GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given thought to the idea of blue clothing. I looked at my husband's wardrobe. And I thought about my son's wardrobe. They both wear a lot of blue. I think most men do. There are various shades of blue, but I see most men wearing mostly blue of some sort. Even a lot of work uniforms are blue. How many of you men posting here have more than one or two blue (any shade) shirts?

And how many households have blue towels? I know I have several blue towels. I think it is very common. Probably one of the most common.

I am going to see if I can find any information about that.

I'm not sure how this will bear out. When I read what GM said about LE collecting "blue and gray" articles from McD's apartment, I wondered about the forensic aspect.

Unless the evidence item collected is really rare, how can it be conclusively linked to the fibers allegedly found on Lauren's body? In my mind it would not be conclusive, because as you said there are a million mass produced blue and gray items in the world. But it would be part of the building block of evidence linking McD to Lauren's murder.

Something like ...Fibers from a towel which belongs to McD and was found in his apartment, match fibers found on Lauren Giddings body-

I followed your link, but I do not see anything about him exhibiting any attraction to her in it. Am I missing it? Not being rude. I really don't see it.

Police have yet to reveal a possible motive in this case, but the Giddings family tell WJZ that they believe it was a case of fatal attraction.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/08/06/funeral-planned-for-md-woman-found-slain-in-georgia/

If her family believes this may have been the motive, I'm sure they have a reason for this.
They would have the best info IMO regarding SM, their relationship, things she told her close friends, etc...

I'm not sure how this will bear out. When I read what GM said about LE collecting "blue and gray" articles from McD's apartment, I wondered about the forensic aspect.

Unless the evidence item collected is really rare, how can be specifically matched to the fibers allegedly found on Lauren's body? In my mind it would not be conclusive, because as you said there are a million mass produced blue and gray items in the world. But it would be part of the building block of evidence linking McD to Lauren's murder.

I hope if they are being matched, it is pretty conclusive. With varying shades and dyes, it could be done. I was thinking about how many people have a ton of blue. It isn't really a good pointer in his direction. Now, if he had a ton of lime green shirts, maybe. I would have said orange, but one of the Mercer colors is orange. I bet there is a lot of that there, too.

I agree and I also think most people are pretty good about searching out and posting links for their sources so everyone else can see for themselves what was said in a particular article or from a particular source. From what I can tell, if you don't post a link for your source, someone will usually ask for it and others will help find it.
I know others like myself bookmark everything and are happy to provide a link if we have it handy. But in fairness, the burden is on the poster making the assertion to provide the link. I'm not referring to you or any one in particular, I promise, but I do get a little peeved with posters who consistenly rely on others to supply links to support their posts. It's a problem sitewide. Google is your friend, everyone!

If her family believes this may have been the motive, I'm sure they have a reason for this.
They would have the best info IMO regarding SM, their relationship, things she told her close friends, etc...

I see it more as hoping that was the reason rather than thinking it was pure hate or evil out there directed at her. If they think he did it because he wanted and loved her so much, it might make it a little easier.

Whether McD did this or not, I am not seeing any evidence he was drooling after her. Nothing. I have to think that may not be behind this crime. I feel if he did do this crime, it was to see if he could do it. Not for any lost chance at love, but an opportunity to see if he had the b@lls to do it. More of a challenge to himself. She was simply convenient. Again, that is IF he did it.

Recent Mercer University law school graduate Stephen Mark McDaniel was absent from a bar-exam preparation class on the Monday before the remains of his classmate and neighbor, Lauren Giddings, were discovered outside their Georgia Avenue apartment building, according to a person close to the investigation.

Glenda McDaniel has said that her son was present at the classes held June 27 through June 29, the day before Giddings’ remains were found

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html#ixzz1UmrSRLm4

This whole article is full of details.

New article:

Source: McDaniel missed 2nd classhttp://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html
Mother of suspected Lauren Giddings killer remains faithful

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html#ixzz1UmnQo8qS

This class was discussed many times, and it was noted many times he had never missed any classes until June 30th. I am going to keep this in reserve until it is verified some other way. It is significant, if true. If it is someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from ... then not so important. Definitely, something to keep a lookout on for more info.

Thanks!

Yes, missing that Monday is potentially much more significant to me. I would like to know if he had perfect attendance or not before though. Missing two days in a week (one of which cannot be excused by the police/search issues) would seem to be abnormal for him?

I hope if they are being matched, it is pretty conclusive. With varying shades and dyes, it could be done. I was thinking about how many people have a ton of blue. It isn't really a good pointer in his direction. Now, if he had a ton of lime green shirts, maybe. I would have said orange, but one of the Mercer colors is orange. I bet there is a lot of that there, too.
I agree that blue is very common color for clothing, especially men's clothing. The fibers wouldn't be matched by color only, though. A number of factors would be identified, like natural and synthetic components, grade, diameter and length of the strands, to name a few. The forensics can get very specific.

The forensics can be amazing when it comes to fibers, but I am worried it will be the most generic fiber ever. Like, a generic Wal-mart blue shirt that 50% of the men in the city probably own. I am not sure that would be specific enough to point toward him or anyone else really.
It would be much better if it was imported Italian silk or something :p

I agree that blue is very common color for clothing, especially men's clothing. The fibers wouldn't be matched by color only, though. A number of factors would be identified, like natural and synthetic components, grade, diameter and length of the strands, to name a few. The forensics can get very specific.

I think so, too. I was pointing out his having a lot of blue, by itself, isn't something to stand on as some sort of proof that he did this. Too many people have tons of blue in their homes. They will have to do an indepth analysis to match it up.

I've not studied forensics, but my guess would be that the color is simply the most
obvious clue as to the source of the fiber they're looking for. The real evidence may
be something unique trapped within the fiber(s) (microscopic?) that could tie them
directly to something he owns.
This is just a guess though :)

Friday, August 12, 2011

Source: McDaniel Missed 2nd Class
Recent Mercer University law school graduate Stephen Mark McDaniel was absent from a bar-exam preparation class on the Monday before the remains of his classmate and neighbor, Lauren Giddings, were discovered outside their Georgia Avenue apartment building, according to a person close to the investigation.

McDaniel also was absent from the class on the morning Giddings’ torso was discovered. The class began at the same time as Macon police arrived at the complex.

Coming Monday: Chat with the Reporters Covering the Lauren Giddings Case
Macon.com and Telegraph staff writers Amy Leigh Womack and Joe Kovac Jr. will be online Monday, Aug. 15, at 1 p.m. to discuss the Lauren Giddings homicide.

The forensics can be amazing when it comes to fibers, but I am worried it will be the most generic fiber ever. Like, a generic Wal-mart blue shirt that 50% of the men in the city probably own. I am not sure that would be specific enough to point toward him or anyone else really.

Even so, a match could help when added to a bunch of other evidence, which I think they have...JMO

In mid-July, after an employee at the Gray Highway Wal-Mart told a Telegraph reporter that Stephen McDaniel had bought rain ponchos there and that police had inquired there. A law enforcement source familiar with the case said authorities had found ponchos in Stephen McDaniel’s apartment. But the law enforcement source did not say whether the ponchos had any bearing on the case.

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html

This is the first official report I've seen about the ponchos, which AngelAnalyzes received a tip about.
AngelAnalyzes +2 points :rocker:

OT -- Reminds me of the JonBenet Ramsey case and the Israeli made wool shirt owned by John Ramsey. A fiber matching that shirt was found in a strategic location on little JonBenet's body.

I think so, too. I was pointing out his having a lot of blue, by itself, isn't something to stand on as some sort of proof that he did this. Too many people have tons of blue in their homes. They will have to do an indepth analysis to match it up.
For sure! Blue and gray fibers are everywhere. What I found remarkable about his mother's revelation was not the search for blue clothing/textiles. The wow factor was his mother stating LE was looking for blue clothing/textiles followed by the admission that her son owns a whole lotta blue. :waitasec:

Sway others with writing styles and reputations. I disagree, newcomers are able to form their own opinions based on what they hear in the media and their own personal intuitions about the case.

My opinion is McD murdered Lauren. I speak to and respond to posts that are similar to what I theorize happened in this case. If I don't agree with an alternate theory I skip over the post.

By sway, I don't necessarily mean an intentional misrepresenting of anything.

Yes, newcomers can form their own opinions based on what they hear/read from outside sources and feel in their guts, of course. But they could do that without coming here hoping to discuss the case. And yes, sometimes, IMO, the emphatic and familiar way things are stated could leave an impression that things are facts that ...aren't.

That you speak to and respond to posts that correspond with your own theories -- sure nothing wrong with that. Some of us, I think, are just using this forum differently at this point. I read almost every post, because I don't yet have a firm opinion in this case. Just a difference in where we are with it. And have learned a lot from your posts, for sure, enjoy reading them, even when I don't agree. I also appreciate that usually, if I ask a question or ask for confirmation on something in your posts, you don't seem to take immediate offense or take an honest question for some kind of invitation to confrontation (or, if you do, you hide it well).

This class was discussed many times, and it was noted many times he had never missed any classes until June 30th. I am going to keep this in reserve until it is verified some other way. It is significant, if true. If it is someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from ... then not so important. Definitely, something to keep a lookout on for more info.

Thanks!

The Telegraph has used that "source close to the investigation" citation several times in the last week or so -- didn't do that so much earlier.

Sounds like they are trying to weed out rumors from facts kinda like we are, with some of the things covered in this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member