Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I didn't mean to implicate that JG did anything wrong or maybe was withholding info. Just that his phone should have had at least some of the texts still available. When my phone inbox is full from texting it won't allow me to receive texts until I clear some out - same with the outgoing box.

For anybody watching Inside Edition...

Did it creep anyone else out when the host previewed the new video of Britt and said, "Are there clues to Brittanee in THIS video?"

I agree. I didn't mean to implicate that JG did anything wrong or maybe was withholding info. Just that his phone should have had at least some of the texts still available. When my phone inbox is full from texting it won't allow me to receive texts until I clear some out - same with the outgoing box.

Oh, definitely MB! I didn't think that at all :)

I'm just trying to work out in my mind and I think that LE probably knows the content of messages and know whether or not she indicated any danger.

The one clue this video gave us is probably an unfortunate one. Brittanee has shown that she is a fun loving out going girl, but she was probably naive to the fact that there are people out there who will hurt you. As the evidence now shows us, she was simply to open and willing to hang out with people she barely knew. Very sad.

I get the feeling that the recent efforts by DD and M. Caison to go on diffferent TV news shows, combined with the LE announcement of 3-4 POI's, will pay off soon. The POI's have to really be feeling the pressure now.

Makes sense. Did LE ever release what that last text to JG actually said? If they did, then please excuse the latter part of this post. :)

If they didn't, then:

Perhaps it was about being in a car with "friends' of friends'"or something along those lines. Although that may have alarmed JG for many reasons, could LE have initially taken that as her having met up with some people and just hadn't resurfaced yet? On top of that, could they considered at that time that they may just be dealing with a teenage bf who could be both over-reactive and/or a little jealous. During spring break, I am sure people temporarily fall off of the map pretty frequently. Could that be the exact reason that LE initially DID consider this a runaway case? Is that maybe why LE stated it as "interesting"? Because she sent a text that she was seemingly comfortable with whomever she was with?

I just posted the last text several minutes ago...

Last text:

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S914066.shtml?cat=566

He last spoke to his girlfriend April 25th. "The last text that I sent her, it had the sentence, 'You better be safe. I really miss you,'" recalled Grieco. "And she assured me that she was being safe, and now this is national news."

Thanks MB. That makes me wonder even more. "You better be safe." Doesn't that sound like something you would say if you were already somewhat concerned? :waitasec:

Thanks MB. That makes me wonder even more. "You better be safe." Doesn't that sound like something you would say if you were already somewhat concerned? :waitasec:

Yes it does.

I'm not sure...If my boyfriend/girlfriend was partying so far from me I would probably say that in every conversation...I know anytime my husband is elsewhere with my kids, or often even just by himself outside of normal working hours, I will say this...

BTW, I love the idea of the playing cards...In 3 years they solved 3 cold cases this way...Let's hope this is the 4th...

Just found this article:

New Video: Missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel
A
Friday, April 16, 2010 at 4:05 p.m.

The mother of missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel appeared on NBC's The Today Show Friday morning, with new video of her daughter taken the day before she disappeared.

The video was shot by a guy from Illinois who met Brittanee the night before she went missing in April of last year. It was shot in on a cell phone in a hotel room in Myrtle Beach.

Drexel was visiting the Grand Strand from Rochester, NY.

When the guy who took the video found out Brittanee was missing, he called police and was questioned. Police tell us he is not considered a suspect or even a person of interest.
Police have said the video doesn't really provide much information for their investigation.

To leave a comment, scroll down and click on "post a comment."

I'm not sure...If my boyfriend/girlfriend was partying so far from me I would probably say that in every conversation...I know anytime my husband is elsewhere with my kids, or often even just by himself outside of normal working hours, I will say this...

BTW, I love the idea of the playing cards...In 3 years they solved 3 cold cases this way...Let's hope this is the 4th...

I agree and have done the same. Such as "Please be safe." or "Stay safe." However, the wording "You better be safe." just sounds like he was replying to a message from her that she may have been in a situation that would have raised his concern. Like she was with people she may not have known that well or in a car with someone she didn't know that well. Then again I suppose he could have been merely been reacting to her walking back to her hotel alone.

