The Rape Allegations/Investigation

Hang in there philamena, don't think it's going cold, some things just take time.

Hey Tom's girl,
Sorry to be such a downer. I thought Cesar would be back in the US in jail by now. I never hear this case mentioned on cable news anymore. I hope people haven't lost interest in this case.

It's maddening, isn't it? How could he be this hard to find? How big is the reward? Maybe it's not big enough.
STEADFAST,
Yes, it is maddening. The beautiful Marine and her unborn baby deserve more than this. They deserve Justice. I know it takes time, but if Cesar is still in Mexico, imo the chance of him being found is slim to none. His 'brothers' are hiding him and hiding him good.

I must admit, you have a point. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part to think that someone in his command could have become suspicious of him in those last couple of days before he took off. It's terrible to think that someone that evil could fool absolutely everyone around him.

Yes, I think it is terrible too and it is very hard to not look at this with overwrought emotions but they really had nothing to hold him on. All the cards seemed to stack in his favor.

I am not even convinced that he is in Mexico. Strange the only ones that have said he is there is his own family and no other person in Mexico.

I keep thinking about James Sullivan and how long it took to bring him to justice for hiring a hitman to murder his wife. It was 19 years and 6 of those years there was an earth-wide manhunt too yet when found in Thailand it took over 6 years to get him back to the US.

I think if they find Laurean it will be when they are looking for another fugitive.

imoo

It is completely illogical to suggest that any civilian Sheriff should know all the ins-and-outs of the hierarchy of the military, and which specific hoops are required to be jumped through before the Marines on that base will cooperate with an investigation. The Marine Corps commanders withheld from the Sheriff's office any information regarding the rape charges against Laurean.

I don't blame the Sheriff; he had the horrible task of recovering the bodies of Maria and Gabriel. He did not go to the big parties on their graves on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve which Laurean threw for his 'buddies'.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4130098
"Brown said commanders at Camp LeJeune were not aware of the rape accusation until he told them about it on January 9."
"He also explained to the military commanders that Laurean's lawyers were preventing police from questioning him."
"The probe into Lauterbach's accusations had been handled in a low, or 'downhill' level, Brown said.

Sheriff Brown was deeply moved about finding Maria and Gabriel so brutally murdered, burned, and buried. I have not seen a similar human response from anyone on that base. All I've seen is :liar: .

There has been so much misinformation published about this case.

Of course the USMC did know about the rape allegations........they were the ones that turned it over to NCIS for investigation and it was being investigated and proceeding toward an Article 32 and still is being investigated. The rape allegation is handled judicially strictly by NCIS and the Unit Commander not the local police department. The alleged rape occurred on base not in the civilian population. Sheriff Brown has no jurisdiction over any of the military bases there just as the USMC has no legal jurisdiction over the population at large living in the county.

Sheriff Brown's investigative team did have Laurean's name on 12-19-07 however it was given by the MC to a lower OCSD detective and he put it in his report. The problem was SB was so busy by then when all of this blew up into national media attention that he had not read his notes that his detective had given him. SB later came out and verified that to the press that Laurean's name was in his detective's police report.

The military commanders cannot override anyone's rights by making them speak to police or stop them from obtaining a lawyer.

It is obvious for whatever reasons there was much muddiness and cloudiness in Maria's allegations and Maria is the one that put those things in play. Why she made inconsistent statements and readjusted her statements I guess we will never know but there were many things wrong with the case and we have to remember that the MC knew before this that Maria had told absolutely an outlandish story about her dad killing her brother with a lamp, which landed her six months in counseling and who knows what else they had in their file.

Personally I don't see any evidence she was raped and I believe they had a relationship that went bad. I do believe she was very attached to her family especially her mother and could only tell her mom a story where she would accept it where Mary would not pass judgment on Maria for not only having sex without marriage but one with a married man who already had a child. She even states to the MC that the pregnancy is not from the rape.

imoo

It is obvious for whatever reasons there was much muddiness and cloudiness in Maria's allegations and Maria is the one that put those things in play. Why she made inconsistent statements and readjusted her statements I guess we will never know but there were many things wrong with the case and we have to remember that the MC knew before this that Maria had told absolutely an outlandish story about her dad killing her brother with a lamp, which landed her six months in counseling and who knows what else they had in their file.

Personally I don't see any evidence she was raped and I believe they had a relationship that went bad. I do believe she was very attached to her family especially her mother and could only tell her mom a story where she would accept it where Mary would not pass judgment on Maria for not only having sex without marriage but one with a married man who already had a child. She even states to the MC that the pregnancy is not from the rape.

imoo

That line of reasoning is known as blame-and-shame-the-victim. What do you figure happened next? Did the woman who had lied and sinned her way into this mess grab a crowbar and bash her own skull in? And did she then crawl out to the backyard, dig her own grave, set herself on fire, send out party invitations and lead a rousing chorus of 'For He's A Jolly Good Fellow' in honor of the stellar Laurean?

Or is it more likely that after being raped, impregnated by the rapist, punched in the face, had her car keyed, etc., that she was threatened that if she intended to go forth with prosecuting the rape, she would be murdered?

snipped -

There has been so much misinformation published about this case.

imoo

you're absolutely right.......it's exactly how i see it also

now it doesn't make Maria a bad person....she got in over her head with the lying, IMO....when she flip-flopped on her story, of course the MC were suspicious, but they didn't stop investigating.......we have no idea what kind of conversation, with Cesar, led to her death, but i think when she wasn't able to get Cesar to leave his wife & child, Maria 'blew up', gave Cesar some kind of ultimatum (sp) & he killed her......

hard to believe he's still out there somewhere, & can't be found:mad:

I guess the MC don't have a great track record with finding murderers within their group either. We have all heard the stories of how rape victims are treated by all of the branches of the service...so I am not going to say that Maria did or did not get caught up in "lies" or if she changed her stories because of the pressure from her higher ups. Stellar is a word they used to describe that who killed a woman and his unborn child then burn their lifeless bodies!! Kinda makes me ill to even type it. They used this term AFTER they knew what he had done to them!

Stellar is a word they used to describe that who killed a woman and his unborn child then burn their lifeless bodies!! Kinda makes me ill to even type it. They used this term AFTER they knew what he had done to them!

They were quoting his record, SS, in the context of identifying him and giving a short bio for the reporters. They did not say that they consider him a stellar Marine NOW.

"This was his first duty station after completing his required training. He had not deployed in support of the Global War on Terrorism. He was meritoriously promoted to Corporal on September 2nd, 2006, and his record indicates he was a stellar Marine."

About Maria, the spokesman said,
"This was her first duty station after completing her required training. She had not deployed in support of the Global War on Terrorism. She was promoted to Lance Corporal on February 1st, 2007, and her record indicates she was a solid Marine."

He's just quoting from their records. "Meritorious promotion," "stellar," and "solid" are words used in the Marine performance-review forms.

Yes, but it should have been left out of that press conference. There was absolutely NO reason to have included it...particularly when they were going to do a disservice to her by reading her's afterward. It was in poor taste.

That was the only press conference. The Marine Corps has not made any further statement.

She was a Marine.

He still is.:sick:

They are not doing enough to find this man. I am afraid that after the media attention wore off they just let him slip away.. The whole thing is BS. These are marines they can find him! They are trained to hunt down and find terrorists,insurgents etc. in countries they never set foot in before..Believe me they could find this guy! What's up with the wife? I hope they are still keeping an eye on that one too..I never felt she was innocent in all this by any means.

They recalled the wife to active duty. Immediately. And he is not exactly MIA. They are not looking. They know where they are.

They're both probably in Iraq earning extra stellar stars murdering baby puppies. :mad:

Local congressman Mike Turner has sent a letter to the Marine Corps asking for answers in the case. It was reported by Dayton TV station today. Link is on Lauren in Mexico thread. Corp responded that a congressional inquiry is always serious.

Thanks, Crime-Dreamer. I had missed it! It is good to know someone is putting some pressure on them.

Congressman Turner's full letter to Marine Corp. Turner is a member of the Armed Forces Committee and the Congressman for the district where the Lauterbach family lives. He says he was told on the phone that the matter was concluded. He states in the letter that he disagrees and wants answers to the questions listed in the letter. This is from an NBC national news site. Looks like the national news is picking it up now.

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2008-03-11-0020.html#s

Just read the first article Crime Dreamer posted.It says that Maria was staying off base with Jennifer Renna,I thought that she was staying at Sgt Durham's??Am I missing something here?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back