supporting documentation means " sealed for 50 years" or whenever the FOIA kicks in for sensitive documents, then:
1) Will the Cantu/ Chavez family not have access to their daughter's autopsy either, even though they have a right to know if they want to know?

2) If the family has the documentation available to them, then are the records sealed to protect Sandra, who was pure, innocent, and is now deceased and cannot be harmed by the entire results being made public---
OR is this a backhanded attempt to shelter Melissa Huckaby and HER family?
This is what it appears to be to me.

3) When did the judiciary start deciding to censor the results of a crimescene investigation, including an autopsy report? Who does the judge think paid for the investigation and autopsy? Taxpayers did, and she is accountable to the public.

4) I don't know what could be in the sealed report that we haven't ever heard of or read about here on WS. I don't think there's one single thing that could be shocking at this point. Although the facts may hurt, it gives us more of an insight into the criminality of Melissa Huckaby.

Regrettably going against popular opinion here, I think the public does have the right to know, if they want to know. I do not see this decision as protecting either Sandra or her family as much as I view it as protection for the sick perp., Melissa Lawless Huckaby.

Adults have the ability and the right to either read or not read an autopsy report;to discuss or not discuss the clinical findings, which in murder cases are more likely to be shocking and gruesome than not.

JMO,
Maria
I don't give that Monster Melissa one ounce of wiggle room, nor one second of comfort to hide behind.

Disclaimer-Again, I don't know if this ruling means it will not be part of her trial because IMO, if it will be part of the trial, then this is one heck of a short delay for ? reasons.

No Sandra can no longer be hurt but her family can. I feel like as a parent it should be the parents right to decide whether to release their child's information to the public. I'm thinking more with my heart than legally. I just don't see this as protecting MH, we already know she is a very sick and twisted individual. More details of what she did to Sandra isn't going to change that. IMO

No Sandra can no longer be hurt but her family can. I feel like as a parent it should be the parents right to decide whether to release their child's information to the public. I'm thinking more with my heart than legally. I just don't see this as protecting MH, we already know she is a very sick and twisted individual. More details of what she did to Sandra isn't going to change that. IMO

This we don't know. Many only suspect.

This we don't know. Many only suspect.
anything involving murder of a little girl is sick and twisted. We KNOW Sandra was murdered. Melissa is arrested for it. Do you honestly think LE has nothing to corroborate this arrest?????

Seekingjana,
I agree with your above post and seriously wonder why it was sealed as well.

Thank you, NurseBee. :)
It flies in the face of what we know about so many other children's' murders, and adults' also.
Facts are facts and if people can't take it, then they have the option to stay away from the details, IMO. This includes Sandra's family, although I believe that with the proper and gentle explanations, they could accept anything unknown as easily as the crime facts which are already known.
And if people say this is " unrealistic"- Please read the book " Death Of Innocence" and the interviews and depositions probably found right here on WS about the Ramsey case. The parents, John and Patsy, always maintained that they did not know JonBenet had been sexually abused prior to her death. Parents can choose to read the autopsy or not. ( I think the Ramseys were lying about many aspects of JonBenet's murder for their own purposes , but their statements indicate that they most likely did not ever read the official autopsy report).

I don't want ANY ASPECT of Melissa Huckaby's actions hidden from public view. The most horrible things, that which apparently has been sealed, COULD make some people understand the need for the death penalty easier. Or the info could be the thing which tips the scales to cause some parents to be more pro-active with their own small child's safety in a neighborhood setting.

Mostly, I don't want Huckaby to have the luxury of the judiciary hiding one single aspect of the crime from the world. :furious:
She deserves NO special consideration.

Sandra is NOT sullied in any way by the recounting of factual clinical information contained in the autopsy. JonBenet Ramsey's case was discussed in much clinical detail, and I bet there are mothers who learned what cannot be attributed to bikes, bubble bath or Pull- Ups. THEIR daughters benefited from the minute details and the professional discussion on TV and elsewhere.
Only a full blown pedophile would consider any of the data salacious or titillating.
JBR's autopsy details showed that she suffered chronic sexual abuse with an inanimate object. At the time and probably even now, some will argue the point, but there can be no misinterpretation of what was done to her over time, by an adult, not necessarily a male.

Again, if we could live with the extremely shocking and heinous fact that Adam Walsh was beheaded in the early 80's, what the heck can't we accept in the year 2009 or 2010?

JMO as an advocate for children and for the truth,
Jana

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth