Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following the WS posts since the very beginning, and don't recall that retracted Twitter. Was there any discussion on here at all about it?
Given the very careful efforts by LE to keep details realeased to a minimum, and LE being aware of private individuals with access to police communications, I would be very surprised that the finding of remains would be broadcast over police band radio. JMO.

I recall that tweet and commented that IMO that guy would most likely never be part of the Search and Rescue group again. He supposedly was a 'spotter' for a SAR group. He broke protocol in a big way.

don't have actual tweet but here is what I wrote:

07-05-2014, 06:24 PM #896

puppyraiser

Quote Originally Posted by celtgirl68 View Post
Given that the police may not have yet told the family (if this tweet is true) it's horrible that he would tweet about it.

I would not be surprised if he finds himself no longer part of the Civil Search and Rescue group and his SAR credentials taken away. Huge no no what he did.

The caption mentioned "as part of the search for the bodies", why that building or area? Why would that location be suspect for a body disposal? They could be searching for the reason you stated also, but the mention of body search makes me think they thought he was at the location with bodies before his arrest.

Maybe it's just as simple as them searching abandoned lots and properties because they would be convenient for DG that evening. Do locals know of any other big abandoned lots on the route from the crime scene to the acreage? Perhaps LE is 'thinking like a murderer' and contemplating 'if I killed 3 people where would I go to hide in the middle of the night'? Certainly not in a well traveled part of town, certainly not in a residential area, certainly not by a business with active surveillance cameras. JMO.

Going back to the comments made at the first press conference ... does anyone have a link? I think the father said that Nathan had strong faith and his soul was with God, and the mother said that her mother would have been protecting her son ... arms around him comment? I really liked the comment Nathan's dad made: the older he got, the kinder he became. He was holding a butterfly that his son had made for him. I'm not 100% I got it right, but revisiting those comments might reveal a lot about what happened ... knowing what we know now.[/QUOTE]
Unable to quickly find the link to the initial press conference, but when JO said what she did about the grandmother holding NO tightly... Do you 'spose she was she referring (in hindsight) to KL or to her own grandmother who passed away Oct 4/11?

I've learned that military can haul a 200 pound body, but could the accused haul up to 200 pounds of dead weight times three out of the house in an hour? Dragging, he could accomplish dragging someone out of the house, but the Amber Alert said that the child might be in the company of his grandfather ... which suggested that his grandmother might not be there and his grandfather was not dragged out of the house ... which suggested that the drag marks might relate to the grandmother ... which means that he hauled the grandmother out of the house and left drag marks. If he had to drag the short 130 pound grandmother to get her out of the house, how did he get the 200 pound six foot grandfather out of the house?

Going back to the comments made at the first press conference ... does anyone have a link? I think the father said that Nathan had strong faith and his soul was with God, and sthe mother said that her mother would have been protecting her son ... arms around him comment? I really liked the comment Nathan's dad made: the older he got, the kinder he became. He was holding a butterfly that his son had made for him. I'm not 100% I got it right, but revisiting those comments might reveal a lot about what happened ... knowing what we know now.

Here is the link http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nathan-o-brien-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198

I think the parents knew the fate of their son already during that press conference. JO was numb and RO holding the butterfly paints imagery of flying away and angels, IMO. Also saying he was their superhero now as if he had a fight with evil. :(

As another poster has mentioned, and the removal of the bedding from the landfill suggests, it would be possible to drag a heavy man by placing him on top of a blanket and pulling the blanket in the same manner someone would drag a heavy piece of furniture.

I wonder if the blood in the home was mixed between two or three of the vicitms therefor making it harder to perform DNA tests and that could explain the lapse of time between medical distress and confirmed death.

Milk chutes were popular in the 1950's up until the late 60's. The L's home was built in the 80's, long after milk delivery became obsolete. Builders stopped building them in as a feature.
Was there something posted about their house being built in the 80's? It doesn't fit the 80's style of architecture and that area was around well before the 80's.

Was wondering about something. As WS will recall, when LE originally went to the farm, someone from a professional organization not MSM twittered that the remains of the family were discovered on the farm. He later removed the twitter but when questioned he said he listened to police radio and heard that the remains had been located of the three victims perhaps I speculate in that tented area discussed on WS. What I am wondering is and I don't believe this person was lying, what was said on police radio? Did LE originally believe they had discovered the remains on the farm putting together the fact that later they said they have enough evidence to determine death and death by homicide? If so how does still looking for the bodies come into this?

This is graphic imagery ahead. One of my theories was that the bodies were dissolved in acid or lye. This would leave a goopy substance behind, it could be washed down a drain or found in trace amounts from spillage. This is not too far fetched IMO as DG is a criminal, a thief, and a chemist, and lives on a farm. All of those factors lead me to believe that he would be able to obtain these materials and know how to use them and he had 4 days to do so.

I just viewed the Calgary crime map for homicides here http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/content/DisclaimerPage.aspx

I noticed that only 2 homicides are listed for the Liknes home which I found interesting given the numerous media reports that one of the 3 victims might have left the home alive. IMO the blood at the scene might have confirmed 2 deaths and there was no DNA evidence for the 3rd. Perhaps one victim did not require as much force, or left alive and was killed elsewhere.

Was there something posted about their house being built in the 80's? It doesn't fit the 80's style of architecture and that area was around well before the 80's.

The house completely fits with the 80's style, the type of vinyl siding, windows and siding vents were common to that era. It was likely built on the lot after the original house was torn down.

I just viewed the Calgary crime map for homicides here http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/content/DisclaimerPage.aspx

I noticed that only 2 homicides are listed for the Liknes home which I found interesting given the numerous media reports that one of the 3 victims might have left the home alive. IMO the blood at the scene might have confirmed 2 deaths and there was no DNA evidence for the 3rd. Perhaps one victim did not require as much force, or left alive and was killed elsewhere.

Hmmm....very interesting.

That's very interesting. What if DG killed the grandparents in the house and took NO he may have been rattled, unsure of what to do since he didn't expect him to be there. When they searched the neighbourhood the second time they were looking for places that a child might hide if frightened .... maybe they had reason to believe that NO left the house alive .... then later found evidence at the G property to suggest that he had been killed there.

New thread coming up, I'll move a few posts over. This one will close in 5 minutes.

I've learned that military can haul a 200 pound body, but could the accused haul up to 200 pounds of dead weight times three out of the house in an hour? Dragging, he could accomplish dragging someone out of the house, but the Amber Alert said that the child might be in the company of his grandfather ... which suggested that his grandmother might not be there and his grandfather was not dragged out of the house ... which suggested that the drag marks might relate to the grandmother ... which means that he hauled the grandmother out of the house and left drag marks. If he had to drag the short 130 pound grandmother to get her out of the house, how did he get the 200 pound six foot grandfather out of the house?

Going back to the comments made at the first press conference ... does anyone have a link? I think the father said that Nathan had strong faith and his soul was with God, and sthe mother said that her mother would have been protecting her son ... arms around him comment? I really liked the comment Nathan's dad made: the older he got, the kinder he became. He was holding a butterfly that his son had made for him. I'm not 100% I got it right, but revisiting those comments might reveal a lot about what happened ... knowing what we know now.

You are mixing old, less informed opinions, with what LE knows now. Perhaps at that time they suspected AL was the perp and rightly asked the public to keep an eye out for him. They now know different. If they may have thought she was the one dragged at some point, I'm pretty sure that opinion had changed. Several women have posted throughout this forum that they can carry and drag a dead weight, 200 pound body. It might be awkward, thus leaving blood and drag marks behind, but it is not as difficult as you make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam