WA - Washington's Missing Foster Kids

SheWhoetc, (can I call you that for short? :D ) - what awesome work! That map is just brilliant. I am sorry to hear there's even more kids... but why are they not -all- listed on the police/missing sites?

Claire, thank goodness for you! Yes, please, if you could remove the found ones.. Perhaps every now and then we can repost and mark off the ones who've been mentioned already. That'd be handy for people coming into the thread, and for knowing which kids don't have a WS page yet.

Silky - I can't be sure yet that the comment was from 'our' Nicholas/Kaite, as I think maybe s/he wouldn't sign "nick" if s/he's female identified. Will do a bit more digging before I call anything in.

Kaite was secretary of her school's "gay/straight alliance", which seems very active and proud. Yet - so little to be found on her disappearance... No news that I've found yet.

Omg, I need sleep. WS is antidote to zzz's tonight!

SheWhoetc, (can I call you that for short? :D ) - what awesome work! That map is just brilliant. I am sorry to hear there's even more kids... but why are they not -all- listed on the police/missing sites?

Claire, thank goodness for you! Yes, please, if you could remove the found ones.. Perhaps every now and then we can repost and mark off the ones who've been mentioned already. That'd be handy for people coming into the thread, and for knowing which kids don't have a WS page yet.

Silky - I can't be sure yet that the comment was from 'our' Nicholas/Kaite, as I think maybe s/he wouldn't sign "nick" if s/he's female identified. Will do a bit more digging before I call anything in.

Kaite was secretary of her school's "gay/straight alliance", which seems very active and proud. Yet - so little to be found on her disappearance... No news that I've found yet.

Omg, I need sleep. WS is antidote to zzz's tonight!

Thanks. And yes you can call me SheWho. :) To make the map, I actually had to combine several databases. I used NCMEC, NamUs, Charley Project, WSP, and WASPC. (And I know if I were to add the most recent "runaways" it would go up by at least 50.) That's nearly 200 children missing in one state. :sigh:

Thanks. And yes you can call me SheWho. :) To make the map, I actually had to combine several databases. I used NCMEC, NamUs, Charley Project, WSP, and WASPC. (And I know if I were to add the most recent "runaways" it would go up by at least 50.) That's nearly 200 children missing in one state. :sigh:

Well maybe we can make a dent in some of these. We have to be able to find at least one of them and bring added exposure to others. Then we move on to BC :D Im Canadian so that would interest me

200 is just an insane number, in my mind. That's the -entire population- of my daughter's first grade school!

I am glad to see that a portion of that number appear to show up safe and sound. What I'm shocked about (apart from the sheer volume of the missing) is that there's so many with little to no media coverage. Like Destiny Rose Hicks, missing -two years- now and there's nothing. Just nothing. :(

I would not be suprised at all if some of these missing kids either ran away or escaped from their foster homes and are living on the street with other alike kids, there's tons of "homeless" "street kids" in Seattle, many in the U District and Capital Hill (of course where other young people are).

Me either, North.. I have to wonder if some of them would show up as missing at all, if the foster parents hadn't reported them gone. It's SO not safe out there.

I'd be very surprised if the ones who are on the streets have no 'net access at all, though. I'm really hoping some will show up as activity on FB or Myspace accounts, etc. At least we'd know they're alive, if not where to find them. :(

I'll be making missing pages here for my two adoptees so far in the morning (sheesh, it IS the morning now!) or rather, after sleeps. I'm determined to have more than just the missing persons posters to add, though...

SheWho, That map and the Facebook pages are outstanding. Great job! It looks like a lot of work went into them. Do you think Washington has an unusual amount of missing children? Or is it in line with the population size for the state? I am generally interested in statistics but have never looked into the statistics on missing children by state.

Ausgirl, I removed the recovered children from the list upthread and added a note for some that were reported as being in foster care. So what is your plan for the next step?

I would not be suprised at all if some of these missing kids either ran away or escaped from their foster homes and are living on the street with other alike kids, there's tons of "homeless" "street kids" in Seattle, many in the U District and Capital Hill (of course where other young people are).

