8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least, Daniel lied about three major facts in this case, Diane's drinking, her use of drugs and where the bottle of vodka came from.

If Daniel is in a quest for the truth, I suggest he look to himself first. He knows the truth, but chooses to lie.

:sigh: People use the word "lie" much too carelessly, IMO.

Dan may have tried to defend his dead wife's reputation, but if he actually knew all you claim he knew, why has he spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to prove otherwise?

Something is bugging me about the cell phone calls:

Some reports claim that Diane received a phone call at 12:08 from an unidentified caller.

Other reports claim that at 12:08 the Hance's called Diane and had what has been described as a "normal" conversation with her.

Did Diane receive two phone calls, one after the other, at approximately 12:08?

If there was an unidentified call at 12:08, does Law Enforcement not know who the caller is, or are they purposely not releasing the name of the caller?

Why would the Hance's call back at 12:08? Diane had just spoken to Warren at 11:37 to say she was running late.

Could the unidentified caller be Daniel? At 12:08 he may have wondered why she wasn't home.

12:08 is an interesting point on the timeline because it is just before Diane entered the Ramapo and dry-heaved\vomited. 12:08 also coincides with witness reports of her tailgating, honking and changing lanes erratically.

Does anyone have a link to the police report? I've heard mention of it and would like to read it.

...The Sunoco video is interesting...To the Schulers, it appears she was sober...To me it looks like she had built up quite a tolerance.

Watching that again last night, I did find it odd how quickly she marched into the store, how she went to the section where they keep hot coffee, looked around briefly and then marched back out almost as fast.

That isn't where I would look for painkillers in a convenience store, but maybe the conversation she was having with the clerk influenced her movements.

She certainly moved fast, as if something were eating at her. (I thought I'd contribute my own metaphor to the discussion. ;))

Watching that again last night, I did find it odd how quickly she marched into the store, how she went to the section where they keep hot coffee, looked around briefly and then marched back out almost as fast.

That isn't where I would look for painkillers in a convenience store, but maybe the conversation she was having with the clerk influenced her movements.

She certainly moved fast, as if something were eating at her. (I thought I'd contribute my own metaphor to the discussion. ;))

Yep, I noticed that too. She walked directly toward the hot coffee, then made a sudden stop and turn. Her movements were very deliberate, as if she suddenly thought of or heard something. She did not shop or browse.

Notice her body language as she approaches and questions the clerk.

- when she enters at the 9 sec. mark, she turns her head away from the clerk and maintains that sharp head angle until she nears the center of the store.

- after turning away from the hot coffee, she immediately begins fidgeting with her hair, putting her right arm between herself and the clerk for at least ten seconds, the entire length of their interaction.

- As she speaks, she stands so far away from the clerk that we never see him in the camera frame.

Just IMO, she's putting up barriers and keeping her distance.

Yep, I noticed that too. She walked directly toward the hot coffee, then made a sudden stop and turn. Her movements were very deliberate, as if she suddenly thought of or heard something. She did not shop or browse.

I would assume she was moving quickly because the kids were in the van. What is your interpretation?

I would assume she was moving quickly because the kids were in the van. What is your interpretation?

Straight line in, abrupt turn, straight line out. Very deliberate. She never veered into an aisle to find aspirin, painkillers, or anything. Whatever she wanted, she wanted it quickly. Combine that with the way she pulled out of the gas station on the wrong side, barely pausing for traffic (children are not alone now), and I see a woman who is feeling hurried and anxious even though the trip has just begun.

IMO

Straight line in, abrupt turn, straight line out. Very deliberate. She never veered into an aisle to find aspirin, painkillers, or anything. Whatever she wanted, she wanted it quickly. Combine that with the way she pulled out of the gas station on the wrong side, barely pausing for traffic (children are not alone now), and I see a woman who is feeling hurried and anxious even though the trip has just begun.

IMO

I agree. I don't know whether that was just her usual m.o. (Her best friend says she was always the first parent at school every morning. Diane must have moved quickly to accomplish everything she did everyday.) Or whether there was a reason why she was particular impatient that Sunday.

I would just like to point out that the results of the toxicology tests that were conducted at autopsy have absolutely no bearing on Diane's drinking habits prior to her death.

No, of course not...but there was the sister-in-law quoted as saying she was a heavy drinker and the friend in one of the early articles who said she was a regular after work drinker....and then there was the giant vodka bottle in the car...so I think it's a logical conclusion, albeit lacking conclusive proof.

IMO

It's interesting. If she was there for painkillers, why did she leave with nothing? Don't all convenience stores carry them? Unless they didn't have the specific brand she wanted. IDK. I haven't bought such an item at a convenience store for years - if ever, so I don't know what type of selection they have. I know some folks who will ONLY use Exedrine. Is that available at a convenience store?

Even so, I personally don't necessarily consider her hurried state to be a sign of being drunk or high. But maybe that's just me!

I have never "gone after" the Hances. What I've said is let's stop "going after" Dan Schuler.

You said they were acting out. That is something they have never done. Their interviews are quite polite. A countersuit is not acting out.

No, of course not...but there was the sister-in-law quoted as saying she was a heavy drinker and the friend in one of the early articles who said she was a regular after work drinker....and then there was the giant vodka bottle in the car...so I think it's a logical conclusion, albeit lacking conclusive proof.

Lacking conclusive proof, I don't find it to be either a logical conclusion nor important to the case. It's really neither here nor there. IMO. It's pointless to draw any conclusion as to Diane's regular drinking habits. Speculation or otherwise. Anyone who may have associated with Diane in purely social situations where drinking was common could easily have come to the conclusion that she was a "heavy drinker." If they didn't see her or interact with her regularly, it's still just an assumption.

As far as the one friend who claimed she regularly drank "after work" goes.....it really doesn't sound to me she had time for that.

In any case, Daniel wasn't there.

It's interesting. If she was there for painkillers, why did she leave with nothing? Don't all convenience stores carry them? Unless they didn't have the specific brand she wanted. IDK. I haven't bought such an item at a convenience store for years - if ever, so I don't know what type of selection they have. I know some folks who will ONLY use Exedrine. Is that available at a convenience store?

Even so, I personally don't necessarily consider her hurried state to be a sign of being drunk or high. But maybe that's just me!

Oh I agree! I don't think she was drunk or high at this point. I think she may have been agitated about having to make a long trip with 5 children -- especially if she was already feeling nauseated. She seemed like a woman who dealt with stress in a business-like, push-onward way. I think that's what we see in the video.

You have me, at least, at a disadvantage, because I haven't seen any quotes saying Diane was a heavy drinker. (This isn't to say I don't believe you. I do.)

I would just like to point out that the results of the toxicology tests that were conducted at autopsy have absolutely no bearing on Diane's drinking habits prior to her death. The fact that she was drinking while driving with five children in the vehicle that day makes it easy, from outside her circle, to assume she was an alcoholic. However, it really is nothing more than an assumption.

Of course, that does nothing to change the outcome of this horrific tragedy. But I can understand Daniel's desire to defend Diane's character if people continue paint her as a horrible person who habitually made poor decisions. And even if it was true, he very well may not have known. Working opposite shifts gave her a lot of freedom to drink secretly.

Point is, I don't believe Daniel has intentionally lied about Diane's drinking. I don't think anyone, regardless of how they feel about Daniel, believes he forcibly poured the vodka down her throat at the campsite then loaded her and the babies up in the van and sent them on their way. Though the level of hatred some seem to have for the man makes it seem that way sometimes. IMHO.

Of course the toxicology results from that day have nothing to do with how much she drank before that day... however, one does not just decide one day to down 10+ shots of Vodka while driving five children home in a minivan. We have varying reports of Dianne from a person who "only has a pina colada once in a while to someone who goes to bars on the way home from work and is a heavy drinker." Who knows what to believe! I absolutely do not believe Daniel forced the Vodka down her throat that day... however... I do believe Daniel knew more than he is willing to admit. As hard as closet drinkers try to hide it, it's not that difficult to figure it out. Did he turn a blind eye for days, weeks, months, years? He was happy and why not? He had a wife earning 6 figures, keeping up the house, doing much of everything for the kids and for him... why complain? If she needed a sneaky pete to get her through the day, it's worth it because everything was handled. Trust me, my friend Michelle's husband was the same way... still is. He refuses to admit there is a problem and I continually take the kids. Same thing with my sister... she functioned great until she took it too far and passed out and forgot to pick up her kids. Alcohol abuse is rampant among moms trying to do everything these days and IMO Dianne was no different. The only difference is she took the lives of 7 innocent people with her when everything came crashing down.

You said they were acting out. That is something they have never done. Their interviews are quite polite. A countersuit is not acting out.

I don't remember the context of that post, tm. If I used that phrase, I almost certainly meant it in the psychological sense, not in the sense that we say a child "acts out." I'm sure I meant the phrase as in this Wiki definition:

"Acting out painful feelings may be contrasted with expressing them in ways more helpful to the sufferer...."

It's something we all do from time to time.

But I also must admit that in rewatching the doc last night I realized that I was confusing the comments of the Bastardis with those of the Hances at times. So it's possible that whatever I said about the Hances was an error. I'm a little clearer now as to who is who.

In general, I have no significant criticisms of any of the survivors, Schuler, Hance or Bastardi. I'm sorry they will all end up in court together, but that was probably inevitable.

I still maintain, however, that they should be judged by the same standards as grievers. The hatred directed at Dan Schuler strikes me as highly inappropriate (talk about "acting out"!), particularly from people who have never lost a spouse and child.

But why didn't she take the children inside the store with her? I have 5 kids and I never left them in the car alone, no matter how inconvenient to me (snow, hot, etc...) The video appears to look like she begins fueling the van, goes into the store, and then finishes putting the gas nuzzle away after coming out of the store... would you leave 5 kids inside a van that you were fueling?! Never in your right mind! Too much can go wrong! IMO her actions in the video show me someone who is coming in checking out what is for sale BEHIND the clerk... which here is liquor, cigarettes, cigars, etc... Advil, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc... is usually on the first aisle when you walk into a convenience store, or sold right at the counter. I have never seen a convenience store at a gas station not sell at the very least aspirin. These days you can even get allergy meds there. I think she was looking for liquor and was told it wasn't sold on Sundays MOO.

Of course the toxicology results from that day have nothing to do with how much she drank before that day... however, one does not just decide one day to down 10+ shots of Vodka while driving five children home in a minivan.

We really don't know. Isn't it possible that if she was self-medicating due to a toothache she drank waaaaaaaaaaay more than her body was used to?

We have varying reports of Dianne from a person who "only has a pina colada once in a while to someone who goes to bars on the way home from work and is a heavy drinker."

Yes. Varying reports from people who were not truly with Diane all the time.

Who knows what to believe!

I don't know what to believe! But the bottom line is....the woman is DEAD. What more can reasonably be wrought from her? Who else is responsible for what happened that day???

I absolutely do not believe Daniel forced the Vodka down her throat that day... however... I do believe Daniel knew more than he is willing to admit.

I don't. But what if he did? Is HE the one responsible for what happened? No. He lost his wife and daughter that day.

As hard as closet drinkers try to hide it, it's not that difficult to figure it out. Did he turn a blind eye for days, weeks, months, years? He was happy and why not? He had a wife earning 6 figures, keeping up the house, doing much of everything for the kids and for him... why complain? If she needed a sneaky pete to get her through the day, it's worth it because everything was handled. Trust me, my friend Michelle's husband was the same way... still is. He refuses to admit there is a problem and I continually take the kids. Same thing with my sister... she functioned great until she took it too far and passed out and forgot to pick up her kids. Alcohol abuse is rampant among moms trying to do everything these days and IMO Dianne was no different. The only difference is she took the lives of 7 innocent people with her when everything came crashing down.

For people who are not looking, I think it is hard to figure out. Daniel had it all with Diane taking care of everything. Why would he look for a reason to destroy it?

That said. I really don't think he knew or even suspected. Diane was holding it all together until that fateful day. IF, and that's a big IF, she truly was an alcoholic, I truly don't think Daniel had any idea. And even so, HE was not behind the wheel that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff