Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #68 *Appeal Verdict*

Status
Not open for further replies.
....bail for murder at £500.......is this a joke....or is the CC going to overturn the murder verdict and the décision has already been made behind closed curtains....

Llewelyn Curlewis on Sky has just said he does not expect this matter to be concluded before October 2016.

I think the criticisms of Nel are quite unfair

We can see the judge was well minded to grant bail and OP has had bail right throughout these proceedings except for when he was sentenced for CH

I agree it seems ridiculous - I would have expected jail in other countries.

But I really don't see what Nel as prosecutor can do differently - and anyway, OP is fortunate with the Court break - but he will have to serve his time eventually.

Unless he is left off by the Con Court - but in that event - he ought not to have served his time.

Any comments or reactions from the NPA yet?

http://citizen.co.za/899861/npa/

"The National Prosecuting Authority wanted the prescribed 15-year minimum sentence imposed on murderer Oscar Pistorius.

“He is convicted of murder, and he is a first offender. Fifteen years is prescribed in terms of the minimum sentencing act as the appropriate sentence for murder,” spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku said outside the North Gauteng High Court on Tuesday.

“We will argue for the imposition of the 15-year minimum sentence.”

He added that the prosecution authority had a responsibility to ensure that the law was applied in accordance with the constitution...

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel earlier told the court that there was no prospect Pistorius’s appeal succeeding."

Talk about delusional

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan · 5h5 hours ago
#OscarPistorius: my release on bail will not induce a sense of shock or outrage @eNCA

Attachments

• OP 1.jpg
    OP 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 92
Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan · 6h6 hours ago
#OscarPistorius says keeping him behind bars would be unfair "where I have at least a probable prospect of success" in Concourt @eNCA

#OscarPistorius: I believe I will be successful in an appeal to the Constitutional Court @eNCA

#OscarPistorius: I am not a flight risk @eNCA

Ruth Maclean ‏@ruthmaclean · 3h3 hours ago
A correctional services official tells me #OscarPistorius electronic tag on wrist because if it was on prosthetic ankle "he'd just leave it"

Ruth Maclean ‏@ruthmaclean · 1h1 hour ago
A tagged #OscarPistorius just left correctional services in a new white Audi. But he can't afford bail of more than R10k/ £500

Maybe the Audi was a gift/reward for all of Oscar's suffering. What a narcissist.

I'm pretty much done with this. A convicted murderer gets a new car, a 'slap on the wrist', house arrest and bail hearing next April. The brutality of that murder should be counted somehow.

Maybe Nel will write a book one day. I agree with another poster about Nel (sorry I can't remember your name).

Can't forget the SCA was willing to go with DD but it wasn't asked for. During the initial trial, Nel has seem confused and today again. Maybe it's the pressure from who knows where. Don't know.

The defence team is expected to appeal to the Constitutional Court on the grounds that the appeal court considered matters of fact rather than law, which are outside its remit.

If the application to appeal is successful, Pistorius could remain on bail until late next year while a space is found to hear his case, and could escape jail altogether if his appeal succeeds.

If the application fails, the court will in April set a date for sentencing, which could also be late in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...car-Pistorius-bail-hearing-decision-live.html

The defence team is expected to appeal to the Constitutional Court on the grounds that the appeal court considered matters of fact rather than law, which are outside its remit.

If the application to appeal is successful, Pistorius could remain on bail until late next year while a space is found to hear his case, and could escape jail altogether if his appeal succeeds.

If the application fails, the court will in April set a date for sentencing, which could also be late in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...car-Pistorius-bail-hearing-decision-live.html

This is expected - as that was exactly what Roux argued on appeal and leave to appeal.

So they already lost twice with that argument.

Will be interesting to see if they can come up with better arguments than last time but as I've mentioned before, the irony is that the weakness in the defence case is the poor judgement Masipa penned.

This is not something that an Appeal Court can fix up for him.

Masipa had one job!

Maybe the Audi was a gift/reward for all of Oscar's suffering. What a narcissist.

I'm pretty much done with this. A convicted murderer gets a new car, a 'slap on the wrist', house arrest and bail hearing next April. The brutality of that murder should be counted somehow.

Maybe Nel will write a book one day. I agree with another poster about Nel (sorry I can't remember your name).

Can't forget the SCA was willing to go with DD but it wasn't asked for. During the initial trial, Nel has seem confused and today again. Maybe it's the pressure from who knows where. Don't know.

.........what's the point in trying to find the ins and outs all in detail of how and why he shot her if we have to put up with lowest form of justice known to a democratic country......the smirk says it all..

We can see the judge was well minded to grant bail and OP has had bail right throughout these proceedings except for when he was sentenced for CH

But I really don't see what Nel as prosecutor can do differently - and anyway, OP is fortunate with the Court break - but he will have to serve his time eventually.

Unless he is left off by the Con Court - but in that event - he ought not to have served his time.

I will say that today he did better than usual but as a lay person it really would be good to be able to follow his argument on all occasions. I felt really uncomfortable during the SCA hearing and, before that the trial but, nonetheless, was delighted that he won. I cringed when he found difficulty in answering the very first question of the SCA Appeal day. I think you may find this very much easier, being a lawyer and knowing where he is leading.

I don't doubt Nel's integrity or knowledge but, no matter how hard I listen, his argument is usually broken and disjointed without an easily understood flow to it. He is the only senior lawyer I have listened to that suffers from this problem and I can only think it may be his fluency in English is not strong. He seems to struggle for words at times. Compared to Roux (who I find a bit of a con man) he lags well behind in fluency. By that I mean he seems to lack good expression of thought processes. However, IMO, Roux only got as far as he did by oiling the procedure with his half truths and obsequious bearing. That is something I would never say about Nel. I think he is a genuine, hardworking, honest but maybe anxious man.

Still catching up with video and comments. .

The ruling:gaah:

10 000 R bail :facepalm:
Out of house from 7 till noon :facepalm:
No flight risk :facepalm:
The smirking and arrogance :stormingmad:
"I have no history of violence":banghead:
I am speechless, shocked. :thud:Ridiculous, totally inappropriate (again !!!), disgusting.

What a mockery! :shame: What a sad day for SA justice !

Is this judge living in some kind of parallel universe ?!?!? :tantrum:

BIB - there's just no making sense of that at all. To be honest, I feel a bit sick about the whole thing. The 'broken' and 'devastated' OP managing a little grin when the judge agreed to a 20km radius for his travels. The dirty look he gave Nel when Nel correctly pointed out he was now a convicted murderer. And the laugh he shared with Roux? I was hoping to see a little more humility but no. There he was. The same "I'm a star. I always win" attitude.
Spot on. Exactly how I feel watching him.
He doesn't give a **** about the justice system, he didn't give a **** about a humans live. And he feels entitled to do so - that, in my view is the worst of all.
It is SO sickening !!!! How can it be that these judges are fooled to such an extent :doh:

I've had enough of this now. Time this creature got what he deserves. He needs to be made to pay for every smirk as well.

I agree that the Judge was seriously unimpressive.

However, I do think it sends out mixed messages, on the one hand, for the State to do everything possible to emphasise the serious criminality of OP's conduct, but then, on the other, to proceed to agree to a lighweight punishment like house arrest.

I wonder what the SCA makes of this outcome, after it took such pains to hold OP accountable.

Perhaps, as you say, Nel was in a difficult position. I presume that he may have been trying to avoid the prospect of an order for costs against the State, which might have happened, had there been a fully contested, but, ultimately unsuccessful, bail application.

What is absolutely certain is that justice is not being seen to be done. IMO, this outcome is an insult to Reeva's parents - the message being that their daughter's life wasn't even worth a couple of years of OP's.

It was good to see Mr. Pistorius a little bit brighter than when he was in trial. It would be good to see him get stronger emotionally as he has now had sufficient time to mourn the loss of Reeva Steenkamp and come to terms with his hand in her unfortunate demise.

It was obvious that a broken medicated and remorseful Mr. Pistorius was unable to properly defend himself against a rabid prosecutor in the first trial.

With Mr. Pistorius now studying law and appreciating his hard work ethic and considering the free time he will have to study and learn, I believe he will be bringing much litigation against people both in the court system and those who defamed him in the press and on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni