CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he was wearing a backpack.. or clothing with the school's name on it???

Re the suggestions that this might have been a nasty prank... is there any chance that this could have started out as some sort of hate crime?

$60,000 reward offered in Dubois disappearance
Tip line: Anyone with information about Amber Dubois is asked to call (760) 743-TIPS (8477)
By J Harry Jones; Union-Tribune Staff Writer; 6:43 p.m. March 4, 2009

ESCONDIDO – Reward money totaling $60,000 is being offered for information regarding missing Escondido teenager Amber Dubois, nationally known missing children advocate Marc Klaas announced Wednesday.

Meanwhile, police and Sheriff's Department Search & Rescue team members searched rugged terrain in northern Escondido Tuesday evening and Wednesday for any sign of the 14-year-old girl who disappeared while walking to Escondido High School the morning of Feb. 13.

The reward is split into two segments. Fifty thousand dollars is offered for information leading to the girl's safe return while $10,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.

“(The family) want to get Amber home alive, therefore the majority of money has been allocated to that end,” Klaas said at a news conference outside Escondido High School Wednesday. “But they also understand that there might be darker scenarios and that that might not be possible.”

The reward money has been donated by individuals and businesses who prefer to remain anonymous, Klaas said.

[snipped]

Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter said the department has received about 80 tips and each is being investigated.

About 50 people participated in the latest search after local teens told police about an area in northern Escondido known as “the caves” where youths sometimes go. Search coordinator Don Parker said nothing useful was found.

At the news conference, Maurice Dubois, Amber's father, was asked if he had any message. “Amber, if you're hearing this just know that your family loves you, and we can't wait to have you back in our arms,” Dubois said. “We miss you immensely and we will do everything we possible can to have you home as soon as we possibly can.

“And if you're out there and you know anything regarding this, please help us get our daughter back.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/04/n98618184323/

See attached for reference map.

Attachments

• Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 60
Interesting that Amber’s phone was turned on briefly the next afternoon and someone tried unsuccessfully to access the voicemail, then shut the phone off again. Can the phone company tell if an incorrect password was entered then? If you innocently “found” a phone, would you try to access the voicemail? Thoughts on that?

================

[snipped]
He and Amber's father said the girl sent several text messages to her grandmother and one to a friend before going to school Feb. 13. They said the messages did not provide information about her whereabouts or seem suspicious.

The girl's cell phone was shut off shortly after the messages were sent, Garcia added, noting police relayed information about the phone to the family. The phone was turned back on once on Saturday afternoon when someone tried unsuccessfully to access the phone's voicemail and then shut off again shortly after, they said, adding no further readings from the phone have been retrieved.

Garcia said the phone was not on long enough for authorities to determine specifically where it was. Escondido police were not available to comment on the matter.

http://www.northcountytimes.com/arti...62006f20aa.txt

Her cell phone was turned on once for about 20 seconds the day after she disappeared and has not been turned on since then, Escondido Police spokesman Lt. Bob Benton said.

Sleuthers,

Need your help in spreading the word about Amber's case. She has been missing now for 18 days and as many of you have suggested....doesn't seem like a runaway. We have just arrived in Escondido to assist her family in her search. Marc will be here tomorrow to help her parents. We are gearing up for a search for this weekend. Please do your best to pass the word about Amber and please keep her and her parents in your prayers.

I will do my best over the next few days to keep you up-to-date with whats going on here. Thanks.

Brad

Brad, please give us a "heads-up" as soon as you hear about the staging area and times for the searches this weekend.

Thank you again for the interest in Amber's case. The latest:

As mentioned already..the big news for the day is the announcement of the Reward. We hope to have a staging area for the weekend's search by tomorrow. Members of Laura Recovery Center will be arriving tomorrow to assist us.

Tomorrow will be spent scouting the potential search areas, meeting with LE and media and working with the family on establishing a concerted search effort for Amber.

All of your points are noted and I will be spending a lot of time tomorrow walking the route she took and looking at each of these points of interest. I will give an update tomorrow evening.

Brad

They just said coming up on 10 oclock news--maybe a break in this case. I will stay up for the news and report back in a bit.

Report of possible Amber sighting in the hills north of Escondido. Nothing turned up. Father on tv promising Amber they would find her. 80 tips. Marc Klaas here now. Search continues on Saturday. Still looking for the teens that were seen in the hills to question them.

Nothing really new.

Do any of you other locals here know if the Dixon Lake area is open at night? I am wondering if there is access there or up at Daley Ranch at night. Those are the places I would be looking if I were heading up any searches. I have to work all day Sat and Sun or I would surely be out in these searches.....My daughter used to walk home from Escondido HS. Sure creeps me out right now...

I hope they have checked into all the male students that were marked absent in the morning and any caretakers of that farm yard.

Yes, and the school bus maintenance yard. I wonder if they closed off that entire area to do a thorough search - to find even the tiniest thing that could have been dropped on the ground for instance to give a clue.

Brad and RElady, thanks for the updates.

Cell Phone: If Amber’s cell was turned on for about 20 seconds and someone tried unsuccessfully to access the phone’s voicemail, wouldn’t that be long enough for engineers to get an approximate location? I guess not as it depends on a number of factors? Rats.

Attached is a cell phone tower map for the area – page says it may or may not list all towers in the area

===========
Mobile devices, when they are within range, constantly let cell towers and the mobile switching center, which is connected to multiple towers, know of their location. The mobile switching center uses the location information to ensure that incoming calls and messages are routed to the tower nearest to the user.

If a subscriber is unable to get service, this location information is usually purged from the mobile switching center. But some location information may remain in call detail records. Some mobile operators may store the most recent communication between a device and a mobile switching center for a certain period of time, usually 24 hours.

When someone is missing, even this small bit of information can prove useful in determining the approximate location of a device using the updates from the mobile switching center. If the mobile subscriber is still within cell phone range, authorities can track his or her general movement by following the sequence of towers the phone has contacted or pinged. And if the cell phone goes out of range or runs out of battery power, the mobile operator may be able to use the last recorded location before the cell phone either lost its signal or lost power.

But the most useful information for locating people when they are lost comes when someone has initiated or received a call or text message on their phone. Mobile operators keep records of these events for billing purposes in what is known as a call data record, or CDR. And they can go back to these records to get a historical account of the cell phone's location.

[snipped]

Anderson said that if people ever find themselves in a similar situation--lost and having difficulty getting cell phone reception--they should search for the highest ground or area that may be in the line of sight to a tower. They should hold the phone away from their bodies or high so it has no obstructions to a possible tower. It may take up to two or three minutes for it to synchronize or connect with the cell tower and mobile switching center. Even if they can connect for a second or two, it could be long enough to register a voice mail or text message, which could ultimately help wireless engineers track their location.

http://news.cnet.com/Turning-cell-phones-into-lifelines/2100-1039_3-6140794.html

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php

Attachments

• Cell Tower Map.jpg
    Cell Tower Map.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 126
Hey guys
Has anyone heard any updates on Amber today?
How horrible and frustrating this must be!!!

I wonder if they have or could have a dog follow Amber's scent from some of her clothes/bedding from the point where she was last seen walking by the school, maybe that could help.

We are still unsure of the exact point where Amber was last seen on Broadway. IMO, I'm more inclined to believe that Amber entered the parking lot just south of the football field. I think she disappeared from there.

We are still unsure of the exact point where Amber was last seen on Broadway. IMO, I'm more inclined to believe that Amber entered the parking lot just south of the football field. I think she disappeared from there.

I'm just curious...
why do you think it's more likely that she disapeared from there?

I'm just curious...
why do you think it's more likely that she disapeared from there?

The school bus yard and the school farmyard would have some type of responsible adults around, and I'm sure they were all questioned. No sightings reported from FFA friends who would be hanging out with the animals.

I'll be anxious to hear what Brad has to say after he scopes out the area.

Were there any early morning sports practices that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam