KS - Notorious KC child killer Sueanne Hobson finally granted parole

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Those of us midwesterners of a certain age from in or around Kansas City, or who grew up reading the Kansas City Star, will remember this one. At the time I thought this was the coldest murder I could ever imagine. It still might be.

Convicted in 1980 murder, Sueanne Hobson free on parole

Sueanne Hobson, who orchestrated the murder of her 13-year-old stepson 31 years ago, has been paroled and is living under supervision in Prairie Village.
---
Hobson was convicted in 1982 of first-degree murder and of aiding and abetting. She persuaded her 17-year-old son and his 16-year-old friend to kill Chris Hobson.

The two teens took the younger boy from Overland Park to a field in Miami County in 1980. There they forced him to dig his own shallow grave before they blasted him with shotguns.

Stranger by far was the fact that Hobson's husband Edward, the father of the dead boy, later remarried her:

Hobson was turned down for parole eight times since she became eligible in 1989. She and Edward Hobson had divorced while she was in prison but remarried in 2004. Edward Hobson, the victim’s father, testified in favor of his wife’s parole in October.

“I love the lady,” Edward Hobson told The Star at the time. “What can I say?”

Not all are pleased with the parole, especially as Hobson has moved back into the same Prairie Village home she grew up in:

Ruth Brettle testified against her release at the most recent parole hearing. She received a letter from the Department of Corrections’ Office of Victim Services dated Feb. 15, informing her of Hobson’s imminent release.
---
“I’m very, very disappointed that she be allowed to walk the streets after what she did,” Brettle said.

the rest of the story at Kansas City Star link above

what a horrible betrayal

a 13 year-old murdered by his stepmother and stepbrother and then his own father remarries the thing?

I'm disgusted

hope there's no other kids out there she has a hate on for

I guess after serving over 30 years (MO life is 30 years) they HAD to let her out. Wfgodot's article states that the accomplices were paroled years ago. With her being 68-years-old now, I guess she will also collect social security benefits as well as get medicare.

I cannot believe the father wants to have anything to do with her.

Excellent, lengthy article from the KC alternative paper the Pitch from 2003, about the Hobsons's remarriage and a look back at the infamous Kansas case (unfortunately I listed this in the title as a MO case but it occurred on the KS side):

Love Never Dies
Ed Hobson disappoints other Parents of Murdered Children.
---
Sueanne Hobson reported Christen missing. Two boys discovered his body a month later while digging for worms.

According to widely reported court testimony, Sueanne Hobson saw Christen -- a special-education student who had adjustment problems at school and acted out at home -- as a threat to her two-year-old marriage to Ed Hobson.
---

Wfgodot: That's a crazy story, thanks for posting it. I'd like to see that guy come to my POMC meeting and tell us that:)

The father should be very careful if she does come to live with him. I'm sure she will be in contact with HER son. History could repeat itself.

Anyone know where the son and friend who actually committed the crime are?

I don't know which part of this story is more disgusting, the fact that her husband remarried her after she had his son killed, OR that the 2 boys who committed the murder were released years ago, OR that they let this sicko out!

(unfortunately I listed this in the title as a MO case but it occurred on the KS side):

Just a note of thanks to the marvelous mods for changing the error in location in my original title. Everything occurred on the Kansas side of the river.

As for this woman's sentence, perhaps it's just because I always expect the worst but I'm pretty happy they were wise enough to keep her in prison for at least almost 30 years. Too frequently, as we know, murderers are freed in much less time. She was denied parole eight other times.

Not sure where the teen who pulled the trigger and the other who assisted are these days. I agree they both should have served longer terms.

I am shocked there is a thread about this case: I just watched a show on Evil Stepmothers about this case. Sueanne Hobson orchestrated the murder of her step-son with the help of her son who testified against her in court. She was convicted in 1982- she and her coconspirators got life in prison. Fast forward to 2011- Suanne was paroled and so were her coconspirators: So much for life in prison (what a joke our prison system is)--- The best is yet to come though: I was thoroughly stunned that her husband remarried her (after divorcing her) and they remain together after her being paroled. What a piece of garbage he is: She murdered his son and yet he remarried her. How absolutely dreadful that is.
I guess his son was expendable.

Last edited:
I am shocked there is a thread about this case: I just watched a show on Evil Stepmothers about this case. Sueanne Hobson orchestrated the murder of her step-son with the help of her son who testified against her in court. She was convicted in 1982- she and her coconspirators got life in prison. Fast forward to 2011- Suanne was paroled and so were her coconspirators: So much for life in prison (what a joke our prison system is)--- The best is yet to come though: I was thoroughly stunned that her husband remarried her (after divorcing her) and they remain together after her being paroled. What a piece of garbage he is: She murdered his son and yet he remarried her. How absolutely dreadful that is.
I guess his son was expendable.
I can't even picture that scenario with any seriousness. You have my son killed and I keep remarrying you? UHHHHH, no. :mad: He sounds like he has multiple screws that need tightening.

Unfortunately earlier in my life, I got into trouble in Kansas and served time with this vial Woman. SHe truly was Evil, and always believed she stood above Everyone. She would still talk of her dislike for that Poor young man

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back