TX - Paddling students approved in Texas school district

I thought so too and had to look it up.

400px-Corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Blue = Corporal punishment in schools prohibited
Red = Corporal punishment not prohibited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States

Interesting map... when you really take a minute to look at it...

Interesting map... when you really take a minute to look at it...

I noticed that too. A lot of USA maps follow a similar pattern: poverty, education level attained, literacy, teen pregnancy, high school graduation rates.

A huge problem is that physical punishment can easily become a way for the parent to vent anger, which helps no one.

What the kid really needs is calm discussion about why the parent is displeased. A "teachable moment" handled well is a thousand times more effective than inflicting pain.

If physical punishment were culturally taboo, then abusive parents wouldn't be able to hide behind that concept as an excuse for their abuse. As it is now, kids who are being abused often aren't even aware that what's happening to them isn't okay. They think it's normal to be hit or slapped or otherwise hurt, because they understand that a lot of parents spank and that it's culturally acceptable.

I thought so too and had to look it up.

400px-Corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Blue = Corporal punishment in schools prohibited
Red = Corporal punishment not prohibited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States

I also thought it was abolished. It's abolished in the 3 states I've lived in...all very liberal states (CA, VT and WA).

I noticed that too. A lot of USA maps follow a similar pattern: poverty, education level attained, literacy, teen pregnancy, high school graduation rates.

Even though most of them are in the South or Midwest, I'm surprised that there are 4 on the West Coast--well, I should just say Colorado surprised me. The others, not really. I expected Alaska to have corporal punishment, for some reason.

Teachers who will have biases,especially against children of color should not be in a position to physically assault them. I hope no parents go along with this.

We all have a right to our own opinions. When i was in school in the 60's I remember what was called the rattan which was basically a bamboo whip across the hand.
And children were respectful and behaved. Today what we have is a bunch of out of control children killing each other, killing their parents, commiting suicide at 7 years old etc. No rules, no morals, no values. They rule the schools and they rule the teachers. THEY have control.
I no longer rely on statistics or studies on most things. Usually they end up years later saying ohhhh that's wrong.
And to the above poster that said this could get heated yes I thought the same thing so this will be my last post on this thread....lol

Science has proven, if you had not been beaten as a child, you would be smarter.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090924231749.htm

Everyone who posts on FB or says they are ok even though were spanked are people who are not ok. It is sad there is such a lack of self awareness.

Almost as though they never actually learned social skills and therefore can't teach social skills to their own.

That's why court ordered parenting classes are so important to abusers, many of them have never known of anything different.
It's been passed down in families and communities for generations.
Maybe if enough of them are educated through the courts, the ones that get it will pass it on to their friends and the children in their charge and it will catch on.

They poo poo years of studies to defend their own abuse, it takes a village a make that kind of change and those red states are still promoting, "spare the rod, spoil the child".

The red states with corporal punishment of their children also have a much higher rate of punishing disabled children. :(
IMG_6651.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-states-still-allow-corporal-punishment-2014-3

Then there's the Pearl method to "raise up a child".
I'm sure y'all know about them because of the dead children.

They say you should start hitting them at around 7 months, to train them.

You set them up by putting a toy just out of reach, when they reach for it, you "switch" them. (hit with a branch, caning)
They say this is how you "gun proof" them. You put a gun just out of reach...

They have a wife training book too.

Teachers who will have biases,especially against children of color should not be in a position to physically assault them. I hope no parents go along with this.

In the district my children grew up in (West Texas), the principal administered the "paddling." I signed a form at the beginning of the year denying permission to spank them. I don't know what would have happened if the administer felt they ever "needed" to be spanked as it never occurred...they were good kids, despite the fact they were never spanked at home. :shame:

In the district my children grew up in (West Texas), the principal administered the "paddling." I signed a form at the beginning of the year denying permission to spank them. I don't know what would have happened if the administer felt they ever "needed" to be spanked as it never occurred...they were good kids, despite the fact they were never spanked at home. :shame:

Exactly. Mine either. All productive adults with good jobs even through the Bush recession, They are raising unspanked great children.

One is a five year old. She made uplifting posters for the school and they let her put them up, Totally her own idea and they are in her five year old writing and spelling.,

"At least" they sent home a permission slip...ugh. I wonder how many parents permitted the principal to spank their kids.

