GUILTY KS - Darren Gay, 46, shot to death, Shawnee, 2 July 2013

mysticrose

The key to change... is to let go of fear
Reaction score
Judge says teen accused of killing his father is ‘a risk to society and himself’

SNIPPED....................................

On Friday, the teen’s mother and stepfather as well as nine other close friends and family members sat behind the prosecutors. Judge Michael Farley ruled the 14-year-old will remain in custody and his next court appearance is set for July 16th at 11 a.m.

Before making his ruling Judge Farley called the 14-year-old a risk to society but his mother offered an alternative ruling.

“He will be ok at home. I still love him,” Karen Lindsay said.

Police said the shooting took place in Shawnee when the boy’s mother and stepfather were making a custody exchange with his father. That’s when police say the 14-year-old walked up to his father’s car and fatally shot him.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/07/05/teen-accused-of-killing-father-makes-first-court-appearance/

Prosecutors charge boy, 14, in father’s murder

SHAWNEE, Kan. — Johnson County prosecutors charged a 14-year-old boy on Wednesday with premeditated first-degree murder. They allege that he shot and killed his father Tuesday afternoon in Shawnee.

Police have identified the victim as Darren E. Gay, 46, of Kansas City, Kan. Police said the shooting happened around 3 p.m. at the Lindsay Auction Service, 4795 Frisbie.

According to police, the boy was in the middle of a custody exchange between his mother and father. When he walked to get inside his father’s car he fatally shot him

http://fox4kc.com/2013/07/02/1-dead-in-shawnee-shooting-police-say/

Snipped..............................

Friends of Dalton said Wednesday that he frequently spoke of his dad hitting him and lately had spoken of suicide.

“One night he was acting different and I had to keep asking him what was wrong,” said friend Stephanie Michael, also 14. “He told me his dad was always mean to him, he always beat him and everything, and he was so done with it and he just wanted to kill himself.”

Stephanie said Dalton told her he had a pistol, but she doesn’t know where he got it.

More recently Dalton began posting images and slogans about guns on Instagram.

One image had the drawing of a pistol with the words, “I don’t dial 911.” Another said, “Gun control means using both hands.”

“I didn’t really think anything about it … and then I realized he was posting a lot of stuff about guns,” Stephanie said.

Another friend who attended Basehor-Linwood High School with Dalton said he is usually happy, is well liked and makes people laugh. He ran track and played football. She said his friends were shocked about what happened.

The friend said Dalton spent every other weekend with his father.

According to Johnson County District Court documents, Darren Gay and his former wife had been involved in a sometimes contentious domestic relations case since she filed for divorce in 2000. The records show that he was scheduled to appear in court Friday for failing to keep up with his $200 semimonthly child support payments.

Gay owed more than $5,800 in back child support, according to the documents. In another case, he was ordered in May to pay more than $3,300 for unpaid rent to a former apartment landlord.

According to documents in the domestic relations case, an attorney for Gay’s former wife alleged in a 2009 filing that he had been verbally abusive to his son on the telephone. The filing also alleged that the boy had to sleep on a couch or in the same bed with his father and his father’s girlfriend. That motion sought to restrict Gay’s visitation time with his son and designated that their meetings to exchange custody should occur in a police station parking lot.

http://www.theolathenews.com/2013/07/03/1997224/authorities-charge-14-year-old.html

Snipped..............................

Friends of Dalton said Wednesday that he frequently spoke of his dad hitting him and lately had spoken of suicide.

“One night he was acting different and I had to keep asking him what was wrong,” said friend Stephanie Michael, also 14. “He told me his dad was always mean to him, he always beat him and everything, and he was so done with it and he just wanted to kill himself.”

Stephanie said Dalton told her he had a pistol, but she doesn’t know where he got it.

More recently Dalton began posting images and slogans about guns on Instagram.

One image had the drawing of a pistol with the words, “I don’t dial 911.” Another said, “Gun control means using both hands.”

“I didn’t really think anything about it … and then I realized he was posting a lot of stuff about guns,” Stephanie said.

Another friend who attended Basehor-Linwood High School with Dalton said he is usually happy, is well liked and makes people laugh. He ran track and played football. She said his friends were shocked about what happened.

The friend said Dalton spent every other weekend with his father.

According to Johnson County District Court documents, Darren Gay and his former wife had been involved in a sometimes contentious domestic relations case since she filed for divorce in 2000. The records show that he was scheduled to appear in court Friday for failing to keep up with his $200 semimonthly child support payments.

Gay owed more than $5,800 in back child support, according to the documents. In another case, he was ordered in May to pay more than $3,300 for unpaid rent to a former apartment landlord.

According to documents in the domestic relations case, an attorney for Gay’s former wife alleged in a 2009 filing that he had been verbally abusive to his son on the telephone. The filing also alleged that the boy had to sleep on a couch or in the same bed with his father and his father’s girlfriend. That motion sought to restrict Gay’s visitation time with his son and designated that their meetings to exchange custody should occur in a police station parking lot.

http://www.theolathenews.com/2013/07/03/1997224/authorities-charge-14-year-old.html

Dad not such a nice guy, though he didn't deserve to die.

Dad not such a nice guy, though he didn't deserve to die.

True, what is scary to me is that this teen obviously felt it was the only way to put an end to what was happening :(

I hope we learn more , it seems that this had been going on for awhile...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article3147920.html

A Bonner Springs teenager who killed his father after what he described as years of abuse was sentenced Monday to five years and four months in a juvenile facility.

Dalton Gay, who turned 16 on Monday, was 14 when he shot Darren Gay to death in July 2013. If he commits any new crimes while under juvenile court supervision, he could face a 147-month adult prison sentence.

Gay read a statement Monday in which he took full responsibility. “I felt trapped and afraid,” he said. “I know I’ve done wrong and will make the best of whatever I get.”

He pleaded guilty Sept. 30 to second-degree murder.

OLATHE, Kan. — A Bonner Springs teenager who shot and killed his father in July of 2013 was sentenced to 64 months in a juvenile jail on Monday. The boy was 14 when he shot his dad 16 times outside a Shawnee auction house in July of 2013.
Snipped

He claimed he killed his father because he says that his father physically and sexually abused him for years. However, Gay’s brothers insist that’s not true. They say the victim was a loving dad, elementary school teacher and coach who would never hurt his son.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/10/20/bonner...s-in-juvenile-corrections-for-killing-father/

He was lucky.

All the best to this troubled kid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong