Ben Perkins Jr.

Claire,
Just wondering, Ben Perkins has passed away, why would this mean all his records wouldn't be available? I know, sounds simple, he's not with us anymore therefore, boom, they all got shredded.
I was wondering if perhaps he has a partner in his firm? Hoping the records are not destroyed, has someone checked into that?

Sidekick, I should have expanded on my comment. What I really meant to say is that the records would be very hard to obtain, complicated by his death and the fact that he was suspended in 1988 and disbarred in 1989. Any other "information" that he had related to FLEK, things not in the official records, would have died with him.

Sidekick, I should have expanded on my comment. What I really meant to say is that the records would be very hard to obtain, complicated by his death and the fact that he was suspended in 1988 and disbarred in 1989. Any other "information" that he had related to FLEK, things not in the official records, would have died with him.

Interesting connection to a dishonest lawyer! I wonder what he was up to during that time period of FLEK's ID change. Seems probable that he was the person that helped her do it--who knows. I wonder if he has any family members that could shed some light on his life.

Interesting connection to a dishonest lawyer! I wonder what he was up to during that time period of FLEK's ID change. Seems probable that he was the person that helped her do it--who knows. I wonder if he has any family members that could shed some light on his life.

To be fair, we don't know if he was a "dishonest" lawyer. We also do not know what kind of law he practiced prior to being disbarred or why he was disbarred. It would be great if somebody had the knowledge/resources to research this information.

It's more likely that she was trying to find him for information related to something regarding her true identity. I don't think he was involved in her identity change.

Not much evidence that he was the person who helped her change her identity. Substantial evidence that she was interested in tracking him down.

I think, from the evidence, that "incompetent lawyer" might describe him better than "dishonest lawyer".

the lawyer Jennifer Perkins stated she did not know FLEK. She actually thought the "person" who may or may have not emailed her was an old friend, so I believe she was telling the truth. I bet my $$ that Jennifer Perkins is related to Ben Perkins somehow and Jackson is a reference for Jackson MS. I believe Perkins taught law there after he was disbarred. I am looking for proof of that now.

There is a Jennifer Perkins that has been a lawyer in Texas since 1986. She specializes in family law now, but from 1985-1993 she worked for the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office. Her web page says, “Jennifer Perkins has devoted her career to supporting and assisting families through the legal system. As a prosecutor for 7 years, Jennifer was instrumental in the formation of the family violence section of the Dallas County District Attorneys Office. As an Assistant District Attorney Jennifer handled child welfare cases, juvenile criminal cases, in addition to her work with victims of domestic violence.”

I looked at the obit for Ben Perkins, it did not list a Jennifer Perkins as a surviving relative.
http://www.vicksburgpost.com/site/rss/article_f4a85bce-83c6-11e2-a554-001a4bcf6878.html

Looking on LinkedIn, there are several of Jennifer Perkins in Dallas/Ft Worth. Another interesting one with no dates or further information is a Jenny Perkin’s who is listed as a “Telecommunications Expert”

Is it just another weird coincidence that there would be two lawyers with the last name of Perkins on this list?

Was just looking at some linkedin info- interesting to me Jennifer is a Dallasite- Grad from Southern Methodist- but the most interesting thing is 1985-1993 she was working for the ADA but then it lists 2007-2013 with her own practice. I'm wondering where she was from 1993-2007? That could hold some beneficial answers about the connection they may have to FLEK. I need to go back and look at some dates but this has me thinking of perhaps some high profile reason we can't find a previous identity to BST.

Also I found an address for her old practice. It being at Royal and Preston Area in Dallas, I know it has been off bus for a long time. The building it was in is a 3-4 story building that has many different offices belonging to different types of practices. I had a family member who worked in the same building in 2007-2008.

I spoke to her. She did not know FLEK by photo or name

Food for thought... What if the name JENNIFER PERKINS was an alias used by FLEK when she first came to dallas? ( hence 214 next to name )

Has anyone ever tried to look for the bankruptcy cases Ben Perkins filed in CA in the 80s for any clues? I'm not sure what is required to search, but it appears BKs are public records.

http://www.uscourts.gov/CourtRecords.aspx

I just checked this out. You have to jump through hoops to make an account, only to find out that it's not free! And THEN, by the time you've learned this information they inform you that they're mailing something to your house!! I entered a fake address because I'm wary of putting my information into websites these days, and now I'm afraid my information is about to be put in the mail to some stranger! Poor FLEK would be having a heart attack right about now if this happened to her.

This is kind of out of left field and a random observation, but it bothers me that Perkins is written above the rest of this info and not after Ben Jr. I know everyone has speculated that she was writing on the phone or trying to jog her memory for something but what if Perkins is a place and not a name? I was recently looking at the address on FLEK's BST Idaho license. Go to the address on Google maps (7101 El Caballo Boise, ID), zoom out a little and follow N. Cole Street South just below HWY 184 at the corner of S. Cole and W. Franklin Rd. There is an area marked Perkins right there. Coincidence? I can't seem to find anything else about the Perkins area of Boise, ID. What if this was written in 1987-88 when she was attempting to find info to obtain her new identity and she was in the Perkins area of Boise ID? Could there be another Ben Jr that worked at that CA law firm address? Or a Ben Jr from Perkins area in Idaho told her to call that law office and that number and she got the address when she called?

Just an observation I hadn't seen thrown out yet. I keep going back to the fact she HAD to be in Idaho for however short of a time in 1988 to get her license--where did she stay, how did she get around, even if only for a few days or weeks?

And another Perkins observation in a completely different direction--Perkins Loans were federal loans in the 1990's. We know she filed for bankruptcy due to student loans. What if she was calling the law office about her student loans or to get records in relation to her loans?

Perkins is also the name of a restaurant, there are a few in Boise. Perhaps she was meeting some one named Ben Jr. at Perkins? It's kind of a breakfast/diner place, open 24 hours. If I were meeting someone random at an odd hour it would be a good meeting place. Quiet, anonymous, yet public and safe.
*I am almost 100% positive there was at least one Perkins diner in Boise in 1988. I live in a smaller city in Idaho & we have had a Perkins since the early 90's. We trend about 5-7 years behind Boise, so if we had one, they certainly had one.

http://www.perkinsrestaurants.com/company

And could that be a Perkins uniform in her Idaho id?

And could that be a Perkins uniform in her Idaho id?

I've done a quick Google search for old advertisements for Perkins (I'm in Australia so I'm not familiar with the chain). I can't find anything with anyone wearing a uniform from the 80's but the colours and stripes could certainly match with the look and colour of the restaurant.

Would definitely be interested to see if anyone knew what the uniform was the staff wore back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what a search for "Perkins Waitress 1988" brought up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/earthdog/6031484434

Doesn't look anything like the shirt she is wearing. I wanted it to be a Perkins uniform too because it would at least give a lead of where she worked while in Idaho. Unfortunately striped shirts like that were just a popular style back then.

Oh thanks Gardener1850. I thought HerStory may have been onto something there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found another possible Perkins connection today. There is a SMU Perkins School of Theology in Dallas, TX. Don't know if it is related but something to consider. http://www.smu.edu/perkins

After reading up on this case a lot more, I'm convinced the Ben Perkins on the sheet is the Lawyer from Inglewood. Here is one of his cases from 1986: http://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/187/1494.html
I thought the number of delay tactics used in that case was interesting and it reminded me of how much FLEK fought her 1997 bankruptcy case. I wonder if she got a lawyer in Dallas recommended by Perkins? I don't know much about bankruptcy cases though and how common it is to appeal and fight the rulings multiple times as FLEK did.

ETA: I posted this in the main thread:

Reading through that case above and how many delay tactics the clients attempted I'm reminded of FLEK's own bankruptcy case in 1997. Here's an except:

"This court has made clear in the past that it will not condone the actions of litigants to misuse this court's process solely for the purpose of delay. (See Hersch v. Citizens Savings & Loan Assn. (1983) 146 Cal. App. 3d 1002 [194 Cal. Rptr. 628].) The Blacks' efforts to manipulate and abuse the processes of this and other courts are manifest in this case.

The Blacks engaged in a series of procedural maneuvers, in both the Los Angeles Superior Court and the federal court, designed to stay the effect of a judgment to which they had stipulated. By the time the matter reached this court, the superior court had twice rejected the Blacks' claims that Coast had breached the agreement of sale. One of these rulings was made after the Blacks' then-attorney, Mr. Perkins, admitted that he had advised the Blacks to sign the escrow instructions as prepared by Coast. Further, the Blacks had made four different requests for a stay of execution of the judgment, and had been turned down by the superior court each time. After their last request was denied, they filed a petition for extraordinary relief which misstated the facts of the case in a manner designed to evoke the sympathies of this court and delay the inevitable even further by procuring a temporary stay. Once the petition was denied and Coast was finally successful in evicting the Blacks from the property, the Blacks apparently abandoned their appeal of the stipulated judgment, having failed to perfect the appeal in the manner set forth in the California Rules of Court. All of these facts demonstrate that the Blacks' petition for writ of supersedeas was simply another one of their continuing efforts to delay the proceedings and prevent Coast from obtaining possession of the subject property."

BBM. IIRC, FLEK also fought and delayed the case as much as possible. I don't know anything about bankruptcy. Does anyone know if these types of procedures are common? I also wonder if there is any connection between the attorney FLEK used in 1997 and Ben Perkins, Jr.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back