NC - Irina 'Ira' Yarmolenko, 20, murdered, Mount Holly, 5 May 2008 *previously GUILTY*Charges Dropped*

This is a clip from the latest article....

A wrecked car in a lonely spot by the Catawba River; a young woman's lifeless body on the ground; signs of a possible struggle nearby.
Images of the mystery still float in the minds of Dennis Lovelace and his girlfriend Brenda Pierce.

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/626457.html

Just posting it because there seems to be some confusion. No car or body found in the river.

That supports my theory even more. I thought the front of the car seemed to be sitting on the water's edge probably due to the mud. I knew she wasn't found in the water. She was beside the doors with the driver's door opened on the bank.

That supports my theory even more. I thought the front of the car seemed to be sitting on the water's edge probably due to the mud. I knew she wasn't found in the water. She was beside the doors with the driver's door opened on the bank.

Correct and apparantly the rear door on the drivers side was open as well. I think maybe she went to go for a run in a remote area or a secluded park along the river, I have friends who do that all the time. I stick to parks close to my home and never go alone. With it being mid morning during the week probably not a lot of other people around. Some people like to run places where there are not a lot of people they like the solitude, me I prefer safety in numbers. I am leaning towards her going for a run along the river (still want to know if they found her in running apparel) and somone hopped into her backseat either just as she got there or was leaving.

My aunt lives in Clover SC...not far from Charlotte. She is scared to death (even before this murder) about my daughter attending college this fall in Charlotte. She says college students who live in apartments are being targeted for break-ins by people who think if they are rich enough to go to college, they must have a lot of valuables to steal. She says it is getting worse and worse.

That is the only article I have found that says the rear passenger door was open. I wonder if it is accurate. Even on the videos, it is closed with the driver's door open.

A jet skier on the Catawba River spotted Yarmolenko's body around 1:15 p.m. Monday. She was in the grass next to the open door of her 1998 Saturn, which had crashed into a tree stump at the water's edge.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4818800&page=1 (Bolded by me)

So a stump kept the car from rolling into the water. Makes sense.

My aunt lives in Clover SC...not far from Charlotte. She is scared to death (even before this murder) about my daughter attending college this fall in Charlotte. She says college students who live in apartments are being targeted for break-ins by people who think if they are rich enough to go to college, they must have a lot of valuables to steal. She says it is getting worse and worse.
They mentioned this on one of the news channels yesterday. I believe it was from a reporter with the college newspaper citing the rise in break-ins and robberies near the campus.

Yeah, the crime rate on and around colleges seems to be going up. Wonder why? Maybe as the economy gets worse the have nots look at those they assume have and feel like someone owes them something. Ahh, thank you to those who preach class envy. (where is that sarcasm button....)

Police issue surveillance video of slain woman

UNCC student was at Goodwill

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/627087.html

Okay 1st, that is a lot of stuff for a college kid to be dropping off. Maybe she collected it from friends.

2nd, it is scary how much her routine that day mimics mine sometimes....goodwill, secu, jacksons java (fuel for me) then on to the rest of my day. :(

Wonder if this was random,,,,

Yeah, the crime rate on and around colleges seems to be going up. Wonder why? Maybe as the economy gets worse the have nots look at those they assume have and feel like someone owes them something. Ahh, thank you to those who preach class envy. (where is that sarcasm button....)

Yeah, where is that sarcasm button? Those who teach that should be ashamed.

They mentioned this on one of the news channels yesterday. I believe it was from a reporter with the college newspaper citing the rise in break-ins and robberies near the campus.

I need to find that to show my daughter. She just rolls her eyes when I say anything.

>Bump!<

I am surprised nobody's even discussed this case. It is an odd one.

I need to find that to show my daughter. She just rolls her eyes when I say anything.

Hi Deb. I have lived in University City for over 9 years and I have never once not felt safe (at least not here, other parts of the city wellllllll). Anyway, as long as she practices here what she should practice anywhere, even her own home, she should be okay here. We are nice folks. There are several places near the college where she could take martial arts classes for self defense training. If would be fun and informative and she could take it with her roommates.

Armand..they were talking about this case on the Crimes In The News thread.

I am familar with the area and I have to say, all her travels were within campus. Goodwill down one one side of UNCC (do I have that right?), the bank *maybe* 1.5 miles away opposite direction, and coffee shop where she worked across the street...yep, 4 lanes apart with a median in between.

What I am wondering is what if she met someone who was a "regular" at Jackson's Java and perhaps they asked for a ride? It must of been someone she was comfortable with. Perhaps they asked her to drive them towards WT Harris Blvd. It is literally just a hop away in the car and there are a plethora of shopping areas. All on this one route.

Route 85 is just down the road and if she drove further she would of hit Route 77.

She trusted someone. If this was a stranger abduction I have no doubt she would have made a scene especially where she was last seen. Of course, all that said we have no idea what possible evidence they have found within the car. It does sound like she fought given what the outside area of the car has been described as.

Over powered and strangled. No offense to the men here, but it sounds like a guy who had every intention of getting whatever he wanted from her.

I do not see it as a robbery, carjacking, or even to attempt to rape her. This was a personal murder of this young lady. I think totally personal. I think she knew him.

SewingDeb, I have kdis myself so I understand your worries with your daughter. They tend to think at that age that they are invinceable..which we know they are not. My advice is to buy her a book on keeping her self safe and make her PROMISE to read it AND practice the safety rules. I am sure she will. And of course pray for her safety...and I will do the same. I honestly don't know how people get by in this world w/o God...He will never forsake us. We just have to give our worries and troubles to him..easier said than done, I know but we must work diligently on it.

The Goodwill video didn't seem unusual to me. Just that I got upset knowing it was her last few hours. I did see another man creep into the last seconds on the lower left but her car was already out of range for this man to attempt to hitch a ride.

The only other thing I can think of is her car wasn't locked after she left Goodwill and stopped at a stop light and some freak jumped in the back seat.He could have had a gun to her head and told her way to drive and it was a robbery gone bad.I don't think she necessarily knew the person. This seems random to me but I may be wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back