CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is speculation that someone dumped the back pack to lead the trail away from the neighborhood. I have a person on my radar. It's an RSO. But, apparently, we are not allowed to sleuth RSOs. So my post last night was removed with no explanation.

Got ya! I think we are not allowed to sleuth someone thats not named a suspect or POI. Be they RSO's Family or anyone! We cant just toss someone into the mix if they have not even been questioned in the case!

Got ya! I think we are not allowed to sleuth someone thats not named a suspect or POI. Be they RSO's Family or anyone! We cant just toss someone into the mix if they have not even been questioned in the case!

Ya. I would have been okay if I had not mentioned the word "sleuth" in connection with the RSO. Of course, my sleuthing is basically limited to doing web searches to find out the details of the person's criminal past. It's not like I called his grandma.

There is speculation that someone dumped the back pack to lead the trail away from the neighborhood. I have a person on my radar. It's an RSO. But, apparently, we are not allowed to sleuth RSOs. So my post last night was removed with no explanation.

~bbm~
That's the same feeling I was getting. :dunno:
Just praying Jessica is found safe and soon!

Can anyone tell me what "checking" out the local RSOs might entail? Obviously, police officers can ask to search a home. But, without a warrant, it seems like even an RSO doesn't have to comply. Assuming the RSO did let the police in, how thorough would you expect the search to be? I mean, if you have a hunch, is that enough to fingerprint a car, check in the attic? It seems like the police would be very limited in what they can do.

I say all this with the suspicion that Jessica has never left that neighborhood. I think she's still there within a block or two of her home. I hope and pray that she's okay. But my heart is breaking all over again.

By the way, I understand why they don't want people sleuthing RSOs. Lawsuits are expensive.

This case gives me a sinking feeling in the pit if my stomach.

I've sent a note to a mod for clarification. RSO's used to be fair game. IMO, they are automatically Person of Interest status when they live in an area where a child disappears. They are after all publicly listed on a sex offender list.

Can anyone tell me what "checking" out the local RSOs might entail? Obviously, police officers can ask to search a home. But, without a warrant, it seems like even an RSO doesn't have to comply. Assuming the RSO did let the police in, how thorough would you expect the search to be? I mean, if you have a hunch, is that enough to fingerprint a car, check in the attic? It seems like the police would be very limited in what they can do.

I say all this with the suspicion that Jessica has never left that neighborhood. I think she's still there within a block or two of her home. I hope and pray that she's okay. But my heart is breaking all over again.

By the way, I understand why they don't want people sleuthing RSOs. Lawsuits are expensive.

I don't know how it works with RSO but when i was on probation for something minor many years ago.. One night about 3 months into it, my PO knocked on my door at 2 am and searched my home. He was making sure i was home and making sure i had no alcohol in it as well. He went through my closets, cupboards, fridge, basement garage.. not with a fine tooth comb.. .but pretty darn close. When i signed up for my probation at the office i signed papers acknowledging that i gave them the right to search and do home checks and stuff.

BBM. I believe this to be the case as well and the reason the backpack and water bottle were left miles away to obviously be found. IMO, the perp is nervous about LE being so close.

What? Since when can we not sleuth RSO's? They are automatic suspects IMO.

Fox & Friends/Fox News will be covering Jessica' story during this segment.

rules on RSOs
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91068"]New Rules on Sex Offenders and Rumors - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Here is the thread on RSOs.

You can link to RSOs in the area. You cannot sleuth them other than what is listed on this thread. If you have a question about a particular case and a particular RSO and what can and cannot be posted in depth you can post your question for administration on this thread.

((please note: questioning of what can and cannot be posted and moderation questions should not be placed on the general discussion thread. I hope that helps. If anyone has a further question please pm a moderator or administrator.))

The biggest problem with RSO's is that they start their evil ways wayyyyyyyyyy before they are registered..

Jerrod Harrell for example.

New thread here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187110"]ACTIVE SEARCH CO - **AMBER ALERT** Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

move on over... this one will close shortly

bbm

That's what I was thinking and that the placement of the 'bag' is a red herring.

I don't know how it works with RSO but when i was on probation for something minor many years ago.. One night about 3 months into it, my PO knocked on my door at 2 am and searched my home. He was making sure i was home and making sure i had no alcohol in it as well. He went through my closets, cupboards, fridge, basement garage.. not with a fine tooth comb.. .but pretty darn close. When i signed up for my probation at the office i signed papers acknowledging that i gave them the right to search and do home checks and stuff.

This is one of my pet peeves! Peeples is correct, they can do a pretty thorough search whether the RSO agrees or not. The problem is that so often, the contact is left up to a probation officer or regular patrol officer who has a list of RSO's to check in a short amount of time. Sometimes, they just knock on the door, ask the RSO where he was and, unless the dude is obviously drunk or covered in blood, we're lucky if they do more than a cursory walk-thru! All the RSO has to do is change clothes and hide the kid in a closet or under the laundry and he's got a pretty good chance of getting "cleared" unless they have some reason to come back and take a closer look.

I am basing my opinion on other cases we've seen with RSO's who've continued to re-offend for years only to find out that the probation officers has very little contact with them at all. Jaycee Dugard's captor is one of them. Other children have been found dead in their homes even after police have "searched" two and three times. John Cooey had a little girl alive in his closet when police searched his home and she ended up buried in his yard!

I love police officers! I am "police family", I see first hand that they work hard and do their best, and risk their lives for the rest of us! The way RSO's are so quickly "cleared" just leaves so much room for error. They need to search everywhere that a small child's body could be hidden and be keenly aware of details such as items belonging to the child. Search Rso's vehicles, outbuildings, attic, crawl spaces, junk in the yard and trash! Look closely at their fingernails, photograph any fresh scratches too!

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member