New website for Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
The debate started with the criticism (if that's the right word) that the crimestoppers number shouldn't be on there, LE number should be on there.

There is a lot of things to bash the site over, having a crimestopper number on it isn't one of them.

I don't recall any comment that Crimestoppers should not be posted at all on the website. The OBSERVATION was made that it is the ONLY local number given to call and that is likely that not ALL people would feel comfortable calling Crimestoppers.

I don't recall any comment that Crimestoppers should not be posted at all on the website. The OBSERVATION was made that it is the ONLY local number given to call and that is likely that not ALL people would feel comfortable calling Crimestoppers.

Why not, it's for anonymous tips?

The reasons why some people might not be comfortable reporting to CS and why some circumstances would make it INAPPROPRIATE to call CS has already been discussed. You can find that several pages back.

So why NOT include the number for the police department also? Why NOT put at least ONE contact number on the homepage for people to see without having to search for it ?

I agree, thus the reason I put a suggestion they put the number on the home page. Hopefully they follow it.

Perhaps you could put a comment about them also putting the LE number on there.

I contacted crime stoppers in the past. It wasn't to garner a reward it was because I had possible information. You are able to do it online. No, I'm not a drug addict as Whisperer remarked, just a shy person who thought it was a good way to give a possible tip.

Is Crime stoppers associated with the $100.000 reward and aware of the conditions and able to get their tipsters access to the money now?

Back in October they had this to say about it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/14/lisa-irwin-missing-myster_n_1011975.html

A lot can have changed since October but IMO it would be a little odd for a website to advertize a 100.000 dollar reward and supply a phone number for the tips that can't get you that 100.000 dollar reward.

Very interesting!:what:

I went to my local wal-mart today and did not see Lisa's poster on the wall-but Ayla Reynolds is up there.

The reasons why some people might not be comfortable reporting to CS and why some circumstances would make it INAPPROPRIATE to call CS has already been discussed. You can find that several pages back.

So why NOT include the number for the police department also? Why NOT put at least ONE contact number on the homepage for people to see without having to search for it ?

Because that's not how it works in Kansas City.

It's really easy to throw stones from afar but in Kansas City the acceptable thing..what police preach and use is to call 816-474-TIPS.

Why would you not feel comfortable calling Crime Stoppers? I don't get that?

I have a real problem understanding why criticize what is accepted practice in Kansas City by both residents and police.

????

iirc, he was only told to call the TIPS number during one of the three calls... and not the first time he called... transcripts are out there if you need to verify this.

Thanks but I don't need to verify it - I knew it was one of the calls but didn't remember which one - didn't matter to me which one.

Thanks but I don't need to verify it - I knew it was one of the calls but didn't remember which one - didn't matter to me which one.

i think it's awesome that at least one 911 operator reminded him about the TIPS number and that there might be a reward for a "successful" tip... it demonstrates that more LE personnel than just police endorse the system. thanks for the reminder!!

i would totally call crime stoppers if i had a tip about a crime or a suspect... however, as has been said and as RK did, if i located a body or a missing person, i would most likely call police/911. being an urgent situation, i wouldn't have to stop to look up a number being one reason...

It's really easy to throw stones from afar but in Kansas City the acceptable thing..what police preach and use is to call 816-474-TIPS.

I have a real problem understanding why criticize what is accepted practice in Kansas City by both residents and police.

????

are you aware that the KCMOPD state differently on their website's "missing persons" page? there is no mention of crime stoppers !!

The following individuals are listed as missing. If you have information about any of these people please contact the Kansas City Missouri Police Department at (816) 234-5000 or at missingperson@kcpd.org.

http://www.kcmo.org/police/FAU/index.htm

(816) 234-5000 is their non-emergency number...

Because that's not how it works in Kansas City.

Why would you not feel comfortable calling Crime Stoppers? I don't get that?

????

http://kcpdchief.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-crime-stoppers-month-in-kansas-city.html

Here is where KCPD Police chief is acknowledging crime stopper!

I know this is completely irrelevant but I also remember Roy Kronk saying, either to the 9-1-1 operator or later on to explain why he didn't want to call Crime Stoppers, he wanted to remain anonymous. I guess he had it backward.

There are occasions in which a person might feel they are SAFER not being anonymous. I have personally been in a few of those situations myself. Sometimes being very out in the open and public protects you more than being concealed.

There are occasions in which a person might feel they are SAFER not being anonymous. I have personally been in a few of those situations myself. Sometimes being very out in the open and public protects you more than being concealed.

That's very true but it would have to be based on individual situations.

Maybe my eyes are bad, but when I check out the site it says:

Report any tips or information you think would be useful to Kansas City CrimeStoppers

not

Report if you see Lisa dead or alive to Kansas City Crimestoppers

BTW, reason one would call crimestoppers and want to be anonymous? If they see BL with someone they know (family member, friend, etc)

I find all of this to be a moot point. These parents aren't looking for Lisa, they know what happened to her and where she is. All this discussion about the website is absolutely pointless. I believe it to be the work of the DT and the benefactor. Why even bother to have arguments concerning this? Lisa is gone, Lisa is dead, it is not even worth our time to explore our opinions about the website. MOO

That's very true but it would have to be based on individual situations.

Yes, and every "tipster" is an individual, with an individual situation. I wouldn't dream of telling others what they should or should not do. And if I wanted my missing baby back, or wanted to know what happened to her, I would want ANYONE to call in ANY TIP to any resource available. And I would put those numbers on the FRONT PAGE of a website dedicated to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie