Article on How to Vanish in Wired Magazine

T-Rex

Reaction score
There is the coolest, coolest, coolest article in this issue of Wired magazine--I thought of you all as I was reading it!! http://www.wired.com/vanish/2009/11/ff_vanish2/

A writer takes a challenge to disappear--and they turn it into a contest to see if readers can find him. They publish clues like ATM and cell phone records--and people form groups and take it from there. I was SO impressed with the tech angles, and things people came up with! Maybe we should invite some of those people to join here! Anyway, I think you guys will love this one!

Thanks T-Rex! That really is a cool article. I love stuff like that. I wish I had known about it when it was happening, but I don't have the 'tools' or the knowledge that those folks have. Still, if anyone had thought he was around my neighborhood, I could have at least looked out for him. Thanks again!

Wow! That is fascinating. I wish I had known too. I wouldn't have been able to find him, but it would have been fun to watch!

I read this earlier this month in the magazine. it was a really neat thing, but they did have to give more clues than i thought they were going to have to give. i think if they really tried to drop him off the radar, he wouldn't have been found for a long time at least! i did like reading about how he felt isolated etc and was always looking over his shoulder. also, he managed to change his appearance soo much!

I read this earlier this month in the magazine. it was a really neat thing, but they did have to give more clues than i thought they were going to have to give. i think if they really tried to drop him off the radar, he wouldn't have been found for a long time at least! i did like reading about how he felt isolated etc and was always looking over his shoulder. also, he managed to change his appearance soo much!

The side articles by the people who found him are interesting, and the photo collage of his disguises is hilarious.

I agree that he ended up trying to get caught at the end when they added the extra challenges and he started using more social networks. I suspect that they decided that the story was much less interesting, and readers would be put off if they joined the game and he was never found. It would have been very easy to just go to a cabin somewhere and stay there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back