CANADA Canada - Sharin Morningstar Keenan, 9, Toronto, 23 Jan 1983

To RK what are you saying exactly (?) ... if you are saying generally the perps read WS or related sites then of course just as before they read the newspapers. They can easily also join WS or a related site and just lurk or post on other cases. If you are saying they comment on a thread where they are a perp....maybe either to sew disinformation or for the thrill of inserting themselves...or wanting unconsciously to be caught.... maybe.

My questions for you are 1. Why do you think that is happening in this case and 2. what do you mean about perps communicating? Through PMs? Could happen of course though I would say pointlessly risky. Are you suggesting there is more than one perpetrator in this case? That they are communicating here?

As regards photos the problem with the Saskatoon article is that they compare a picture of Idaho man with an aged composite. The DNA they took: if he was they guy surely he would have been arrested. If there really was Howe's DNA on the bags then we might not hear about it. Even if it was I am not sure what they could do about it now. How would it help? I guess to show he had been in the U.S. that would be important. I don't believe the assassin Toronto cop theory or bounty hunter theory.

I AM interested in what Sharin's Mom says first few seconds of the Ridgen doc" long time ago someone told me the bounty hunters had killed him" ....who told her that?

Why do think that? Just common sense or something else? I mean that he is dead.

To RK what are you saying exactly (?) ... if you are saying generally the perps read WS or related sites then of course just as before they read the newspapers. They can easily also join WS or a related site and just lurk or post on other cases. If you are saying they comment on a thread where they are a perp....maybe either to sew disinformation or for the thrill of inserting themselves...or wanting unconsciously to be caught.... maybe.

My questions for you are 1. Why do you think that is happening in this case and 2. what do you mean about perps communicating? Through PMs? Could happen of course though I would say pointlessly risky. Are you suggesting there is more than one perpetrator in this case? That they are communicating here?

In this particular case, I cant go into why I feel its lagging on because its an on going case, but there are several reasons why the man in Idaho hasnt been arrested. Ill stop short of the why (please understand ) because certain things are sensitive to cases like this one, primarily one this old. the blood on the items in the duffel bag could be from anyone not on the FBI DNA records or the RCMP's files.

Offenders will sometimes communicate , we know that (Zodiac etc...) but to come forward in a cold case, from another country , only to claim to not have any involvement, BUT that you can tell the police who did , and then the the story I mean "I didnt do it , but I turned in the guy that did and they killed him"?.. my 8 yo comes up with better stories when she loses her homework. But we all know of those who will do crazy things to garner media attention....Like perhaps claiming to be the one who killed Jon Benet Ramsey for example, when you didn't .

As for contact Offenders will, and do actively follow their crimes in the media, wev've (LE) have even caught criminals because we knew they were following what was being put out there (Dennis Rader ETC) . Some communicate with the press, some will even contact the victims families (Larry Gene Belle etc..) but In this day and age of information it would be foolish to think that criminals wouldn't google their crimes, and find things on sites like this one .

This could be for several reasons , to keep better tabs they could become a member, and read what is going on, perhaps even add to the conversation, for any one of several reasons, (seeking info, mislead, re-live the crime ) etc..

As regards photos the problem with the Saskatoon article is that they compare a picture of Idaho man with an aged composite. The DNA they took: if he was they guy surely he would have been arrested. If there really was Howe's DNA on the bags then we might not hear about it. Even if it was I am not sure what they could do about it now. How would it help? I guess to show he had been in the U.S. that would be important. I don't believe the assassin Toronto cop theory or bounty hunter theory.

They have to prove its him 1st , which can be a problem with older cases (again I wont say why I think it is )

I AM interested in what Sharin's Mom says first few seconds of the Ridgen doc" long time ago someone told me the bounty hunters had killed him" ....who told her that?

As with ANY crime information in the public almost always gets misconstrued, tales are spun, things are fabricated to fill in gaps, in some cases deliberately altered to make stories more compelling , sad , or scary , people add their own flavor to it.

Though it cant be ruled out that "bounty hunters" killed him , there is no proof to bolster that claim either.

1. Well is the guy 6 foot 1 as claimed? If so I do not see how he can be Howe! He does seem too tall. But I don't know.
2. The comment about police putting something in his body that shouldn't be there is certainly interesting.

1. Well is the guy 6 foot 1 as claimed? If so I do not see how he can be Howe! He does seem too tall. But I don't know.
2. The comment about police putting something in his body that shouldn't be there is certainly interesting.

Im not sure of his height , I only read the one article

Im not sure of his height , I only read the one article

Thanks to you or anyone who might know or have ideas just in the abstract (not necessary to refer to this case) if an American had a DNA match for a crime in Canada AND the FBI alerted to this found they were responsible for crimes in the U.S. as well (I am talking serious crimes say homicide) would they make an arrest on behalf of the Canadians (LE) or try to solve the American case or cases first?

Just wondering

"Wondering if Howe happened to see, or hear of S's cameo in doc. about freezing techniques and approached her with inside knowledge about procedure or as someone who worked on the doc?"

This from Dotr number 34. This is very good. Also note the strange theme of freezing i.e. freeze dried foods and Sharin found 'frozen' (body had to be defrosted autopsy delayed) as I have said doesnt seem likely in the rooming house fridge. As I have asked before was she somewhere first before Howes fridge? Father presciently said "she will probably be found in a fridge". Maybe meaning an accidental death?? Oddly the guy in Idaho works in refrigeration among other things though as I have said I think the height precludes him. Howe had said LE out west a strange predilection to tolerate extreme cold as a young teen criminal staying out in abandoned houses in the crazy Sask. temperatures. I will try to refind the sources for the Dad comment and the comment on the delay in autosy. This is from the Wiki article on freeze drying.

In a lab, this is often done by placing the material in a freeze-drying flask and rotating the flask in a bath, called a shell freezer, which is cooled by mechanical refrigeration, dry ice and methanol, or liquid nitrogen. On a larger scale, freezing is usually done using a freeze-drying machine. In this step, it is important to cool the material below its triple point, the lowest temperature at which the solid and liquid phases of the material can coexist. This ensures that sublimation rather than melting will occur in the following steps. Larger crystals are easier to freeze-dry. To produce larger crystals, the product should be frozen slowly or can be cycled up and down in temperature. This cycling process is called annealing. However, in the case of food, or objects with formerly-living cells, large ice crystals will break the cell walls (a problem discovered, and solved, by Clarence Birdseye), resulting in the destruction of more cells, which can result in increasingly poor texture and nutritive content. In this case, the freezing is done rapidly, in order to lower the material to below its eutectic point quickly, thus avoiding the formation of ice crystals. Usually, the freezing temperatures are between −50 °C and −80 °C. The freezing phase is the most critical in the whole freeze-drying process, because the product can be spoiled if improperly done.

Amorphous materials do not have a eutectic point, but they do have a critical point, below which the product must be maintained to prevent melt-back or collapse during primary and secondary drying.

So...50 to 80 below and fact(if a fact): Sharins body frozen 2 day delay in autopsy. Yikes I really think Dotrs comment brilliant since Mom had said she was so bright and street worthy. Comment: "he must have been very good." So insinuated himself somehow yes maybe the video or her art...something that could disarm her usual caution.

Does anyone consider this a credible sighting of Dennis Melvin Howe in the Moose Jaw area?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/melven_zpsgzne1ohi.jpg

Map of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan area...

https://goo.gl/maps/CUupc9QeJzr

A detailed description of Howe...

[video]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/a397f3a8131457eb226ceb0767c7663_crop_zpsifllna01.p ng[/video]

According to several articles, Howe has used the following aliases: Melven Lumsden, Peter Sanderson (lost/stolen ID), Tommy Ross. Michael Burns (he was using this name using false/stolen ID at the time of the Keenan murder, why?), Wayne King, Ralph Ferguson, Jim Meyers. Can anyone think of any more?

His MO appears to be staying in small rooming houses and motels/hotels. A concerted effort by LE in doing a blanket search/notification of all rooming houses, motels, hotels, etc. in Saskatchewan could flush him out.

A previous abduction by Howe...

[video]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/aeafcf7b81b484580b605bf0a9e1cdf_crop_zpsvsoosvi7.p ng[/video]

Saskatchewan is serial killer/rapist's comfort zone...

[video]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/f5bdac580f448b9b0287a239a8ecc49_crop_zpsezq1lcib.p ng[/video]

These towns where Howe had been to were mentioned in just some of the articles about him Winnepeg was also mentioned but not included. His comfort zone?

https://goo.gl/maps/qzLRxFVb1Dp

Cannot recall if this lengthy article from Oct this year has already been posted or not.

lookalike.jpg
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-man-isnt-infamous-fugitive-wanted-for-murder
"Robert James Miller, a quirky appliance repairman and off-beat art collector, brought unwanted attention to himself by writing a bizarre account of his alleged brush with the wanted man, Dennis Melvyn Howe, and dwelling on the unsolved murder in online posts.

Miller, unfortunately, fit the profile of the suspected killer and bore a remarkable resemblance to age-enhanced photos of Howe, who remains a fugitive despite the massive manhunts for him at the time.

Both men are about the same vintage, close in height and are physically similar. Both are left-handed. Both were once heavy smokers and handy with machines. Both seem smart but not well educated. And Miller is married to a Canadian woman from Toronto giving him a tie to the city.

The similarities came to the attention of the Toronto police homicide squad’s cold case detectives and couldn’t easily be dismissed.

Miller seemed his own worst enemy in averting suspicion, maintaining he hired Howe to do odd jobs in Nampa, outside Boise, in the 1990s and, after recognizing him, turned him into authorities.

But rather than returning Howe to Canada for a trial, he colourfully claims two vengeful, retired cops shanghaied Howe and killed him — “most likely from a fall on his way back to Canada from an airplane… quite possibly being fully nude,” and in his last moments being able to “think about his crimes on his way down.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...pects-targeted-in-toronto-police-website.html

Cold case suspects targeted in Toronto police website
The website goes back to 1959 and allows users to search in a number of categories, including by name, year and ‘Most Wanted.’

By: Peter Edwards Star Reporter, Published on Wed Feb 17 2016
Toronto homicide police hope the launch of a new cold-case website will help them solve the case of 9-year-old Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan and more than 500 other murder victims whose killers have not been brought to justice.

“We have taken the time to re-tool the web page to make it more interactive and informative,” Chief Mark Saunders said Wednesday.

“We would encourage the public to go to the website and use social media to spread the word on the individual cases and people wanted for murder.”

The website goes back to 1959 and allows users to search via several categories, including name, year and “Most Wanted.”

“As time goes on, people change, become more willing to assist,” Saunders said.

Keenan’s murder has haunted Toronto homicide investigators ever since the Toronto girl was found in a refrigerator in a Brunswick St. rooming house on Feb. 1, 1983.

dennis-melvin-howe.jpg
Dennis Howe is wanted in connection with the death of 9-year-old Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan on Jan. 23, 1983, one of the oldest crimes on the cold-case site.

From the point of view of a layperson the investigative methods in this case were in the past routinely odd. The article from a Medicine Hat paper a poster kindly linked to announces (Crawley) that they will be going to a northern lumber camp to interview someone. Why announce this in advance? I wonder if they interviewed or did the fellow take a plane out. Max Haines in a book actually said this was in The Soviet Union but that surely is not correct.

The refusal (if true) to use dogs the night she was missing and as we know still alive (they were tired source father) is bizarre surely. Several articles said they were going to seek permission to access a military secret database of soldiers with amnesia or MIA ....it is hard to know what to say. Why start there? (I admit there is no doubt some reason we don't know about).

The fact that photos of Howe went missing whereever the officer and witness (who lived in the rooming house) went is strange. The fact they didn't go to the pen is odd he had just been released from there is strange. The fact that they used a photo that did not look like Howe and given the mix ups above may not be him is strange.

Does anyone know how they confirmed that the DNA in Sharin from the perp was Howes?

On City News tonight at 11, the LE who discovered SMK's body will be talking about the case and the hunt for DMH.
http://www.citynews.ca/videos/
Video: 1983 cold case continues to haunt Toronto police

Toronto police continue to hunt for the person responsible for the murder of nine-year-old Sharin’ Morningstar Keenan in 1983. CityNews reporter Roger Petersen has more on the cold case.

Oct 20, 2016, 7:52 PM

Thanks Dotr. Nice new detail about the lack of cigaratte odour or residue. I had read Lawrie saying 'neat' before. but I think this is new here? So given that Howe is thought to soon have been in Sault St. Marie and given the reckles nature of the crime (Sharin heard screaming or at least in distress by residents in house daylight abduction or luring walking right past Baptie). surely it is a strange crime scene. How would you get rid of the smoke odour? .

There is no way for us to know what Det. Gallant and LE know about the additional evidence linking Howe (beside DNA) to the room.... though well it was his room of course..

There is no way for us to know but I wonder if there is any way Howe was set up for someone else's crime? I realize this is not likely and maybe not possible. There is a long time 9 or 10 days between the date she is missing and the day she was found.

I am not sure how certain the Sault sighting is I have never seen details.

Thanks Dotr. Nice new detail about the lack of cigaratte odour or residue. I had read Lawrie saying 'neat' before. but I think this is new here? So given that Howe is thought to soon have been in Sault St. Marie and given the reckles nature of the crime (Sharin heard screaming or at least in distress by residents in house daylight abduction or luring walking right past Baptie). surely it is a strange crime scene. How would you get rid of the smoke odour? .

There is no way for us to know what Det. Gallant and LE know about the additional evidence linking Howe (beside DNA) to the room.... though well it was his room of course..

There is no way for us to know but I wonder if there is any way Howe was set up for someone else's crime? I realize this is not likely and maybe not possible. There is a long time 9 or 10 days between the date she is missing and the day she was found.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/10/20/video-1983-cold-case-continues-to-haunt-toronto-police/?show_id=0
@ 00:55 LE Lawrie comments on how clean the room was, but what intrigued me was the following comment about the bed made with " hospital corners ".
Was DMH known for being a neat freak, why would someone who would kill a little girl ( putting her in fridge, to be "clean" "odour-free"?) worry about how the room smelled, and how the bed was made?
Was he influenced by an old-school nurse? Maybe he rented that room, but generally did not actually stay there?
Maybe that detail about the bed,might help someone remember him?
imo, speculation.

rbbm.
Includes instructional video.
https://www.craneandcanopy.com/pages/101-how-to-make-hospital-corners

How to Make Hospital Corners

When it comes to making your bed, there is no better way to create a clean, crisp look of a well-made bed than a tidy hospital corner. What’s a hospital corner? The term may sound daunting and trigger visions of well-kept army barracks or neat and tidy hospital rooms. However, when you break it down, making a bed with hospital corners is actually quite easy and not as hard as it sounds.
The bed-making technique of folding hospital corners originates back to the 19th century and the profession of nursing. Nursing is a profession with a long history that was built on war-time and the military. During the 1850s, Florence Nightingale famously organized a group of women to aid the wounded during the Crimean War. Working for and assisting soldiers and doctors demanded nurses to be efficient, clean and organized in the war hospital. With a single sheet, hospital corners were used not only to keep the sheet firmly in place, but also allow nurses to easily change or resize the sheet without causing discomfort to the patient. (Note: The fitted sheet as we know it with its elastic corners would not be invented until the 1990s).

Posted by Claroon on a Hamilton thread. DMH Idiosyncrasies.
Diane Werendowicz, 23, raped & murdered, Hamilton, Ont, June 1981

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...amilton-Ont-June-1981&p=12924469#post12924469
https://books.google.ca/books?id=dU...onepage&q=dennis howe characteristics&f=false
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• howe walk.JPG
    howe walk.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 89
  • howe walk2.JPG
    howe walk2.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 89
Posted by Claroon on a Hamilton thread. DMH Idiosyncrasies.
Diane Werendowicz, 23, raped & murdered, Hamilton, Ont, June 1981

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...amilton-Ont-June-1981&p=12924469#post12924469
https://books.google.ca/books?id=dU...onepage&q=dennis howe characteristics&f=false
attachment.php

attachment.php

They are kind of small. What was of interest was his walking style. The walking style of the perp in the DW case was also quick and awkward as reported in 2 cases. howe walk.JPG

Does anyone on this thread know DMH's whereabouts in 1981? Or what alias he was using then? Could he have worked at dofasco in some capacity? Could he be the ravine rapist?

I was reading up on this crime today and thought the same thing. If others in the rooming house knew his room was empty, another might have put the body in there. That was just a first thought that came to me. Hopefully the other tenants and landlord were vetted.

I was reading up on this crime today and thought the same thing. If others in the rooming house knew his room was empty, another might have put the body in there. That was just a first thought that came to me. Hopefully the other tenants and landlord were vetted.

Was is attractive about that theory is would explain why the case can't be solved. One thing about the house: I know of 1. howe (second floor) 2. the caretakers (where did they live?) 3. O.H. who knew Howe to drink with (third floor) 4. the nicaraguan (?) illegal imm. who heard the events but was afraid to come forward. (1st floor).

Unless some rooms were vacant there should be more tenants. For example Howe was renting just the one room on the second floor with a fridge etc Lots of other rooms in that biggish house.

Along with this theory I am interested in 1. someone named Mark Lane who lived there at least some time in the previous year..... to jump rather indirectly to the point is he related to the minister of Christine Jessop's church? I am not suspecting him by the way directly at least not necessarily. 2. someone who lived right across the street and is very very aware of the case.

It would be a major stunt to get Howe's DNA in? and/or? the body or the scene but not impossible. (Lure, prostitute etc.) Though maybe it is impossible I don't know the details LE knows. It is certainly improbable. But they could have paid Howe to disappear or killed him (invitation to go hunting, whatever). And maybe with his record if Howe found a dead body in his fridge he would just beat it.

I am interested also in the role of people from the girl's school or the boy's school nearby.. It was a great street for those with those predilections. It was also a street where a lot of writers lived. I will tie with up a bit another time

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back