"The Note"

They told mew they have done everything that can be done with the phone number. But why is there a G infront of the first Caroline on the note?

They told mew they have done everything that can be done with the phone number. But why is there a G infront of the first Caroline on the note?
I thought that was an arrow, indicating that it was that Caroline's phone number.

My question is: has it been considered that our Grateful Dead Fan might not be Jason? Maybe he had been with someone named Jason, and the Carolines had given him that note to give to Jason? I mean, I'm sure in 18 years someone has had that thought, I just haven't seen anything about it. Thanks.

My question is: has it been considered that our Grateful Dead Fan might not be Jason? .[/QUOTE]

If his name was Jason, they must have left the note somewhere (where?) for him, because they wouldn't have written his name on the note if he was standing next to them.
Maybe someone else gave him the note from them, if his name was indeed Jason.
Maybe he was going to give the note to someone else named Jason?
Maybe he was wearing someone elses jeans?
Maybe he took the note knowing that it was for someone else?

So many questions!

If his name was Jason, they must have left the note somewhere (where?) for him, because they wouldn't have written his name on the note if he was standing next to them.
Maybe someone else gave him the note from them, if his name was indeed Jason.
Maybe he was going to give the note to someone else named Jason?
Maybe he was wearing someone elses jeans?
Maybe he took the note knowing that it was for someone else?

So many questions!

i agree with you. the most plausible scenarios involving the note are 1) he is jason and they left a note somewhere for him, likely wherever they were supposed to meet, 2) they gave him a note to give to jason. they may not have known doe's name but may have known that he knew jason.

sure there are other scenarios but imo they're less likely than one of those two. i don't think he gave them a fake name and i don't think they gave him a fake name, it just doesn't make sense especially when we haven't eliminated any of the likely scenarios.

considering he ended up hitchhiking with someone he seemingly didn't know, who wasn't at the show he had tickets for, i'd assume our doe didn't show up where he was supposed to be. it just seems unlikely to me, even given the bohemian tendencies of gd fans, that he wouldn't have had a better plan after the concert than walking down the highway with no money or identification. my guess is he was supposed to meet up with his ride at some point (and likely also the carolines) and didn't show up at the rendezvous point so they left without him.

the most pressing question to me, given the length of time, is what happened to his stuff? he didn't travel far with a lighter, four quarters, and ticket stubs. did he leave his stuff with the people he was getting a ride from? was he robbed? did his stuff end up in the parking lot on the ground? somewhere out there should be this guy's bag with clothes, id, money, etc and in eighteen years someone should have noticed something. i'm sure it's highly likely his stuff could have ended up in rfk's lost and found and been dumped two months later but still, there is a lot of questions in my mind simply about what brought this guy to the point that he was walking around with nothing to sustain him for more than a few hours?

The following scenario occured to me.

He came to the concert alone.

At some point he was robbed, and possibly roughed up. With the catastrophic injuries in the accident, any injuries from a previous assault would be impossible to discern.

He may have been wandering around and ran into Michael Hager. In an act of kindness, Hager took him under his wing, driving him heaven knows where. (We have no idea where J.D. was going).

The fact he never reported a robbery (if my scenario were the case); to the police was because he didn't want to be found out as a runaway or for a crime he committed. He was off society's radar, and thus has not been identified since.

This may explain why Hager was "stuck" with him for such a long time. It would be difficult to ditch a broke, possibly somewhat injured man.

Also, a robber may try to deliberately get rid of stolen property so as to not tie them to the crime. Or, they would keep anything valuable, So, in either case, it would never show up in public again, like it would if it were simply lost.

It may also suggest why he was drifting around with nothing of value on him after the concert, with no way of getting food, shelter or transportation out of the area.

Of course, this is just a theory, and I may be totally wrong.

However, it is hard to figure out how an unidentified man materializes out of nowhere, and ends up in someone's car, with seemingly no previous connection between the two.

*Unverified*

According to a reddit user on the unresolved subreddit about Grateful Dead Fan someone has been in contact with one of the Caroline's.

<modsnip>

This user created this account for the sole purpose of adding this and has not added any additional info and didn't respond to someone who asked for more info. I asked if they had any more info and gave them the link for this forum. *Unverified*

*Unverified*

According to a reddit user on the unresolved subreddit about Grateful Dead Fan someone has been in contact with one of the Caroline's.
<modsnip>

If I am not mistaken, didn't Jason's autopsy report indicate that his system was clean of any drugs?
Anyways, if true, then I wonder how he was getting by with no resources? He sounds like a newbie on the scene.

That is correct. No alcohol or drugs detected during the autopsy.

I have been to a few music festivals..Lots of people come without extra clothing etc. They usually spend most if not all of the money they bring with them...

He probably bought food, drink, a shirt and balloons with what money he had...Nitrous balloons were real popular at shows...Every time I would see one being inhaled or hear the sound of one filling up I would cry a little..I don't think Nitrous Oxide shows up in drug test....unless it is specifically being looked for...

My two cents...If they are withholding information that would help identify this young man..either there is more than an accident being investigated..or the case manager has an ego problem...

Classito

*Unverified*

"Just spoke to Caroline T. ~ Caroline O - I will call tonight. Name was Jason. Hair Blonder than depicted. Shoulder Length. Very high on something. Not chatty but friendly. Alone. No backpack or bag. Blue eyes. Colorful shirt. Face looks like reconstruction, hair lighter. After concert all 3 walked to what she remembered to be a golf course with hundreds of other concert goers. Jason fell asleep, girls left at 7:00 am when sun was rising and left him that note in case he found himself in that area again - they wanted him to look them up. No accent that she could remember. That's it. Thinks he was heading to another concert."

This user created this account for the sole purpose of adding this and has not added any additional info and didn't respond to someone who asked for more info. I asked if they had any more info and gave them the link for this forum. *Unverified*

IMO, this was their perception of Jason, maybe since they just met him they assumed he was on drugs, maybe this was just his nature...

If you read my interview with the detective, you will find that the news reports that the note was in the John Doe's pocket are incorrect. It was found outside the vehicle, per the detective, and may not even be connected to the case.

If you read my interview with the detective, you will find that the news reports that the note was in the John Doe's pocket are incorrect. It was found outside the vehicle, per the detective, and may not even be connected to the case.

can you link me to the interview? playing catch up :)

I've been silently following this case for years and try to keep up. I am a bit in shock that the letter wasn't found in Grateful Doe's pocket. I always thought that was a confirmed detail.

I read your article the other day (thanks, by the way) and it was a bit of a :banghead::banghead: moment when I got to that bit. So disappointing to find out that what could've been an important clue may in fact be entirely unconnected.

The second name on the note looks like "Carmine" to me. It's definitely different from the first name.

hi, all.

i am new to the site so please excuse any mistakes!

i have been following this case since i first saw it on unsolved mysteries. i recently got back into looking into it when the new likeness of jason doe that came out earlier this year.

when cases are so hard to crack, i often wonder if some of the "facts" of the case that we are working from are wrong. this brings me to the note found with jason.

i have always heard and read that the note reads, at the end:

Caroline T.
and
Caroline O

i have studied the note and i think this is not what it reads. i believe it reads:

Caroline T.
and
Caroline D

when i look at the note (linked below) i notice this about the O/D after the second "Caroline":

- it seems to have a vertical portion on the left.
- the vertical portion is the "closed" with an arc from top to bottom.

this is not how any of the other "o's" on the note are made. in other words in the note like "to" and "go," the writer seems to trace over part of the letter in order to continue to the next letter. they seems to write from 7 or 8 o'clock to 12 back counterclockwise past 6 past 12 and then on to the next letter, if that makes sense.

so, i took the best resolution image of the note that i could find (here) and i showed it to a handwriting expert who has over 25 years experience in handwriting analysis, question documents, forgery, etc. this person had never heard of the case, had never seen the note, etc.

i did NOT tell this person what i thought the note read or what conventional wisdom thought it read (Caroline O). i simply said, take a look and tell me what you think the "signatures" on the bottom are.

the expert said that it read: Caroline D

i've spoken to the medical examiner's office. they do not have the note as it resides with the state police, as far as they know. they do not have a higher resolution copy of it.

do any of you know of a higher res image? i am guessing the images we have seen on the web are from the unsolved mysteries episode.

the handwriting expert is happy to look at the note again if we find a better image.

forgive me if this has been discussed before. i haven't seen mention of it anywhere on the web.

i look forward to your comments and insights.

njf520

I am curious, did the expert say anything else about the handwriting? Like, if they gave fake names, or a fake number, would that sort of deceit be evident. I understand the note might not be linked at all-but until anything is proven, it remains a possible clue. I wonder if the note was checked for fingerprints? Surely if it was Doe's, his would be on it, and the author's? That is, if any were "liftable"...And, if so, I wonder if they could be cross checked in a current database. This many years later, the author could have been arrested at some point, or perhaps has prints on file for a job?

Hello,

I have been a very long time lurker and it is only now, that I decided to register and perhaps join in the discussion.

The note is very blurred and I don't have the best eyesight in the world, but is it possible that the name is not Jason but in fact Jaron, Jadon or something to that effect? I know that it is not a common name, and it is a long shot..but just thought that I would give my 2 cents FWIW. Also the second name to me looks like Corrine D or Cathrine D as well, instead of Caroline. Anyway, I never knew that the note was not found in Jason Doe's pocket, so we all may well have been barking up the wrong tree, what a disappointment :(

The drawing intrigues me. My guess is whoever wrote the note (whether it is to Doe or someone else) used this drawing or similar ones at the end of every note they wrote. Someone should be able to recognise it, but it's unlikely those people will ever see it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back