CA - New photo shows an aging Charles Manson

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he EVER get the possibility of parole??? He was sentenced to death, then California decided to drop the death penalty, but why wasn't that changed to life with no possible parole? How can that even be a consideration after what he was responsible for? Dear Lord, what that group did to the pregnant Sharon Tate alone qualifies for never being allowed out into society again.

"[A]ny prisoner now under a sentence of death ... may file a petition for writ of habeas corpus in the superior court inviting that court to modify its judgment to provide for the appropriate alternative punishment of life imprisonment or life imprisonment without possibility of parole specified by statute for the crime for which he was sentenced to death." 1972 - California v. Anderson

Doesn't matter - Chuck's not going anywhere and he knows it. He didn't even show up for his 2007 hearing.

"[A]ny prisoner now under a sentence of death ... may file a petition for writ of habeas corpus in the superior court inviting that court to modify its judgment to provide for the appropriate alternative punishment of life imprisonment or life imprisonment without possibility of parole specified by statute for the crime for which he was sentenced to death." 1972 - California v. Anderson

Doesn't matter - Chuck's not going anywhere and he knows it. He didn't even show up for his 2007 hearing.

Thank you, Fishee, for the correction. So I assume that the crimes for which Manson was convicted simply didn't carry LWOP as a penalty.

Thinking about Gardener --which I rarely do until I read this post today --- still brings tears to my eyes. What Amber and Cheseas' families went through and still endure gives me chills. Most people cherish their children.
As far as Manson, it's amazing that he could EVER be considered for parole. One sad thing about his case that stood out was that when he was let out before the Tate and LaBianca (sp?) murders; he pleaded NOT to be freed, saying (paraphrased) " Please don't let me out, I wouldn't know how to survive in the real world.." . I think that Manson was quoted saying that in "Helter Skelter' , but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I read that.
I think the pain of the victims' families has not subsided and there would be an outcry if Manson was actually freed. I don't live in the state where he's incarcerated, but might be influenced to write to that prison in oppostion of the release of any of Mansons' followers --if it looked like any of them were to be freed.
Some of his followers have 'found religion' and are supposedly different now.
But their crimes still endure as some of the most heinous ever committed.
jmo

He's getting that cloudy look in his eyes that I've seen when older people start to fade away.

He might not be around a lot longer. I call it "when the light starts to leave their eyes" look.

A very severely mentally ill and very dangerous man.

John Albert Gardner III, serving life in prison for the rapes and murders of two North County teens, is sharing a unit with mass-murderer Charles Manson.

The sex offender pleaded guilty to the rapes and murders of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido, and Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

Both close to my heart, as these cases happened here in San Diego. I find it fitting that Gardner has to spend his days and nights with one of the worst mad-men in history!

Can I get an AMEN!

Mel

They should duke it out in prison.

I think he did less than 30 years as a free man. He was in his 30s or 40s when arrested for these murders, and had already served more than half his life in institutions, so really, he has no concept of how to survive in the world. What's really odd is that there are so many criminals out there that equal, if not exceed, his atrocities, yet for some reason they don't hold the same interest with the public as Manson and his girls. I wonder why that is.

You're correct about the interest.If I am flipping through the Guide and I spy something about Manson I always go to that channel...even if I have seen it 50times before.

I've posted this before on WS but can't remember which thread.

Back in the early 80's I was in college. I had the opportunity to read a letter that CM had written in response to a letter he received in jail. It was brought into the classroom by another student.

It was about 3 or 4 pages of rambling. With drawings and scribbled words along the margins. The man is what we could label with the legal term insane. Completely out of touch with reality for the most part. I can only imagine he's worse now.

I read a book (I've read quite a few about CM so I can't remember which one ) but it seems IIRC he had been in KY (or some state adjacent possibly) prior to his going out West and he was thieving or some such on farmers land. The farmers shot his backside full of rock salt. IIRC it was said he said he'd never go back to those parts again. I always remember the rock salt thing whenever CM's name comes up in the news for some reason lol. Just sharing.

John Albert Gardner III, serving life in prison for the rapes and murders of two North County teens, is sharing a unit with mass-murderer Charles Manson.

The sex offender pleaded guilty to the rapes and murders of Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido, and Chelsea King, 17, of Poway.

Both close to my heart, as these cases happened here in San Diego. I find it fitting that Gardner has to spend his days and nights with one of the worst mad-men in history!

Can I get an AMEN!

Mel

A big Amen from me! I followed Amber's case from Day 1 and hold a special and dear place in my heart for her.

I'm suprised Manson is still alive!! Do we know if he has any illnesses...well besides his mental issues?

