FL - Orlando Cops Say They're Outmanned, Outgunned Downtown

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Orlando cop has broken ranks and says he and his colleagues in the downtown corridor are outmanned, outgunned, and scared.

"There's a lot of frustrations here among the officers on the street, and that's because we're behind the eight ball, behind the curve," said Office Chuck Hengehold. "We don't have enough officers, in my opinion, to handle the situation in a safe manner."

Officer Hengehold was a part of the original downtown unit formed in 1990 and believes the climate has changed.

"Last month, I was on Orange and Central and I could smell the gunpowder and see the gunsmoke. I just didn't see where it came from. That was kind of scary," he said.

During the first six months of 2007, police report six shootings in downtown Orlando. But officers say dozens more go
http://www.wftv.com/news/13634337/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Orlando cop has broken ranks and says he and his colleagues in the downtown corridor are outmanned, outgunned, and scared.

"There's a lot of frustrations here among the officers on the street, and that's because we're behind the eight ball, behind the curve," said Office Chuck Hengehold. "We don't have enough officers, in my opinion, to handle the situation in a safe manner."

Officer Hengehold was a part of the original downtown unit formed in 1990 and believes the climate has changed.

"Last month, I was on Orange and Central and I could smell the gunpowder and see the gunsmoke. I just didn't see where it came from. That was kind of scary," he said.

During the first six months of 2007, police report six shootings in downtown Orlando. But officers say dozens more go
The criminals have Uzi's and AK-47s; they can take on a lot of police at one time, with these weapons. Hopefully the illegals will all soon be swept up and deported. This should help considerably.

The criminals have Uzi's and AK-47s; they can take on a lot of police at one time, with these weapons. Hopefully the illegals will all soon be swept up and deported. This should help considerably.

The problem in Orlando has nothing to do with illegals. The gangs that exist there are Latin gangs.....but the members are here legally from Puerto Rico.

The problem in Orlando has nothing to do with illegals. The gangs that exist there are Latin gangs.....but the members are here legally from Puerto Rico.

This scares me very, very much because I grew up in Orlando and my family is still there. My sister just got a townhouse downtown with some girlfriends and the fact that the article specifically mentions downtown...makes me want to make my sister get the heck out of DT!!!! I am from PR and it makes me very angry that so there are so many Puerto Rican gangs out there, it just flat pisses me off because there are so many of us who work very hard and are very educated. I will also say though that they are not just Puerto Ricans in these gangs, there are Dominican's, Cubans and blacks.

This scares me very, very much because I grew up in Orlando and my family is still there. My sister just got a townhouse downtown with some girlfriends and the fact that the article specifically mentions downtown...makes me want to make my sister get the heck out of DT!!!! I am from PR and it makes me very angry that so there are so many Puerto Rican gangs out there, it just flat pisses me off because there are so many of us who work very hard and are very educated. I will also say though that they are not just Puerto Ricans in these gangs, there are Dominican's, Cubans and blacks.

I only lived in Orlando for a year.....I got out of there fast!!

And no it's not just Puerto Rican gangs....I guess my point was that this can't be blamed on illegal immigration because the vast majority are here legally.

I think the problem in Orlando is a MAJOR case of denial.....how can they admit to the gang problems when the majority of the city's revenue comes from tourism??

Just off the top of my head...I can name 8 gangs.....and this is only what I observed in the middle schools :eek:

I am confused as to why Illegals were even brought up on this thread since the article said nothing about that??

Illegals don't come to the US and start or join gangs.
Typically they work very hard to send money home to family or improve their quality of life here.

Yikes! My husband wants us to move to Orlando.
Now I have some good reasons not to go.

I am confused as to why Illegals were even brought up on this thread since the article said nothing about that??

Typically they work very hard to send money home to family or improve their quality of life here.

So true....I don't know why illegals are always brought up in the gang and crime threads:confused:

and I hate calling people illegals.............:bang:

Yikes! My husband wants us to move to Orlando.
Now I have some good reasons not to go.

Okay to be fair...there are some nice areas of Orlando, but there is a HUGE gang problem.....and ALOT of modern day racism.

So much for what you know; MS-13 came in as members of a gang to begin with, and yes, many of the gang members are illegals; go to L.A. and then tell me that illegals aren't gang members.

Operation Community Shield has resulted in the arrest of nearly 1,400 illegal immigrant gang members including hundreds of members of violent gangs like "MS-13."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/11/20051128-3.html

So much for what you know; MS-13 came in as members of a gang to begin with, and yes, many of the gang members are illegals; go to L.A. and then tell me that illegals aren't gang members.

Operation Community Shield has resulted in the arrest of nearly 1,400 illegal immigrant gang members including hundreds of members of violent gangs like "MS-13."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/11/20051128-3.html

Living in southern California I can tell you that there are illegals in gangs here. Most people sneaking over the border are hard-working people trying to earn a living and send money home to their families. But there is also a criminal element who thrive on the drug-trade, theft, prostitution and terrorizing people to make a quick buck.

It's people like you that make the "melting pot" concept work. Every immigrant minority goes through its scapegoating period, which ignores the tremendous amount of work for the country done by the new immigrants. If you're willing to work, become a citizen, and don't want to kill me because I don't believe exactly like you, you have my deepest welcome and respect.

Crypto6

That can't be good for tourism. My sister is a cop...8 shootings this year for her would be a dream come true. Spoke with her 2 weeks ago...she had to deal with 5 on a Friday night (3 fatal) and 4 more on Saturday (1 fatal). She said it's the freaking wild west. I'm thankful it's required on her force to wear kevlar vests with a steel plate inserts...yeah I know, crazy ain't it? I worry about her all the time...but after 22 years I guess she knows how to take care of herself.

Gang members targeted in Calif. sweep

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Law enforcement authorities fanned out across the city early Tuesday in a huge sweep of gang members aimed at taking down violent offenders.

More than 400 federal agents and local police officers took part in the campaign that started at around 4 a.m., said Mike Campbell, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The raids would be conducted throughout the day, Campbell said. He said the operation was one of the largest he had seen.

The effort was part of a wider crackdown that has taken place in recent months in cities nationwide and spearheaded by the U.S. Justice Department. It is aimed at gang members suspected of dealing drugs and committing violent crimes.

During one bust early Tuesday, agents charged through the front door of a house in a quiet residential neighborhood, setting off "flash-bang" grenades to stun suspects inside. Authorities detained four people at the ranch house.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070731/ap_on_re_us/calif_gang_busts

That can't be good for tourism. My sister is a cop...8 shootings this year for her would be a dream come true. Spoke with her 2 weeks ago...she had to deal with 5 on a Friday night (3 fatal) and 4 more on Saturday (1 fatal). She said it's the freaking wild west. I'm thankful it's required on her force to wear kevlar vests with a steel plate inserts...yeah I know, crazy ain't it? I worry about her all the time...but after 22 years I guess she knows how to take care of herself.
Geez, ain't that the truth; in Oakland, CA, they often have 8 shootings on a Friday night. Where is your sister a cop SadieMae??

What the heck does the racial/ legal status in California have to do with Orlando, Florida Buzz??
Your comparing Apples to Oranges.

MS-13 is attempting to nationalize. This is so frightening. They're getting all the gang leaders in various cities together in an attempt to become what the Mafia was years ago. The big difference, of course, was the Mafia did "hits," while MS-13 doesn't care who gets in the way. Their weapons, too, are much more sophisticated.

JUst my opinion... somehow MS-13 has to be controlled. Money would be much better spent against these gang members who are attempting to take over rather than spending money in Iraq. MS-13 is REALLY scarey, and I doubt that most people have ever heard of it.

http://www.altereddimensions.net/crime/MS13Gang.htm

Geez, ain't that the truth; in Oakland, CA, they often have 8 shootings on a Friday night. Where is your sister a cop SadieMae??
North of Detroit, Saginaw. Spoke with her last night. Said they were so busy over the last few weekends, bodies had to lay for hours before they could get to them. All they could do was tell the responding officer to rope it off and cover the body until they could break away to get to the next one. Geeeeeeeeze!

MS-13 is attempting to nationalize. This is so frightening. They're getting all the gang leaders in various cities together in an attempt to become what the Mafia was years ago. The big difference, of course, was the Mafia did "hits," while MS-13 doesn't care who gets in the way. Their weapons, too, are much more sophisticated.

JUst my opinion... somehow MS-13 has to be controlled. Money would be much better spent against these gang members who are attempting to take over rather than spending money in Iraq. MS-13 is REALLY scarey, and I doubt that most people have ever heard of it.

http://www.altereddimensions.net/crime/MS13Gang.htm

ITA. MS-13 is even in the rural areas folks. I mean even po'dunk East Tennessee has them here. It's a scary world and most people are keeping their eyes closed.

I have family & friends in LE and worry about them all the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back