Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note , I had no idea when I read that first news article on Oct 7 how quickly this tragedy would wrap itself around my head . I know I am not alone in that regard , so many of you have clearly been down this road many times . I didn't know I was capable of so many tears . Prayers are heard , but answered in His time , just trying to be patient .
I know what you mean. I am fairly new here. Recently I have found that even when I am not online Sherin has filled my thoughts. I needed to walk away from the thread this morning. I went outside to water the veggies hoping to refresh myself, Sherin was there too. Kids love watching plants grow. Even the little ones. All I could think were sooooo many couples out there that would have jumped at the chance to love her and protect her. Heartbreaking. :cry:

Caregiver of Indian girl found dead in Texas wants answers

The child was already eating solid food and drinking milk from a cup when she left the orphanage, Kumari remembers. She said Sherin squinted in one eye, but otherwise had nothing wrong with her when Mathews and his wife Sini Mathews adopted her in June 2016.

"Why did they have to make her eat or drink anything at that hour? Why was he forcing her?" Kumari asked. "If someone is forcing a drink into the mouth of someone who is crying and sobbing, then even an adult can choke."

http://abcnews.go.com/International...oddler-found-dead-texas-seeks-answer-50755143
I had read this somewhere, back when it was the parents were talking about her being undernourished and having speech and vision issues .. Her former caregiver said she was small but ate well, and probably had to learn the language here. As for her eyes, one is a bit smaller than the other, is the only problem, but it was enough to get her listed on a special type of list, as they feared it would cause her to be ovwelooked.. Im going on memory but I believe the caretaker about Sherin"s eye, b/c a friend of ours adopted an unadoptable a baby from Korea, and the reason she was passed over was because she had a "port wine" type of birthmark covering a portion of her back. Sherin"s parents also changed her name.. My grandchild's parents have adopted and you can legally change the children's first name. How confusing would that be for a child? Such a happy looking little girl and she never had a chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Father Thomas is not associated with the family's church IIRC. By all appearances he is someone who has inserted himself into the saga and has been declaring since the beginning that Sini knows what happened and refuses to tell.
It is interesting to see that self styled "Community Leaders" are stirring the pot. According to this link http://www.fwepiscopal.org/churches/congregations.html Thomas Ambalavelil is an assisting priest associated with St. Matthias’ Anglican Church. Since the Mathews' are said to belong to Kerala Brethren (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala_Brethren) it is more than interesting to see someone associated with the local Anglican church working hard to paint this family in a bad light.
As noted in other posts, even though Fr. Thomas managed to get quoted by the news media in the US and India he is demonstrably a source of information of value less than cow manure. He is the one who claimed that WM is holed up in the house with secret food deliveries from outside :happydance:

But as a member of the US Indian community from Kerala, I know that sadly this is par for the course !!

Some feel like hes trying to get his 5 min of fame. :discuss:
Others thinks hes taking the lead for a tribute to Sherin and no one else is.

That was my thought. I can’t decided if I am suspicious or angry that he seems to be using her death to his advantage. He was the one who stated in an interview that her body had been placed in a freezer. The ‘journalist’ who interviewed him later notated it was only his theory and not fact. I just get a bad vibe from the whole thing.

My mother actually took my brother to the doctor when he was like three or four because he hadn't eaten in several days. He was a small child with asthma and allergies so she was worried about him. The doctor told her that when he got hungry enough he would eat-and he did. He continued to go through periods like this throughout his childhood and every time the doctor said the same thing and also said that the bigger deal she made of it the worse it would be. One day it just stopped. Of course, this was in the 70's.

My mom had this issue with me and was told the same thing 80s, I never did eat when I got hungry enough unless it was what I wanted. I would go so long that they had to offer me why I asked for... Now as an adult I'm extremely picky but know that it's texture and food phobias etc... Like when I see rice, I think maggots, so I refuse to eat it even though I've never had bugs in my food... I won't eat greens because I remember bugs on them in the garden as a child... It's very weird, very much psychological and sucks, but I just can't bring myself to do it... It's also become a control thing after being in an abusive relationship.... In 2007 I went an entire year eating one bagel with cream cheese a week and a pb sandwich everynight... I only started to eat to my version of normal when I ended up in hospital because my blood pressure was so low from malnutrition... It wasn't the lack of foods I liked, it was simply control and even punishing myself... The movie FEED actually made me realize how much my food issues have to do with control, on top of the ones having to do with texture and odd phobias... I ate normally until I was about 3, which is when my mom had my brother... Then over a period of several months I cut back more and more and would starve myself indefinitely until it was something I wanted...I had a normal childhood etc but back then the paediatrician didn't know about texture issues and that sort of thing like they do now.... I can and do cook all the foods for my kids, but just can't bring myself to eat them... So if Sherin is anything like me, she easily could have just but that I'm not eating phase and with the added pressure of adoption and being watched her parents may have gone about it in a dangerous way in an effort to do what was right...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is interesting to see that self styled "Community Leaders" are stirring the pot. According to this link http://www.fwepiscopal.org/churches/congregations.html Thomas Ambalavelil is an assisting priest associated with St. Matthias’ Anglican Church. Since the Mathews' are said to belong to Kerala Brethren (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala_Brethren) it is more than interesting to see someone associated with the local Anglican church working hard to paint this family in a bad light.
As noted in other posts, even though Fr. Thomas managed to get quoted by the news media in the US and India he is demonstrably a source of information of value less than cow manure. He is the one who claimed that WM is holed up in the house with secret food deliveries from outside :happydance:

But as a member of the US Indian community from Kerala, I know that sadly this is par for the course !!

Welcome to Websleuths Angorwat, however I must comment in relation to your criticism of a local religious leader. Cow patties are best left with the water buffalo in India, IMO.

It is like the prior caregivers of Sherin know its a bald face lie about her having to be forced to drink her milk.

So, IMOO, she had no problems drinking any fluids, and I dont think she had any problems eating either. Although petite she was very filled out overall.

I think the entire 'she didn't want to drink her milk' is another lie to cover up what was actually being done to Sherin. Imo, she wasn't in that garage being forced to drink her milk. He had her there because it would be out of range for anyone to hear or see what was really happening to Sherin.

JMO
I really hate to arrive at that conclusion but I'm leaning more that way. The only thing that has stayed constant has been drinking milk. He added that he had to assist her, b/c, to me, this is going to help him try and explain away any injuries they may find as a result of him having to force feed her. She's doing great at the orphanage, but stops eating at her new home... makes you wonder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1. We don't know what Sherin's family may be planning, and given some of the sentiment that has been aimed at Sini and the family's church, there would be good reason not to make any plans public.
2. The body may very well not be available for any final disposition so long as the ME is carrying out the autopsy.
3. I have a hard time seeing any kindness in the implicit suggestion that none of the people in Sherin's life for several years are caring or involved in mourning her.

As I said earlier, if he wants to organize a community tribute or memorial service, nothing is stopping him. He doesn't need anyone's permission and he certainly does not need her body. In fact, in the absence of any actual knowledge of the extended family's plans or wishes, his focus on claiming the body for the community just strikes me as creepy.

I wasn't implying that Sherin's family didn't care or mourn for her and aren't planning her funeral. I merely said that IF her family doesn't plan her funeral (I imagine they are) then it is nice to know that there is somebody in the community who will. I am not saying that I agree with Father Thomas petition.

I'm led to believe that a lot of eating disorders stem from a sense of a lack of control. So you take tight control of something over which you do have ultimate control - like eating or indeed talking.
I have known two children who were selectively mute. (I think it's called that)

"She likes to eat food outside but not at home"

Could it have been as simple as she didn’t like the type of food being prepared at home or the way it was prepared?

I am not an authority on Indian cuisine but most of what I have experienced has been very spicy and a lot of curry (which is not my favorite spice). When my oldest was little I was convinced that she did not like spaghetti. Then I found out when she went to a restaurant without me she ordered spaghetti. I was dumbfounded. I had always packer her a lunch for school when they had spaghetti again because she wouldn’t eat it at home. Then one morning she asked for lunch money and said I was packing her lunch because it was spaghetti day. She replied that she loved spaghetti she just didn’t like mine. When I asked why she said that I didn’t make it right. Mine wasn’t brown and it wall all lumpy. Brown spaghetti sauce? After that little pang of hurt feelings went away I began to giggle. You see I made spaghetti sauce from scratch with all the garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and spices. What she wanted was brown bland nearly meatless meat sauce. In the future I put some of my sauce in the food processor or blender for her and she began to enjoy my red sauce too. LOL Sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest answers.

Father Thomas is not associated with the family's church IIRC. By all appearances he is someone who has inserted himself into the saga and has been declaring since the beginning that Sini knows what happened and refuses to tell.

As re: his current online petition (which probably has the legal equivalence of an opinion poll), there are two issues I see. One is that anyone can hold a memorial service for anyone. That requires no authority or permission whatsoever. Apparently one has already been held in India (saw a pic in one of the Indian news articles). Possession/burial of the body, however, is a different matter, and I cannot see how he, regardless how many online signatures he amasses would have any standing whatsoever. Not to mention the remains are not likely to be released prior to the completion of the autopsy. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

IMO there appear to have been a good many people lovingly involved in Sherin's life beyond her parents. If there is some determination to disallow her mother from making arrangements, I would sincerely hope that her own church/pastor and extended family would be allowed to take the lead.

Agree, father Tomas imo is actually a danger to this case. He has stated horrendous things as fact and it's even made me wonder if he has something to do with Sherins passing as he claims to "know" so many "details".

He showed up in the first days claiming to want to offer a shoulder for the parents but IMO has shown that he just wanted to persecute them... I've never seen a priest so out of line with the media and sharing their theories as fact.

Then this petition to have the body released to the community over her family and to have a burial seems beyond cruel.... I can't even...

A priest IMO should be encouraging the truth, praying the truth comes out, and actively wanting what's best for the family. Unfortunately, this isn't what he is portraying and it's reminded me once again of how church leaders can abuse their positions in a community.

Long story short, please don't trust what father Tomas is saying or doing, it seems to be from an angry place and not from a faithful one or one of love.

I don't know who this Father Thomas is (or thinks he is,) but he weirds me out. Thinking you can actually retain custody...for lack of better words...of a deceased child with signatures, is beyond bizarre. I honestly think he is just an eccentric dude who found that people will listen to him and he's making it up as he goes. Not credible, and maybe a few cards short of a deck.

Where I think most mamas often fall into the category of chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese because we know it's just a phase and offering our child anything they will eat is better than them starving or trying to "break" them....

Poor Sherin....

Absolutely agree. I just think we sometimes get stuck in expectations, habits and patterns and continue them, while in other settings the kids move forward.

I remember in 2nd grade when my teacher told the class she thought we were all too old to be sleeping with our dollies. Really? I had always slept with mine. But that night I felt obligated to gently break the news to my parents. When we started to get ready for bed and they looked around for the two special ones I had always slept with, I told them, it's OK. Surprise to them. They had actually kept a spare pair around in case one of the two got lost. Of course, once they did get lost (when I was much younger), in the house--I put them in a cupboard while playing and forgot.The extras were simply not the same. Needed to have the ones with the fuzzy all worn off!

A little Geography map from a reliable source. I've circled the relevant areas. Asia is Asia when it comes to form filling, however there are sub-groups.

WM was born in the Arabian state of Qatar = Asia: middle east
SM was born in the Arabian state of UAE (United Arab Emirates) = Asia: middle east
India = South-East Asia
Russia east of the 60 degree line = North Asia.

Untitled 2.png

Both WM and SM are classified as ethnic Indian.

I posted on this in the last thread, regarding eating issues and adopted children. It is common for adopted children to have struggles with either eating too much, or with not eating enough. Here it is:
The social worker who visited Sherin Mathew's family for follow-ups records that "eating has become more and more challenging for the family". "She likes to eat food outside but not at home".
The fourth, and the last report before Sherin's death, notes, "We discussed several different strategies that may be helpful" and that "additional mealtime strategies are needed to break this cycle and avoid more serious long term eating concerns".
The social worker also recommended "webinars and other resource for feeding issues in adopted children that may be helpful in developing different strategies for Saraswati's (as she was known before her adoption) feeding concerns".
https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...issues/1175180

Perhaps articles like these, which talk about patience, letting children choose to eat, not forcing, etc....
https://www.adoptivefamilies.com/ado...pted-children/
http://www.chop.edu/conditions-disea...oster-children

I found this article to be especially interesting (see quote below) https://blogs.psychcentral.com/weigh...-katja-rowell/
First there may be a challenge “from” the child, like reflux, cleft palate, a history of a drug or alcohol exposure, or any condition that leads to pain, discomfort or mechanical difficulties with eating.
Second is environmental factors: a child who is not attached to a care-taker won’t eat well, a child who has experienced abuse or neglect around feeding will be more challenging to feed. For example, an eighteen month-old who has only had a bottle with thickened liquids will be behind in her oral-motor skills.
Often, there is a combination of factors. Perhaps a child was punished by withholding food, or only was exposed to a limited range of foods and so has anxieties around eating. Stress, chaos, anxiety, poverty and food insecurity play a big role in shaping a child’s early relationship with food. These are occurrences that are simply more common in the more vulnerable population of children in foster care or who were adopted.

What this makes me think is that feeding issues can develop as a response to abuse, and feeding issues can lead to a cycle of control and punishment. JMO

I looked at the first link you posted, but since only India media wrote about the info, and I didn't see anything reported on the same in US media, I dismissed it. I wonder though, if the info reported in the India media is from the follow up on the adoption, because CPS would not release their records.

Fwiw, I do tend to dismiss msm when only one source is reporting.

Could it have been as simple as she didn’t like the type of food being prepared at home or the way it was prepared?

I am not an authority on Indian cuisine but most of what I have experienced has been very spicy and a lot of curry (which is not my favorite spice). When my oldest was little I was convinced that she did not like spaghetti. Then I found out when she went to a restaurant without me she ordered spaghetti. I was dumbfounded. I had always packer her a lunch for school when they had spaghetti again because she wouldn’t eat it at home. Then one morning she asked for lunch money and said I was packing her lunch because it was spaghetti day. She replied that she loved spaghetti she just didn’t like mine. When I asked why she said that I didn’t make it right. Mine wasn’t brown and it wall all lumpy. Brown spaghetti sauce? After that little pang of hurt feelings went away I began to giggle. You see I made spaghetti sauce from scratch with all the garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms and spices. What she wanted was brown bland nearly meatless meat sauce. In the future I put some of my sauce in the food processor or blender for her and she began to enjoy my red sauce too. LOL Sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest answers.
I know many children that have issues with food texture as well. Most grow out if it.

I still have to put sauce
(Manwich, Prego) in the blender for my biggest child- my husband!! [emoji6]

He will eat it unblended, but he picks out every tiny little bit of onion or tomato.
Which is strange because he could literally drink ketchup.
Won't touch even a dice of tomato.
I bet you are right about spices too.
My daughter had a friend that would only eat "white" food until middle school.
Chicken, pork, noodles, bread, rice, potatoes...
Blah!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kids generally love the spaghetti that comes in a can, too. LOL

Agree, father Tomas imo is actually a danger to this case. He has stated horrendous things as fact and it's even made me wonder if he has something to do with Sherins passing as he claims to "know" so many "details".

He showed up in the first days claiming to want to offer a shoulder for the parents but IMO has shown that he just wanted to persecute them... I've never seen a priest so out of line with the media and sharing their theories as fact.

Then this petition to have the body released to the community over her family and to have a burial seems beyond cruel.... I can't even...

A priest IMO should be encouraging the truth, praying the truth comes out, and actively wanting what's best for the family. Unfortunately, this isn't what he is portraying and it's reminded me once again of how church leaders can abuse their positions in a community.

Long story short, please don't trust what father Tomas is saying or doing, it seems to be from an angry place and not from a faithful one or one of love.

Ethically, as Sherin's family has an active church association, he should be approaching and working with the leadership of that congregation if he wishes to be involved in the way that he proposes. Makes me wonder if he is accountable to any denominational body or congregation.

I know many children that have issues with food texture as well. Most grow out if it.

I still have to put sauce
(Manwich, Prego) in the blender for my biggest child- my husband!! [emoji6]

He will eat it unblended, but he picks out every tiny little bit of onion or tomato.
Which is strange because he could literally drink ketchup.
Won't touch even a dice of tomato.
I bet you are right about spices too.
My daughter had a friend that would only eat "white" food until middle school.
Chicken, pork, noodles, bread, rice, potatoes...
Blah!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My daughter always wanted the pepperoni pizza. Then she would pick all the pepperoni's off and leave them on her plate. I thought it would make her happy to learn that there was such a thing as cheese pizza--without those pesky pepperoni's on it. No, she liked picking them off.

I think everyone has little food issues. My husband hated anything white. Cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream. He also hated pineapple cuz he got sick after eating pineapple upside down cake.

I shudder at grape juice because when I was in the hospital at 12 years old, they gave me cod liver oil in grape juice and I barfed it up. I always associate grape juice with that experience. I wouldn't eat pancakes, I had no idea why until one day my sisters and mom were talking about why none of us 6 kids will eat pancakes. Apparently we had pancakes one morning, then later we all came down with the flu and upchucked them.

I have a friend who cannot eat food that touches anything else on her plate, even though it all goes to the same place. lol she's a blast at a restaurant.

Some kids use food as control, the only thing they have control over in their lives.

Both my kids had certain things they wouldn't eat. One hated spaghetti and tomatoes but put ketchup on bread, tacos, you name it. The other hates bell peppers and onions. He's a blast to make fajitas for.

Maybe Sherin just didn't like the Ensure/Pedialyte. The taste or the texture. It could have been that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021