Wind farms disfigure landscapes!

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Critics say such wind farms are white elephants, claiming that they are both unreliable and inefficient.

The turbines turn only in wind speeds of at least 10mph and produce their maximum output only when winds reach 33mph.

As a result, they are idle for a fifth of the time and, in a typical year, work at just 30 per cent of their capacity. If winds drop, coal, gas and nuclear power stations have to meet the shortfall instantly.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

I dislike these turbines. they've destroyed views of the lovely coastal area near me. :(

Critics say such wind farms are white elephants, claiming that they are both unreliable and inefficient.

The turbines turn only in wind speeds of at least 10mph and produce their maximum output only when winds reach 33mph.

As a result, they are idle for a fifth of the time and, in a typical year, work at just 30 per cent of their capacity. If winds drop, coal, gas and nuclear power stations have to meet the shortfall instantly.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

I dislike these turbines. they've destroyed views of the lovely coastal area near me. :(

But isn't that better then needing coal, gas or nuclear power 24/7?

Yes it's most probably better — i still dislike the destruction of natural beauty to my eye though. of course i'm speaking of the here and now not what global warming will be doing to the landscape unless the world looks sharp! :waitasec:

I don't know why they have to be white. They should camoflauge them with the background colors.

I don't know why they have to be white. They should camoflauge them with the background colors.

OH but then if someone was dumb and walked into the camouflaged pole on the hill they would be sued for not making them visable:)

OH but then if someone was dumb and walked into the camouflaged pole on the hill they would be sued for not making them visable:)

ROFL, yeah, you are probably right about that.

I am not going to disagree about them not looking nice... they don't. But if people don't find a better way to generate energy than using up all the non-renewable energy sources, and keep using energy that basically destroys the earth, there won't be much landscape left in the not-so-distant future anyway. Wind turbines are a very good source of natural energy and I'm definitely willing to put up with them.

They may not be pretty, but since my recent electric bill shocked me, I'd say, bring them on. I look out my front door and see an old fashined windmill across the road. It serves a stock tank for the cattle in that pasture. I am astounded the same people who want to ban US oil exploration, production and refining are the same ones who don't want their view spoiled by a wind turbine.

I wonder can they make some in Kansas? The parts of Kansas I am familiar with, a day without wind (what others think of as *WINDY* in fact) is rare. :waitasec:

I wonder can they make some in Kansas? The parts of Kansas I am familiar with, a day without wind (what others think of as *WINDY* in fact) is rare. :waitasec:
Well Kat, between here in far Eastern Colorado and over to Goodland, KS., it's a virtual wind tunnel. We had to go to Goodland the other day, 30 miles east of Burlington, CO to get some chicken feed and a part for the tractor. We were just about blown off I 70. Dodged multituded of thistle (aka, tumblin' tumbleweeds). Today is the first day with beautiful 65 degrees and NO WIND!!!!! We had about 3 days of solid 25-30 mph winds with gusts to 45-50. There are some wind farms going south of us.

I agree, they aren't much different than the old fashioned windmills. And certainly no more disfiguring to the landscape than the oil rigs offshore (and I've got no problem with them, actually. They are pretty far off, they look like little twinkling lights, and I like to think of all the people working away so I can drive home from the beach and go to work the next day.)

Wind energy doesn't provide that much in the overall picture, but every bit helps.

And birds will adapt.

Where they are in Texas, there aren't enough people to hear anything at all except perhaps a coyote or two.

I'll take the wind farm over another ugly subdivision anyday. If people are going to use energy willy-nilly, then they have to pick their poison: oil wells, natural gas, nuclear, coal, manure digestor with a methane burner, dams, wind turbines, giant field of solar collectors...Energy doesn't come from no where, it's not magic. If people want less power plants, then they have to USE LESS POWER! I work for an electric utility. We are known throughout the industry as one of the most forward thinking and leaders in energy efficiency...but people still are angry if you want to generate electricity in their "backyard".

They should put these along the gulf coast, so in case a hurricane occurs at the very least they'll be generating energy. I dunno. Probably a dumb idea.

I could do without the hurricane part but they could take advantage of the Gulf breezes.

I dont see them as much of a blight as I do cell phone towers or power poles with their criss cross of power lines.

As TheShadow says, gotta come from somewhere.

I am not going to disagree about them not looking nice... they don't. But if people don't find a better way to generate energy than using up all the non-renewable energy sources, and keep using energy that basically destroys the earth, there won't be much landscape left in the not-so-distant future anyway. Wind turbines are a very good source of natural energy and I'm definitely willing to put up with them.
It's not only about finding cleaner sources of energy, but conserving energy. Cleaner energy needs to go hand-in-hand with less wasteful lifestyles.

I give in — you've all convinced me of how selfish i am about views. yep, we need 'em.

Floh, with egg on her face and well and truly put in her place. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back