Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #9 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted, but for those Uncle Ruslan fans (and others as well), I thought you'd appreciate it. Although the title says 'Muslims', it can apply to any group, organization, or community. A very good read.

bbm

Muslims have a problem. Uncle Ruslan may have the answer.

....“Uncle Ruslan” proved that folks can handle nuance. “It was wild, dramatic, angry, over-the-top,” wrote Washington Post blogger Alexandra Petri. She added: “People like Uncle Ruslan remind us that it’s the apples, not the barrel.”

She concluded: “Thank you. This was a moment we all needed.”....

....To me, the answer lies inside a culture shift where we honestly acknowledge the radicalization problems within our communities—so that no Uncle Ruslan has to step outside his home, confessing to something gone very, very wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-11e2-b6fd-ba6f5f26d70e_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Sorry have no link for that. Wondering if someone else here had heard anything about that or has some thoughts.

Nobody knows who Misha is. Ghost, no digital footprint which means he's either very scary or not very good at self promotion in the modern age

Too many links to terrorist activity to be benign. He has to be involved with some other group. How many lone terrorist are there that are so radicalized, travel to areas of terrorism, twice removed from other terrorists, etc?? Not just some lone nut job

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I don't know... I think there's a good chance there are more people involved in this than TT and DT, but his being "twice removed" from known terrorists doesn't strike me as a smoking gun. We know that TT had become radical; it stands to reason that he would have had some interaction with other people with similar views, some of whom would also be involved in terrorism. I don't think it is enough to assume that this bombing was linked to a larger group.

Frankly, once we start playing six degrees of separation, even totally innocent people can wind up pretty close to some unsavory people. I live in Cambridge. I'm sure if I polled my acquaintances, I'd learn that I have connections to people who know DT, or at least people who know people who know him.

Nobody knows who Misha is. Ghost, no digital footprint which means he's either very scary or not very good at self promotion in the modern age
Or that is not his name.

Here's the thing for me: Russia's Federal Security Service asked the FBI to look into Tamerlan Tsarnaev back in 2011. From this article:

The FBI opened an investigation of Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 at the behest of Russian officials who expressed concern that he was becoming radicalized and could be planning an attack in Russia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d426de-addb-11e2-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html

What I want to know is why Russian officials were concerned back in 2011 that Tamerlan was becoming radicalized & could have been planning an attack in Russia?

Putin may or not be posturing now, but I'm curious as to why Tamerlan was in Russia's crosshairs 2 years ago. I think there's much more to this backstory on Tamerlan & his family. Hopefully, trustworthy information will come out soon, explaining why Russia was suspicious of Tamerlan. He attracted their attention for a reason, IMO.

As it turns out, their concerns weren't unfounded, except that the terrorist attack occurred on US soil, and not Russian soil.

Nice link thanks...

The problem is the Russians don't play fair, we may never know why TT was on their radar.. they ask for help and supply zero information up front then don't respond to requests for more...

The Russians provided information that included "two possible dates of birth, his name and a possible name variant as well," the intelligence official added.

The amount of information the Russians provided is at the center of a critical look at whether the government missed signals of a man described as emerging jihadist who may have been further radicalized overseas.

The FBI investigated Tsarnaev based on the initial information from the Russians before concluding he was not a threat.

A senior U.S. official with direct knowledge of the information says "the issue with Russia is that the initial information was extremely thin."

The Russians believed he was "becoming radicalized."

"There were no details, no examples, no threads to pull," the source said. "Because of the rather light nature of the information we did go back to them and asked can you tell us more. We never heard back."

"They did not give a case report back when the United States inquired," said another source with knowledge of the investigation.

Officials have said that the FBI investigation went as far as it could based on the vague information.

"I think we did everything within our legal authority to vet this individual. When all was said and done there was nothing to link him to terrorism," a law enforcement official said.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...-investigate-tamerlan-tsarnaev-official-says/

“I’m not sure if we have any witnesses,” Cambridge police spokesman Dan Riviello said. “There was a surveillance camera at MIT that captured some information.”

The footage from that camera shows the Tsarnaev brothers approaching Collier’s cruiser from behind, he said. Police assigned to investigate Collier’s death have not interviewed Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, he said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...cer-slaying/PKbh3IdCirTC3sAXb5fo1K/story.html

That's it! thanks I looked all over for that thing...

"Webslueths the only place you end up with 8 tabs open on your browser and still can't find what you're looking for"...lol

Or that is not his name.

A guy on CNN the other night did a who's Misha piece... Said they used every from of identity finder and search on social sites etc etc etc.. every resource CNN had it's disposal and came up empty

for myself, the little research I found on the name is it's short for Mikail

But more importantly it's a euphemism for the Russian word bear "medved"
to some saying the name medved is taboo so they use "misha" instead... they feel if you say medved then you'll call out the beast and it will attack...

taken in the context we learned of the name misha it seems the mystery gets bigger...

now that i've said medved 4 times i'm going to go lock my doors

Nice link thanks...

The problem is the Russians don't play fair, we may never know why TT was on their radar.. they ask for help and supply zero information up front then don't respond to requests for more...

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...-investigate-tamerlan-tsarnaev-official-says/

FBI should have been able to investigate what he was doing in US once he came back. Sounds like they didn't even bother or didn't even know he came back because the alert expired. Why are these alerts set to expire so quickly? It doesn't make any sense.

Nice link thanks...

The Russians provided information that included "two possible dates of birth, his name and a possible name variant as well," the intelligence official added.

The amount of information the Russians provided is at the center of a critical look at whether the government missed signals of a man described as emerging jihadist who may have been further radicalized overseas.

The FBI investigated Tsarnaev based on the initial information from the Russians before concluding he was not a threat.

A senior U.S. official with direct knowledge of the information says "the issue with Russia is that the initial information was extremely thin."

The Russians believed he was "becoming radicalized."

"There were no details, no examples, no threads to pull," the source said. "Because of the rather light nature of the information we did go back to them and asked can you tell us more. We never heard back."

"They did not give a case report back when the United States inquired," said another source with knowledge of the investigation.

Officials have said that the FBI investigation went as far as it could based on the vague information.

"I think we did everything within our legal authority to vet this individual. When all was said and done there was nothing to link him to terrorism," a law enforcement official said.

I wish the unnamed sources would have been indentified. His/her names may have been withheld due to security reasons, but I always like to know my sources, so that I can determine (for myself) if they're credible or not. A 'senior US official with direct knowledge of the information' may or may not be be trying to cover his/her own *advertiser censored*, and/or the so-called sources may or may not be credible sources. IDK

I can't help but wonder why the Russian Federal Security Service would have contacted the FBI 2 years ago requesting an investigation into Tamerlan Tsarnaev (of all people) unless there was a reason. I say 'of all people', because 2 years ago, who was Tamerlan, except a 24 year old dead-beat college drop-out Russian immigrant father?

Today, 2 years later, Tamerlan Tsarnaev is a deceased alleged terrorist.

I need to know why Russia was suspicious of him back in 2011, so much so that they wanted the FBI to look into him.

If Russia's Federal Security Service has more information on Tamerlan Tsarnaev and/or anyone else who may have influenced him (including possibly his family members), they need to share it with the FBI.

Goodness gracious - a new thread!

TY Bessie for carrying over the last few posts from the previous thread. I woulda been totally lost otherwise. :)

Why was he admitted? What illness or accident?

Couldn't tell from that article whether ambulance was called last Thursday or this Thursday? Is it Thursday there already, could that be? I thought he was on his way to the US?

ETA: nevermind, I thought this was Wednesday, lol.

Couldn't tell from that article whether ambulance was called last Thursday or this Thursday? Is it Thursday there already, could that be? I thought he was on his way to the US?

This Thursday.

Carjack victim recounts his harrowing night
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...owing-night/BhQWGzarWee8MZ6KtMHJNN/story.html

The story of that night unfolds like a Tarantino movie, bursts of harrowing action laced with dark humor and dialogue absurd for its ordinariness, reminders of just how young the men in the car were. Girls, credit limits for students, the marvels of the Mercedes ML 350 and the iPhone 5, whether anyone still listens to CDs -- all were discussed by the two 26-year-olds and the 19-year-old driving around on a Thursday night.

Danny described 90 harrowing minutes, first with the younger brother following in a second car, then with both brothers in the Mercedes, where they openly discussed driving to New York, though Danny could not make out if they were planning another attack. Throughout the ordeal, he did as they asked while silently analyzing every threatened command, every overheard snatch of dialogue for clues about where and when they might kill him.

Not sure if this has been posted, but for those Uncle Ruslan fans (and others as well), I thought you'd appreciate it. Although the title says 'Muslims', it can apply to any group, organization, or community. A very good read.

bbm

Got to love Uncle Ruslan!

I wish the unnamed sources would have been indentified. His/her names may have been withheld due to security reasons, but I always like to know my sources, so that I can determine (for myself) if they're credible or not. A 'senior US official with direct knowledge of the information' may or may not be be trying to cover his/her own *advertiser censored*, and/or the so-called sources may or may not be credible sources. IDK

I can't help but wonder why the Russian Federal Security Service would have contacted the FBI 2 years ago requesting an investigation into Tamerlan Tsarnaev (of all people) unless there was a reason. I say 'of all people', because 2 years ago, who was Tamerlan, except a 24 year old dead-beat college drop-out Russian immigrant father?

I need to know why Russia was suspicious of him back in 2011, so much so that they wanted the FBI to look into him.

If Russia's Federal Security Service has more information on Tamerlan Tsarnaev and/or anyone else who may have influenced him (including possibly his family members), they need to share it with the FBI.
The Russians might not have had much specific information to offer. Maybe they were alerted by his posts on monitored websites, but nothing more. I'd like access to TT's internet activity, myself.

The odd thing to me is. First they request info from the FBI while he's in Russia, they give little to no information with the request... He's investigated, nothing turns up so the case is closed, then what was? it 10 months later the Russians ask the same thing of the CIA and supply them with the same baseless info. There's obviously something that has their attention but they won't say what.

I don't know...lol starting to feel like a Robert Ludlum novel

now the dad who was all set to come to the USA and talk is rumored to have been whisked off to the hospital. If that is true and he never makes it to the US it just affirms my remarks yesterday that dad possibly didn't feel safe speaking candidly in Russia and was coming here to tell the feds things he couldn't say at home.

This Thursday.

I know! I just realized I had my days mixed up. I do home health and usually have a patient to see on Monday, but didn't this week, so I think it just messed me up. Of course, could be a little CRS too!

cbs news has an article on potential Misha that TT knew. Sounds like TT wasn't happy with Misha anymore.
"Tamerlan writes, "You're not Mikael anymore, but you're back to being Misha, as you were before Islam. You converted to Shiism not because you truly believe in it, but because of your own whims and interests (only Allah knows what they truly are). As you entered Islam, you have exited it. [With the same ease]. You have betrayed yourself, Misha. Whatever, goodbye." "
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...arnaev-didnt-agree-with-every-misha-on-islam/

The odd thing to me is. First they request info from the FBI while he's in Russia, they give little to no information with the request... He's investigated, nothing turns up so the case is closed, then what was? it 10 months later the Russians ask the same thing of the CIA and supply them with the same baseless info. There's obviously something that has their attention but they won't say what.

I don't know...lol starting to feel like a Robert Ludlum novel

now the dad who was all set to come to the USA and talk is rumored to have been whisked off to the hospital. If that is true and he never makes it to the US it just affirms my remarks yesterday that dad possibly didn't feel safe speaking candidly in Russia and was coming here to tell the feds things he couldn't say at home.

I find it much more likely dad doesn't want to come to US.
These people are very suspicoius and do not appear to like US one bit. Maybe dad is concerned he will get arrested here.

For all anyone knows, this 'Misha' character may or may not even exist.

Has anyone from the Tsarnaev family mentioned him, besides Anzor & Zubeidat Tsarnaev?

Based on these parents' track record, I don't trust anything either one of them says.
His brother-in-law did.

Once, Khozhugov said, Misha came to the family home outside Boston and sat in the kitchen, chatting with Tamerlan for hours.

"Misha was telling him what is Islam, what is good in Islam, what is bad in Islam," said Khozhugov, who said he was present for the conversation. "This is the best religion and that's it. Mohammed said this and Mohammed said that."

"It was late, like midnight," Khozhugov said. "His father comes in and says, 'Why is Misha here so late and still in our house?' He asked it politely. Tamerlan was so much into the conversation he didn't listen."

Khozhugov said Tamerlan's mother, Zubeidat, told him not to worry.

"'Don't interrupt them,'" Khozhugov recalled the mother saying. "'They're talking about religion and good things. Misha is teaching him to be good and nice.'"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bomb-suspect-influenced-mysterious-radical

Tsarni, Tsarnaev's uncle, told CNN he was so concerned about someone brainwashing his nephew that he called a family friend in the Cambridge area to investigate.
"I said, 'Listen, do you know what is going on with that family? With my brother's family?' Then he says ... there is a person, some new convert into Islam of Armenian descent," Tsarni told CNN's Shannon Travis.

"It started (in) 2009. And it started right there, in Cambridge," Tsarni said of the friendship.

The Islamic Society of Boston told CNN Wednesday that so far no one in its network reported knowing a "Misha" who fit that description.
"We are looking for him," said spokeswoman Nichole Mossalam.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/us/boston-brainwash/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member