It just has baffled me as to how he would have reacted so quickly to her possibly being missing at 9:30pm, if that time is accurate.

Rochestergirl, you probably want to repost that article here. Very interesting statement from police.

Rd-JFC (hope I brought this over ok)

Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Rochestergirl

Ok this was updated tonight. Wow looks like their calling out the "friends" or "family" I bolded and underlined part that stood out.

Details limited on Drexel investigation to protect case
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 12:50 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 15, 2010 7:58 PM EDT

Details remain limited in Brittanee Drexel investigation
2:47

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Investigators on the Brittanee Drexel case are defending their actions after the girl's mother went on national television, critical of recent developments in the investigation.

Dawn Drexel made an appearance on CNN earlier this week saying investigators should not have said the Rochester, NY teen was likely dead, and that Myrtle Beach investigators are not giving her enough information about the case.

Capt. David Knipes, spokesman for the Myrtle Beach Police Department, says he feels area investigators have given the Drexel family as much pertinent information as possible without jeopardizing the case.

Dawn Drexel also commented on CNN that she is upset investigators said her daughter may not be alive. Georgetown County Lt. Neil Johnson said Thursday he understands that she's a mother in distress about her daughter's year-long disappearance.

However, based on information gathered throughout the lengthy investigation, Johnson says investigators are treating the missing teen's case as a homicide case.

"Based off of what we have right now, we have no other information that's leading us any other direction," explained Johnson. "She's right, we have not found Brittanee. We have not made an arrest. We are making that statement based off the information that we have."

Both the Myrtle Beach Police and the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office have full-time investigators working only on the Brittanee Drexel case, according to authorities, and Johnson said that law enforcement officials are hoping the details they have released will lead to a break in the case.

"If that one person that associates theirself, whether it be a family member, it be a friend," said Johnson, "they need to stop and put theirselves in Brittanee's family's shoes, and kind of turn the scenario around on theirselves and think about you know, if this was them, and come forward."

Johnson said that since news broke Friday on the persons of interest, investigators have been flooded with calls.

Johnson confirmed Monday investigators have pinpointed three or four people of interest in the case of Brittanee Drexel, who was 17 at the time of her disappearance. Johnson said all persons of interest have been previously questioned by authorities, but could not confirm an exact time frame in which they were questioned.

Two of the suspects, according to Johnson, have been subjected to lie detector tests. Johnson, however, has refrained from commenting on the results of those tests.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe these people [the persons of interest] know Drexel directly," Johnson said.

Myrtle Beach Police Det. Vincent Dorio said the recent advancements in the case developed from a tip, and detectives are confident the information is leading them in the right direction to finding who might be responsible for her disappearance.

Drexel disappeared after she was last seen in the area of 11th Avenue South and 20th Avenue South in Myrtle Beach. Drexel was in the area against the will of her mother.

Contact was lost between Drexel and her family in New York on April 25, 2009, the same night authorities say she disappeared. The last signal from her cell phone came the next night near the South Santee River.

Since she went missing, multiple search efforts for the teen have been executed from Horry County to Charleston County. While investigators have searched throughout three counties, each search effort has left police empty handed.

CrimeStoppers of the Lowcountry continues to offer a reward for any information on Drexel's whereabouts. Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Drexel is urged to contact the agency at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

Family and friends will gather April 24th for a candlelight vigil. At 6:00 p.m. that Saturday, they will gather for a walk from the Bar Harbor Hotel to the Bluewater Hotel. Then at 7:30 p.m. they will hold a vigil at the Hurl Rock Park.

The public is invited to attend.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rochestergirl For This Useful Post:
LadyBug99, MBLover, rd_jfc, SkewedView, Strawberry Fields

on JVM

New video shows her in a hotel room 24hrs before she disappeared.
3-4 persons have been named POI

6_DREXEL_UPDATE-PKG.jpg

Now, Investigation Discovery released new images of Brittanee at a Myrtle Beach hotel the night before she vanished.
The video shows her texting on her cell phone and laughing.

With three or four person’s of interest in her daughter’s disappearance, Dawn Drexel is hoping she will see Brittanee again.

http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...ttanee_drexels_mother_holds_onto_hope/123013/

Rochestergirl, you probably want to repost that article here. Very interesting statement from police.

Rd-JFC (hope I brought this over ok)

Both the Myrtle Beach Police and the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office have full-time investigators working only on the Brittanee Drexel case, according to authorities, and Johnson said that law enforcement officials are hoping the details they have released will lead to a break in the case.

"If that one person that associates theirself, whether it be a family member, it be a friend," said Johnson, "they need to stop and put theirselves in Brittanee's family's shoes, and kind of turn the scenario around on theirselves and think about you know, if this was them, and come forward."

Johnson said that since news broke Friday on the persons of interest, investigators have been flooded with calls.

Johnson confirmed Monday investigators have pinpointed three or four people of interest in the case of Brittanee Drexel, who was 17 at the time of her disappearance. Johnson said all persons of interest have been previously questioned by authorities, but could not confirm an exact time frame in which they were questioned.

Two of the suspects, according to Johnson, have been subjected to lie detector tests. Johnson, however, has refrained from commenting on the results of those tests.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe these people [the persons of interest] know Drexel directly," Johnson said.

Myrtle Beach Police Det. Vincent Dorio said the recent advancements in the case developed from a tip, and detectives are confident the information is leading them in the right direction to finding who might be responsible for her disappearance.

(snipped by me):
I know a lot of people are saying the police are referring to people from the MB area and the POIs in the comment (in red) above but to me it might sound like ROC people considering he specifically stated be it a family member or friend...

Brittanee Drexel’s mother holds onto hope
By Wendi Redman
Published: April 16, 2010
Updated: April 16, 2010

MYRTLE BEACH—Hope is hard to hold onto after your daughter has been missing for almost a year; however, Dawn Drexel, mother of missing teen Brittanee Drexel, told Inside Edition Friday that hope is one of the few things she still has.

“I have to hold out hope,“ said Dawn Drexel. “She’s my daughter.“

Dawn’s daughter, then 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel from New York, was vacationing in Myrtle Beach last spring break when she vanished.

Video surveillance from the Blue Water Resort captured the last images of the teen.

http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...ttanee_drexels_mother_holds_onto_hope/123013/

Family still hopeful nearly year after teen's disappearance
By NATALIE SHEPHERD | News Channel 8
Published: April 16, 2010

PALMETTO - It's been nearly a year since 18-year-old Brittanee Drexel disappeared from a spring break trip to South Carolina on April 25, 2009. The teenager traveled to Myrtle Beach with friends, without her parents knowing.

The anniversary is a difficult one for her family in Manatee County.

"There's a lot of emotions," said her aunt, Keri Drexel. "Until there's evidence, it keeps the family going and the hope alive."

Keri Drexel has been working hard during the past year to keep her niece's name and picture in the public eye. She collaborated with the Florida Association of Crime Stoppers to get Brittanee's picture on the fourth-edition deck of Florida Unsolved Homicides and Missing Persons Playing Cards.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/ap...ful-nearly-year-after-teens-disap/news-metro/

Brittanee Drexel Video Released Shows Teen Hours Before Missing
by Amy Judd | April 16, 2010 at 01:10 pm

The video shown on The Today Show Friday April 16 2010 shows some new footage taken of missing teen Brittanee Drexel almost one year after her disappearance in Myrtle Beach.

The video shows Brittanee in a hotel room and she smiling and appears happy as she texts on her cell phone. There is a guy who was with her at this point and he was the one shooting the video, but police say that he is not a suspect in her disappearance.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/brittanee-drexel-video-released-shows-teen-hours-missing-2606514.html

New Video: Missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel
By Continuous News Desk
Friday, April 16, 2010 at 4:05 p.m.

The mother of missing spring breaker Brittanee Drexel appeared on NBC's The Today Show Friday morning, with new video of her daughter taken the day before she disappeared.

The video was shot by a guy from Illinois who met Brittanee the night before she went missing in April of last year. It was shot in on a cell phone in a hotel room in Myrtle Beach.

Drexel was visiting the Grand Strand from Rochester, NY.

When the guy who took the video found out Brittanee was missing, he called police and was questioned. Police tell us he is not considered a suspect or even a person of interest.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=444889

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member