Desert pictures

When I looked at the stairs in the blown up picture file, I couldnt positively say that the stairs are concrete. They could be a very weathered rail road tie covered in worn creosote. There is a nail on one one end. could be rebar though. could be. just sayin'. M O O

They looked like stone to me, but I guess weathered wood could be too. The picture with the man in it is probably the best one to look at in trying to determine that, but I don't know where that one came from or how to blow it up.

This is one where you can click and enlarge. If you look at the stair closest to the lady in dark blue while it's enlarged, it's pretty clear it's "rough concrete".

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/ig/Rodney-Alcala---Photographs/00083.htm

As to where that concrete is, I am not sure. I still think it's a beach, and most likely along the So Ca/Los Angeles area beaches.

Best-
Herding Cats

Yep, I agree. Looks like concrete to me.....sigh....now if we can only find them, because I think they are unusual.

Are they rock or cement? I spent hours googling pictures of paths to beaches and I found zero that were slabs, not in images and not in descriptions. Hope someone else has more luck, cuz I think rock slabs at a coastal beach may be unusual, which also makes me wonder if indeed it is at a mountainous lake area somewhere where rock like that may be plentiful???

Yes, that's also what I thought. It looks very much like a place I've been to, in Wyoming. I've been looking all over the place, too, and not finding anything that quite matches.

The rock steps look like the kind of granite slabs common in New England, but I can't think of anyplace that has that white soil. Except maybe out on the Cape, but I don't remember any steps that steep. Hmmmmm.

I still think the girl in Alcala's photo looks like Carlene Brown, missing from Wyoming in 1974. For some unknown reason the photo I posted of Carlene in #8 above has been deleted, so I'm posting a side-by-side comparison once again.

carlenepossible.jpg
brown_carlene.jpg

It looks like there's a gap in the front teeth in both images. The ears, the nose, the hair, the shape of the face, all very similar.

I still think the girl in Alcala's photo looks like Carlene Brown, missing from Wyoming in 1974. For some unknown reason the photo I posted of Carlene in #8 above has been deleted, so I'm posting a side-by-side comparison once again.

carlenepossible.jpg
brown_carlene.jpg

It looks like there's a gap in the front teeth in both images. The ears, the nose, the hair, the shape of the face, all very similar.

Yeah, even the ears. Does the time line work?

The timeline is a problem, as Carlene vanished on July 4, 1974 along with her friend Christy Gross. Alcala was in prison until August 3rd, according to every timeline I've seen.

I wish there was a photo available of Christy. Her body was found nine years later, but there has been no sign of Carlene to this day.

I grew up around the beaches of Socal, and those concrete steps are very common. So is that terrain. Wearing longsleeves, or a turtleneck, to the beach is not that rare. Long sleeves shield you from the breeze (it can be cold on the beach, if the sun isn't shining down...and if you go in the water, it's easy to get chilled). Long sleeves also help when you're trying not to get sunburned.

That light blue car looks to me like a '64-'66 Pontiac, maybe a Catalina or a Bonneville. If anyone can zoom in on the license plate and see if it's got a black background with yellow lettering, you can be pretty sure it's a California car.

Also, there is a pretty famous nude beach in San Diego...and the terrain in these photos would not rule it out for a location. It's below the bluffs at Torrey Pines and is called Black's Beach.

That light blue car looks to me like a '64-'66 Pontiac, maybe a Catalina or a Bonneville. If anyone can zoom in on the license plate and see if it's got a black background with yellow lettering, you can be pretty sure it's a California car.

I narrowed down the blue car to being one of 2 Olds models. Either a 1965 Delta 88 or a 1965 Starfire. Those were the only ones that had the same roof shape, rear bumper shape and tail light arrangement. Links to good pics below.
Delta 88
http://www.hurricaneimports.com/images/green-65-delta3.jpg

Starfire
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/76378061_68d73e90fa.jpg

Unfortunately, the copy of the pic I found is too low res to make out the license plate. The plants may be obscuring it in any case. Does anyone know of a high-res version? There isn't one of this shot on Nancy Grace's site.

The timeline is a problem, as Carlene vanished on July 4, 1974 along with her friend Christy Gross. Alcala was in prison until August 3rd, according to every timeline I've seen.

I wish there was a photo available of Christy. Her body was found nine years later, but there has been no sign of Carlene to this day.

Oh, right, I remember that case now. They think Christy was killed very soon after she disappeared, so unlike some of the other cases where he might have encountered runaways later, the dates make this one very unlikely.

And she does look so close.

Also, there is a pretty famous nude beach in San Diego...and the terrain in these photos would not rule it out for a location. It's below the bluffs at Torrey Pines and is called Black's Beach.

Black Beach is a nude beach, you can enter through Torrey Pines, but again, the steps are wooden filled with sand: Here are pictures of them. http://www.blacksbeach.org/routes.html

Being originally from No.Cal bay area and now in western Oregon, I too was so sure this was a beach. And I was equally sure I'd been down some concrete steps to get there before. But I have now looked at many, many beach access descriptions and photos all along the west coast and cannot find concrete steps anywhere that look like these. (not that I've seen them all, mind you, lol) There are some in Oregon, but they are quite steep and are more like stair cases and have metal rails, etc,

I do now think these slabs are uncommon, so if someone else would like to try and find them, maybe we can pinpoint the location of this picture.

Found one, (also was looking for showers on the beach and came up with Laguna Beach) this is Crystal Cove access info and there are some pictures, will look into it further (or you can :), I gotta get goin' elsewhere today).

To get to the beach walk along the path behind the bathroom. The path takes you to the first set of steps made from railroad ties. They are steep and there are over 100 of them. This takes you down to the lower park of the steps made out of concrete and at the end of the concrete there are another 12 steps out of railroad ties. This is a big hike and is very steep. Please relax and take your time navigating the staircase, with or without Scuba gear. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...l=en&sa=G&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS351US351&tbs=isch:1

One thing to bear in mind is that things rot fast by water, so the steps and other features we are seeing in old photos may no longer be present in the same locations today.

Also, things could have changed -- parking lots paved, stairs removed or replaced, buildings built or torn down, cliffs eroded away, etc. etc. etc.

Do you know if Gross was a married or maiden name - not sure if she was married or not? I am trying to find a high school picture, but I am unable to do so.
Verdandie

Excuse me if this has already been done before, but something in the original thread caught my attention. Can someone compare the pics in post 379 and 397 in the original thread and compare the photos of the San Diego tshirt girl to the girl named georgeann who disappeared in washington. There are facial similarities to me. but the clincher is, After that the knees of the tshirt girl need to be blown up. Georgeann had some bumps below the knees and in my limited ability to blow up the pic, it appears the San Diego tshirt girl does also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back