GUILTY NC - Eve Carson, 22, UNC student, shot to death, Chapel Hill, 5 March 2008 - #2

Hi, otto :seeya:-- Long time no "see"! Are you here for the duration?? Are you fairly up-to-date on this case?

I have been watching the trial this morning. I remember this so well as my daughter was also a senior at UNC and only lived blocks away from Eve. What a wonderful, smart, and giving person she was at such a young age. Contrast that with the criminal life and utter lack of remorse of those involved in her death. It has always haunted me that she chose to stay home to study rather than go out that night....a choice that would seem to be a wise choice and ended in such terror. I feel so sad for her family and friends as I watch this trial.

Hi, Lori - Seems like I remember you mentioning -- on another WS case -- that your daughter was there at the time Eve was at UNC as well. I'm close by here in Raleigh and I remember when it happened.

I have several cousins who grew up in C. Hill, went to school at UNC, and I spent a lot of time at their house each summer while we were all growing up. I had many friends at Carolina when I was at school at NC State. I know the town well, and my aunt & uncle, with whom I stayed those summers, had good friends on Hillcrest Road or Circle, and they had a daughter with whom I went to play. Eerie.

During the trial today, when the camera was away from the jury area, and focused on the defendant, &(%^%$, I kept thinking, "You (allegedly) had already killed one person (an up-and-coming very intelligent researcher -- Duke University recruited him from his native country -- very outstanding & full of promise) when you (allegedly) helped kidnap, rob, terrorize and kill this fine, promising young woman. And you're just sitting there like you could be watching a TV show. Did you ever care about anything or anyone in your life??

Unimaginable and inconceivable. He may well have been a cute little 3-year old once. What happens to these people? What is it inside them? Or is it something that is missing?

Will the defense put on a case, or are they just going for the one juror?

This one seems so personal to me. Maybe because it's so close to home. Yes, this one has got its hooks in me...Grrrrrr.....

watched trial, defence will be no forensics tie him to murder, even though his DNA is in her car, that many of the state witnesses are criminals who are liars and want to gain something from testimony,

and basically he is innocent,

this is one of those cases that makes me think of how that line between thinking we are safe and secure is very fine, it amongst other cases made me up my personal and house security, Eve was doing what students all over the world do when she was kidnapped and then murdered,

I like the prosecution, the defence appears up for a fight, and the defendant has been prepped for court, suited and booted and playing the old fashioned gent by holding his defence attys chair for her,

defence is also throwing friends and family of the co defendant under the bus, and the co defendant who has pled guilty did it all

defence is also throwing friends and family of the co defendant under the bus, and the co defendant who has pled guilty did it all

They're gonna need a bigger bus.... The judge is going to allow evidence/testimony about the Abhijit Mahato (murdered Duke grad student) death.

And yes, joe, I agree -- the defendant's DNA in her car may be a bit of a prob...

They're gonna need a bigger bus.... The judge is going to allow evidence/testimony about the Abhijit Mahato (murdered Duke grad student) death.

And yes, joe, I agree -- the defendant's DNA in her car may be a bit of a prob...

I am looking forward to seeing which approach his defence will take with the witnesses, I wonder if they will choose to go hard or to go soft and try to make them trip themselves up

I couldn't get a read on his defence atty who gave openings as to whether she is attack and aggressive or polite and sneaky and gets under witnesses skin, but felt she did a good job, and for me she captured my attention and I warmed to her so I wonder if she is known for connecting with and convincing jurors that her argument is the correct version of events

I also think the prosecutor did a good job, and think he was very good at questioning his witnesses, clear and concise with his questions which allowed the witnesses especially the cop witnesses to paint a very clear picture of responding to the 911 call of shots fired and female scream heard, to the finding of the body

the jury now have a clear understanding of how she was found,

Hi everyone! I am so glad to see you all are following along in remembrance of Eve. I am just down the road in ILM.

borndem, I snipped this from your above post. Hope that's ok;)

Unimaginable and inconceivable. He may well have been a cute little 3-year old once. What happens to these people? What is it inside them? Or is it something that is missing?

JMO. What is missing for many is a father. I worked in the public school system before retiring in '08. I worked one on one with at risk children who were bussed from the inner city, all AA. I keep up with my former students. Two of these students were killed in crime related deaths, one is serving 30 years for assaulting and raping 2 women and another is serving life for murder. Not one of these students that I worked so closely with had a father in their life. Heck, we would either make a home visit or pay for a cab for mom to come to the school for conferences. I think environmental factors certainly have an impact on why these kids go bad. Sad.

BTW, I watched a documentary on HBO about the rivalry between UNC and Duke and it showed the tribute to Eve by the basketball teams. It was very touching. If your are a basketball fan, I highly recommend it.

I hope Lovette gets what he deserves. I will be forever haunted by the photo of him at the atm withdrawing Eve's money. I enlarged it and discovered Eve's face in a reflection in the back passenger window where she was being held by the other . I am sickened when I think of the terror those two committed against her.

I just wanted to check in and say thanks for the updates and the links. I am going to have a good cry now and say a prayer for Eve's family and for justice to be served.

wm

http://www.wral.com/

the live link, plus they have archives of much of the testimony if you miss the live link, and an excellent archive of material pertaining to the case

Defense is trying desperately to discredit this witness.

I have looked in my rearview mirror at times when driving away from others who are driving erratically, suspicious people who have followed me out of a parking lot, etc.

This young woman did the absolute right thing to drive away. Kudos for her for being so observant. Can you imagine the outcome if she had left the safety of her vehicle and attempted to return to the sorority house? No way I would have exited my vehicle!

JMO
wm

Ugh...no audio. Is anyone else having this problem? Video is fine.

I will be forever haunted by the photo of him at the atm withdrawing Eve's money. I enlarged it and discovered Eve's face in a reflection in the back passenger window where she was being held by the other . I am sickened when I think of the terror those two committed against her.

wm

Thats interesting. Is that photo still available? I'd like to see it.

Defense is trying desperately to discredit this witness.

I have looked in my rearview mirror at times when driving away from others who are driving erratically, suspicious people who have followed me out of a parking lot, etc.

This young woman did the absolute right thing to drive away. Kudos for her for being so observant. Can you imagine the outcome if she had left the safety of her vehicle and attempted to return to the sorority house? No way I would have exited my vehicle!

JMO
wm

I am not able to follow this trial live. What testimony was this referring to? Was there another near-victim?

I am not able to follow this trial live. What testimony was this referring to? Was there another near-victim?

Yes, a young woman was in her car in a parking lot next to her sorority house arguing with her boyfriend on the cell phone. The S house was close to Friendly lane. While sitting in her car talking to her bf she noticed (thru her rear view mirror) 2 AA men standing in the parking lot and looking at her. She then exited the parking lot and drove to bf's because she was unnerved by this incident. This occured before Eve was kidnapped.....

The defense contested the jury hearing this testimony so the jury was sent out for 20 mins while both sides questioned the witness. the judge allowed the testimony.

wm

Hi everyone! I am so glad to see you all are following along in remembrance of Eve. I am just down the road in ILM.

borndem, I snipped this from your above post. Hope that's ok;)

JMO. What is missing for many is a father. I worked in the public school system before retiring in '08. I worked one on one with at risk children who were bussed from the inner city, all AA. I keep up with my former students. Two of these students were killed in crime related deaths, one is serving 30 years for assaulting and raping 2 women and another is serving life for murder. Not one of these students that I worked so closely with had a father in their life. Heck, we would either make a home visit or pay for a cab for mom to come to the school for conferences. I think environmental factors certainly have an impact on why these kids go bad. Sad.

BTW, I watched a documentary on HBO about the rivalry between UNC and Duke and it showed the tribute to Eve by the basketball teams. It was very touching. If your are a basketball fan, I highly recommend it.

I hope Lovette gets what he deserves. I will be forever haunted by the photo of him at the atm withdrawing Eve's money. I enlarged it and discovered Eve's face in a reflection in the back passenger window where she was being held by the other . I am sickened when I think of the terror those two committed against her.

I just wanted to check in and say thanks for the updates and the links. I am going to have a good cry now and say a prayer for Eve's family and for justice to be served.

wm

Good to hear from you, w'matilda! Thanks for your insights from your experience with the high-risk students. Yes, so many young children are at such a disadvantage when no father is in the house -- provided that he is a good, caring father, that is. Without a (good) father, there is no income from that missing person, and no male role model to love and parent these children. All they know is the female, from the home and from the classroom, in most cases.

From where we are so far, it looks like the prosecution team has a tight case against Lovette, but I'm getting so wrapped up in this one, I'm almost afraid to say anything more. His DNA in her car (from what source? spit? skin particles? a sneeze? what?); surveillance film in the neighborhood, IIRC; his pictures on the ATM cameras; his own words to friends; etc., etc. And he just sits there.

Her lifeblood, oozing out of her head onto a dirty asphalt city street... And they just drove away and discarded her like a used-up hamburger wrapper, never another thought of her, but eager to get more of her money at some other ATM somewhere. Just grinning and feeling cocky and newly-rich. Little rich white sorority girl.... But she would surely "talk" about them later... And she will have the last word....just that one good word, I hope, I hope, I hope....:crossfingers:

mini-rant ends here... :rant:

:justice:

The atm video was just shown in court. It clearly shows Eve facing AWAY from the camera. I'll see if I can google it.

I've seen the ATM photo where you can just tell there is someone in the backseat. But I never saw a photo that was in a good enough format to be able to see Eve.

Yes, a young woman was in her car in a parking lot next to her sorority house arguing with her boyfriend on the cell phone. The S house was close to Friendly lane. While sitting in her car talking to her bf she noticed (thru her rear view mirror) 2 AA men standing in the parking lot and looking at her. She then exited the parking lot and drove to bf's because she was unnerved by this incident. This occured before Eve was kidnapped.....

The defense contested the jury hearing this testimony so the jury was sent out for 20 mins while both sides questioned the witness. the judge allowed the testimony.

wm

Wow that is scary. Had she stayed there another minute she likely would have never lived to see the sun rise. How many times in our lives do so nearly cross paths with evil and often times never even know it?

I've seen the ATM photo where you can just tell there is someone in the backseat. But I never saw a photo that was in a good enough format to be able to see Eve.

Same here, PrairieWind -- I can barely make out someone else in the backseat behind the driver, but I could not say at all if it's a male or female. I would really like to see a clearer picture showing Eve, or at least more detail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back