I grew up in one of the spanking states. I remember there being some urban legend type stories about the principal and her paddle and she did have a paddle but it was like a joke and she'd pretend to spank kids on their birthdays sometimes. But she never actually used it for discipline that we knew of. Ugh I'm so glad! I was spanked at home a few times... Not as much as my siblings, as I'm the spoiled youngest. Anyway, I vividly remember the first and last spankings and both could have easily been great teaching moments instead.

MOO:

It seems to me that a lot of abuse is just a knee-jerk reaction of the parent when they're angry, even though it may have nothing to do with the child's behavior.

When the parent physically punishes the child, it's a release of their anger, which means it can actually start to feel good to the parent. So they do it again and again because, subconsciously, they know that release of rage feels good. Which can lead them to subconsciously come up with more and more spurious reasons to punish the child.

I can remember being physically punished for reasons that don't make any sense to me as an adult, looking back. (Of course, they didn't make sense when I was a kid, either.) Heck, some of the things I got punished for would probably have been rewarded by a saner parent.

A teachable moment requires the parent to be able to put a freeze on any anger they may have and instead calmly articulate the lesson they trying to impart to the child. There needs to be a societal expectation that talking about the lesson is the default first method of correction, followed by non-physical consequences that are assigned without anger.

Punishment stemming from anger is unhealthy for everyone involved.

MOO:

It seems to me that a lot of abuse is just a knee-jerk reaction of the parent when they're angry, even though it may have nothing to do with the child's behavior.

When the parent physically punishes the child, it's a release of their anger, which means it can actually start to feel good to the parent. So they do it again and again because, subconsciously, they know that release of rage feels good. Which can lead them to subconsciously come up with more and more spurious reasons to punish the child.

I can remember being physically punished for reasons that don't make any sense to me as an adult, looking back. (Of course, they didn't make sense when I was a kid, either.) Heck, some of the things I got punished for would probably have been rewarded by a saner parent.

A teachable moment requires the parent to be able to put a freeze on any anger they may have and instead calmly articulate the lesson they trying to impart to the child. There needs to be a societal expectation that talking about the lesson is the default first method of correction, followed by non-physical consequences that are assigned without anger.

Punishment stemming from anger is unhealthy for everyone involved.

Problem solving with the child. A sense of humor is needed by the adult. And people need to get rid of their ambesia about being a child.

Some people were raised in punitive homes and know no other way.

There should be training starting in junior high on child development as well as problem solving as an approach to issues.

But if a state believes in paddling, it sure isn't going to teach more mature ways of handling life.

I was paddled at school in Kindergarten! My parents didn't know about it, no note sent home, nothing. I was so mortified and ashamed that I didn't tell my mother until I was in college. Of course, my paddling happened in the early 70's, so who knows what the protocols were in Oklahoma at that time.

By the time my son started school, paddling was a thing of the past - none of the schools he attended used that form of discipline anymore.

I live in Texas and I only recently learned that our school district is one that allows for corporal punishment! I'm shocked by it because it's not talked about and we certainly don't get permission slips. The policy is buried in the student handbook, and states that we have to notify them in writing if we want our kids excluded from the policy. Pretty ridiculous and not the environment I want my kids in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
55ce14cc24dfd29d6bfdeca4e83b0f91.jpg

The Three Rivers School District will now let a principal or behavior coordinator paddle a misbehaving student with a parent’s permission.

A student could now receive a paddling for minor incidents, like breaking classroom rules.

The new paddling policy reverses a previous code that prohibited corporal punishment.

Three Rivers isn’t the only school district in Texas that allows corporal punishment. There are 26 independent districts that also allow it.

Corporal punishment in schools is still legal in 19 states, mostly in the Midwest, South and Southwest.

http://www.fox13memphis.com/news/tr...exas-school-district-under-new-rule/566471977

I don't like or agree with the "minor incidents".
In the 60's and 70's when I was in school, I witnessed out right child abuse and assault by out of control teachers and staff. I remember seeing male teachers, who paddled young girls, VERY obviously sexually excited while they 'punished' the students.
I have seen men teachers hit 6 foot tall and over, foot ball players, with 1 lick, with paddles made of 2" x 6", that knocked the boys off their feet and sent them flying. I have seen male teachers grab teen girls by the hair of their heads and drag them out of the class room into the hallway to 'spank' them.
When my own children started school, I did not allow any teachers to spank my kids. I made it very clear.
On top of that, so many teachers and staff, confuse the meanings and differences of two words:
Discipline
and
Punishment

The two words have different meanings. I was raised that punishment was a tool to be used to reinforce discipline.

In my opinion, Schools should not be allowed to physically punish students. Parents should be called in and they should do it in private if a student really needed to be punished.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back