Oh probably, all the more reason to find them, the streets are awfully dangerous for a teen alone with no support, or the support ends up being pimps etc.

I was thinking - well, what I will be doing is one by one, 'adopting' some kids and putting feelers out for information, msm and otherwise, fb activity on confirmed-ID accounts, etc. Gathering whatever I can over the next couple days and making a WS thread for the ones who haven't got one. Then pick a couple more not already 'adopted' and rinse, repeat.

That's my plan so far. Feel free to add to it!!! :)

Oh - I forgot to add - and bumping threads for those who have one but haven't had any recent posts. :)

SheWho, That map and the Facebook pages are outstanding. Great job! It looks like a lot of work went into them. Do you think Washington has an unusual amount of missing children? Or is it in line with the population size for the state? I am generally interested in statistics but have never looked into the statistics on missing children by state.

Ausgirl, I removed the recovered children from the list upthread and added a note for some that were reported as being in foster care. So what is your plan for the next step?

Thank you. :) Washington certainly does have a high number of missing children. But if you consider the greater Seattle area and number of people there, I suppose it's not TOO surprising. Add in the fact that many serial killers have worked the northwest, especially that same Seattle area and the I5 corridor, and my surprise goes down. Add in the fact that Washington and Oregon are the #1 places in the country for sex-trafficking, and my surprise goes down even more. Are the numbers higher? Maybe a bit, yeah. I don't have any comparison statistics, really. But if they are, I can see a few reasons why that might be.

Also, from a Moderator perspective (;)) I just wanted to remind you all of the rules of Social Media. Especially since we're working with teenagers here.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Most definitely.

Some statistics from the National Runaway Safeline - http://www.1800runaway.org/learn/research/third_party/

And here's a link to a major shelter in Seattle that helps homeless teens - http://www.youthcare.org/

Those stats are pretty scary. :( And sad - especially the ones concerning how they ended up on the streets..

There's some hopeful ones, though:

Reaching Runaway Youth
In a convenience sample of young homeless adults internet use is fairly high with 46 percent reporting daily access and 93 percent reporting access at least once a week. Most of the youth surveyed accessed the internet from a social service agency (60%) or library (54%).

Just to be clear, when I mentioned FB, it was not for linking and such, just to report if there's been recent activity that might indicate they're alive and well somewhere. If that's okay, that is.

It's just frustrating to find -nothing- on these kids. I'm usually a cold case person - there's always msm, something, even one article to get started on.. here, nothing but the most basic info, not even what circumstances they went missing under, no extra info at all. It's a bit of a 'culture shock' you might say. :(

Serena Colborn, May 17, 2013 17 has absolutely nothing out there on her that I can find. Zippo.

I am getting very frustrated with zero information on these children, one just went missing Aug 1 and there is no article, nothing

Unfortunaly, 99% of children deemed "runaways" across the entire country get no media attention. None. Not even if their parents beg for some. There really has to be some "odd circumstances" or the chance that they went to meet someone online, or a direct appeal from LE for information, for media to even consider it. Hundreds of kids run away daily across the country. And how many do we hear about? ..... Yeah. (And if they're foster children? Forget about it.)

Do you think it might be worth opening individual threads for those that do not already have them? Or do you want to keep the discussion here until more information is gathered and then open a thread?

Yup, Claire, that was what I had intended. I'm thinking, maybe gather a bit of info (if there IS any to gather :( ) first and make a thread for your 'adoptees', or if there's an existing thread here, maybe bump/update it if it's got no recent posts.

Off to bed for me. Back for more sleuthing tomorrow! Thank you, everyone, for caring about these kids and heaps of thanks to those already working hard to keep them in focus and bring them home. <3

Just keep in mind when starting threads for some of these kids...with little to no MSM, and no "subscribe to updates" thing like on NCMEC, there's also no one to update you if they're found. So it'll involve constantly checking WSP to see if they've been found or their thread needs updating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back