Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

We're in Clarksville TN in the 99% coverage zone and my 7 and 17 year old are so excited. My son (17) will be videotaping our animals reactions for research and both kids are out of school that day. We're having an eclipse block party and our town is expecting a ton of ppl and traffic. It's so exciting to me

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

We're in Clarksville TN in the 99% coverage zone and my 7 and 17 year old are so excited. My son (17) will be videotaping our animals reactions for research and both kids are out of school that day. We're having an eclipse block party and our town is expecting a ton of ppl and traffic. It's so exciting to me

No traveling in gridlock for us, thank you! :eek: We're in southern Oregon in a 93% zone and will be watching the eclipse from our deck. We managed to scrounge one pair of eclipse glasses before they ran out locally, so we will share.

The big potential problem for us is smoke from nearby forest fires. It was heavy today, obscuring our view of Mt. Ashland, eight miles across the valley as the crow flies. We could see the red "smoke sun" but it's hard to know how the smoke will affect our eclipse viewing. I'm more concerned about the fires and breathing smoke than about not being able to see the eclipse. We can always watch a live stream even though it's not as neat an experience.

Stay safe all you travelers! Enjoy the show wherever you are. :seeya:

I'm in the path of totality. Have the day off. Hoping the clouds and wildfire smoke blows away. Rather annoyed with the Y2k type hype around here, though. I've been jokingly referring to it as the eclipsolypse.

I live just a wee bit north of Salem, OR and we'll get 98%. Taking the morning off from work to watch it from home, as long as the clouds cooperate. Near the Columbia river, we frequently have morning overcast that doesn't burn off until noon. Hoping for clear skies like this morning.

ETA Some friends are at the Symbiosis festival in the Ochoco Forest in Central/Eastern Oregon. They are volunteering so they left on Tuesday, long before the 30 mile backups on Highway 26 that made the news on Thursday.

ETA #2 (lol) Just found my kiln glasses (not quite as dark as welding glasses) and wearing them over a super dark pair of sunglasses, the phone flashlight test looked fine.

Oregon is insanely busy with pre eclipse visitors. Over 17,000 rental cars to be returned to PDX Monday_Tuesday....yikes!

97% area. Will be watching for shadow bands and listening for night sounds during the day on my front porch. ( crickets & frogs)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I will be on a lawn chair in my back yard, gazing up into the sky for hours,

no sun glasses, protection is for the weak!!

According to the link above, I will get partial solar eclipse at 71.62% . I'll be at work and will walk out to the 15th floor patio balcony. It looks like a clear day tomorrow in the NYC area, so we will see!

We will just watch from the backyard. We are in the 75% range. I got glasses for us, but I can't see a darn thing through them now....I hope they are not duds! I'm not suppose to do anything to them first, am I ?

http://www.popsci.com/fake-solar-eclipse-glasses#page-2

But if you're just looking to double check glasses that are meant to be safe, put them on and make sure you can't see any light that's not as bright as the sun. Your smartphone LED flashlight will do the trick. For starters, pop your glasses on and look around. Can you see anything? If so, they're bogus.

If you're still very much in the dark, move on to testing with an LED flashlight. I turned my phone's flashlight on full blast and sheepishly angled it towards my (lens-protected) eyes. All I could see were a couple of dim little dots, even when I brought the light right up against my glasses. I was so impressed that I took the glasses off to compare just how bright the light was without a filter. Do not do this, as it negates the entire purpose of this article.

We can't recommend that you use anything but certified glasses from a reputable seller. But if you can shine an LED in your face and barely see a single pinprick of dim light, your glasses are probable ready to handle an eclipse.

My boyfriend and I are currently making our way from Spokane, Wa to Lime, Or. We decided to take off Friday evening and make a fun weekend of it. We stayed in the Tri-Cities, Wa area Friday night, are in Pendleton, Or now and heading to Lime, Oregon to enjoy the totality. Should be in pretty good shape as he bought the glasses for us and brought binoculars as well. Luckily we shouldn't have to deal with the traffic jams & fuel shortages those traveling via Madras, Or are having to deal with! What a mess!

ECLIPSE 2017

On Monday, Aug. 21, a total solar eclipse will be visible from a narrow strip of land that stretches all the way across the U.S., from Oregon to South Carolina. It will be the first total solar eclipse since 1918 to cross the nation from coast to coast...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eclipse-2017

Hey Blondie, glad you are en route to totality!

As of last night, Madras is still waiting for the hordes. http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/madras_still_waiting_for_solar.html#incart_maj-story-1

The small Central Oregon town is considered one of the best places in the U.S. to see the big eclipse, thanks to favorable weather, and in all the town expects to see an influx of up to 100,000 outsiders, choking highways, filling makeshift campgrounds and flooding local businesses.

But as Saturday rolled around, and traffic trickled through, many locals felt let down by the pre-eclipse hype.

"I'm wondering where all the traffic is," said Ashlyn Etter, who was selling solar eclipse merchandise in a lot near downtown Madras. "It just means we're going to have to hustle the last few days," and drop prices come Monday.

more at link

My friends at Symbiosis live between Prineville and Redmond. Before they decided to go to the festival, the plan was to hold our annual luau this weekend and invite guests to camp on their land to see the eclipse on Monday. I didn't want to deal with four Siberian Huskies on my own (their two and my two), otherwise I would be there petsitting for them right now. :boohoo::boohoo:

[video=youtube;0QOLPHHDGj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOLPHHDGj8[/video]

I want to do it but don't understand why! We already know what it is gonna like !!

but I am making my little cereal box !!

[video=youtube;0QOLPHHDGj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOLPHHDGj8[/video]

I want to do it but don't understand why! We already know what it is gonna like !!

but I am making my little cereal box !!

Dearest CARIIS...if you do this neat experiment please post it here with your commentary! I would love to see how it works out!

I saw someone doing an experiment to see the eclipse using a funnel and a cardboard box....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back