I don't even think he'd want to get out at this point. Where would he go? He spent more than half is life in prison....a place he probably calls home.

On a side note....how did he get a cellphone? Twice? :what:

Could Charles Manson Friend You on Facebook?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1727419/could-charles-manson-friend-you-on-facebook

I don't even think he'd want to get out at this point. Where would he go? He spent more than half is life in prison....a place he probably calls home.

He's said as much in the past.

It's the only life he knows.

In reality, he was and still is, nothing but a man with a talent for finding weak minds and bending them to his will. He didn't have the guts or kill for himself, so he got weaker minds to do it.

If he stays in, he stays in. If he gets out, he gets another group of weak minds, and they commit crimes under his urging that they likely would have eventually committed on their own anyway. He's nothing but a catalyst, and he can do that with letters from prison, just as easily as in person. He's a danger, to some extent, as long as he lives, on the outside or the inside.

I'm more concerned about the people that would flock to him upon his release, if he were ever released.

Kat, that cloudy fading-away look is the very first thing I noticed about the picture. Stupid criminal - didn't even correctly commit the revenge murder his minions carried out - all of that Manson "family" was just a bunch of pathetic, violent, sadistic, common losers. And Mr. "Hiding in the Cabinet Under the Bathroom Sink" is the worst of them all. Meh.

In reality, he was and still is, nothing but a man with a talent for finding weak minds and bending them to his will. He didn't have the guts or kill for himself, so he got weaker minds to do it.

If he stays in, he stays in. If he gets out, he gets another group of weak minds, and they commit crimes under his urging that they likely would have eventually committed on their own anyway. He's nothing but a catalyst, and he can do that with letters from prison, just as easily as in person. He's a danger, to some extent, as long as he lives, on the outside or the inside.

I'm more concerned about the people that would flock to him upon his release, if he were ever released.

He did commit murder himself. There are several murders that they think he committed, just can't prove it or find the bodies. I may be wrong, but I thought he did Shorty Shay himself.

It's so weird that Manson is considered the epitome of evil. He was actually a product of institutionalization combined with a sociopathic personality and delusions of grandeur. The people that followed him were the ones to worry about. If not him, it would have been someone else. They were prime for being manipulated and actively looked for it.

The person who I think was much scarier was Kuklinski. Now that man was evil. He wasn't crazy or delusional, which I think makes it even worse. The way he killed people, and the fact that he tested out new methods of killing on innocent people are shocking. He tried out poisoning by walking down the street, pretending to sneeze, and squirting a random person in the face with his concoction; all just to check the effectiveness of his technique. Then go home to his wife and kids like he was a regular Joe on the streets.

Off topic to Manson but on topic to Mayra's post directly above mine.

Here is a link to watch The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Hitman a Documentary of Kuklinski that features him speaking. (Link is to part one, there are two parts to this and you can view it online free).

He gave me freakin' nightmares after I watched this with my Husband.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-iceman-confessions-of-a-mafia-hitman/

Sorry for the offtopic but wanted to share.

Wow, he looks pretty rough but he's always looked nuts. I remember reading Helter Skelter when I was around 14-great book.

Thinking about Gardener --which I rarely do until I read this post today --- still brings tears to my eyes. What Amber and Cheseas' families went through and still endure gives me chills. Most people cherish their children.
As far as Manson, it's amazing that he could EVER be considered for parole. One sad thing about his case that stood out was that when he was let out before the Tate and LaBianca (sp?) murders; he pleaded NOT to be freed, saying (paraphrased) " Please don't let me out, I wouldn't know how to survive in the real world.." . I think that Manson was quoted saying that in "Helter Skelter' , but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I read that.
I think the pain of the victims' families has not subsided and there would be an outcry if Manson was actually freed. I don't live in the state where he's incarcerated, but might be influenced to write to that prison in oppostion of the release of any of Mansons' followers --if it looked like any of them were to be freed.
Some of his followers have 'found religion' and are supposedly different now.

But their crimes still endure as some of the most heinous ever committed.
jmo
They won't be, the outrage that still exists in California is too great. I was a young girl living in L.A. when the murders were committed. I still remember what happened.
Susan Atkins tried to get released based on her breast cancer- she was denied and died in prison!

Charles Manson is no different from Osama bin Laden or Fred Phelps. Megalomaniacs with a god complex. :crazy:

Old Charlie will NEVER get out and will die in prison.

I don't want him walking the streets ever.
First off, Old Charlie is a prison boy, forever and foremost.

Second, every loser out here wants to follow some God, (So, they think) like
Charlie. I don't understand but I'm sure his fans are widespread- still.
He has this influence over the lost generation and this will continue even
after he is gone.

Goz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads