Amanda Knox tried for the murder of Meredith Kercher in Italy *NEW TRIAL*#12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this, Otto-- so perhaps Hendry based his synopsis on these various notations?

I would think so. If he states that there were injuries on both elbows, then his statement is consistent with the contents of the Massei Report.

In case anyone doesn't know about this ... It's easy to search the report if you know what you are looking for. If the search function is not visible, type CONTROL F (on a PC). That brings up the search feature (tiny little dialogue box). Type the word you're looking for, make sure that it's highlighted, press enter to jump to the next instance of it in the document.

In the Massei Report, page 122 mentions injuries to the right elbow, and page 136 mentions injuries to the left elbow.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/si...ttachments/MasseiReportEnglishTranslation.pdf

"[134] He then proceeded to describe the two bruised areas present on the left elbow of the victim, and with regard to these, he stated that these were not marks caused by restraining, but hypostatic stains. But since he could not absolutely exclude that they might be bruises stemming from an effort of the victim to defend herself, he noted that the fact that they were present only on the left forearm at the level of the elbow would mean that the forearm remained free, making it difficult to attribute the bruises to the fact of having been restrained."

IMO, the bruises on her elbows which seem to be much lighter than the bruises on her chin and face, were caused by the shoulders of her hoodie jacket being pulled down over her arms to the elbow area. Please try it before laughing at me.

I put on a jersey hoodie, zipped halfway up. With the shoulders pulled down around my elbows, I could only move my forearms, could almost reach my neck but not quite. I stopped before the jacket tore, but there was definitely pressure on my skin at the inside of the elbow area.

If nothing else had happened, sure, she would have been able to wriggle free of the jacket, but it would have been an effective restraint while a hand was clamped over her face, her hair was being pulled back, etc. all those horrible things.

If her arms had been restrained by someone else's hands, the bruises would have been deeper, more like the bruises on her face. IMO

In the Massei Report, page 122 mentions injuries to the right elbow, and page 136 mentions injuries to the left elbow.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/si...ttachments/MasseiReportEnglishTranslation.pdf

Left elbow is described as hypostatic stains, very unlikely to be bruises from struggle.

He then proceeded to describe the two bruised areas present on the left elbow of the victim, and with regard to these, he stated that these were not marks caused by restraining, but hypostatic stains. But since he could not absolutely exclude that they might be bruises stemming from an effort of the victim to defend herself, he noted that the fact that they were present only on the left forearm at the level of the elbow would mean that the forearm remained free, making it difficult to attribute the bruises to the fact of having been restrained.

Restraining bruises are much more likely to be located at wrists or forearms.

I would think so. If he states that there were injuries on both elbows, then his statement is consistent with the contents of the Massei Report.

In case anyone doesn't know about this ... It's easy to search the report if you know what you are looking for. If the search function is not visible, type CONTROL F (on a PC). That brings up the search feature (tiny little dialogue box). Type the word you're looking for, make sure that it's highlighted, press enter to jump to the next instance of it in the document.
Thanks for that - and also for this info, Otto! :loveyou:

Left elbow is described as hypostatic stains, very unlikely to be bruises from struggle.

Restraining bruises are much more likely to be located at wrists or forearms.
There was bruising on one of her forearms.

"[134] He then proceeded to describe the two bruised areas present on the left elbow of the victim, and with regard to these, he stated that these were not marks caused by restraining, but hypostatic stains. But since he could not absolutely exclude that they might be bruises stemming from an effort of the victim to defend herself, he noted that the fact that they were present only on the left forearm at the level of the elbow would mean that the forearm remained free, making it difficult to attribute the bruises to the fact of having been restrained."

IMO, the bruises on her elbows which seem to be much lighter than the bruises on her chin and face, were caused by the shoulders of her hoodie jacket being pulled down over her arms to the elbow area. Please try it before laughing at me.

I put on a jersey hoodie, zipped halfway up. With the shoulders pulled down around my elbows, I could only move my forearms, could almost reach my neck but not quite. I stopped before the jacket tore, but there was definitely pressure on my skin at the inside of the elbow area.

If nothing else had happened, sure, she would have been able to wriggle free of the jacket, but it would have been an effective restraint while a hand was clamped over her face, her hair was being pulled back, etc. all those horrible things.

If her arms had been restrained by someone else's hands, the bruises would have been deeper, more like the bruises on her face. IMO
That's an interesting experiment. But if she still had her jacket on, perhaps the bruising would be lighter if she had been restrained at the elbows?

That's an interesting experiment. But if she still had her jacket on, perhaps the bruising would be lighter if she had been restrained at the elbows?

I think someone's fingers would leave more distinct marks even through fabric. From the quotes, the witness doesn't want to commit to whether it's bruising or hypostatic stains.

Struggling against fabric pulled tight would result in a more diffuse bruising, IMO.

Bruises from being hit in the face and bruises from having an arms restrained should not appear to be the same. Could bruises from having a hand pushed into the mouth and nose appear the same as restraint bruising on arms?

Meredith's mouth and nose were covered, which would naturally result in a struggle. There was strangling. She was stabbed with two knives from two different directions (left and right). There are almost no defensive wounds.

Let's suppose that her arms were restrained by her clothing, her breathing was obstructed with one hand of an attacker, in the other hand is a large knife. Meredith is fighting back, trying to breath, and perhaps she was pushed, or she fell, into the knife, which only penetrates half way down the knife. Perhaps she stopped struggling at this point?

Does the attacker then put down one knife, switch hands, pick up a smaller knife, carve small cuts and stab her again? Unless we throw out the medical report ... all of it ... not just the inconvenient part that two knives were used, why would one attacker use two different knifes and attack from two directions?

I have read about some very unusual experiments done by sleuthers that are trying to figure out how physical injuries occurred, or clothing appeared a certain way.

If the hoodie is half zipped and suppose the hood is pulled down to restrain the arms, what prevents anyone from simply stretching the fabric in whatever way is necessary to have arm movement? Wouldn't the zipper simply unzip more, or the fabric stretch and tear ... especially in a life or death situation?

I have read about some very unusual experiments done by sleuthers that are trying to figure out how physical injuries occurred, or clothing appeared a certain way.

This isn't that unusual. I see jackets being used as quick temporary restraint like that all the time in movies or on TV.

Bruises from being hit in the face and bruises from having an arms restrained should not appear to be the same. Could bruises from having a hand pushed into the mouth and nose appear the same as restraint bruising on arms?

Meredith's mouth and nose were covered, which would naturally result in a struggle. There was strangling. She was stabbed with two knives from two different directions (left and right). There are almost no defensive wounds.

Let's suppose that her arms were restrained by her clothing, her breathing was obstructed with one hand of an attacker, in the other hand is a large knife. Meredith is fighting back, trying to breath, and perhaps she was pushed, or she fell, into the knife, which only penetrates half way down the knife. Perhaps she stopped struggling at this point?

Does the attacker then put down one knife, switch hands, pick up a smaller knife, carve small cuts and stab her again? Unless we throw out the medical report ... all of it ... not just the inconvenient part that two knives were used, why would one attacker use two different knifes and attack from two directions?
There is no clear evidence of strangulation. No bruising typical for strangulation.

All the wounds are compatible with one thin knife 8cm long. Making stab wounds on left and right front side of the neck is entirely possible with just one attacker holding her from behind.

There would be much struggle if we assume she was not incapacitated or subdued or submissive while the stabbing commenced. After the stabs it's possible that the shock and pain incapacitated her.

To add to the jacket discussion, the jacket was found with both of the arms inside out. That would suggest that someone was pulling on the jacket that was not Meredith.

MOO

If the hoodie is half zipped and suppose the hood is pulled down to restrain the arms, what prevents anyone from simply stretching the fabric in whatever way is necessary to have arm movement? Wouldn't the zipper simply unzip more, or the fabric stretch and tear ... especially in a life or death situation?

That is what I thought and why I tried it. My jacket is quite stretchy, but I couldn't move my upper arms at all which really limited how much I could move my forearms. As I said, if nothing else had been going on, the jacket in itself would not hold one forever; but temporarily during an attack, it would give a single attacker more freedom with their hands.

This isn't that unusual. I see jackets being used as quick temporary restraint like that all the time in movies or on TV.
You certainly can restrain someone with their own clothing, not just in movies I would say.

To add to the jacket discussion, the jacket was found with both of the arms inside out. That would suggest that someone was pulling on the jacket that was not Meredith.

MOO

Which is exactly how the jacket would end up if it was removed after the attack after being used in this way. Wasn't Rudy's dna found on the jacket?

A hoodie is not a jacket. It's very stretchy cloth. Zippers are not that strong, especially on a hoodie, and a half unzipped zipper should more easily unzip more. I believe that arms could temporarily be restrained with a stretchy hoodie, but I'm not inclined to believe that the hoodie would then create a permanent restraint that results in bruising. I don't know, but it seems to me that lifting up one's arms would solve the problem of the hoodie restraint.

A hoodie is not a jacket. It's very stretchy cloth. Zippers are not that strong, especially on a hoodie, and a half unzipped zipper should more easily unzip more. I believe that arms could temporarily be restrained with a stretchy hoodie, but I'm not inclined to believe that the hoodie would then create a permanent restraint that results in bruising. I don't know, but it seems to me that lifting up one's arms would solve the problem of the hoodie restraint.

Then I would suggest that you haven't tried it as I did, with a stretchy hoodie. For one thing, the zipper got folded over when I pulled the shoulders over my arms so there was no pressure on the opening part of the zipper. You cannot lift your arms away from your body in this situation. Trying to do so caused some pain to the areas inside my elbows and I obviously wasn't going to take it farther than that.

It was not a hoodie. It was a thick cotton jacket with rather tight sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member