Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not exactly sure what the facts are regarding this. I don't know how many students we're talking about, how often this occurred, etc. etc. I do know that several teachers said they saw students in his classroom, but that the door was always open, so that didn't raise alarm bells for them. That said, and again, without knowing all the facts, I will say that my general first impression of this was that it didn't appear to me that Cummins exerted control over this situation of students hanging out in his class. I do agree with you, this should have been an issue that was taken up with Cummins LONG before the reported kiss. And perhaps it was, I don't know. But apparently, this went on for quite some time without anyone in a position of authority putting the breaks on it, so we certainly are in agree that that was an issue that should have been effectively addressed.
Without pulling up the packet again, it seems that ET's father wasn't informed immediately of the kiss allegation and when he did find out, no one really discussed with him according to the letter from the lawyer.

The second the kiss allegation happened, the father should have been called and brought in to a meeting at the school, if they didn't do that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My problem with the school is that they determined that there was no inappropriateness going on between Cummins and ET.

They said they investigated. If they investigated thoroughly, they would have found the delete emails that prove he was grooming her.

So what did they investigate? Ask a few kids and a few teachers about it and claim that nothing is going on? BS! The proof is everywhere, they just chose not to go through with it, I assume, since it was ET who the entire faculty accuses her of being a hussy.

BBM

I think it's important to remember that these communications between TC and ET were done through deleted DRAFT emails. I'm not sure the school would have had the first clue about them existing, even if they had searched for them. Legally, I don't even know if they would have had the right to seize his computer based on one report of what one student thought she saw. I'm guessing not, but that's a question for someone in the legal field, certainly not me.

The school board is representative of the community so the community likely could hold an election to replace members. Ultimately if problems at a public school aren't addressed locally, it would be reported to local police and possibly the state department of education. People have also sued school districts for board decisions.

In my opinion, we would need more information on these teachers' specific responses before knowing if interventions are needed. In my experience, teachers often just go silent and try to stay out of it because they don't want to connect themselves to the teacher who has committed criminal acts.

So far, I know we have heard rumors they are purposefully not wearing green ribbons etc, but it's possible some are and some aren't. It's also possible their reasons for not doing so may not be agreement with Tad but related to classroom management, the emotional state of students who are having a hard time with this etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ET's sister has also said that some teachers have not been great with some of the sisters also. She didn't expound on what was said to them because she wasn't there.

BBM

I think it's important to remember that these communications between TC and ET were done through deleted DRAFT emails. I'm not sure the school would have had the first clue about them existing, even if they had searched for them. Legally, I don't even know if they would have had the right to seize his computer based on one report of what one student thought she saw. I'm guessing not, but that's a question for someone in the legal field, certainly not me.
Oh they had right to go through it all, it was his school email account. Those drafts were on their servers.

BBM

At schools where I have worked, it has been made clear that computers are district property and that administration even had software that allowed them to review computer usage. So there is a possibility they could have legally, but the draft system they were using would've been difficult to detect in my mind...especially if they were erasing them after they were read. Even if an admin checked, there might not have been any draft messages at the time.

There were two students involved with the kiss, in fact the 2nd student went with the 1st to confront him.

I read in an article way back that 2nd TC's grandchild was also present with that kiss. The article I read said he was in the room, the media packet said student 2 was on some stairs and student 1 talked to student 2. I don't know if student 2 was the grandchild in the room or not.

I found student 1 directly confronting TC and asking what the relationship was to be very credible.

Also I don't think the minute this kiss was reported that the father was contacted. If he was not, that is a problem.

Can you link a msm source for this info about the second student. That's been a source of confusion for me, and I can't recall where I initially read about that. Thanks.

Without pulling up the packet again, it seems that ET's father wasn't informed immediately of the kiss allegation and when he did find out, no one really discussed with him according to the letter from the lawyer.

The second the kiss allegation happened, the father should have been called and brought in to a meeting at the school, if they didn't do that.

IIRC the father wasn't informed by the school at all. The sheriff went to his house 1 WEEK later and that's how he found out about the kiss.

At schools where I have worked, it has been made clear that computers are district property and that administration even had software that allowed them to review computer usage. So there is a possibility they could have legally, but the draft system they were using would've been difficult to detect in my mind...especially if they were erasing them after they were read. Even if an admin checked, there might not have been any draft messages at the time.

I believe it saved the drafts to the server and that is how LE found them. With your company email the IT person has the ability and companies have the authority, to read every single email of every single employee.

I'm not sure if an IT person would not have thought to go through everything. If the school just said "give me the password" and looked through his emails, then sure that person might not have thought to even open the draft folder.

I just looked at the letter.. 7 days after the kiss, LE informed ET's dad about the allegation of the kiss.

When the child reported the kiss to the school, ET's father should have been notified immediately, there is no excuse for not notifying him of an allegation like that involving his daughter.

ET's sister has also said that some teachers have not been great with some of the sisters also. She didn't expound on what was said to them because she wasn't there.

Right. I would definitely want to look into those perceptions and find out what the teachers specific actions and statements were. I just don't want to generalize that any teacher not wearing a green ribbon in front of their class must be abstaining bc they support Tad.

Usually teachers quickly distance themselves from other staff charged in a crime. If this isn't the case, the school should be very immediately and very diligently looking into the sister's report that teachers were being supportive of Tad.

Can you link a msm source for this info about the second student. That's been a source of confusion for me, and I can't recall where I initially read about that. Thanks.
I got the link from the article for that Nancy Grace podcast. It was linked in that article written about that podcast. I'll see if I can find it.

Also there is a student 2 mentioned in the press package in TC's employment file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member