CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
She left her home in Escondido, California, around 7 a.m. for school with a check in hand, a down payment on a baby lamb that she was going to raise and care for as part of her Future Farmers of America class.
It was a day that she'd been looking forward to for more than a year, her family says. But she never made it to school and hasn't been heard from since, prompting authorities to launch a massive search for the missing teen.
"She would not have given up that lamb for anything," her mother, Carrie McGonigle, said. "She's a wholesome kid. She doesn't run amok like most teenagers. She did not run away, I guarantee it."
Her cell phone was turned on once for about 20 seconds the day after she disappeared and has not been turned on since then, Escondido Police spokesman Lt. Bob Benton said.
Her mother and her live-in boyfriend voluntarily submitted
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/22/amber.dubois/index.html

Here is a link from CNN. I hope they have something on Nancy Grace or Greta about Amber. It's terrible when a child can't even go to school without being missing. I think back to the days I walked to school and we never even thought of going missing in those days. That was in the 50's. I guess some kids went missing but without 24/7 news you never heard about it unless it was right in your area.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/22/amber.dubois/index.html

This article is from Sat...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29306087/

A local investigator in the case of missing Escondido teenager Amber Dubois, said a woman, who looks a lot like the missing 14-year-old, told him that some men got out of a van February 2 near Escondido High School and approached her.

When the men asked her to get in the van, she said no, and they chased her, Bill Garcia said. The woman said she ran into an elementary school and escaped.

." The teen disappeared on her way to school last Friday morning and was spotted once or twice last weekend but has not been seen since.

:confused: spotted once or twice over the weekend?

On Saturday, police received a report of Amber seen walking near Palomar Medical Center with two other teens but have been unable to confirm that report, according to the North County Times. The teen's cell phone was activated for a few seconds Saturday afternoon, but other than that, her parents said, it has been off since she disappeared.

Amber was listed as ENDANGERED RUNAWAY ( I checked cached pages), she is now listed as ENDANGERED MISSING http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...seNum=1116113&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

This was a HUGH mistake in this case, I think. I also do not believe she was "spotted"! And her cell phone - it is too bad someone can't run that down. Either someone found it and turned it on OR ???? idk. If someone found it, you would think that they would still be using it or they would have turned it in somewhere. It is very likely that this phone is sitting in some lost and found and no one has taken the time to run it down to find out who it belongs too!

My prayers are with Amber and her family,

Salem

I don't know what to say except that this case makes me so sad. I hope it turns out well.

I can't believe there's not more attention being paide to this.

I hope Amber is found safe and SOON

Someone tried to dial into her voice mail but the password was rejected and the phone was immediately shut off and has not been turned on again since. Garcia said that brief activity was recorded as coming from the Escondido area.
Garcia said there doesn't appear to be any clothing missing from Amber's closet, and her debit card has not been used. Maurice DuBois said the cash Amber had is still in her room.
Garcia said they are also keeping a watch on the $200 check she was given to purchase the baby lamb. It has not been cashed.

Garcia (PI) thinks friends know more then they are telling...

Garcia, the private investigator, likened his hunch to something not "clicking." He also pointed to a series of phone calls that showed up on Amber's cell phone records. When he called that number, the young man on the other line, he said, denied knowing the teen. But Garcia said he later found out the number reportedly belonged to a boyfriend of Amber's friend.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=6940098&page=2

Thank goodness Nancy Grace will be covering this story. I see this girl's missing picture everywhere in Escondido and it just breaks my heart. I really feel for her parents. The picture of her that showed up on the Fox News website looked a lot different than the ones on the missing poster.

I used the tool in the Call To Action Forum on Websleuths to look up sex offenders in that neighborhood and, Yikes, it is sickening.

One thing that bothers me is that an older woman with Alzheimer's went missing in the early Fall in the same area and she was never found. It is scary to live near this area because if someone goes missing, it doesn't seem like much is done to find the person.

Let's hope for the best for Amber.

Lots of good coverage tonight on NG! I hope that it stirs up some new leads.

Yes - NG gave this case like 10 or 15 minutes. She had good contacts with the Escondido media and the PI. If they keep talking, NG will probably do a followup or two, which would be great! I think when the case goes national, LE feels the pressure and while I am sure LE doesn't like the pressure, in this case it is needed. They should never, ever, ever have treated this girl like a runaway. There was absolutely NOTHING to indicate that she would runaway and everything to indicate that she was snatched. My opinion, anyway.

Salem

I heard a report that they thought they might be heading for the Mexico border? How far away would that be or why would they think this? What is the closest border to this area?
Praying for Amber and her family.

I saw this case on NG last evening. While watching it, I had a de ja vu moment.

I've been staying with my son and family since mid September, since I sold my house in Orange County. Late last year (beginning this school year) there was an attempted abduction of a girl that goes to my grandson's school, Bonita Middle School. She was walking home from school.

Chula Vista and Escondido are several miles from each other, but I wonder if they're connected at all? I believe it was a lone guy, but can't recall now what the vehicle was.

I tried contacting them to see if they've talked to Chula Vista PD but I'm not certain my note went through.

JMHO
fran

Latest on Missing Escondido Girl

There is another possible theory behind the disappearance of Amber Dubois. The 14-year-old girl has been missing since Friday February 13th. Amber's family and Private Investigator Bill Garcia are piecing together what they think may have happened. Their primary theory remains that Amber was abducted by a stranger while on her way to school, but now another possibility is developing.

“Either someone that knew Amber or knew of Amber may have played a cruel prank on her being that is was Friday the 13th and the Valentine's day holiday,” says Garcia.

According to Garcia, based on talks with Amber's friends, Escondido High School has seen its fair share of cruel and unusual pranks. Specific details on what kind of pranks were not released.

“I don't feel in my heart, even though I've heard stories of it, but I don't feel in my heart that any child would hold a prank on this long,” says Amber’s father, Maurice Dubois. Dubois says from day one he's felt that Amber was abducted.
“It was disgusting, within two miles of her school there are 29 registered sex offenders,” says Dubois.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Latest-on-Missing-Escondido-Girl/glZVEOPuJU6Tpv0R0QtFMw.cspx?rss=800

GRACE: Well what do we think about that, Bill Garcia?

GARCIA: Well, there have been a series of attempted abductions of teenage girls in the north San Diego County area and in most instances the description is an older model white utility van. No further description other than there has been reported to be at least one to three Hispanic men.

In one situation within the last month a teenage girl was abducted. She was held for approximately 20 minutes before being released and this was reported by San Diego County Sheriff.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0902/24/ng.01.html

The mexican border is within 1 hour from Escondido. Tijuana is the closest border city.

I heard a report that they thought they might be heading for the Mexico border? How far away would that be or why would they think this? What is the closest border to this area?
Praying for Amber and her family.

So, I did call the tip line and told them about the attempted abduction near us a few months ago. They hadn't heard about it and they didn't think it was completely out of the question that they COULD be related. They're going to contact the local pd and get further details. I told them they might even contact the school because they had sent home a notice to the kids.

He asked me how I heard about the 'attempted abduction' and I told him I saw it on tv and it was a friend of my grandson's and he talked to her about it the next day.

JMHO
fran

This was a HUGH mistake in this case, I think. I also do not believe she was "spotted"! And her cell phone - it is too bad someone can't run that down. Either someone found it and turned it on OR ???? idk. If someone found it, you would think that they would still be using it or they would have turned it in somewhere. It is very likely that this phone is sitting in some lost and found and no one has taken the time to run it down to find out who it belongs too!

My prayers are with Amber and her family,

Salem

Is there a request in on the Astro Forum? I have not found one but I did cast a chart for the moment she vanished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam